PDA

View Full Version : Worst ebay auctions

northoceanbeach
11-04-2008, 00:07
There seems to be no end to some of the "deals" you can find on ebay these. days. While this one isn't the worst ever, base on what is for offer, the fact that the headline says local pickup only in little rock, and the description says shipping is 50 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the US makes up for it.
auction no. 300215310767
There is also a guy on there now wilth a shittily painted steel legion army that thinks it might go over 1000.

See if you can find anything better.

Havesome
11-04-2008, 00:28
It just shows what greed combined with stupidity will do for someone.

GraemePaul
11-04-2008, 01:20
There are some epic auctions selling the models for 4.99 opening bid with pictures of the blisters showing a price of 4.00

Not going to bid on that in a million years as I believe epic metals are overpriced anyhow.

daemonkin
11-04-2008, 10:39
I believe the epic blisters would have the original pricing on it (back when it was still Space Marine). prices have subsequently risen since then.

Most epic metal models from the old days are overpriced now but who else are you going to get squadrons of Leman Russes?

D.

GraemePaul
11-04-2008, 11:36
These were epic 40,000 blisters

alexh
11-04-2008, 11:51
While it is nicely painted, I don't think this item will sell http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warhammer-40k-Well-Painted-Sisters-of-Battle-Canoness_W0QQitemZ320236938495QQihZ011QQcategoryZ1 09240QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I found another one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-painted-Big-Mek-with-Shokk-Attack-Gun_W0QQitemZ230240704312QQihZ013QQcategoryZ44122Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Norminator
11-04-2008, 18:25
While this one isn't the worst ever, base on what is for offer, the fact that the headline says local pickup only in little rock, and the description says shipping is 50 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the US makes up for it.
auction no. 300215310767

It says;

'The auction says local pickup but ignore it. I couldn't get the list t o work right. Item will ship Fed-ex or UPS ground and cost 50 dollars inside the US this way it can be insured. Outside the US please inquire.'

Archaon
11-04-2008, 18:30
Worst one were people selling empty army deal boxes and wording the auction in a way that was a bit misleading.

Now i always argue that the idiot who shelled out big bucks for such auctions and didn't read the description fully (usually way below in smaller letters that it was an empty box) deserved it but it is still a despicable practice.

Another one is a well known guy (or girl) who sells vehicles but fails to directly mention they are Epic models (and conveniently doesn't post pictures) so people bid on a Leman Russ and get the 6mm variant.

max the dog
13-04-2008, 20:29
While it is nicely painted, I don't think this item will sell http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warhammer-40k-Well-Painted-Sisters-of-Battle-Canoness_W0QQitemZ320236938495QQihZ011QQcategoryZ1 09240QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I found another one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-painted-Big-Mek-with-Shokk-Attack-Gun_W0QQitemZ230240704312QQihZ013QQcategoryZ44122Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well the ork is pretty good for table top use but that canoness is just a piece of junk. As with most stuff on ebay it's best if the buyer be as skeptical as possible.

Havesome
13-04-2008, 21:20
I never realized until I started looking on Ebay just how many "professional" painters there are out there.

Killgore
13-04-2008, 21:42
theres this person that keeps selling armorcast titans every few weeks

they have to be fake as i doubt anyone had that many titans to sell

easy way of making 300 eh?

Patriarch
14-04-2008, 00:01
The "best" scam is some...individual...selling really cheap 40k and FW vehicles. Very low starting price.

Buried away in the description in the middle of the usual BS is "this model is epic scale".

Someone thinks they won a bargain unpainted/unassembled Land Raider for 25 and they get an inch-long tank 1 week later.

wilsmire
14-04-2008, 00:39
i just wish that all of the "pro-painters" would quit listing themselfs as pro painted when the paint jod is crap

ankara halla
14-04-2008, 00:59

Or he is the guy who made the scuplts in the first place and after Armorcast "broke up" kept them and keeps using them (copyright issues are muddled here, despite opinions stating otherwise, which is why he's been able to do it since the times of Armorcast...) to make more casts from his moulds.

And since there is a guy like that in ebay selling Armorcast titans it's very likely it's the same person we are talking about.

catbarf
14-04-2008, 01:02
There seems to be no end to some of the "deals" you can find on ebay these. days. While this one isn't the worst ever, base on what is for offer, the fact that the headline says local pickup only in little rock, and the description says shipping is 50 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the US makes up for it.
auction no. 300215310767
There is also a guy on there now wilth a shittily painted steel legion army that thinks it might go over 1000.

See if you can find anything better.

Any Steel Legion army is worth its weight in gold. Metal models are easy to strip, paint doesn't matter. But OOP models like the SL are very valuable.

Templar Ben
14-04-2008, 01:18
Are Steel Legion that much better then picking up panzergrenadiers?

ehlijen
14-04-2008, 02:03
Historical models will look very wierd when put next to 40k heroic scale models. So yes, SL models are that much better unless you don't care about visual coherency in your army.

Templar Ben
14-04-2008, 02:22
If the entire army is historicals then it wouldn't be an issue. Except that the other army would look grossly disproportional.

fwacho
14-04-2008, 04:58
The pro paint claims really are annoying.. particularly when you are like me and really do paint people's armies for extra money. no one believes me when I state it. What always gets me are the games stores that buy the whole armies when sell off the bits when a guy could have done that to begin with.

timdp
03-05-2008, 21:58
Point me to some of the auctions you are talking about and I can verify whether the pieces are legit or not.

