PDA

View Full Version : emperors children

NovaHawk
10-04-2008, 12:01
im starting up emperors children soon as an army that will be focused on converting and painting, rather than playing

however, i will be playing with it sometimes and as i have chosen the army solely on its looks, i was wondering is it actually any good for gaming?

what style is used most when playing emperors children and what units would normally be included?

incarna
10-04-2008, 14:43
Emperors children is a spectacular army. I would argue that, of the legions, it is the most versatile due to the increased initiative in CC and sonic weaponry which can pack one hell of a punch while maintaining the mobility of the squad on foot.

It really depends on how you choose to build your army. Because the army is so versatile it is difficult to say which would be the best.

My Slanesh army consisted of 6 squads (4 troops, 2 heavy support) of 6 noise marines tricked out with all sonic weaponry, 2 squads of 6 demonettes, a greater demon, and a demo prince. It won me many battles and it’s balance of firepower and close combat made it very tricky for opponents to deal with.

I’ve often wondered, however, how a Slanesh army mounted in Rhino’s and a Land Raider geared for close combat would fair. You always hear how 5 Khorn Berserker terminators will murder anything with 30 attacks on the charge… well those 30 attacks are pretty meaningless when 5 Slanesh Terminators hit you first at initiative 5 with 25 attacks on the charge.

battle captain corpus
10-04-2008, 15:04
Its really upto you like "incarna" has said. You can go all assaulty and have say Lucius leading them, or you can go classic EC and have lots of overlapping fields or fire from sonic wepaons and bolters with Terminators coming in to.
Its upto you! They are a very forgiving Legion to play with, and in my mind one of the greatest to play around with. Best of luck!

qwertywraith
10-04-2008, 16:09
I don't think they are that "forgiving". They are versatile, which is in part their problem. You pay 25 points for a sonic blaster equipped marine. He is good in CC, and he is good at shooting. If you move though to get into CC you lose 1/3 of his shooting strength, but if you stand still to shoot you lose his CC potential.

There are lots of ways to play EC, so be prepared to change your play style depending on how you fare in games. I like playing a hybrid game with some units geared for CC and others for shooting. There just is no quintessential EC army out there.

That said, the Pink marines inspire a lot of fear in your opponents. They are a tricky army to use, but they are good when used right. In my books though, the army with the most style always wins.

sprugly
10-04-2008, 16:21
Though i've never played an EC army i have always thought about it and every time i try to write an army list my head explodes.

What to do what to do, they have a natual advantage in combat but the weapons to stand and shoot, its seems a contradiction, and as you pay points for all this do they come out as expensive troops with redundant abilities? That has always been my doubt when thinking of starting them.

sprugly

Skirnak
10-04-2008, 17:08
In my opinion the doom siren makes CC-oriented EC a very attractive option. Whilst the blastmaster has also improved, I'm not convinced it's worth the price hike.

Democratus
10-04-2008, 17:58
My only gripe about the Doom Siren is that it often kills off too many of the enemy, allowing them to remove casualties and put you outside of charge range.

It's a wicked drive-by weapon, though.

NovaHawk
10-04-2008, 19:39
thanks for all the advice, at least i know now that ill be able to play with em competitively once ive converted and painted them all

which will take a long long time...

tortoise
10-04-2008, 19:42
Noise marines are generally considered the worst of the cult troops- you pay too many points for sonic weapons which aren't exactly spectacular and the +1 I won't be utilised much by units tooled up to shoot. It won't benefit you at all when fighting I3 or lower troops either.

I'd still say they're a decent army though and fun to use. I'm a fan of Slaanesh also, so the more Slaanesh players the merrier.

incarna
10-04-2008, 21:06
What I find truly awesome about Slanesh, however, is that they have huge tactical flexibility on the table.

Yes, if you move, you’re reducing your fire output with your sonic weaponry by 1/3… but, you maintain your 24” range giving you a 30” danger zone. By contrast, if any other marine army wants to move their danger zone is reduced to 18” because they can only rapid fire 12”. The points you pay for sonic weaponry is an investment in ranged firepower flexibility… PLUS, once you’re in position, you’re at full firepower capacity (3 shots) where any other marine-based army is only at half (1 shot).

Additionally, because noise marines retain their bolt pistol and close combat weapon you can add an aspiring champion who is tooled out for CC and be very versatile in that arena as well.

Thee are armies that are more mobile, like elder and dark elder… but no where near as tough. There are armies that are more tough, like necrons and nurgle… but no where near as mobile. There are armies that are more shooty, like Tau and imperial guard, but no where near as good in close combat. There are armies that are more close combat oriented, like Khorn and Orks… but no where near as shooty.

The strength in slanesh is that the army can adapt itself to any situation. If your opponent wants to stand back and shoot… you can hold your own while closing the gap and beat them in CC. If your opponent wants to charge in, you can seriously butter them up with firepower before dealing with them in close combat.

God, I think I may rebuild my Emperors Children Army now that I’m reminiscing about how great that army was on the battlefield.

I do agree that Doom Siren can wipe models out of charge range which does suck.

Lord Inquisitor
10-04-2008, 21:21
Oh, they're competitive. After all, you don't need just noise marines. Slaanesh Termiantors and Raptors are rather fun too.

Plus you don't need to buy those sonic blasters. Noise Marines with bolters in rhinos can pump out the same amount of firepower as the sonic blasters if they can get within 12" and can still take the doom siren.

As others have said, you pay points for flexibility. Noise Marines can outfight assault marines and outshoot terminators. The downside is that you're likely paying upwards of 200 points for a 6-man squad, which as killy as they may be are still just six wounds with 3+ saves and everyone and their dog have their armies kitted out to kill Marines.

MaliGn
10-04-2008, 21:30
I miss my Emperor's Children army, it was the only army that I could regularly win with, but then the 4th ed Chaos book came along and my sonic bikes were redundant. Sonic bikes were awesome - you could fire your sonic blasters at maximum efficiency then charge, at I5 with about 18 attacks on the charge. More if they were chosen bikers. Add in daemonettes and it was a whole pile of choppy death. shame....