PDA

View Full Version : why?

bassmasterliam
11-04-2008, 17:43
Its seems to me that GW doesn't really listen to the common players wants these days, i mean i have heard people say "If they brought that out in plastic i would buy ten boxes" or "i hate having the imperium shun the other races i would buy space marines but they are so boring". I feel that if they made afew changes they would get a load more money by listening to the smart people on Warseer who know what they want. sure it would cost money to make certain sets in plastic but i think they are losing money by not, i really hate the blister packs that cost around seven or eight quid these days and you have to spend around 60 quid to get 15 or so models.

but why? (I'm sorry i had to quote yu gi oh the abridged series watch it on youtube its great).

Wargamejunkie
11-04-2008, 17:49
Well, I wouldn't go as far as listening to people about production.

I would like them to listen for things they can fix in a short amount of time. FAQ's being the main one, I mean is it all that terribly hard to put some of these issues to bed.

Silly things like shoota boy PK being the most recent "hot" topic

Reaver83
11-04-2008, 17:57
i wouldn't listen to warseer, the wish list regularly changes, and discussions here vare very different to in store discussions about things

The Orange
11-04-2008, 18:32
Limited resources, simple as that IMO. Seems like their current maximum is approximately 4 plastic sprues per army release. I'm sure they'd more then love to have everything in plastic, considering how much cheaper it probably is to produce a plastic frame rather then a metal mini. But they can't do the whole range at one time, so were stuck with them slowly plasticizing as much as they can for each army as projects get done.

Fay_Redd
11-04-2008, 18:36
here here, i would be in heaven with plastic hive tyrants, plastic greaters, plastic everything. it would make armies so much better, more customizable, lighter and far more resilient than brittle metal models, as the orange stated they are probably getting it done over the course of updates and such, i would prefer them to go all out and remake the entire range but thats a pipe dream. ALSO with 5th ed on our doorsteps almost we can probaly expect plenty more new plastics to come with it.

Swifty
11-04-2008, 18:40
Because to GW Warseer is a joke so no one takes it seriously.

battle captain corpus
11-04-2008, 18:45
Bla blah bahaha blahaha...Dungeons and Dragons is over there if you want to play it. Quite whining and just enjoy the hobby a little guys... ;)

MrInsomniac
11-04-2008, 18:50
I wouldn't listen to Warsser if I was GW. You hearing people say they want something is not going to change anything and even if it did, by the time things went into production, the want will have switched to something completely different.

People on Warseer need to stop taking themselves so seriously.

Stingray_tm
11-04-2008, 18:50
"Why should we listen to those nerds, who are spending all their money on toys, while living in their parents basement?"

loveless
11-04-2008, 18:55
Warseer is an internet forum.
As such, the loudest minority of WH players is heard here.

Lord Damocles
11-04-2008, 19:16
If GW listened to Warseer's 'advice':
-The Tau would be 'darker', but at the same time wouldn't exist due to being too 'nice'
-The Necrons never would have had any fluff beyond the original raiders list
-The C'tan would have eaten the galaxy
-Space marines would have movie stats, but nobody would be allowed to play them
-The Emperor would have woken up and fundamentally changed the nature of 40K
-The Emperor would have died and fundamentally changed the nature of 40K
-Imperial Guard would own eveyone
-We'd be playing 2nd edition
-We'd be playing 5th edition
Anyone see the obvious problem here?:p

AmBlam
Its seems to me that GW doesn't really listen to the common players wants these days, i mean i have heard people say "If they brought that out in plastic i would buy ten boxes" or "i hate having the imperium shun the other races i would buy space marines but they are so boring". I feel that if they made afew changes they would get a load more money by listening to the smart people on Warseer who know what they want. sure it would cost money to make certain sets in plastic but i think they are losing money by not, i really hate the blister packs that cost around seven or eight quid these days and you have to spend around 60 quid to get 15 or so models.

but why? (I'm sorry i had to quote yu gi oh the abridged series watch it on youtube its great).

