PDA

View Full Version : CC army which one

10-04-2008, 03:11
ok I got a very shooty guard and a very mobile shooty SM (everyone one is either on bikes or in Razorbacks + a LR crusaider)

I am wanting to start a new army. I want it to focus and excell on CC for something different.

so convince me to join your CC folds.

Tyranids
eldar
Dark eldar
blood Angels
Khorn (paint them all yellow squares corn :D just kidding)

or any other who be the best. convince me

Colonel Kolm
10-04-2008, 03:19
how have you left out glorious green, aka the ORKS? that being said from your list what kind of cc army do you want? a small elite force(ie blood angels or world eaters/khorne) or a horde army(like nids)?

Battle-Brother Wags
10-04-2008, 03:21
Unfortunately its hard to know what to expect as a new Space Wolf codex should be in the not too far future (within a year and a half hopefully?), but if you consider the current wofl codex with the 5ed run rules?

Space Wolves FTW.

A potential 3 PWs or 3 PFs per Grey Hunter pack or 4 in the case of Blood Claws plus whatever ICs and their weaponry you include? And those are just the basic troops. And I don't care what anyone else says, current Space Wolf ICs are absolutely brilliant with more attacks than most other HQ ICs and awesome wargear (runic charms, frost blades, anyone?).

And with the new upcoming run rule, footslogging wolves may not be such a bad idea after all!

Lost_Heretic
10-04-2008, 03:22
Kroot Mercenaries? You can have an eviscerator in every unit. :)

thechosenone
10-04-2008, 03:44
I think orks have the most custumization potential and are the most fun to play out of the above list. I'm sure i may catch flak for saying that but i do play three of the options you listed in addition to orks.

I think Khorn is boring. You max out on berserkers, play defilers with cc weapons and have lots of rhinos. Pretty similar to any blood angels forces minus the defiler of course.

Nids are fun but the hobbying aspect can get boring. Once you have a paint scheme every model needs to look similar with that scheme.

I don't think eldar are hard enough to last long in close combat against a hoard army. Great painting fun and modeling but i prefer using all their units to perfection across the field rather then maxing on harlies, scorpions and banshees. I think wraith guard and lords is a better choice for hard eldar.

I think Dark Eldar's codex is so over ripe its not even funny. Some units are almost unplayable and some rules don't make sense. The painting and hobbying aspect is cool but the basic eldar warrior looks gross. Incubi, Achaerons and wyches are nice, though some wyches look ***** too.

In the end, orks. So much fun, every model can look different and you have so many choices on how to play.

thechosenone
10-04-2008, 03:45
Lost_heretic... Kroot Mercenaries... YES!

Don't know how long that White Dwarf article will remain kosher for them but its so much fun . Punji Traps YES!

That's a super fun way to go and if you really want to freak opponents out throw down a bunch of kroot, that's real different

10-04-2008, 04:04
how have you left out glorious green, aka the ORKS?

thats why I said whatever else. I havent read their new codex so I don't know lots about them.

for eldar I was thinking lots banshees and scorpions in vipers (or whatever their transport is)

nids I would do lots of little guys possibly a few warriors.

CULCHAIN
10-04-2008, 04:41
orks are the best of the bunch if you like conversions, you could also wait and see the new daemons codex.

Penitent
10-04-2008, 04:59
I'd suggest steering away from another Marine army.

You've got IG (mechanized? infantry heavy?), which I'm assuming was infantry-heavy. You've done fast SM.

Why not try Nidzilla? That would be CC, and pretty different from what you currently have.

jhneoh
10-04-2008, 05:06
Orks...versatile and easy to make varied army lists.

UncleCrazy
10-04-2008, 05:06
SW are a counter assualt army not a full out assualt army, much like the GKs.

Nids- lots of models to paint, good shooting very good CC
Orks- lots of models to paint, Numbers Numbers Numbers
BA- Fast and ok at CC
DE- Very fast, very good at CC, but a glass hammer
WE/Khorne- Tough, very good at CC, but low model count, very poor anti-tank

Counter assault armies:

Grey Knights- very good at CC, Good short range shooting, but very low model count. Best used for counter assault after shooting for a few rounds.
SW- Good CC, good short range shooting, normal model count, best used by shooting for the first few rounds then finish in CC

Mad King George
10-04-2008, 05:09
Space Wolves

Corax
10-04-2008, 05:33
If you want pure CC silliness, you should probably go for the 'nids. Personally, I consider most of the armies listed to more combined arms forces. While it is possible to make any of them CC oriented, they will not necessarily perform at their best in that mode. Only the Tyranids can effectively combine sheer weight of numbers with absurd CC killiness. With most of the others, you have to sacrifice one to get the other (Khorne, BA). If nothing else sways you, non-MEQ armies are always less common than MEQs, so you will be more popular for being a bit different.

Luisjoey
10-04-2008, 06:36
Black Templars!

If you like space marines (that is one of the importants things in WH40k) and want melee!these are your guys! Righteous Zeal!

and the new rules for FLEET / Running :D

centy
10-04-2008, 06:47
easy man just look at my sig to see how good ba's are, and i'm newish to 40k to.

wickedvoodoo
10-04-2008, 11:19
I would agree with culchain, give it a month and see if the daemons army is for you.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
10-04-2008, 11:39
A khornate list is very nice, attacks galore

Müller
10-04-2008, 11:41
Black Templars!

If you like space marines (that is one of the importants things in WH40k) and want melee!these are your guys! Righteous Zeal!

and the new rules for FLEET / Running :D

Bring it! my demons will gut you open anyway you try to swing it, and my possessed tear marines and neophytes up for breakfast:evilgrin:

Odd_Motorbike_Guy
10-04-2008, 12:02
Deathwing!!! No, don't laugh. It's a legitimate close combat force.

This isn't a joke. I'm not kidding.

Or Tyranids. But Deathwing are cooler.

Mercer
10-04-2008, 12:18
I've just started a Ork army and I think they have some good things going about them. They're cheap to buy ££ and points wise, have good models, easy to paint and can be customised. Plus they add a slight comedy to a game as well. Also you can loot vehicles from other races, though in the new codex they have fixed stats.

Tyranids are good too. They have better BS than Orks and have some cool bio-morphs which can change their stats a lot. Paint wise they're a-like Orks. Though as mentioned, you have to keep them a-like really and ££ wise some of them are expensive. A box of Gaunts & Hormagaunts are £18, you get 16 models. Ork Boyz are £12 and you get 11 models.

Mercer

Eryx_UK
10-04-2008, 12:28
Tyranids and Khornate CSM are IMO the best CC armies currently, with Orks being a close third.

Malachai
10-04-2008, 12:37
13Th Company SW.
(if they stay legal that is...)

TzeentchForPresident
10-04-2008, 12:59
With 5th edition in mind, Orks.

There is a debate in Rumour forum http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137333 about them. I don´t think they will be overpowered as that debate claim, but at least it doesn´t look like they will suffer either.

10-04-2008, 15:33
thanks for all your info.

Im still debating