PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Inquisitor Retinue

Malachai
10-04-2008, 13:49
Hi,

I need some help with this.
I'm playing traitor guard (using the regular IG-codex) and want to use a
(Deamonhunter)Inquisitor with retinue in a landraider transport.
Unfortunately i don't have the codex(only withchunters) and need some advice on the retuine.
A: are there the same options as in the witchhunters codex?
B:i have 3 fantasy chaos-shields i'm going to use on 3 Knights, i guess i can use all 3 of them?
C: which other options would you use?
Since my Inquisitor wears terminator armour(chaos-termie-general) i can have a retinue of 8.

Good advice would be welcome.(also on the weapons/items of the terminator-inquisitor)

Cheers

sigur
10-04-2008, 14:15
A: are there the same options as in the witchhunters codex?
B:i have 3 fantasy chaos-shields i'm going to use on 3 Knights, i guess i can use all 3 of them?
C: which other options would you use?

A: No.
B: No knights in the retinues of DH inquisitors, but combat servitors IIRC.
C: search the tactics forums, probably the word "mystic" (in combination with inquisitor) will give you the most hits.

The kind of armour your Inq. wears doesn't have anything to do with how big his retinue is but I guess you knew that.

Maybe it would be better if you made up your own stuff and then, if you like, post it in the tactics section (even better: make an army list and post it in the appropriate section), then people will comment. Units should be equipped/chosen in regards of what the rest of your army looks like.

cheers!:)

Malachai
10-04-2008, 14:26
A: No.
B: No knights in the retinues of DH inquisitors, but combat servitors IIRC.
C: search the tactics forums, probably the word "mystic" (in combination with inquisitor) will give you the most hits.

The kind of armour your Inq. wears doesn't have anything to do with how big his retinue is but I guess you knew that.

Maybe it would be better if you made up your own stuff and then, if you like, post it in the tactics section (even better: make an army list and post it in the appropriate section), then people will comment. Units should be equipped/chosen in regards of what the rest of your army looks like.

cheers!:)

Thanx!

Bummer i can't use knights!
Well, the amount of retinue in combination with the terminator-armoured-inquisitor had something to do with the Landraider-transport.

I think i'm gonna dropp the terminatorarmour and use the Witchhunters codex.
I want those knights and i have the codex, so that's the better option i guess.
I want to equip them purely for combat. Does anyone have some ideas?
last question: can i still use the Landraider as a transportoption, even if i use them as Allies?
A couple of friends of mine had some different opinions on that. I would say yes since it is a dedicated transport option.

Spacker
10-04-2008, 14:37
last question: can i still use the Landraider as a transportoption, even if i use them as Allies?
A couple of friends of mine had some different opinions on that. I would say yes since it is a dedicated transport option.

Yes - a dedicated transport, even a Land Raider, uses the same FOC slot as the unit it is taken with so an Inq + Retinue + Land Raider is still just 1 HQ or Elite slot (depending on if it's a Lord), and is not taking any HS choices from the allied list.

Malachai
10-04-2008, 15:19
Thanx Spacker!

Bregalad
10-04-2008, 16:31
I don't get it.
You play traitors, perhaps even Chaos tainted, led by an Inquisitor, that MUST be of Daemonhunters? Counting as what? And the WH Inquisitor retinue rules are not good enough for that?
I can't remember any differences between DH and WH retinue, but perhaps the newer version in WH HAS some minimal changes, but an Inquisitor retinue is as individual as the inquisitor (see the 40k RPG on that!), and both rules will be thrown together soon into one Codex. So fluffwise, you certainly can take the Crusaders, although it might not be the best choice.

Malachai
10-04-2008, 16:45
I don't get it.
You play traitors, perhaps even Chaos tainted, led by an Inquisitor, that MUST be of Daemonhunters? Counting as what? And the WH Inquisitor retinue rules are not good enough for that?
I can't remember any differences between DH and WH retinue, but perhaps the newer version in WH HAS some minimal changes, but an Inquisitor retinue is as individual as the inquisitor (see the 40k RPG on that!), and both rules will be thrown together soon into one Codex. So fluffwise, you certainly can take the Crusaders, although it might not be the best choice.

They are followers of khorne, (at least visually), played with the IG-codex.
I wanted to use the deamonhunters-Inquisitor-lord(allied)) since he can use Terminatorarmour. A witchhunter-inquisitor cannot.
I have this new terminator-chaos-general on sprue, which was supposed to be te Roque-Inquisitor.Unfortunately that is not going to happen.
I'm wondering what's not to get?..
If crusaders are not the best option, what would you recommend?
It would give me the oportunity to use the termie-general and play deamonhunters. I guess i could take some kind of deamons?
Don't forget, i have no codex, so i'm just making a guess.

shin'keiro
10-04-2008, 17:28
Hi,

Since my Inquisitor wears terminator armour(chaos-termie-general) i can have a retinue of 8.

