PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Munitorum

LoneSniperSG
09-04-2008, 22:40
Is this book a worthwhile read, along the lines of Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer?

athamas
09-04-2008, 22:59
is it the one linked to the vraks campaign?

if so i believe its written in a very simular style to the IIUP, and thus should be a good if slightly twisted read.

Lord Cook
09-04-2008, 23:22
Definitely worth a read, yes. There's far less propaganda in it than IIUP, but it still has that "witty but not quite laugh out loud humour" running through it. I'd recommend going into GW and reading through it, but don't buy it unless you have the cash lying around.

rodmillard
10-04-2008, 01:01
Definitely worth the read, but don't buy it unless you're a committed fanboy (and by that I mean committed to a mental institution)

I skimmed through a friend's copy, and sniggered all the way through. It's not LOL funny, but it has its moments. IMO it deserves a place on the bookshelf next to the "Survivor's Guide To Dalek Attacks" which i do own.

LoneSniperSG
10-04-2008, 01:52
And a place next to The Zombie Survival Guide, which I own and carry with me everywhere. (No joke there.)

hush88
10-04-2008, 04:00
Oh yeah....but you hvae to fill up a couple of forms before you can get the book, and a couple more forms before you can start reading....:D

Light of the Emperor
10-04-2008, 05:46
It has a great list of punishable acts. "A person caught attempting suicide will be shot", "Failure to produce this book upon request will result in being shot". It talks about various imperial weapons and tanks too. I like it very much, though I only carry the primer with me for battles. My opponents always get a laugh when I start reading litanies from it during my shooting phase.

Shadowheart
10-04-2008, 06:58
Does it say anything about the armed forces of the Adeptus Munitorum itself? I'm interested in doing a Munitorum-themed IG army, so I'd get the book if it helps with that. Nothing I've heard so far sounds compelling though.

Spacker
10-04-2008, 07:07
Does it say anything about the armed forces of the Adeptus Munitorum itself? I'm interested in doing a Munitorum-themed IG army, so I'd get the book if it helps with that. Nothing I've heard so far sounds compelling though.

The book is a handbook for members of the Departmento Munitorum on how to handle requisitions, recognise equipment and what it's purpose is, and is a guidebook to the requirements of raising and maintaining an IG regiment. The only mention of military structure is in the small section on how the Cadian 91st was raised - the Departmento's part in this was the paperwork. The Munitorum itself does not have it's own armed forces - it's part of the command structure that sits between the High Lords and Segmentum Command.

Were you think of the Adeptus Ministorum perhaps? The Ministorum isn't allowed to raise it's own army, it has to rely on the Sisters of Battle for it's military roles.

Shadowheart
10-04-2008, 07:33
Well then, does the book actually state that the Munitorum has no armed forces of its own? I've read the relevant page in the IG Codex and know what the Munitorum does, but I don't see how it precludes them from maintaining their own forces, which would be no more than practical.

Spacker
10-04-2008, 09:59
I have not read every single word in the book, but the gist from the heirarchy diagrams and the bits I have read is that no, they don't maintain their own army - they can raise new regiments which I guess they can then requisition to use (there are a few pages describing the raising of the Cadian 91st), but the Munitorum is basically a bunch of pencil pushers who just make sure that equipment gets to where it should be going, so they don't have a need for their own armed forces as they just attached clerks to whichever regiments need equipment.

battle captain corpus
10-04-2008, 10:27
They're quartermasters bascially, and as such would not be a frontline unit...unless it was by accident thats for sure. Im pretty certain they would not have a standing force as such if at all, making more use of local guard regiments that have been cycled off of the frontline for R&R.
And its worth buying IMHO...not as zealous as the IIUP maybe, but then what is?! Hahaha! But its a nice little book all the same!

Shadowheart
10-04-2008, 10:47
Again, I know what the Munitorum does, thanks. It sounds like the manual won't tell me anything new, including about armed forces under Munitorum control. Guessing and speculating about it is something I can already do without the book.

Eulenspiegel
10-04-2008, 11:05
I guess youŽll have to wait for Departmento Munitorum - Armed Forces Compendium, being scheduled for release shortly after Kitchen Staff - Assault Units.

:angel:

Marshal Argos
10-04-2008, 12:46
Why wouldn't they have standing force? Even today the military arm their admin and logistics clerks. I can see it now, Lasguns locked up in the troop transport, and thousands of soldiers running around with typewritters, data pads, paperwork.

"Excuse me Mr. Chaos Marine. Have you filled out the proper form to conduct an assault? To be sure if you could just wait in line, (the next 100 years) as I check to see if it's been processed and approved."

In all honestly though, I don't know of anything saying that the Munitorum doesn't have it's own forces, but seriously isn't that what the IG are for?

rodmillard
10-04-2008, 12:53
*Must resist the temptation to model a munitorum squad to count as convict platoon*

although, in all honetsty, that would be so cool - a full squad of clerks and scribes pressed into battlefield service, or defending the munitorum building when it suddenly becomes the front line in a cityfight scenario...

marv335
10-04-2008, 13:19
well you could do an army based on the Adeptus Minitorum, but you'd have no platoons, and everyone would have the stats of conscripts, with no tanks or heavy weapons.
They're not combat troops, they're clerks and paper shufflers.
as to the military wing of the A:Mun, it's called the Imperial Guard

sigur
10-04-2008, 14:13
I guess youŽll have to wait for Departmento Munitorum - Armed Forces Compendium, being scheduled for release shortly after Kitchen Staff - Assault Units.

:angel:

:D Agreed in every respect.

The Munitorum doesn't need their own armed forces. Why would they? There's heaploads of Arbites to guard centres of logistics, office buildings and so on, Arbites or IG (depending on the location) to guard storage sites and transports, navy dudes on the transport ships, IG at the forward storage sites, IG to guard the transport. Not every single little institution in the Imperium need their own armed forces. We all know that the Imperium works ineffectual but this would overdo it a bit.

Lord Cook
10-04-2008, 15:03
I have to agree. Some organisations in the Imperium genuinely do just use the Imperial Guard and Navy to do the legwork for them. The Munitorium is a logistics arm, and have nothing to do with front line combat. And rightly so.

battle captain corpus
10-04-2008, 15:13
Again, I know what the Munitorum does, thanks. It sounds like the manual won't tell me anything new, including about armed forces under Munitorum control. Guessing and speculating about it is something I can already do without the book.

Gosh your welcome I'm sure! :rolleyes:
Dont buy the book then and dont ask for any helpful advice maybe?...just a thought...sigh...you try your hardest to help someone....:(