PDA

View Full Version : Tips on starting an IG army

Orwin
10-04-2008, 14:45
Hey people,

I`m planning to start an IG army and i wanted to share some thoughts about my project and if it`s viable or not. Experienced guard players thoughts are appreciated.

Actually i always wanted to have a Valhalla force, but, due to a limited budget and to the complete lack of avaliability of said models where i live, i decided to quit the project. First, i`d like to know what is cheaper? an all infantry force with few tanks or a mechanized force with few soldiers?

Second, i`d like to know if you guard players would find interesting to fight a force composed of models of many guard ranges, mainly of steel legion models, which are the ones that i have more access to here. I intend to field them all using the same cammo scheme and base`s colour and theme. They would work as a PDF composed of different guard regiments, gathered on a campaign.

On a twist, i could keep the original regiment`s colours on the models, but keeping the same model base`s colour so they may look like an army. According to my fluff, i`d like to convert some models so they will represent the remains of the planetary PDF, but i don`t want them to look like cadians with a different paint job. I was thinking on fielding soldiers like the resistance ones in the terminator series. Any hint on how i could achieve that without relying on models from other companies? Not that i`m a GW fanboy, but i wish that this army could be tournament legal.

Angelus Mortis
10-04-2008, 15:35
Try posting on this site, you will probably find better answers here.

http://commissar.proboards22.com/index.cgi

Xenobane
10-04-2008, 15:40
Well, if you're buying plastic you get a better return points-wise for your money buying infantry rather than tanks. If you're going to be buying steel legion/ converting then it's probably the other way round...

DonKarst0n
10-04-2008, 15:48
If you are considering the money factor: Buy plastics. So you would have to go for Cadians or Catachans.

Then mixing up different regiments... Putting Steel Legion and Valhalans together might work but other than that I'd advice you not to do it.
They won't look very uniform.

burning crome
10-04-2008, 16:03
there is talk about plastic gray coats mins( eg Valhalla) coming out with the new Codex gurad at the end of the year. So depending on how long it takes you get a force up and running you might want to hang on a bit before getting your inf. ps have a look on ebay and see what you can find

chinnfrequent
10-04-2008, 16:23
Actually i always wanted to have a Valhalla force, but, due to a limited budget and to the complete lack of avaliability of said models where i live, i decided to quit the project. First, i`d like to know what is cheaper? an all infantry force with few tanks or a mechanized force with few soldiers?

I Infantry would be cheaper, as one box of guardsmen gives about 170 points whereas mech requires lots of chimeras which cost $10 more and are only 90ish points.

Second, i`d like to know if you guard players would find interesting to fight a force composed of models of many guard ranges, mainly of steel legion models, which are the ones that i have more access to here. I intend to field them all using the same cammo scheme and base`s colour and theme. They would work as a PDF composed of different guard regiments, gathered on a campaign.

I wouldn't like that myself, but that's because I like armies to look uniform.

Firaxin
10-04-2008, 18:03
Buy 20 tanks or so and then come back. :angel:

VikingThor
10-04-2008, 19:07
I like the idea of having mixed uniforms. Most 40k theatres of war are composed of many different regiments of soldiers and each game is supposed to represent a smaller snapshot of a larger battle. I paint my space marine and IG units in different chapter/regiment colors to give the impression that battlefields are overlapping and to make it look cool. I've had a lot of positive feedback on this from opponents. Just keep in mind that although they look or are painted different, if they are in one force organization, they have to use one ruleset. (i.e. you can't use special rules from different armies/codecies in a single army)

Versch
10-04-2008, 19:21
IMO the Imperial Guards strength shifted from tanks to infantry support. I have felt that way since 3rd edition.

Tanks can be one-shotted with a high ballistic skill model.

Support units (autocannons, lascannons, heavy bolters...) can be deployed during the Heavy Support and HQ phases. And just because these support units can field 3 of each weapon, it does NOT mean you MUST.

It is also viable to NOT field heavy weapons in one of your Infantry Platoons as well, so as not to feel guilty about moving them. The jist of this is to give your opponent too many units to deal with effectively.

As far as cost? I think they made both Infantry and Tanks equally expensive. Players seems to forget how much it costs for a blister of Heavy/Special weapons to round out your infantry squad.

Versch

fwacho
10-04-2008, 19:50
Plastic cadians really are a good way to go... but the catachans are more convertable.

If you want a starter force that doens't commit then :

10 Kaserkin model (split into 2 teams) as grenadiers. you can move them into elites later

Then get some tanks. at least 3 . Suggest a basalisk and two RUsses

For fast attack I reccomend a minimum three sentinals and a hellhound

you can get your krieg guys as your HQ.

Orwin
10-04-2008, 20:01
My idea is to be able to collect many different models without needing to commit myself to 5 or 6 different guard armies. I think that a mix of catachan and cadian sprues could help recreating guys like the soldiers on the Terminator series. You guys agree?

Lord Cook
10-04-2008, 22:15
You can mix plastics together within the actual models. So if you buy a box of 20 cadians and a box of 20 catachans and then combine the parts, using catachan arms with cadian torsos, etc. you can create 40 guys who look like they're from the same force, while still being unique.

As for actually using models from different ranges alongside one another, it works better in some cases than in others. For example, valhallans fit quite nicely with vostroyans, so long as you use them for different roles. For example, having valhallans as basic infantry and vostroyans as storm troopers or veterans. But in general it tends to look a little haphazard.

In terms of cost, infantry may seem cheaper but remember that they only come with weapons like grenade launchers and flamers. If you want the more popular weapons, you'll need to buy them separately as metal blister packs. A tank force will work out as slightly more expensive, but I would recommend you don't let that influence your choice of army. No option will be cheap, and collecting an army you don't want just because it's cheap just means you won't get much for it when you get bored and decide to sell it.

murat27
11-04-2008, 12:08
There are two other ways you could go to use mixed models and make it fluffy.

1. For example mix Valhalan and Cadian troops. The regiment was originally raised in Valhalla but the war zone it is currently in receives equipment from a planet that manufactures Cadian style gear, so as bits and pieces need replacing they are replaced with the new gear making the unit look mixed (you could even mix troops in individual squads or models with this method). A historical example would be the Union army in the American Civil War. At the start of the war some of the state regiments had all sorts of weird and wonderful uniforms but as the war went on and these were repalced a little bit at a time from army stores with a standardised uniform.

2. Several regiments have been badly mauled and combined into a provisional regiment. With this you could have a Cadian infantry company, Steel Legion mechanised platoon, Valhalan armoured company and so on. A historical example for this is the Penninsula war where Wellington merged badly mauled regiments to make a useful size one. Or another way to view it could be platoons/companies being taken from regiments that are hard pressed to try and make a reserve regiment out of the detatchments, I believe the Germans did this quite a bit during the second world war.

Either way they all seem quite within the character of the IG for me.