PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my 2nd edition tyranids?

washout
10-04-2008, 21:17
I have 3 or 4k of old tyranids, but especially a ton of genestealers painted in a motly collection of colors, and 6 or 7 of the old "screamer-killer" carnifexes. Should I sell the whole thing on ebay or should I strip it all down and repaint it and run a monsterous creature close combat stealer shock army?

I'm really lost with this army, I haven't touched it since second edition and especially the old hive tyrants can't be kitted out with anything decent since they have lash whips and bone swords, with no real alternate arms, I suppose I could tear all the arms off and put on scything talons or add extra guns though they might be a tad oversized.

I'm more leaning twords selling it though. As an all monsters list may be somewhat booring, and I've been playing my friends current version tyranid list and I'm not really super thrilled with it.

If I do decide to sell it on ebay I'm not sure if I should strip everything first since they all have wonkey colors or if I should just post it all up as is.

oni
10-04-2008, 21:54
Burn it!

The new 'nid mini's are awesome to say the least.

exsulis
10-04-2008, 21:58
Ebay if you don't want the them. if you really feel partial repaint them its what I've been doing with my 2nd edition marines, and that lone termie.

Johnnyfrej
10-04-2008, 21:58
Firstly, can you post some pics of your army? If they are painted well I would recommend either just play them with the new 'nid rules. If their colors clash too much you may want to repaint them.

I don't think selling on ebay is a good idea. However if you really want to get rid of them and get some money it might work out.

RampagingRavener
10-04-2008, 22:04
Strip it down and repaint it; the 2nd edition Genestealers and Screamer Killers are both perfectly nicel models (IMO) and work neatly in the current game edition without any problems. All you need to do is throw in a new Tyrant or something as your compulsery HQ.

Other than Screamer Killers, Stealers, and presumably 2nd ed Tyrants, what else do you have? If anything?

washout
10-04-2008, 22:09
Firstly, can you post some pics of your army? If they are painted well I would recommend either just play them with the new 'nid rules. If their colors clash too much you may want to repaint them.

I don't think selling on ebay is a good idea. However if you really want to get rid of them and get some money it might work out.
They are not painted all that well since it was my first army and I mostly tried to paint them according to the white dwarf color schemes. And later I bought a friends army that was composed of two other armies that had already been mostly painted.

Should I strip it before selling on ebay? Or is that too difficult and will it even result in making significantly more from the auctions?

Dr.Clock
10-04-2008, 22:13
My buddy did some nice conversions using old carnies and tyrants... Buying just one new carni will give you loads of nice bitz to swap in there. Some tyranid warriors would also give you some nice bits to play around with on the old tyrants (these look awesome with 'screamer legs incidentally).

Old 'stealers are no problem either.

6 or 7 carnies is probably overkill. I'd probably sell a few of them, but keep the rest for fun modelling (yay!) and use the money you get against some new purchases.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

washout
10-04-2008, 22:17
Strip it down and repaint it; the 2nd edition Genestealers and Screamer Killers are both perfectly nicel models (IMO) and work neatly in the current game edition without any problems. All you need to do is throw in a new Tyrant or something as your compulsery HQ.

Other than Screamer Killers, Stealers, and presumably 2nd ed Tyrants, what else do you have? If anything?

I have everything really, couple of walking zoaenthropes, 5 or 6 metal warriors, 10 or 15 plastic warriors with lots of boneswords, 25 of the old tippy metal hormagaunts, biovores etc...

Adra
10-04-2008, 22:18
Bake them in a pie.

RampagingRavener
10-04-2008, 22:29
I have everything really, couple of walking zoaenthropes, 5 or 6 metal warriors, 10 or 15 plastic warriors with lots of boneswords, 25 of the old tippy metal hormagaunts, biovores etc...

Huh. Strip it all down and repaint it, then. It sounds like you actually have a fairly decent army there. Warriors with Boneswords? Just count 'em as Scything Talons and you're golden.

Puffin Magician
10-04-2008, 22:37
I'm in the same boat as you since I've got a bit of 2nd Ed. 'nids as well [Curse those tippy Hormagaunts!].

No bites trying to sell them so far, but who can blame anybody? These older models are simply blown away by the latest Tyranid range. I'd highly suggest stripping the paint before eBaying them, since those old paint schemes were horrid.

Replacing weapons with newer kit is IMO a waste of time considering the effort and cost involved, and in the end the scales don't match and they look silly.

