PDA

View Full Version : Dwarfs Vs Tomb kings

Gwelandor
11-04-2008, 15:58
hi, ive got a battle coming up against a tomb king player ive never played before. ill be using my dwarfs in a 2000pt battle. i have access to pretty much everything in the list and ive no idea how he plays and what he uses but i suspect lots of tomb scorpions. so need some advice/tips anyone can give me.

cheers.

unforgiven555
11-04-2008, 19:53
hi, ive got a battle coming up against a tomb king player ive never played before.

I find dwarves are quite well suited to face tomb kings. TK generally will cast 5-6 spells in a turn, having somewhere in the range of 11-13 of the TK equivalent of power dice. The dwarven magic defense is pretty much capable of shutting this down entirely. A rather obvious piece of advice - focus on obliterating his units entirely with your shooting. Similar to VC he can just re-raise them (unless you've got very very dedicated anti-magic he'll probably get one incantation through), although unlike VC he can't raise anywhere near the amount of troops per phase or raise beyond their initial starting point. You're better off to save your DS to stop his incantations of urgency. You're biggest problem is going to be his tomb scorpions.

- An interesting side note - if your opponent takes the casket of souls (I can't fathom why he would) he'll do on average 0 wounds to you - with your leadership of 9. Take this into account if your ever worried about letting it go off.

Oenghus
11-04-2008, 20:05
Take that nasty rune which makes wizards forget spells. Knock the movement spell out of his most powerful priest/King's mind, and you'll save yourself a great deal of trouble in terms of dispel dice management.

As unforgiven mentioned, concentrate your war machine fire. Wipe out units in their entirety before moving on to the next ones. Beware burrowing critters -- spread your war machines out so they can't all be killed by one or two scorpions/swarms.

SonoftheMountain
11-04-2008, 20:12
If the points limit is high enough, take a Runelord on Anvil, Thorek if possible, and at least 1 block of Miners with a Steam Drill. They should show up by turn 3 at the latest, and have them go to town on any Caskets/Catapults.

unforgiven555
11-04-2008, 20:26
Thorek if possible

Watch your opponent's face twist in sheer horror as your units charge his. Making your troops immune to fear is really bad for the TK, as most of your troops have a very high leadership, and TK rely very heavily on auto breaking on the charge - chariots aren't so great without their impact hits.

Jack of Blades
11-04-2008, 20:31
hi, ive got a battle coming up against a tomb king player ive never played before. ill be using my dwarfs in a 2000pt battle. i have access to pretty much everything in the list and ive no idea how he plays and what he uses but i suspect lots of tomb scorpions. so need some advice/tips anyone can give me.

cheers.

Don't forget to let him get some incantations through, if you can't stop it all. It's a lot better than just rolling to dispel whatever comes up. Obviously you stop the most important ones in this case.

Gwelandor
12-04-2008, 10:56
thanks for the interesting replys.
i was also considering taking the anvil (not thorek though) as you mentioned. making my units immune to fear/terror and helping my miners charge when they arrive. i might give him enough combat runes so he can fight off any scorpions that will no doubt will target him. something like GW rune of kragg, snorri and fury. then 1+ save with immune to killing blow/poison. this would be the heart beat of the army but will be a big point sink. :eek:

cheers.

unforgiven555
12-04-2008, 12:07
this would be the heart beat of the army but will be a big point sink.

Thorek cheesebrow....

Considering that TK are considered by many to be one of the most "balanced" armies out there - you may not have an opponent after taking Thorek - he's not exactly.. reasonable.

Gazak Blacktoof
12-04-2008, 14:28
Take that nasty rune which makes wizards forget spells. Knock the movement spell out of his most powerful priest/King's mind, and you'll save yourself a great deal of trouble in terms of dispel dice management.

This is particularly evil. You can't eat the "My will be done!" spells though, only those of priests but the original point still stands.

Dwarfs are a pain in the ass for tomb kings to deal with. Their anti-magic is tough to get rid of because its either tied up in fairly tough characters or is just a free racial bonus that you can't remove. If you want a fun game, don't tailor your dwarfs to beat tomb kings, they should handle themselves fine. Going OTT on anti-magic and shooting is going to suck ALL of the fun out of the game and your opponent will likely never want to play you again.

Gwelandor
12-04-2008, 14:36
i dont intend to tailor my list against TK, like you said i want a fun game. if i take the anvil i wont take any other runesmiths. 7 DD in 2k game should do the trick.