PDA

View Full Version : New to 40k, seeking Tau advice

Kaya
11-04-2008, 18:54
Some of you may recall seeing a similar thread about Vampire Counts in the Fantasy section. Well, my husband and I were at odds with each other because I wanted him to try Fantasy, and he wanted me to try 40k.

After reading a lot of posts here, the general opinion seems to be that 40k is a bit easier to get into and learn on, so I figured I'd cave in and pick up a 40k army so my husband and I could actually play together.

Anyway! :) He's been reading something about smaller forces called Combat Patrols (I think they're around or under 400 points or so). We went out last night and snagged me the Codex and the Battleforce box for the Tau Empire from our local hobby store.

He's been trying to poke around and find more info on what kind of Combat Patrol we could make out of the box (He found out the box was really good for making a few kinds of combinations for Combat Patrols), but he's uncertain about what kind of weapons the Stealth Suits and Fire Warriors should take. He's also a bit uncertain about what the XV8 Battlesuit should go with, and he wanted me to ask. His chosen faction is the Necrons at the moment, so he doesn't know much about the Tau. I'm no help at all since this is literally my first peek into 40k.

If anyone could give me some suggestions, we would really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to hopefully trying some games this weekend! :chrome: I should note real quick I'm not a terribly big fan of the Kroot, so I'd like to avoid using them for now if I can.

dark blade
11-04-2008, 19:06
First off welcome to the hobby. If you ever have any questions about anything at all then feel free to mail me or to just postt hem as you have done hear!!

The Streanth of the Tau comes for mobilaty and excessive fire power, so avoid close combat at all costs!! (just some genral advice)

in answer to your questions,
1) it is genrally accsepted that fire warriors are at there best with there rifles. they will out range your huspands necrons and do significant dammage to them where as the pulse carbines will make you fight at closer quarters, where the necrons will have the edge.

2)Stealth sutes come with set wepons, however if you are looking for the wargear to give them i would suggest targeting arrays to make them hit more often.

3) For the XV8 there are several common sepon sets, which are:

SUN FORGE - Two fusion blasters and sheild generator. this wepons set allows you to do a lot of dammage to tanks, but it is very close range and as i said earlyer that is often best avoided with Tau. (also there are very few tanks in combat patrole)

DEATH RAIN - two missile pods and a targeting array make this guy very long range and good aganst infantery and light tanks. It is very unlikly for him to miss but lacks the punch that you will need aganst the necrons.

FIRE KNIFE - this is probably your best choice. the wepons load out is one missile pod and one plasma rifle, then a multi tracker so that you can use both. this set up gives you the punch that you will need aganst the necrons, resonably good range, and can shoot doen just about anything. this wepons set is one of the most feared and the most common of them all.

4) combat patroles are 400 point games desined to be played by people knew to the game, there are several additonal restrictions on the choices that you can take and it is genrally a much more forgiving system for new players. i think that starting with this is a very wise move.

i realise that this is a lot of info and that you may not have understood all of it. but take what you can from it, and have fun :)

all the best DB

Kaya
11-04-2008, 19:36
Well, I don't have to quite understand it all just yet, haha. My husband will get what it means, and he's the one helping me get into this. XD

I really appreciate your advice!

Bregalad
11-04-2008, 20:01
Combat patrol rules out models with two wounds IIRC, so the crisis suits are not allowed, which is bad for Tau (most armies favour lots of suits). But you can make house rules of course.

For crisis suit weapons take the so called fire knife combo (plasma, missile pod, multi tracking) at first, until you are more experienced. Most people take this combo even later, as it is a good general combination.

For further informations, have a look at the Tau Tactica thread:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36565

kishvier
11-04-2008, 20:03
Fire Knife is best. XV8's rock, firewarriors can be mobile.

nightgant98c
11-04-2008, 20:06
Stealth suits can add a fusion blaster, but I never do. I prefer them for anti infantry roles, rather than anti tank. Kroot do have their uses, but they tend to die alot. The crisis suits are very flexible, and can be set up to take out just about anything. So decide what you want to use them for, and give them appropriate weapons. I use two squads, one with plasma and burst cannons, and the other with plasma and fusion blasters. Against necrons, especially at low points, the second setup would be good as it would deny them their armor saves, and if you massed your firepower at a squad, you should be able, with a little luck wipe out a whole squad, thereby negating his We'll Be Back rule.