If you're not bothered with their colours or visual appeal, you could always buy a heap of Termagants, forget some Warriors and compile a decent armylist with what you've got. A game's a game, right?

Bloodknight
11-04-2008, 00:53
Keep them. They are worth almost nothing at the moment, so I would wait until they become truly vintage.

Phyros
11-04-2008, 01:20
I was in the same boat. I played them heavily throughout 2nd. Ed. and they had, as you said, a motley arrangement of colors (I wasn't the best painter back then).

So a year or so ago, I decided to give them an upgrade to a better scheme. As for an army list, I didn't go all out converting to get new weapons, I just used the original models as they were and built the army list around what I had. It made for a more challenging game.

And with the old models, if you paint them up to a great standard and play with them, people will admire them for being painted well and the fact that they are older models.

Mine are at the url below.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Phyros26/Kraken/

gLOBS
11-04-2008, 06:58
Older Tyrants make great current tyrant guard with a few conversions(Makes it looks like a small herd of em.)
Older screamer killers- nothing wrong with them. Although I have converted mine with extra 4th ed carnifex backplates and red terror heads.
Warriors- use as is or swap for current warrior arms.

Overall goto ebay and buy a large lot of tyranid bits and swap out some arms, its really that simple.

lomo
11-04-2008, 09:20
Strip them and re-paint them, 2nd edition Tyranids are ol' skool cool.

Eulenspiegel
11-04-2008, 09:32
Replacing weapons with newer kit is IMO a waste of time considering the effort and cost involved, and in the end the scales don't match and they look silly.
This I disagree with :)
I have two of the old metal Screamer-killer tuned up with new plastic Nid bitz, they work fine, this is me with medium conversion and green stuffing skills speaking.

Any Tyranid player will have LOADS of extra arms lying around. See what you can get cheap or even for free from your friends or guys at your local club. You will have a bag full of plastic in no time.
If your models are unpainted anyway, just use the stuff to make them a little shinier and provide them with actually useful weapon combinations (my two old Carnies now bear at least one gun each).

Sir_Turalyon
11-04-2008, 09:39
Strip down and repaint them, and you'll end up with original Tyranid army. I would not go as far as converting them with new weapons - WYSIWYG is not good enough reason to damage a mint classic model, having beautiful model is reason good enough to proxy it's armament - but of course, these are your miniatures.

Darnok
11-04-2008, 10:43

Quoted for truth.

I highly recommend to repaint your collection in a scheme you like. Do it step by step, do it carefully, and you will end with a great army. :)

Angelwing
11-04-2008, 13:42
As for an army list, I didn't go all out converting to get new weapons, I just used the original models as they were and built the army list around what I had. It made for a more challenging game.

And with the old models, if you paint them up to a great standard and play with them, people will admire them for being painted well and the fact that they are older models.

Describes my old tyranids exactly, except I have a few 1st ed models lurking in my swarm. I have a few of the old models that have new bits added on, eg old tyrant with new devourors, but I use most of it as is.
Bone swords on warriors are now scything talons, the standard claws are now rending claws.

VikingThor
11-04-2008, 14:49
Use whatever is still rules viable in your old paint scheme as reserves in an Apocolypse game, representing (although unlikely) A second hive fleet coming down on the planet (to either reinforce the first, or as a happy coincidence.)

boogle
11-04-2008, 15:05
Keep the stuff you like and think you will use, Ebay the rest

Grimbad
11-04-2008, 15:12
I love the screamer-killers. I got two and a half for free and would have kept them but christmas was coming and my brother plays nids. Were I you I'd repaint them to the best of my ability. That way you can use them as much as you like then sell them for more than if you didn't paint them.

I think the old tyranids would look really great alongside all the other retro-40k stuff that shows up in Apocalypse. Plus, there's a special formation of carnifexes that lets them deep strike, and screamer-killers seem to me to be pretty well suited to that job.

WH40KAj
11-04-2008, 15:42
I've got barely all but this edition Nids and I love them to bits and find they are just as viable as new stuff. I say just keep them and it'll be fine they are just as viable as new models :)

Eric.W
11-04-2008, 17:17
sell them for

Justicar_Freezer
11-04-2008, 22:05
I'd say keep'em IMO the older Tyrants and Carni's were cooler then the latest edition ones as where the Zoanthropes, and if you strip the paint and re-paint them in a color scheme you like now you'll have a cool force that stands out from most of the other Nid armies out there.