PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Eldar?

Tommygun
11-04-2008, 01:18
I came across J.R.R. Tolkien web site that had a mp3 sound file on how to pronounce Eldar. It pronounced the "l" as "n" and the "r" was rolled, so it sounded like "Endarr". I have always pronounced it as it looks, am I incorrect or is the mp3 wrong or thirdly, do 40k players say it differently?

The_Jackal
11-04-2008, 01:32
Warhammer 40k is about as linearly far from Tolkien as you can get and still have elves. Just pronounce them normally, no trilled r's or nasal consonants. Unless you're Spanish, in which case, enjoy yourself!

dr.oetk3r
11-04-2008, 01:38
El Dahr

detherhrhjtjtrj6ji76

HsojVvad
11-04-2008, 03:15
El Dahr

I agree but some times I am lazy and say EL der.

starlight
11-04-2008, 03:35
Erm, just like it looks...?:confused:

:p

Mad King George
11-04-2008, 03:42
El Dar / El Der

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
11-04-2008, 03:48
"El-der" sounds too much like one of the bigwigs at a Mormon church, so I stick with "el-dar."

Johnnyfrej
11-04-2008, 04:12
I believe the proper pronounciation is pan-zē.;)

MrPickles
11-04-2008, 04:36
I believe the proper pronounciation is pan-zē.

Somebody has been losing against mech eldar :p

Mad King George
11-04-2008, 04:45

Massacred more like it, a team of vibro cannons took out all his tanks in turn 1

Luisjoey
11-04-2008, 05:03
Wow thatīs strange question

In my languaje ELDAR sounds like written; "A-LL-D`HAAR"

El as El-ephant
Da as Hagen DAAS o DA-te
r as AR

Try to pronounce

Baneboss
11-04-2008, 05:58
Listen to DoW pronounciation.

El-dars

Tommygun
11-04-2008, 06:50
I should have put this in my opening post. Here is the link to the MP3:
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Eldar

Johnnyfrej
11-04-2008, 11:23
Massacred more like it, a team of vibro cannons took out all his tanks in turn 1
1.) Eldar aren't that tough to kill with Imperial Guard.
2.) I don't use tanks against Eldar :p
3.) Don't go over the line over a joke.

Mech Eldar are overrated. I just go Light Infantry and all Guardsmen. With 200+ models its not hard to bring down 3 measly Falcons.

leonmallett
11-04-2008, 11:36
I should have put this in my opening post. Here is the link to the MP3:
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Eldar

Which is Tolkien. As a previous poster noted, Tolkien didn't write of the grim darkness of the 41st millenium. Try not to worry about dragging Tolkien pronunciation into WH40K, since it isn't relevent. Say it as it is written.

Latro_
11-04-2008, 12:26

haha

I say it EL dar. Maybe its a southern England thing?

How do you all pronouce Abbaddon?
See really it should be pronouced as aBADon but everyone I know including myself have always said is ABBAdon

ChaosBeast
11-04-2008, 13:09
See really it should be pronouced as aBADon but everyone I know including myself have always said is ABBAdon

i live near london and most people i know say ABBAdon, but i believe it should be aBADon as it sounds like a bad 'un :rolleyes:

Panzerkanzler
11-04-2008, 13:23
haha

Once he hits my line with brave fire warriors I usually call him "Sweet baby jesus".

Forbiddenknowledge
11-04-2008, 13:31
Eldar, never, ever, ever Eldars.

When people say Eldars, a copy of Rogue Trader self-immolates, and a kitten dies.

Remoah
11-04-2008, 13:46
Always Eldar...
And i agree, Eldar are beaten easier than a Commissar beats a Conscript...

Griffin
11-04-2008, 13:56
EL Dhar

but then again I'm from South Africa and some people think we pronounce english funny :)

AdmiralDick
11-04-2008, 14:16
Warhammer 40k is about as linearly far from Tolkien as you can get and still have elves.

hardly. the Eldar are near identicle to the formula found in JRR Tolkien. if you want different think of the miniature house spirits from the story of the Elves and the Shoemaker or those that help Father Christmas, or the incaporeal Scandinavian Elves who are like shadows to us most of the time, and live in solid rocks and trees.

the aloof and super-human Elves are pretty much entirely defined by Tolkien, but have been so pervasive (think of Mr Spock) that it is often difficult to imagine an elf being depicted any other way.

on topic though, i would pronounce them exactly as written el'DAHR, although i will often drop the final R for simplicities sake.

pookie
11-04-2008, 14:27
EL Dhar

but then again I'm from South Africa and some people think we pronounce english funny :)

well that would be because you speak South African wouldnt it?....

although thast how i pronounce and hear it being pronounced. ( i really cant spell can i!)

boogle
11-04-2008, 14:29
i would pronounce it El-Darr

J-L
11-04-2008, 14:34
1.) Eldar aren't that tough to kill with Imperial Guard.
2.) I don't use tanks against Eldar :p
3.) Don't go over the line over a joke.

Mech Eldar are overrated. I just go Light Infantry and all Guardsmen. With 200+ models its not hard to bring down 3 measly Falcons.

