PDA

View Full Version : Denethor? Madman with uses?

battle captain corpus
10-04-2008, 11:43
Anyone had any experience of using Denethor as a usefull tool? I've heard of him being used with some guards using shielding to keep him under control, but how usefull is he really?

lorelorn
10-04-2008, 12:43
He's pretty good for his points. Fight 5 and Strength 4 is not something you generally see on 30 point characters.

With Courage 5 he won't fail that many tests, and with 3 Will up his sleeve you can probably save him the first couple of times by using that Will. Once he's out of Will, be reckless.

I'd describe Denethor as a calculated risk for a Gondor force. He won't be to every player's tastes.

Kroot Lord
12-04-2008, 07:43
The advantage of Denethor is that he is actually awesome for 30 points, with good stats overal. Courage 5 and 3 will will also mean he will hardly ever fall to the EVil side, and if he does, boohoo, next turn he'll be yours again.

The disadvantage in my eyes is that he doesn't add to the bow limit, meaning you have to have 2 warriors extra to get an extra bow

rodmillard
12-04-2008, 20:32
The advantage of Denethor is that he is actually awesome for 30 points, with good stats overal. Courage 5 and 3 will will also mean he will hardly ever fall to the EVil side, and if he does, boohoo, next turn he'll be yours again.

QFT

He is also incredibly useful if you are using citadel guard and/or guards of the fountain court. The evil player will not target Denethor in the way they would other heroes because (a) he's not that big a slice of your army and (b) there's a chance he will turn to them when he runs out of will. However, if all your bodyguard units are set to bodyguard denethor, they won't break until he dies. If one of your other characters is Beregond, and he is also bodyguarding denethor, anything within his stand-fast won't break either. For 55 points, you can set up an army that is almost unbreakable...

battle captain corpus
14-04-2008, 09:19
QFT

He is also incredibly useful if you are using citadel guard and/or guards of the fountain court. The evil player will not target Denethor in the way they would other heroes because (a) he's not that big a slice of your army and (b) there's a chance he will turn to them when he runs out of will. However, if all your bodyguard units are set to bodyguard denethor, they won't break until he dies. If one of your other characters is Beregond, and he is also bodyguarding denethor, anything within his stand-fast won't break either. For 55 points, you can set up an army that is almost unbreakable...

This is what I've been contemplating, a "chain reaction" type of hero choice. Just basically use him to keep the army in the game longer.
Well he's on order now with an armoured Boromir so we'll just have to see! Hahahahhaha!

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
23-04-2008, 17:15
Denethor is ace 30 points for a king of men essentially and because he's courage 5 he'll only turn once in a blue moon supplement that with his three will points mean he's mostly sane he's a steal