Tim DuPertuis
Ex-owner of Armorcast (1995 -2007)

Or he is the guy who made the scuplts in the first place and after Armorcast "broke up" kept them and keeps using them (copyright issues are muddled here, despite opinions stating otherwise, which is why he's been able to do it since the times of Armorcast...) to make more casts from his moulds.

And since there is a guy like that in ebay selling Armorcast titans it's very likely it's the same person we are talking about.

Templar Ben
03-05-2008, 22:18
Welcome Tim.

ctsteel
04-05-2008, 01:40
Any Steel Legion army is worth its weight in gold. Metal models are easy to strip, paint doesn't matter. But OOP models like the SL are very valuable.

they are all (well mostly) still available at GW online store

UK site (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301313&orignav=10)

they're in the big catalog too as I recall, so they're still around - when the bitz order closed down and they started to disappear I bought a bunch of them just in case, but looks like there's no great worry just yet.

Hicks
04-05-2008, 17:19
The SL is not dead, that I'm gratefull for, but it's really limitative to be forced to buy squads to bulk up your troups, and they don't even stock plasma guns anymore.

I don't use special weapons in my squads and the missile launcher isn't what I want in every one of them either.

I think it's not attractive at all to buy a Steel Legion army from GW without plasma and troops blisters, if they want to keep the range alive, a least they could do it well.

Templar Ben
04-05-2008, 17:33
Not to mention it is not possible to order on the US Site (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?WCI=Menu&WCE=Search&Query=steel+and+legion&System=&Image1.x=0&Image1.y=0&Image1=Search) if you want troops. That would be a lot of shipping to pay for since they are metal.

Volt
08-05-2008, 02:20
I've been an avid eBay user for almost seven years, so I have seen a lot of horrible auctions where people put up stuff expecting others to folk to them, but in reality its just a joke, since what they list and what they are asking for the starting bid (or By It Now) is horribly overpriced.

A few basic examples are some converted zombie figures, which the conversions weren't anything Warhammer looking and the paint jobs were far from even tabletop standards and they were asking $20US a pop for each one (they were listed 1 model per auction), as the By it Now price.

Also, my very first auction that I won, was some plastic terminators, which to my understanding were supposed to be professionally painted (which at the time I was like 13, so I was really looking forward to some excellent painted figures). When I got them, I was greatly disapointed, as the figures were simply sprayed red, and the weapons and shoulder pads painted straight black, with the bases Goblin Green with the basic grass green flock on them. And to add insult to injury some were broken when I got them! But I guess to make him not looks so bad, be threw in like 6 space marines, painted the same way, for free. Lucky for him I didn't bother to send them back or complain, since I didn't know what to do, as it was my first auction and such. Nowadays, I only buy painted figures from a reputable painter who I have seen list multiple figures over time and has a good feedback rating.

Ifurita
08-05-2008, 06:17
Here's an article I wrote with a lady named Warpaint ... a long time ago, about selling miniatures on E-Bay. These are the principles I follow. Wish other people would too.

http://www.kan.org/michael/mkp/auctions.php

Patriarch
09-05-2008, 18:50
...I have seen a lot of horrible auctions where people put up stuff expecting others to folk to them, but in reality its just a joke, since what they list and what they are asking for the starting bid (or By It Now) is horribly overpriced.

They are only overpriced if no-one bids on them. Like everything else, something is "worth" what people are prepared to pay for them. The seller will soon learn the hard way, because it costs money to list on eBay whether it sells or not.

Also, my very first auction that I won, was some plastic terminators, which to my understanding were supposed to be professionally painted (which at the time I was like 13, so I was really looking forward to some excellent painted figures)....

I'd summarise that as: don't bid on any mini for the paintjob without plenty of photographic evidence. One man's "pro painted" is another man's "Nitromors fodder" and all that. Easy mistake to make as a young'un though.

Here's an article I wrote with a lady named Warpaint ... a long time ago, about selling miniatures on E-Bay. These are the principles I follow. Wish other people would too.

http://www.kan.org/michael/mkp/auctions.php

Looks like good advice. My only issue with any of the content of your article is with some of the heading suggestions: having "A+++++" in an auction heading doesn't do anything for it IMO. It doesn't make the item for sale any clearer, the quality of any paint job is entirely subjective without a photo (which then renders the seller's opinion mute) and I doubt anyone uses it as a search term.

Ifurita
09-05-2008, 19:14
That's a good point. I'm slowly updating the articles on the site -- most of these were written a while ago and I'll incorporate that piece of feedback.

In fact, another article I'm updating is how to find cheap miniatures and I'll take some of the comments from this discussion and incorporate those too.

The Red Scourge
22-05-2008, 06:23
i just wish that all of the "pro-painters" would quit listing themselfs as pro painted when the paint jod is crap

Hey, they're pro. They take your money, thats what being a pro means ;)

Seriously. If you want decent prepainted minis. Go for auctions with quality pictures (decent lighting, not blurry webcams etc.), so you can se what you pay for.

The best prepainted I saw on ebay, had a description saying "wellpainted" :p