Not everyone knows who they will play beforehand, and not everyone likes to adjust their list against their opponent. Taking this into consideration, mech eldar can be quite tough.

Edit: El-darr, btw :p

Lorieth
11-04-2008, 15:01
El rhymes with "hell"
Dar rhymes with "star".

As for Abaddon...

A-bad-on : Destruction, Angel of the Abyss
Abba-don : Godfather of 70s' pop

lord_blackfang
11-04-2008, 15:05
It's Elfdar. Elfdar.

Warp Zero
11-04-2008, 15:39
Its pronounced either sha-day or rayf. ;)

Earthbeard
11-04-2008, 15:41
el-dar......always have.

Latro_
11-04-2008, 15:56
When I was younger, like really younger we used to pronounce Tzeentch 'Tech' as in TEK.

Disc Of Tek.

haha, sorry just came back to me as i was reading the rest of the thread.

sliganian
11-04-2008, 16:00
In Quebec, I believe it is pronnounced "Thibodeau"

Panzerkanzler
11-04-2008, 17:04
In Quebec, I believe it is pronnounced "Thibodeau"

Who is this Thibodeau fellow and why did you insult him/her by calling him/her Eldar? :p

Damocles8
11-04-2008, 17:16
What about Astartes? (see sig...)

Burnthem
11-04-2008, 21:26

Once he hits my line with brave fire warriors I usually call him "Sweet baby jesus".

Eldar, never, ever, ever Eldars.

When people say Eldars, a copy of Rogue Trader self-immolates, and a kitten dies.

Hahahahaha :D

Three of the funniest things i've read all week, all in the same thread :)

Angelus Mortis
11-04-2008, 22:50

*High fives Johnny* :D I hear theres an alternate pronounciation "siss-eez". :evilgrin: ;)

mr cool
12-04-2008, 00:58
Eh-ll-d-Are

corncob77
12-04-2008, 03:06
its just L-dar

danno
12-04-2008, 12:02
El-dar
just as it looks I think

MrBigMr
12-04-2008, 12:28
Eldar.
"EL" as in "ELdorado" and DAR as in "DARkness withing my sould that never lets go of me."

Abaddon.
Like it is suppose to be.

elvinltl
12-04-2008, 13:08
Just say "L" and "Dar" ...

Ok... Eldar is easy to pronounce. Now how the hell do you pronounce "Yngir" ?

As i am an Asian i pronounce it as "Yin" "Grr"...

And just for curiosity, i wonder how will you guys pronounce "Ng"? It is an asian surname without any vowel. :D I know some people say the letters N G.

Evil_Toast
12-04-2008, 13:52
Ok... Eldar is easy to pronounce. Now how the hell do you pronounce "Yngir" ?

You don't ? But if I'm forced to it's comes out something like " Inn-grr" .

And it's always been " El-Dhar" for my pointy ears . Or " t3h sUxX0rs !!11!!!1!!" for almost everyone else at my LGC .

Cornelius
12-04-2008, 14:36
i would pronounce them exactly as written el'DAHR

Is this how you spell it, then?;)

Drachenfell
12-04-2008, 15:04
I always pronounce Tzeentch like Te-zen-titch! But Eldar I pronounce as Elder. Because ahm lazee.

HsojVvad
12-04-2008, 21:22
I always pronounce Tzeentch like Te-zen-titch! But Eldar I pronounce as Elder. Because ahm lazee.

Great, I am not the only lazy person lol

I thought the T in Tzeentch was silent.

LOTRCROWN
12-04-2008, 21:31
well i say EL DAR

Tzeentch i would pronounce it like ZEN ICK but then my friends call medumb because i say spruNe in stead of sprue . .

faeryty
12-04-2008, 22:03
I never thought of eldar was particularly difficult to say. Although the various responses raise the question of stress. Personally I pronouce it as a spondee - [equal] stress on both syllables. Anyone else?

(On, and a-BAD-on, Tzeentch pretty much as written, which is surprisingly easy to do (although always used to be zeen-tek), Inn-geer (another spondee) and Ing without the I)

Lostanddamned
12-04-2008, 23:20
Yngir - uhngear.

Eldar - El-Dhar

Abbadon - a-BA-don

Astartes - Uh-star-tees

Catachan - cat-A-chan

Gazak Blacktoof
12-04-2008, 23:39
Listen to DoW pronounciation.

El-dars

Right except there's no "s".

The plural of Eldar is still Eldar.

There are lots of humans over there.

There are lots of eldar over there.

faeryty
13-04-2008, 00:36
Right except there's no "s".

The plural of Eldar is still Eldar.

There are lots of humans over there.

There are lots of eldar over there.

Agreed.

Codex: Space Marines
Codex: Tyranids
Codex: Necrons
Codex: Eldar.

Point made?

(And apparently I missed as-TAR-tays and cat-uh-can)

howardmoon
13-04-2008, 01:40
God i hate it when people pronounce it El-der !!!! Come on people you would have to be as mad as a sack of squirrels to pronounce it wrong.
Genestealer on the other hand should always be pronounced in the Ork tongue as "genesneakers"

Hellebore
13-04-2008, 01:52
Agreed.

