11-04-2008, 15:28
im making a new 40k army and i want to know what people think is the best

Deus Mechanicus
11-04-2008, 15:38
Space Marines.

pookie
11-04-2008, 15:40
mine is the best :rolleyes:

what are you looking for? what type of force? you wanting xenos? traitor? Imperium?

the question will only be answered by people saying there army is the best ( ie SM/CSM/Tau etc )

Earthbeard
11-04-2008, 15:40
The one you enjoy the looks/feel and playstyle of the most.

Also modelling/painting of said army is also a big factor too..sometimes bigger than even the playstyle.

Eric.W
11-04-2008, 15:45
Im looking for a evil team which is not chaos cos i got one of them know
It needs to be 40k
and real evil

It needs to have like some good things to it
like good powers

sigur
11-04-2008, 15:52
Okay.....uuhm....*sigh*. Could it be that...no, wait, let's post the usual reply for such threads.

Welcome to Warseer. I think that there's only one helpful suggestion we can give you at the moment: Read the rulebook. BUY and rulebook and then read it, over and over again. Read the game's background. Have a look at the miniatures (read and learn the rules FIRST). Then decide.

Seriously, I think you should learn about 40k before choosing an army.

edit: Oh, and there's an "edit" button, so you don't need to double-post.

Müller
11-04-2008, 15:53
"Best" playwise is (was) in my experiences CSM, mainly due to the great variety of a force you could create and the way I created mine was pure death and destruction, chosen with deamonic icon of khorne mounted in a rhino for tying up enemy shooting units FAST, then into the fray came the unit of possessed along with my demon prince, and as soon as needed the bloodletters were summoned and laid waste on everything in their path. this fray as always supported by 3 12-man CSM squads along with 5-6 chosen in terminator armor and a defiler at the back keeping enemy shooter units pinned..

But since I cant take bloodletters in the badass way now that I could before *curses at the new codex* I have to go with Space Marines, same reasons as CSM when it comes to diversity, sadly not as deadly CC units but still helluva deadly and that 3+ save as standard is hard to beat for the points...

Eric.W
11-04-2008, 16:03
im trying to get an over all thing of what people think is the best army in 40k,AND DO NOT SAY MINE LIKE THAT OVER GUY IT DOSNT HELP!!!!
it has got to be evil but not chaos

zealot!
11-04-2008, 16:04
forum syndrome at its worst

the best army for you is the one that plays and looks like you want it to. you should learn the rules in order to be able to decide.

Eric.W
11-04-2008, 16:08
i want your opinion

sliganian
11-04-2008, 16:10
Eldar, because they have the Phonics Lords. The Phonics Lords will one day return, and will fly through the Internet correcting bad spelling and grammar. A pretty powerful ability, when one ponders on it.

Latro_
11-04-2008, 16:24
im trying to get an over all thing of what people think is the best army in 40k,AND DO NOT SAY MINE LIKE THAT OVER GUY IT DOSNT HELP!!!!

Tried the Decepticons? :rolleyes:

ankara halla
11-04-2008, 16:25
i want your opinion

Wouldn't a better question then be "What army do you like best (and why?)".

Anyway, the best army is the army that is fun to play with and against. That's all there is to it.

wickedvoodoo
11-04-2008, 16:26
All of the armies can be seen as evil in some way.

Seriously just pick the army you like the models for the most. It means you will be more motivated to paint and play them.

Eric.W
11-04-2008, 16:30
What army do you like best

don_mondo
11-04-2008, 16:34
Whichever one you enjoy playing the most, regardless of winning or losing.

Mr Feral
11-04-2008, 16:42
All these incredibly vague questions and answers are making me laugh.

The more "evil" armies excluding CSMs are:

Daemons
Dark Eldar
Necrons
Orks
Tyranids

Choose the one you like the look of best and fire away!

sigur
11-04-2008, 16:46
Alright, I think I'll have to reveal the big old secret (beware, newbies, here comes the answer to all your threads): There is no "best army", Eric.W. And why do you want to know what random, lying, annoyed people on the internet like best anyway?