Edit: While the true combat patrol rules do prohibit two wound models, simply playing a 400 or 500 point game will solve the problem. One HQ and Two troops can very easily be fielded at that point level, and is a good way to start learning the difference between the fantasy and 40k rules.

Adiem
11-04-2008, 20:07
Combat patrol rules out models with two wounds IIRC, so the crisis suits are not allowed, which is bad for Tau (most armies favour lots of suits). But you can make house rules of course.

I'm pretty sure it's more than two wounds, so crisis suits are ok. Certainly the last time I played CP against tau he had nothing but combat suits, so if you're right I'll be having serious words! (needless to say I lost badly :) )

Kaya
11-04-2008, 20:50

For crisis suit weapons take the so called fire knife combo (plasma, missile pod, multi tracking) at first, until you are more experienced. Most people take this combo even later, as it is a good general combination.

For further informations, have a look at the Tau Tactica thread:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36565

I was told it two wounds are okay, but 3 or higher are not, so the suit should be alright. Thanks for that thread, I'll go give it a read over. :D

gojira316
11-04-2008, 21:28
Combat Patrol allows for two wound models and Fire Knife XV8's are mean in Combat Patrol.

Cirenivel
11-04-2008, 21:45
Well, the battleforce will come to aprox 350-400 points, depending on outfit (without kroot), so it will be a pretty nice force to start with.

I'd have the firewarriors with only pulse rifles, and possibly a shas'ui with bonding knife. DO NOT take grenades.
As for the suits; Stealths is best served 'naked', possibly with targeting arrays, just to make every shot count.
Standard XV8's is a different matter. I prefer either fusion blaster, plasma rifle and multi-tracker (sometimes targeting array too) or twin missile pod and targeting array. That's because I'm in need of light anti-tank, or anti heavy infantry and I can't really think of a better way to get either.

Edit: While the true combat patrol rules do prohibit two wound models, simply playing a 400 or 500 point game will solve the problem. One HQ and Two troops can very easily be fielded at that point level, and is a good way to start learning the difference between the fantasy and 40k rules.

Nope, three wounds the no-no, two is perfectly legal. However, it does mean that Tau can't have their compulsory 1+ commander :rolleyes:

Cirenivel

Kaya
12-04-2008, 02:31
I've got two working lists, comments or adjustments are welcome. Also if someone could double check that I added up the points totals correctly on some of the models that would be really great.

List 1:
Fire Warriors -135
11 Shas'La
1 Shas'Ui
Bonding Knife

DevilFish - 90
Disruption Pod
Decoy Launchers

XV8 Crisis Battlesuit - 62
Plasma Rife
Missile Pod
Multi Tracker

Plasma Rife
Missile Pod
Multi Tracker

4 Gun Drones - 48

Total: 397

List 2:
Fire Warriors - 135
11 Shas'La
1 Shas'Ui
Bonding Knife

DevilFish - 90
Disruption Pod
Decoy Launchers

Plasma Rife
Missile Pod
Multi Tracker

Stealth Team -105
Targeting array

Total: 392

My husband will be fielding 11 warriors and 4 destroyers in his combat patrol.

nightgant98c
12-04-2008, 10:46
Not a bad looking list.

Son of Makuta
12-04-2008, 12:37
FOUR DESTROYERS??? In 400 points???

Good lord... Tell him to stop being so cheesy... (Cheesy, as you'll soon come to realise after haunting the internet for any length of time, is some kind of 'technical term'. It's not easy to define, but it basically means lists that are imbalanced or overpowered.)

I'm not a Tau player meself, but my Tyranids have eaten more of them than I know how to count (two of my main opponents are Tau players), and was once interested in starting them myself, so here's my input.

Destroyers are nasty prospects. They're fast and have good firepower. Fortunately, their guns are AP4, meaning that your 3+ save Crisis and Stealth teams will be able to ignore two thirds of the wounds they take.