Codex: Space Marines
Codex: Tyranids
Codex: Necrons
Codex: Eldar.

Point made?

(And apparently I missed as-TAR-tays and cat-uh-can)

Except if you happen to be Spanish or French (or other non english speaking origin):

http://www.imaginaire.com/indexv2.jsp?url=/lib/panier/affproduitindexv2.jsp&in1_code=97405&cat1=JM

I pronounce it:

El-Dar
tzeeee-nch
Abba-don (rather than A-bad-un)

What about:

Shaz-ooee (shas-ui) or shaz-wee?

Anyone pronounce Chaos Chay-os? I knew someone that did...

Hellebore

faeryty
13-04-2008, 01:56
Except if you happen to be Spanish or French (or other non english speaking origin):

http://www.imaginaire.com/indexv2.jsp?url=/lib/panier/affproduitindexv2.jsp&in1_code=97405&cat1=JM

<snip>

Touchee. But i stand by my assertion that at least in english the plural is eldar.

Hellebore
13-04-2008, 01:59
Touchee. But i stand by my assertion that at least in english the plural is eldar.

Absolutely, but it's often hard to determine if someone you are a berrating on the interwebz is a native english speaker or not.

Hellebore

Arbiter7
13-04-2008, 05:49
I think ABBA-don sounds better than a-BAD-don.

I mean most names starting with an "a" get the stress on the first "a".

A-laric
A-drian
A-nthony
A-ndrew
A-aron
A-bbot
A-dam
A-dan
A-lan
A-rnold

Except maybe for Greek ones

Alex-A-nder
Andr-O-nicus
Aga-MEM-non
Ari-STO-tle

and spanish and italian ones

al-FON-so
al-FRED-o
al-VAR-o
a-MER-igo
au-REL-io

Also, tzeench --> ZEEN-tsch (fat "ch" as in cha-cha-cha)

LOTRCROWN
13-04-2008, 09:16
Anyone pronounce Chaos Chay-os? I knew someone that did...

Hellebore

lol yesh my 12 year old neice says that

Batwings
13-04-2008, 09:52
I've heard mispronunciations of:

Battle for McRagge:

Battle for McRagg-e

the 'e' is silent, my American friends.

And Adeptus Arbites:

Adeptus Arr - bites

It's Ar-beet-is

I am the Monkey King
13-04-2008, 18:14
@Arbiter7: unfortunately your argument defeats itself. Abaddon is a greek word and hence a-BAD-don, even though that sounds silly and i personally pronounce it ABBA-don, cause he's a fictional character and hence pronounces his name however the guy-who-came-up-with-him says so.

AdmiralDick
13-04-2008, 18:55
Now how the hell do you pronounce "Yngir" ?

i believe that the name is derived from Northern European origins and is mean to emmulate the sound used in the term 'Yggdrasil' (the World Tree from Norse mythology. in that the Y is like and I only heavier, so that it nearly becomes an inflection on the G rather than a sound in its own right.

so i would pronouce is inGEER, or possibly 'nGEER.

Is this how you spell it, then?;)

isn't that how everyone spells it?

that scentence didn't say quite what i meant it to. the word on the end is not necessarily part of the former scentence. its just the phonetics of the way i'd say the word, based on the was it is spelt.

I always pronounce Tzeentch like Te-zen-titch!

are you Scottish? otherwise i'm not sure where you got all those extra vowel sounds from... and t.

TZ like tzar (again the nearly silent, and more of a percussive sound on the Z than a letter in itself)

EEN like seen

TCH like itch (once again the T is largely a percussive beat to start the CH noise)

there is, however, evidence that you should pronounce the Tz even more softly so that it could be interchangable with a soft CH sound, making the word more like change but with really soft pronunciation.

@Arbiter7: unfortunately your argument defeats itself. Abaddon is a greek word and hence a-BAD-don, even though that sounds silly and i personally pronounce it ABBA-don, cause he's a fictional character and hence pronounces his name however the guy-who-came-up-with-him says so.

er, Abaddon is an anglicisation of the Hebrew word. although in Hebrew the b is soft and so sounds more like a V than a standard English B does. the Greek is Apollyon. whilst i can't confest to being a scholar of Hebrew (or even Greek) my Exhaustive Concordance tells me that the name means 'destruction' and is split into three sounds ab-ad-don (but it doesn't tell me where the emphasis is placed). it is a little strange when it rolls off the tongue the first time, but it makes more sense than abba-don, because he's no one's 'daddy'.

whilst i agreed that as he is a fictional character it might well be that he pronounces his name in an unusual fashion, but part of picking the name that is taken from ancient literature is that there is generally regarded to be a standard way of pronoucing it meaning one player to the next can use the same word without ever having met before.

if you have met the inventor of Abaddon (i don't really know who that would be) and they told you that his Cthonian accent meant that he said it differently than please feel free to correct me.

philbrad2
13-05-2008, 07:08
I think this one is done now.

PhilB
:chrome:
+ WarSeer Mod Team +

FAQ
http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php
POSTING GUIDLINES
http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_posting_guidelines