PDA

View Full Version : (Another) 2k High Elf Army - Tourney 22nd Oct.

Lord Anathir
12-10-2005, 18:46
Well....its rather unconventional, but i think it will do well if i play smartly and use my strengths properly.

Lvl 4, Book of Hoeth
Lvl 1, Scroll, Jewel
BSB, Battle Banner, Steed, Heavy Armor, Barding
Commander, Lion Guard, Heavy Armor, Shield
19 Spears, SB, Champ, Lion Standard (with lion guard commander)
5 Silverhelms, champ (+ BSB)
5 DP w champ, SB, standard of balance, enchanted shield
2 chariots
10 Archers
2 RBT
2 Eagles

Yes, its quite a small army.....i hope i can use this to my advantage and actually use my M5 to try to attack on a flank. I will deploy all my fast staff on my flank with the spears being the centre most unit. I want to get a general opinion on this list before i playtest it. Ive got a week so i'll have to see if im going to keep this or go back to my ancient 2x18 spears, 2x5 helms, 5 dp, 2xch, 10 archers, book of hoeth 8pd 7dd army.

ElfGuy
13-10-2005, 07:04
I prefer loading up on bound spells to the Book of Hoeth. You cast a greater number of spells overwhelming your opponent rather than casting only a few spells with irresistable force, or simply a high casting roll. You take greater advantage of your magic item allowence by including the bound spells, the Silver Wand and the Jewel of the Dusk. You can also use multiple casters instead of funneling the same 4 spells through your book every time. If you prefer the Book of Hoeth, add the Banner of Sorcery as a cheap sorce of Power Dice.

Why not cut the Spearelves to 15 plus their brave Commander to form a 4x4 block. Ranks and attacks are not as important for a stubborn block since you do not need to generate combat resolution, just hold for reinforcemnets. The Lion Standard ensures you won't be autobroken, so you need not worry about a low unit strength. A less expensive Spearelf unit will be less of a heartbreak if it gets cracked.

The Battle Banner seems out of place to me. Its also very expensive, and you have a great deal of points in characters. A cheap mounted Commander with only some basic gear might be a better addition. You'll also have a character that can inflict some wounds, which can be helpful.

Give the Lion Guard Commander a great weapon just incase you get a good charge off. If you believe you can break an enemy on the charge, a strong offence will be a better defence than your shield.

Cut the unit champion from the Silver Helms and just use them to assist the Spearelves. I would lose the Standard of Balance for the Banner of Sorcery, or a War Banner. The Standard of Balance will not come into play every game and it won't always be of great use. Best use a magic standard that's effects are helpful in any situation. Your Drakemaster won't miss the Enchanted Shield, so cut that too.

Musicians are an envestment on main battle units such as your Spearelves and Dragon Princes. You would not want to lose a unit that costly because you tied a combat, or failed to rally by a point. I would add them to those two units to fill out your command options, as insurance.

A few Shadow Warriors would round this list out nicely. More shooting, another unit to hunt mages and warmachines, more marchblocking, to take the "good" scouting location away from your enemy, to hold a table quarter, so on and so forth.

Those are my thoughts, good luck with your list.

Tobias
13-10-2005, 07:08
Well....its rather unconventional, but i think it will do well if i play smartly and use my strengths properly.

Lvl 4, Book of Hoeth
Lvl 1, Scroll, Jewel
Commander, Lion Guard, Heavy Armor, Shield
19 Spears, SB, Champ, Lion Standard (with lion guard commander)
5 Silverhelms, champ (+ BSB)
5 DP w champ, SB, standard of balance, enchanted shield
2 chariots
10 Archers
2 RBT
2 Eagles

Yes, its quite a small army.....i hope i can use this to my advantage and actually use my M5 to try to attack on a flank. I will deploy all my fast staff on my flank with the spears being the centre most unit. I want to get a general opinion on this list before i playtest it. Ive got a week so i'll have to see if im going to keep this or go back to my ancient 2x18 spears, 2x5 helms, 5 dp, 2xch, 10 archers, book of hoeth 8pd 7dd army.

A bit small
first thing why jewel on lvl 1 mage, he isn't gonna cast so he hasn't got any use fot the jewel, so loose the jewel, and stand of balance ain't gonna help much.
you're commander ain't gonna do much, give him armour of the gods and great weapon :)

You still have a few points left, maybe a banner of sorcery?

Eldacar
13-10-2005, 14:00
you're commander ain't gonna do much, give him armour of the gods and great weapon
If I'm reading it right, that commander is a tactical choice. Taking him means that he has a nice block of 20 Spearmen who just so happen to be Stubborn. They won't be going anywhere, unless he rolls badly.