The second big, big secret I will unravel for you today: There are no "good" and "evil" armies in 40k. (Yes, I can hear you gasp in amazement.)

Just keep in mind what wickedvoodoo said: you'll probably spend more time painting than playing so choose miniatures you like. 40k is background-based, it doesn't work otherwise, so get to know the background. When playing, play scenarios, otherwise the game won't work properly. 40k is quite different from gaming group to gaming group. Etiquette, level of min-maxing, the level of alcohol during games and stuff like that.

Conclusion: People won't be happy about threads with the word "best" in the title. Choose your own army, play it your own way. This isn't a tournament system, there is no "best build/config/combo/power" or whatever you youngsters call it these days. Choose your army, paint it up, have fun.

Winimperial
11-04-2008, 16:50
There is no "best" army in 40k. Every army has their own different strengths and weaknesses. Imperial Guard may be able to devastate armies like Tyranids when it comes to sheer fire power, but when it comes to close combat, Guard will get torn apart.

A better question to be asking would be "what army fits my desired style of play?"

Müller
11-04-2008, 16:51

I read yout top question and answered accrdingly, why do you answer obnoxiously and rude?

I wasen't rude, and I answered your question, I even provided an alternative army, and before you go ballistic and again quote yourself about the whole "evil"-part, you can always make a marine army into say, red corsairs and still run under SM rules, just figre out fluff and other names for the psychic powers, wargear, etc...

As the others have said, pick an army whose background you like and models you love, and go with it

sigur
11-04-2008, 16:54
A better question to be asking would be "what army fits my desired style of play?"

Sorry to go a bit off-topic but do you really thing that there's some thing like a "style of play" nature gave you and which you can not change?

Eric.W
11-04-2008, 17:02
look which army do you like best and why?????????????????????
that is the question i want you to answer

RampagingRavener
11-04-2008, 17:08
Sorry to go a bit off-topic but do you really thing that there's some thing like a "style of play" nature gave you and which you can not change?

If no-one minds my butting in here, I'd say yes. Personally I can't play any army that isn't extremely aggressive in nature (often with heavy emphasis on locking the enemy down with a heavy frontal push and finishing them off with a strong force coming down one flank), be it through assaulting or advancing into rapid-fire range. I do think many people will be predisposed to one general playstyle and find it very hard to play other ways. I've tried Necrons, Tau, Imperial Gaurd, and Marines semi-defensively and never once enjoyed playing that way.

Oh, and to keep this on topic? Personally I'm an Ork player and a big fan of them.

Eric.W
11-04-2008, 17:11
thanks Rampagingravener you no what im talking about

Mr Feral
11-04-2008, 17:27
If you care about what I like the best, I do Renegades & Heretics / Traitor Guard for the manpower and guns, and Red Corsairs because they're the 40K equivalent of superhuman space pirates.

VikingThor
11-04-2008, 17:30
Dark Eldar are evil and cruel. The models are cool. I've never encountered another Dark Eldar player, and the play style is pretty unique. I've heard rumors they they may be getting a new codex (although I've heard that for years, along with the rumor that the race is getting scrapped....)

bassmasterliam
11-04-2008, 17:31
Also its frown upon to say "y" instead of "why" at Warseer, trust me i know.

Kurisu313
11-04-2008, 19:53
Well, I've turned into an imperial player, including it's chaos counterparts with marine, guard, chaos marine, lost and the damned and inquisitorial armies. I find the imperiums background most inspiring, I like the alien races, but they don't grip me.

Seriously though, I don't know how you expect this thread to help you.

- Human
11-04-2008, 20:31
Eric, it really depends on you and the look of the army. Also the playstyle. Think long and hard and you'll realize what your army was all along.

(way too fun)

Eric.W
11-04-2008, 20:46
I was thinking may be dark eldar or tau or Imperial Guard Steel Legion
so if you have ever played with them can you tell me why you liked to play with them and stuff

stroller
11-04-2008, 20:46
I like.... Tyranids because:
1) I like the models
2) I like the options the army gives me. I have a horde army for lots and lots and LOTS of figures - strategy - there they are - get 'em lads (chitter chitter) - simple - but FUN. I have nidzilla too - because I like monstrous creatures. Oh, and you can never have too many.....