GW is in dire straights. It doesn't have time to listen to its customers. It needs to generate hysteria over its latest release that was really just like the last one. This is how GW makes money, through generating hysteria. Its more profitable to tell children and nerds what they want as opposed to giving adults what they want.

Wintermute
I'm moving this to Other GW discussion

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

bassmasterliam
11-04-2008, 19:41
I'm really sorry i brought this up now most people just think i'm being big headed :p (which i'm not).

dr.oetk3r
11-04-2008, 19:49
"Why should we listen to those nerds, who are spending all their money on toys, while living in their parents basement?"

Because they're the source of our income? :eyebrows:

weareinalotoftroublebeale
11-04-2008, 20:03
If GW listened to Warseer's 'advice':
Anyone see the obvious problem here?:p

Advice (and also every other concerning customer who may or may not have internet access or be a member of warseer):

-GW would be in profit (by listening to their market sample may not be this forum)
-GW will have an abundance of satisfied customers, compared to the army of dis-satisfied customers
-GW would have more stores
-GW would be a private holding company, thus not slaves to the bankers/fiancers who want their rightful returns and couldn't give a monkeys about your hobby
-White Dwarf would be the envy of the hobby magazine world

and a lot more.

Thanks
Beale

bassmasterliam
11-04-2008, 20:15
Thank you weareinalotoftroublebeale (your name is long!) thats what i was saying.

VerifiablySane
11-04-2008, 20:23
But surely Lord Damocles' point is about who exactly would get listened to - would it be the ones who (for example) love Tau and want them to stay the same, or love them but want them darker, or hate them and want to get rid of them? Or love plastics and hate metal, or hate plastics and love metal? Ad infinitum...

bassmasterliam
11-04-2008, 21:51
Well it would be what the majority would vote for.

The pestilent 1
11-04-2008, 22:23
Bla blah bahaha blahaha...Dungeons and Dragons is over there if you want to play it. Quite whining and just enjoy the hobby a little guys... ;)

:eyebrows:

Bookwrak
11-04-2008, 22:25
Well it would be what the majority would vote for.

That is the worst idea I've ever heard. (in regards as to how to run a gaming company anyway)

The Guy
11-04-2008, 22:37
what they should [IMO] do is release polls in white dwarf or in store every month asking what the customers would like to see. People can then reply to this question with an answer. These answers are then gathered and evaluated. They are then debated over whether the idea/s are good or not and should be put into practise.

Lord Damocles
11-04-2008, 22:57
what they should [IMO] do is release polls in white dwarf or in store every month asking what the customers would like to see. People can then reply to this question with an answer. These answers are then gathered and evaluated. They are then debated over whether the idea/s are good or not and should be put into practise.

Surely this is what happens now though? - Except for them not asking us.
A WD poll (or any poll really) will be made up mainly of pointless suggestions that GW won't even consider (Bring back the Emperor lol! :rolleyes:).
GW would be left with the sensible ideas; which they could have come up with on their own.

Personally, I'd prefer not to be asked, than to be asked and know that GW arn't going to take a blind bit of notice.

Sarevok
11-04-2008, 23:58
There's some middle ground between totally ignoring your customers and obeying every random opinion thrown at you.

Imperialis_Dominatus
12-04-2008, 08:06

Which is silly. You don't just ignore a segment of your customer base because 'lolz I saw a thred wer dey hated on uz so must be haters lolz!' That's stupidity.

While the pestilent 1's response didn't quite jump at the opportunity to fill ten characters, I must repeat it:

:eyebrows:

Though, of course, : eyebrows : is ten characters minus the spaces I put in to keep it from being a smiley.

That is the worst idea I've ever heard. (in regards as to how to run a gaming company anyway)

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the other ones." -paraphrased from Churchill. :p

Bring back the Emperor lol!

Yeah! And bring back the Squa- OH SHI---! ;)

There's some middle ground between totally ignoring your customers and obeying every random opinion thrown at you.

