PDA

View Full Version : eldar prism substitue

WH40KAj
10-04-2008, 17:15
Right so I bought a cloudstrike box (i think thats what its called) today and want to convert them into fire prisms...the problem being that the actual prism pieces are now unavailable to order in GW and the staff were less than helpful with conversion ideas.
Ideally i'd put them were the falcons guns would be, but I need ideas on what would be a good prism-like shape substitue.

Any ideas out there?

WH40KAj

faeryty
10-04-2008, 17:55
I intend to convert my fire prism with one of these and some greenstuff at somepoint soon: http://www.adventurousmagick.com/images/AmethystPoint.JPG

Perfect Organism
10-04-2008, 17:55
Sculpt your own by carving a block of foam into the rough shape, covering it with some kind of hard putty (like extra fine milliput or brown stuff) and sanding it smooth. Then cast a bunch of them in clear resin.

Trickle
10-04-2008, 18:12
You see them on ebay semi regularly. Although perhaps the going rate will be higher now etc.

Hmm. Pen and drill bit type object. Diamond shape drill bits like that only exist in movies, though. Hmm, a quick dive round ebay and I rekon chandelier (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/68-Vintage-Crystal-Chandelier-Drop-Prisms-Victorian-NR_W0QQitemZ150232964859QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item15 0232964859#ebayphotohosting)knock offs and fake jewelry (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crystal-PRISM-38mm-FLUTED-PENCIL-Feng-Shui-NEW_W0QQitemZ280215084579QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 80215084579#ebayphotohosting) are your way forward.

howardmoon
10-04-2008, 19:11
I have to say i have never seen a good Fire Prism convertion from a falcon, Even the metal bits GW produce for the kit are really rubbish,I do alot of converting and a prism cannon is not something i would like to try let alone try it three times.
My advice would be take the box back and ask to buy three fire prism models, it will cost you more , but it will save your sanity!

Emperor's Grace
10-04-2008, 19:31
Necron Monolith Crystal?

Some folks remove/change theirs to change colors.

WH40KAj
10-04-2008, 20:43
Hmm all valid and good ideas. I agree that the current prism shape sucks- I dislike the whole pointy one anyways. And howardmoon, I like a challenge- it's just getting the specific shape and size correct.
I like the fake jewellery or make a foam one, i'm not half bad at cutting foam..i may try that.
Anymore ideas are welcome, thank you everyone!
WH40KAj

Bregalad
10-04-2008, 21:32
I was also playing with the idea of converting Falcons to Fire Prisms with bits (while they were available). But then I calculated the price:
Falcon 35 Euro (maybe 30 in set), Fire Prism 40 Euro, metal bits to convert Falcon to Fire Prism 25 Euro!!
So not worth it. Better buy Fire Prisms. Or wait until FW releases the planned conversion kit in the Cobra Mk 2 style without turret (will take a while of course until release). I am also contemplating doing something with clear resin or christmas crystals.

Dr.Clock
10-04-2008, 22:07
It seems likely that a support weapon bit with the barrel (d-cannon or weaver) swapped for a sizable 'prism' should do the trick. I don't know if those are available from bits order though...

The real issue is the other side of the turret, though... maybe just put a shuri-cannon on?

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

WH40KAj
11-04-2008, 15:50
Right one of the three made, once i've a website to host the pictures I'll put them up here.
Oh is it worth having three prisms or two and a falcon?
WH40KAj

Isambard
11-04-2008, 17:23
Or you could do what I did and order some nice glass crystals, search online for companies that sell bits for chandeliers.

Trickle
11-04-2008, 21:00
Two and a falcon is what most people see to say as oppose to just 1 and two Falcons. Ive not seen any net lists with 3 Prisms before.

Spacker
11-04-2008, 22:03
Right one of the three made, once i've a website to host the pictures I'll put them up here.

Just create a photobucket account and upload them. Or you can register on my site at http://www.ageofstrife.com , all members get a free gallery album they can upload pics too.