I like necrons because I like the old models. Still working on conversions for wraiths and monolith. Oh and what's not to like about gauss weapons and We'll be back? Now if only I could remember that scarabs are fast (tho I did prefer the old suicide bomb tactic)

I like dark eldar because they challenge my skill. My first army. I like the models and the skill required to play. I win or lose big but they stretch me.

I like Tau as my "ww2" or "american" army. Lots of technology and minimise the casualties (NOT the strategy I use with Nids)

Just my tuppence worth

weissengel86
12-04-2008, 00:46
My personal favorite army is the daemonhunters and grey knights since their background is very interesting to me plus the army requires skill and good tactics to win with more so than other armies. the only evil race i care for are the necrons as i feel only contempt for chaos, daemons, and dark eldar (praise the emperor!!). If you want my advice for an evil race pick necrons.

Capt. Jack
12-04-2008, 01:06
List of evil 40k armies. (not in any particular order)
Deamons
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Eldar
Necrons
Orks
Witch Hunters
Daemon Hunters
Tyranids
Eldar
Space Marines
Imperial Gaurd
Tau

Ok, I think I got them all. The point here is that with a little imagination and a cool paint scheme you can turn any army into a evil army. To answer your other questions I'm building a Necromancer inspired CSM army. Zombies for deamons, Varghulf for a greater deamon, and a converted tomb scorpian for obliterators. So far it's been fun to make.

Chaplain Ark
12-04-2008, 02:45
What army do you like best

the only problem with this is that nearly 60% of the people on this forum will say SM cause that army is played by nearly everyone. Yes i play them, but i think eldar and IG are better. what i would suggest is go to GW, and just read the codex's all day. that and the rulebook. then, when you are done make a decision.

In my opinion, don't go Eldar or IG for your first choice. they are good armies, but are more difficult to play then SM or other armies. Tau is good if you like shooting and little CC, Necron is good if you like a few models that can get up and kill tanks with generic weapons, Chaos is fun becuase of the special choices in the Marks, tyranids are the ultimate Swarm/CC army, orks are a mix of shooting and CC for a swarm, and SM are the generic well rounded army.

Remember this is my opinion, with is not fact, (or is it?):D

dblaz3r
12-04-2008, 09:17
Im looking for a evil team which is not chaos cos i got one of them know
It needs to be 40k
and real evil

Marines for you ;) :evilgrin:

Lijacote
12-04-2008, 09:35
Marines for you ;) :evilgrin:

Ultramarines, to be specific.

Eric.W
12-04-2008, 09:41
thanks ...

the1stpip
12-04-2008, 10:15
Okay, Dark Eldar would be my favourite, but if you wish to play with them, you have to be determined, cos you may lose a lot of your early games (oh, and a lot of the models are naff).

Otherwise, the best 'evil' army ( we know what he means) would be Orks, who have lots of options, some great models, and are a fun army to play with (and they are my next project).

Eric.W
12-04-2008, 10:27
Ye the problem with orks is that i can not paint them green its hard
but thankes anyway

Bassik
12-04-2008, 10:31
Just play Chaos...
You know you want to. There's no reason to deny your feelings...
Just take a look at the miniature page.
Yes.. http://uk.games-workshop.com/chaosspacemarines/miniature%2Dgallery/
You like that, don't you? You want to own it, don't you?

Affcorse you do.

Müller
12-04-2008, 10:37
Ye the problem with orks is that i can not paint them green its hard
but thankes anyway

Hard? c'mon, base them black, then apply goblin green, then green ink, then semi-drybrush over with either goblin- or snot green depending on how dark you want their skin....

Eric.W
12-04-2008, 10:37
I am a bit bored of chaos because i have played them for 2 years

Müller
12-04-2008, 10:41
I am a bit bored of chaos because i have played them for 2 years

Honestly, how can one ever get bored with chaos?
They are the most diverse race, and hell, if you say, for eaxmple, played World eaters before, try switching to maybe Alpha Legion och why not the badass Word Bearers?

