PDA

View Full Version : character movement into fighting rank

Milgram
11-04-2008, 12:00
a character standing in the front of an unit that is attacked in the rear may move into a fighting position during his own movement phase. however he may still not attack that turn.

but:

1) is he attackable while doing so?

2) is he able to use magic items / special rules (i.e. 'affecting all enemies in btb')

3) may the enemy issue a challenge?

4) may he issue challenges by himself?

theunwantedbeing
11-04-2008, 12:03
That doesnt make sense.
When he's in base contact with the enemy he is attackable and may attack as normal.

Yehoshua
11-04-2008, 12:19
Uhm, unless there's something I've missed in the relevant sections, unwanted has it right. The character is not "stepping forward from rear ranks to replace [someone]" during the combat phase; on the contrary, he is moving into fighting position (even from the front rank, if he was not Base to Base with an enemy) in the movement phase.

marv335
11-04-2008, 12:20
on a related note,
A unit is engaged in the front and the rear. a character is in the front rank.
can he move into the back rank to fight against the rearmost unit?

Atrahasis
11-04-2008, 12:26
No. Characters can only move from non-fighting positions to fighting positions.

marv335
11-04-2008, 12:35
don't mean to doubt your word, but do you have a page reference?
I like to charge into the front of a unit with spearmen while I dragon them in the back :D
Some opponents have taken to moving killy characters from the front to the back to target my lord on dragon.

Chaos Undecided
11-04-2008, 12:40
Page 74 in the section concerning moving characters within engaged units confirms he cannot move once he is actually fighting so if already in a fighting rank in the front of the unit could not move to fight the other unit at the rear

marv335
11-04-2008, 13:31
Thank you.

Milgram
11-04-2008, 14:26
humm... we had this issue last sunday and allthough I was your opinion, my friend opened his book and showed me the relevant page. at least in german it states there that the character may not attack in the turn that he moved within the unit.

Atrahasis
11-04-2008, 14:32
I'm fairly sure Festus would have brought that up in the past if it was the case.

xragg
11-04-2008, 14:33
I dont see anything in the character movement section that would prevent him from attacking after you moved him.

crimslain
11-04-2008, 17:11
This happened to me last night, I didnt agree with his reason, but I got ruled out. He had a unit of 5 knights, his warrior priest was on the far left(perspective-looking at the front of the unit), I charged him with my black coach and zombies. My BC was on the opposite side of the unit from his warrior priest. My zombies came into base contact with his warrior priest. During his movement phase, he said he could move his warrior priest 3 models over, so he could be in contact of both the BC and the zombies, so he could cast soulfire on both units. I said I didnt think he could since he was in base to base with the zombies already. He pointed to a page that said you can move as long as it is the same melee combat, but I thought it was to vague. Was he right? I am new to the game, so i really didnt know, but I really felt that I was getting screwed. Also, when I charged from the side with my knights, his Warrior priest wasnt on the side anymore, so I couldnt issue any challenges, which screwed me again.

theunwantedbeing
11-04-2008, 17:17
Page 74, bottom paragraph on the left hand side.
Your opponent was cheating :P(or didnt read the whole page)

Atrahasis
11-04-2008, 17:26
Also, you could issue the challenge - as long as the warrior priest was in combat he is eligible to accept a challenge; he doesn't have to be in base contact with the unit/character issuing the challenge.

crimslain
11-04-2008, 17:30
can you give me a page that says it, if its other that page 74. i would really appreciate it alot.