PDA

View Full Version : Hordes of Chaos 1000 pt

mark.
10-04-2008, 17:28
Hello people from Warseer, I wanted to make an army list with hordes of chaos again, I have created 2 lists for use but I am doubting between the two of them. Here it comes:

List A:

Exalted champion, GW, helm of many eyes = 129

12 Warriors, GW, Mark of Khorne, Musician + Standard = 255
5 Knights, Mark of Khorne, Standard = 230
16 Marauders, Light Armor + Shield, Musician + Standard = 127
5 Warhounds = 30

Beast Herd: 6 Gor/7 Ungor, Musician = 75
Beast Herd: 5 Gor/6 Ungor, Musician = 64
6 Furies = 90

Total = 1000

List B:

12 Warriors, GW, Mark of Khorne, Musician + Standard = 255
Chariot = 120
5 Warhounds = 30

Beast Herd: 6 Gor/13 Ungor, Musician, Standard = 109
3 Minotaurs, GW = 138
6 Furies = 90

Total = 998

In both lists the general will join the Marauders, a shame I only have got 16 of them so I can't increase the unit size.
I like warriors and I think in this setup they can do quite some damage, as do the knights.

I guess list B could use another chariot instead of the minotaurs, this allows me to split the beast herds and gives me another fury, only a shame I do not own a second one.

For the rest I have 12 more warriors, 5 more knights and an exalted daemon to play with, I hope you could give me some advice in which list I should be taking, thanks in the advance!

Belerophon709
11-04-2008, 01:00
I would go for the second one, but with a change or two:

I would drop the warriors and include the knights from the first list. You marauders, with support from the herd and the chariot should be able to hold their own without the warriors (point sink btw), especially with the general sitting there.
That should leave you with 27 points. Drop an ungor and you should have 31 for another round of hounds (if possible that is - o&g wolves make ok hounds and shouldn't be too hard to come by).
Also, remember that your minos get the mark of chaos undivided for free when the general is undivided himself.

Hope it helps.

mark.
11-04-2008, 16:10
Thanks for the advice, that would make a good list indeed and I forgot to mention but I do have 5 more hounds to make that list.

I like it, but my only issue would be that most of my army's points would be put into fast movers, while a chariot and infantry slow things down, I am not sure if that would complement very well and if I would go into that direction I might want to add 5 more knights as well?

And about the undivided minotaurs, that is good to hear, a while back I had a game when they were terrored away turning the game into a loss for me, so that is really good to hear :)

Belerophon709
11-04-2008, 17:31
Since this is a small-sized game, I think the units in the list would complement eachother quite well. Ever hear of the oblique line? Go look it up if you haven't. A mix like this with gradually increasing movement-rates would be good at that.
The chariot and infantry complement eachother very well, with the marauders as the core of the army and the chariot protecting the flank. Remember that chariots can't march, so should move along at about the same speed as the marauders. Lure them into charging the marauders and then slam the chariot into the flank, while the knights (with the aid of the hounds) push down the flank. That leaves the herd and the minos to play around with where they're needed the most.

Regarding terror and minos, how did that happen? :D Minos cause fear themselves and as such don't take terror tests. Ever.

Let me know what you're thinking.

mark.
12-04-2008, 13:16
I'll try to look that oblique line up, thanks for the advice.

Oh and the minotaurs did fear that nasty wight lord with some terror item making them flee and my line was devastated :(

Sterling
12-04-2008, 14:13
yeah, mixing movement rates can definitely work. Against armies that have to come to you (like other chaos, ogres, or tree spirit) you can get into the best position for combo flanks. Against army lines that wait for you, you still have the speed to get there without eating too much destruction.

mark.
13-04-2008, 11:13
Well that was actually my main concern, I have played a similar 1000 pt list a while ago with a chariot knights and stuff between in. Well I played against a shooty and magicky skaven army and first my screens got obliterated, then the rest, because I had so different movement values my knights and their screen received focus fire, then after that the slower part.

But I will try it and hope to get some victory finally :)

Oh another question: should I drop the knights standard for another fury + ungor? The knights standard is pretty expensive and as we all know, standards have a double edge.

Yehoshua
13-04-2008, 14:40
I would probably keep the standard, as you lose Frenzy if you lose a combat, and that standard could easily make the difference. I would also give them a musician, so they won't lose ties and are more likely to rally if they flee (helping to preserve over 100 points).

I would consider dropping the standard from the herd, actually. They probably don't want to get in combat alone with anything tougher than another skirmisher/fast cavalry unit, and if they are in a multiple combat alongside your marauders or knights, an additional standard wouldn't help anyway.

Belerophon709
14-04-2008, 07:54
I'll try to look that oblique line up, thanks for the advice.

Oh and the minotaurs did fear that nasty wight lord with some terror item making them flee and my line was devastated :(

See, that's what I don't get. If the terror-causing wight charged your minos, they would make a fear check, but unless the wight himself is US10, you wouldn't run away, since he wouldn't outnumber your minos, they would simply hit on 6s in the ensuing cc-phase. If the minos tried to charge the wight and failed their fear-test, they would simply not charge, again, no running away.

Did the wight by any chance charge with a unit which you also counted for the US? If you did, you made a mistake, since only the US of actual fear-causing (in this case terror-causing) models count for outnumbering.

Cheers.

mark.
15-04-2008, 16:09
I see what you mean, I will try to get in multicombat and it would be better to have the standards in the expensive units, namely the general's unit and the knights. I have taken that change + belerophon's changes into account and that would make this my final list:

5 Knights, MoK, Standard + Musician = 240
Chariot = 120
5 Warhounds = 30
5 Warhounds = 30

Beast Herd: 6 Gor/12 Ungor, Musician = 95
3 Minotaurs, GW = 138
6 Furies = 90

Total=999

Oh and about the wight, indeed you are right, I wouldn't have had to flee. Man, that would make all the difference, as the blood knights overran the minotaur's warhound screen into the minotaurs, while my knights of khorne were in position for flank charge! Ah well, I will never forget this for the next time.

But I would like to thank you two for the help with my list, I like this final version alot and I'm ready to use it soon, I will tell how it gone.

Belerophon709
15-04-2008, 19:47
You're most welcome! Always a pleasure to help someone who actually takes constructive criticism to heart, rather than just shrugging it off. :)
I'll bet my *** that Yeho feels the same way ;)

Yes, please do tell us how it goes. Anxious to hear if the advice pays off. :)

Good luck!