Eric.W
12-04-2008, 10:44
I was thinking may be Imperial Guard Steel Legion so if you have any off them can you tell me if you liked them and stuff

Müller
12-04-2008, 10:47
I love the IG models, but not the army itself...
If you'd be going IG i say Legion of The Damned, unfortunately there's been speculations of it not being allowed anymore, but if you'd play against me I
d let you use the army list, I LOVE the idea of hordes of zombies alongside renegade and traitor guardsmen

Eric.W
12-04-2008, 11:47
ye can you get the legion of the damned on forge world

sigur
12-04-2008, 11:47
There's quite a considerable difference between the Lost and the Damned and the Legion of the Damned, innit?;)

Griffo
12-04-2008, 13:28
My number one favourite has got to be IG...there's just so much stuff you can do with them, and there's so many different models and types that you can choose from.

Another favourite of mine is Orks. I've never collected them and probably never will. What i can say though is that they are awesome to play against. I love all of their fluff and it's great to see what conversions/contraptions can be made by the Ork players :P. I guess i just find them kinda funny too!

As for Chaos. It's gotta' be Death Guard for me. The models are great and they're a good solid army to play with. Room for great/horrible looking conversions, too :P

Space Wolves are another favourite of mine. My first ever army i collected and i have gone back to them a couple of times. They appeal to me as they have great fluff, nice models, awesome characters and are immense in close combat.

Tyranids are another army i have always loved and said i would collect. But never did! Mainly like them because of their models.

I guess you just have to remember that all armies are good.

Eric.W
12-04-2008, 15:13
I must say that IG a pritty cool

Son of Makuta
12-04-2008, 15:47
Yeah, well, the coolest army in 40K is the Nids... Because they just are. ;)

Dr. Acula
12-04-2008, 15:50
It may sound odd but I'm a fan of Daemonhunters - the models are great (apart from the cost) and an all Grey Knight army is vicious in close combat, especially if you get into combat with people who they can instant kill.

Panzerkanzler
12-04-2008, 16:10
This Elric person is obviously just goofing around. Either he's such an unbelievable imbecille that the answers won't matter or he's just having fun with you guys (I'm betting on, and hoping for, the latter). Either way any answers are entirely superfluous. Now I'm going to have some crab pie.

Müller
12-04-2008, 16:34
There's quite a considerable difference between the Lost and the Damned and the Legion of the Damned, innit?;)

Everybody here knew quite well which army I meant ;)
And or those who are just that new to this wonderful hobby I did mean The Lost And The Damned, rules for them are in Codex: Eye Of Terror

DonKarst0n
12-04-2008, 16:49
Why do I always am so late to respond to threads like this?
My initial answer would have been:

"The best army in 40k is clearly the Imperial Guard.
They blast everything from the table with their uber-weapons and crush everything beneath their tank-tracks. What is left you overwhelm with countless guardsmen happy to led a frontal assault.
Yeah life within the guard is a happy one."

.... in theory.

Okay and now seriously.
If you have decided yourself for the most glorious Armageddon Steel Legion I'd like to welcome you amongst the defenders of the Imperium of man.
But they are not an evil faction in the classical way.
The great thing about 40k is that it doesn't deal in absolutes. There are no good guys and no bad guys hitting each other.
To ensure humanity's survival actions have to be taken that are not very... heroic or morally correct.
(I am not dealing with Ultrasmurfs here.)

Playwise the Armageddon Steel Legion fields a lot of Chimeras. So it is a mechanised infantry army.
About the Imperial Guard being competitive one can argue. I can only say that if you are looking for a convinced evil army with which you can pull off more wins than losses then the IG is definately not an army for you.

Panzerkanzler
12-04-2008, 17:06
There are no good guys and no bad guys hitting each other.

Lies! The Tau are fighting for the greater good! Everyone must acknowledge the supremacy of blue skin colour :D

ShadowDeth
12-04-2008, 17:11
Within hobbies such as this, with perceived subjective power levels to armies, it's hard to get a straight answer from enthusiasts.