Armour has nothing to do with the size of the retinue...

boogle
10-04-2008, 17:31
As he said above with regards to the Transport Capacity of a Land Raider, if his Lord is in Terminator Armour, he can then only take 8, in order to utilise the Land Raider, as it still specifies 'if squad is 10 or less models, can take the following.....'

Malachai
10-04-2008, 19:07
Armour has nothing to do with the size of the retinue...

Boogle is right...

Kurisu313
10-04-2008, 19:24
Great minds think alike I guess, I just bought inquisitor coteaz today to use him as an arch-heretic type character for my apoc LatD :)

Malachai
10-04-2008, 19:54
Great minds think alike I guess, I just bought inquisitor coteaz today to use him as an arch-heretic type character for my apoc LatD :)

That's cool, i like that model.
This saturday i will have an Apocalypse game at my place with a friend of mine.
He will bring a huge Eldar army and i will play 2.500 points of traitor guard with deamonhunter allies(to hell with the knights), using deamonhosts, an inquisitorlord with a large retinue in a landraider, 1750 points of fallen angels(in fact they are normal Dark Angels...but for this purpose...) and finally i use 1750 points of 13th company. They look chaos, but they are not. That's why i will role a dice determing if they will help me or the space-elves...
I guess i could have a big problem if they are going to support the elves...it would make his army 3.500 points bigger then mine...and those wolves love a bite of Dark Angels...Fallen or loyal. That makes a nice battle doing combat by hitting on a 3+.
Maybe i'll make a battlereport of that one.

Obermotz
10-04-2008, 20:26
Hey Malachai,

theres a downloadable codex for DH and WH on the german GW page, maybe that helps...

Malachai
10-04-2008, 20:33
Hey Malachai,

theres a downloadable codex for DH and WH on the german GW page, maybe that helps...

Danke Obermotz!

Kurisu313
10-04-2008, 20:56
That's cool, i like that model.
This saturday i will have an Apocalypse game at my place with a friend of mine.
He will bring a huge Eldar army and i will play 2.500 points of traitor guard with deamonhunter allies(to hell with the knights), using deamonhosts, an inquisitorlord with a large retinue in a landraider, 1750 points of fallen angels(in fact they are normal Dark Angels...but for this purpose...) and finally i use 1750 points of 13th company. They look chaos, but they are not. That's why i will role a dice determing if they will help me or the space-elves...
I guess i could have a big problem if they are going to support the elves...it would make his army 3.500 points bigger then mine...and those wolves love a bite of Dark Angels...Fallen or loyal. That makes a nice battle doing combat by hitting on a 3+.
Maybe i'll make a battlereport of that one.

Ooh, please do :)
Yeah, Coteaz is one of my favourite models. Just gave him a CSM bolt pistol and power sword. :evilgrin: Can I ask what you're doing with your inquisitor? What model are you using and how are you converting him?

rodmillard
10-04-2008, 21:21
I have a similar plan using an Alpha Legion Chaos Sorceror in Termie armour with retinue in Land Raider to lead my traitor guard. rules wise it will count as an Inquisitor Lord, allowing me to take daemonhosts as an elite choice. That, IMO, is the main reason to use DH and not WH rules in a traitor army...

Malachai
10-04-2008, 21:31
Yeah, the deamonhosts are reason number 2 why i want to use Deamonhunters and not Witchhunters.
I just visited the german GW-site and discovered that an inquisitorlord in terminator-armour can use a chimeratransport.
I just got my hands on a Landraider, but i guess i'll use it for my deathwing. A chimera will look much better in my traitor-army.

Malachai
10-04-2008, 21:36
Ooh, please do :)
Yeah, Coteaz is one of my favourite models. Just gave him a CSM bolt pistol and power sword. :evilgrin: Can I ask what you're doing with your inquisitor? What model are you using and how are you converting him?

Do you know the plastic Chaos general in terminator armour?
I think that is an awesome model which i have on sprue.
I think i'll give him a pair of lightning claws or the poweraxe(which looks more Khornate i guess).
He will not wear a helmet because a bald head will give him more character.

rodmillard
10-04-2008, 21:53
I was planning on using the same model for my alpha-legion character, but as I'm doing him as a sorceror I planned on giving him force staff and combi-melta, with the scourging psychic power. Does anyone know if FW are planning to do alpha legion conversion kits, or will I have to model the shoulder pad myself?

As mentioned in another thread I'm going to use beastmen as conscript platoons, and possibly minotaur as ogryns. The army is intended to be the antithesis of my witch-hunters force, so mutation is the way forward ;)

I'm not sure what to use for the retinue, however. I need at least one mystic, warrior and familiar to get as close as I can to sorceror stats, but I'm not sure about the mix and I certainly don't know what to use for the models...