The best way to take down the Necrons is usually to force a phase-out. What this means is that when Necrons lose 75% of their 'Necron' models (some of them, such as Pariahs and Monoliths, don't count towards this) the whole army, including the non-Necrons, vanishes from the table and you win. He's got 15 models, so you need to kill... er... 12? Yeah, 12. As such, if the Destroyers are running away from you, don't worry too much about it. Kill the Warrior squad and one Destroyer, and the other three will go pop.

As to lists, I'd recommend the second one, for X amount of reasons:
1) Stealth teams have good firepower and can dish out the hurt. 9 BS4 shots are a force to be reckoned with.
2) They have a 3+ armour save. This is proof against all of his firepower, meaning you'll stop 2/3rds of the wounds you take on average, and will also help you out if you need to tie down one of his Destroyers by charging it.
3) They can Infiltrate, so they deploy after both armies, and can get in 18" pain range early.
4) Like the Crisis and Gun Drones, they have jump packs, but they also have something called a stealth field generator. This means that when your husband's 'Crons shoot at them, they have to roll 2D6x3 and that's the furthest distance they can see the Stealth teams. This will help you evade Destroyer firepower somewhat.

As to tactics, I'd suggest two things you could do. Use the XV8 to try and snipe out the Destroyers with its medium/long ranged weapons, and send the others after the Warrior squad. You will have to dump a LOT of wounds onto the Warriors to kill them, because they have 3+ saves, and get back up next turn on a 4+ (grrr). (For the record, Destroyers are the same, but have a higher Toughness and can more easily evade your firepower due to their mobility.)

You can do this either by sitting the Fire Warriors in cover and shooting them with 30" pulse rifles for a while, putting the Devilfish in front to force target priority tests and contribute its own five shots to the fight (it will die because of Gauss weaponry, but it'll last a turn or two), and using the Stealth team to get close and unload in their faces.

Alternately, you can put all 12 Fire Warriors into the Devilfish and unleash the tactic known as the 'Fish of Fury'. Fly close to the target squad, in this case the Warriors most likely, jump out, and rapid fire, unloading 24 S5 shots onto them. This does mean you have to keep the Devilfish alive, but you can hide it behind Size 3 terrain on the way up to aid with this. With the Fire Warriors, the Devilfish itself, and the Stealth team, you stand a good chance of wiping out the whole Warrior squad in one turn. If so, they don't get their rolls to get back up, because a Necron only gets to make its 4+ We'll Be Back roll if there's another 'Cron of the same type within 6".

If in the same turn you get lucky, wipe out the whole squad and the Crisis nabs a Destroyer, you'll force him to phase out, and win the game. Ouch.

That help? :D

Kaya
14-04-2008, 08:51
Well, we spent all day yesterday tag-team assembling my Tau units, and tonight we decided to just give it a test run. We're both total newbies, so odds are high we did a lot of stuff wrong, but we ended up having a blast.

The high point of the game was my Devilfish chasing his Necron Warriors around a piece of terrain while I slowly picked them off and he kept trying to shoot at other people across the table. I seriously giggle at the visual of an intense battle of undead guys being chased around by a huge ship they're trying to get behind. I can totally picture it with the Benny Hill music too. haha

I learned that the Stealth Suits seem to be really good. :) I also learned that "We'll Be Back" was really annoying. XD

IceDragon84
14-04-2008, 09:15
If you ever fight that setup again I'd recommend targeting his destroyers right at the start, once you wipe them, his warriors will have to remain immobile to shoot you as you can keep away from their 12" rapid-fire range with the jump-shoot-jump of your crisis/stealth suits. Really funny.

As for 4 destroyers in 400 points I thik it makes perfect sense, I play Necrons myself and thats what I used when we started combat patrols. Necron units are pretty expensive, so there's really not a lot of different options at such low points, plus the minimum destroyers in a squad is 3. If you wanna use them you'll get very few options for the remaining points, an extra destroyer, a spider, extra warriors, a wraith or a couple scarabs.