If you're asking what is the most powerful army, I would go with Dark Eldar. They just have a lot of issues that keep them from showing up more often. The list is absolutely unfair, and way over the power level of most other armies, it just requires perfect movement. As such it's largely unplayable to the public.

The most powerful and most forgiving would easily be Chaos or Marines. I personally see 3+ armor as a crutch though.

Now to actually answer your question, if it's even a genuine one - I'd go with 13th company, Dark Eldar, Lost and The Damned or Generic Chaos.

I personally identify with dark Eldar the most from a play style perspective, but sometimes I'd prefer not to have to exhaust myself mentally just to play a game of 40k.

13th Company has built in restrictions and the addition of a psychic deep strike, and dog units. Otherwise, it's just space wolves with no vehicles or transports and the average troop is meaner. This is the army I have the most fun playing, and sometimes can even compete.

Lost and the Damned, will probably always be my favorite on all accounts though. The modeling possibilities, the ability to form entirely separate lists from game to game, the combination of guard and chaos and one of the better basic troops in the game (now defunct).

And you can't really go wrong with generic chaos. Now that they are balanced in regards to the over the top 3rd edition codex, I don't fear having to screen my chaos opponents anymore.

DonKarst0n
12-04-2008, 17:12
They are so good that they annihilate everyone who doesn't see his own advantages in fighting for the greater good.

:D

kishvier
12-04-2008, 17:14
Chaos Marines. Worship your favorite god and find a way to hate the Imperium and just about anything else.

FrankanBarrie
12-04-2008, 18:20
Grey Knights are is the best army for one reason Grey Knight Terminators =D

Eric.W
12-04-2008, 18:52
I think tau might be good

Eric.W
12-04-2008, 18:57
I think tau might be good because fighting for the greater good

Eric.W
12-04-2008, 19:07
but IG look cool

Splagbot
12-04-2008, 19:08
The Greater Good's only great and good if you're a part of it, if you're not of the same mind as the Tau then they'll seriously mess you up, this is the problem with any belief system really, people do really nasty things for the sake of a belief and the Tau are no different I'll wager.

I'm personally and Imperial Guard fellow, those Cadian chaps I find most pleasing to the eye and I'll forgive them most things, which is good for them really considering some of my boy's most recent performances in battle.

Edit:I can forgive most things matey, but triple posting isn't one of them.:mad:

DonKarst0n
12-04-2008, 19:08
I think triple post might not be so good.

Eric.W
12-04-2008, 19:12
I like necrons but there isnt that meany of them

Taliel
12-04-2008, 20:28
Eldar

hence I play with them

Eric.W
12-04-2008, 20:37
I must say that IG and necrons look cool

Eric.W
12-04-2008, 20:40
O as well do eldar

Griffo
12-04-2008, 22:12
Is this thread serious, then? I sincerely hope so as there have been some pretty large, thought-out replies/advice. Be a shame if it turns out it's someone having a laugh.

toymaker
12-04-2008, 22:18
Death Guard. Because i love the modeling possibilities

Panzerkanzler
13-04-2008, 00:06
Seriously...don't you guys see how the Eric guy is just pulling your legs? Why do you try to feed him useful information when he's just out for a laugh by pretendig to be brain dead?

Eric.W
13-04-2008, 09:24
look im not having a laugh Panzerkanzler i just wont to know what you like playing and why because im making a new army but i dont know which army i want to know what people like to play with and why

sigur
13-04-2008, 10:03
Seriously...don't you guys see how the Eric guy is just pulling your legs? Why do you try to feed him useful information when he's just out for a laugh by pretendig to be brain dead?

Whoops, I think we all are going to be banned now for feeding a troll.:p But yeah, you're probably right.

ImperiusDominatus
13-04-2008, 13:16
I'd say the Imperial Guard is my favorite army. Not only are they just plain fun to play, but they have the added bonus (in my area at least) of being one of the most underestimated armies in the game.

But to be honest, you sound like a Space Marine player. I'd start Marines if I were you; all the cool kids are doing it.