Lord Anathir
13-10-2005, 15:33
V1.2

Lvl 4, Book of Hoeth
Lvl 2, Scroll, Ring of Fury
Commander, Lion Guard, Heavy Armor, Shield, Great Weapon
19 Spears, SB, Champ, Lion Standard, musicien (with lion guard commander)
5 Silverhelms, champ, musicien(+ BSB)
5 DP w champ, musicien
2 chariots
10 Archers
2 RBT
2 Eagles

thanx for ur help.

Ihope i dont come across a slann.

ElfGuy
13-10-2005, 19:07
If your going to use the Battle Banner, removing the standard from the Dragon Princes was a good idea. That way you can join him to either the Silver Helms or Dragon Princes without having two banners in a single unit. This list seems much improved over the other, I still dislike the Book of Hoeth though. You could have the jewel, the wand, both bound spells, and three Dispel Scrolls on your mages if you cut the book and reconfigured your equipment. Try and test both magic phases before the tournament if you find some time.

Good luck at the tourney!

Hogdogz
14-10-2005, 07:26
I just have a Q's where is this tourney at?

Tobias
14-10-2005, 12:27
If I'm reading it right, that commander is a tactical choice. Taking him means that he has a nice block of 20 Spearmen who just so happen to be Stubborn. They won't be going anywhere, unless he rolls badly.

Yes, but if you would know your HE, you would know a T3 Elf on foot will die fast ...

In my way you have more chance of winning the CR, and that's more important then not running away ;)

Eldacar
14-10-2005, 15:01
Yes, but if you would know your HE, you would know a T3 Elf on foot will die fast ...

In my way you have more chance of winning the CR, and that's more important then not running away
Oh, I know. Believe me, I know. *winces at the thought*

He can be somewhat protected. Avoiding champions, not answering challenges, and so on. Look Out Sir helps, but it is by no means a certainty. Holding an opponent in place long enough for the enemy to be flanked to high heaven would be their purpose, I guess.

Anathir: Only one scroll? Why not two?

Lord Anathir
14-10-2005, 15:08
Believe me, i know how to defend my lion guard commander. Ive got a champ for challenges. I plan to put an eagle in front of the commander before they are charged, so that the charging unit has to clip the side of the unit (the commander will be behind the eagle so he cant be attacked). If he charges the eagle he cant redirect when it flees because spears were a legal charge in the beginning of the turn.
I took the book of hoeth out and added the banner of sorcery to my dragon princes.

V1.3
Lvl 4 Mage, Silver wand, Scroll, Ring of Fury
Lvl 2 Mage, Ring of Corin, Jewel of dusk
Commander, BSB, Battle Banner, steed, barding
commander, heavy armor, lion guard, shield
5 silver helms
19 spears wsb, champ, lion standard
10 archers
2 chariots
5 dragon princes, wsb, musicien, banner of sorcery
2 eagles
2 rbt

10-12 PD + 2 Bound spells......downright nasty.
The only reason why i used the book of hoeth so much was because i was encountering a lot of 4-6 scroll armies.

The tournament is @ the oakville battle bunker in ontario, canada.

Lord Anathir
14-10-2005, 15:09
ifi drop the musicien of the dp and a spear elf ive got enough to get another scroll....i might consider doing that.

Tobias
14-10-2005, 16:52
But if the commander can't attack, it's a waste of points, then you have 70 points that can't attack, it's waste points, give the unit a warbanner, you have more chance of winning cc, and if you lose one less modifier, if the command can't attack and you have less attacks your units won't win cc and that's a waste of points ...

Hogdogz
14-10-2005, 18:23
ok Ya i was wondering because we our having a tournement at our store the same day and your army list looked allot like someone ive played so just seeing if you were him but i guess not since our tourney is at dropzone British columbia. And your army looks pretty nice and make sure to post the results so we can see how it does.

Lord Anathir
17-10-2005, 18:23
that unit WANTS to loose combat....the commander is there to make sure they dont move anywhere. high elf characters arent about defeating the other army on their own. Lion standard is there not to autobreak from fear. Very important. spearelves arent there to win combat. Spears are there to hold the centre while my flank attack takes care of their side before sweeping over to help.

Lord Anathir
19-10-2005, 18:22
Final Version
Lvl 4 Mage, Silver wand, Scroll, Ring of Fury, Scroll
Lvl 2 Mage, Ring of Corin, Jewel of dusk
Commander, BSB, Battle Banner, steed, barding
commander, heavy armor, lion guard, shield
5 silver helms wChamp
18 spears wsb, champ, lion standard
10 archers
2 chariots
5 dragon princes, wsb, banner of sorcery
2 eagles
2 rbt

ironduke
21-10-2005, 11:42
Where abouts is this tournament?

Lord Anathir
21-10-2005, 18:32
Oakville Battle Bunker in Canada...the Lustria invitational tourney for the summer campaign