The man is a wise one. But you neglect one of the principles of Warseer: There is no middle ground. Ever.

bassmasterliam
12-04-2008, 12:57

Why is it such a bad idea? it the same as voting for a government, not everyones opinion is going to be listened to only the majority would be. and anyways they would only be suggestions, not GW having to listen and abhear to everything the the customers said.

Templar Ben
12-04-2008, 13:19
Well you can vote on the leader of GW. Buy a share of stock and vote. No government puts out a vote everyday to see what decision will be made. That guy with the big desk that gets large bags of cash does so simply because of his ability to make decisions. Part of that is making hard decisions which may result in neither side of an issue being happy.

I don't think GW should put out a web poll but I do think GW should elicit feedback from the customer base. A reply card in each box set would be the easiest way. Otherwise they are making decisions blind which is a very poor way of doing business.

BTW having a few designers go to a tournament and listen to complaints of those that are not necessarily representative of the customer base is worst then making decisions blind, it is making decisions with bad data.

Koryphaus
12-04-2008, 13:56
There is also the issue of money.

Simply put, moulds (dies) are incredibly expensive, due to the amount of steel and machinery involved. I worked in a refrigerator factory injection moulding (plastics) dept last year, and learned to my shock that a die for making a tiny little component could easily cost upwards of Au$100,000 which at time of posting is about 42623 GB Pounds...

Think of just how many moulds GW must need now, and would need to redo if they redid their entire range in plastics... They would probably even need new moulding machines, and they cost a packet as well.

bassmasterliam
12-04-2008, 14:24
BTW having a few designers go to a tournament and listen to complaints of those that are not necessarily representative of the customer base is worst then making decisions blind, it is making decisions with bad data.

Yes but you can never get the opinoin of every gamer in the world can you. There has got to be at least a million players in the world and there is no way of representiong them all is there.

lord_blackfang
12-04-2008, 14:50

Thank god.

philbrad2
12-04-2008, 15:12

You'd be surprised what elements of GW 'prowl' this and other GW based forums.

GW makes the majority of its money from kids who enter the gaming world for a few years before moving onto the next thing. Vets who have built up their armies aren't big spenders so GW doesn't concentrate on them. However long term vets/experienced gamers whatever you wish to use are a long term source of income. We've been crying out for years for GW to support veteran gamers but the more they don't offer support the more I see veteran gamers supporting their gaming through clubs and through sites like WarSeer.

GW haven't listened to us so far so why start? I use all the resources I can to support my 40K gaming. Even purchasing from GW direct is an increasingly small part of they hobby support.

PhilB
:skull:

Bookwrak
12-04-2008, 15:14
Why is it such a bad idea? it the same as voting for a government, not everyones opinion is going to be listened to only the majority would be. and anyways they would only be suggestions, not GW having to listen and abhear to everything the the customers said.

Because with Warseer as an example, a good portion of the fanbase knows absolute squat about running a company, making models, or the decisions involved in doing either, and you're not going to get a good consensus over anything. Look at the 'what's the most over-powered army' where every army save Daemonhunters gets the nod for being the worst offender.

bassmasterliam
12-04-2008, 16:55
Again, i mean listening to the customers within reason, not how to run the company but how to improve the game and the models, of course there are going to people who say stupid things. And anyways there are loads of threads where 90% of people commenting on it all agree with each other even if they don't use that particular army or game system.

Templar Ben
12-04-2008, 19:24
Yes but you can never get the opinoin of every gamer in the world can you. There has got to be at least a million players in the world and there is no way of representiong them all is there.

They don't need the opinion of every gamer and I never stated that they did. There are ways to get information from your customer. Given the market for GW products the best way would be inserts. Those that have chosen to leave GW would be ignored but then it would be very difficult for GW to win back people that have now played other games. So much so that it will most likely not be worth the investment.

Anything as easy as posting online is of little value.