PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU carry your nids.

Theadium
11-04-2008, 19:39
Hey guys, I have a question for you...

I am one of those gamers that loves the game and also loves fully painted armies, however has no time to paint a full one. So usually I just throw my army into a box, no paint to chip so theres no problem. NOW i have a problem however. I have been spending a lot of time working on my nid army, and I want to be able to transfer them to play in tournis and such. However, as you are probably all aware of, GW's cases are not made with the thought of Tyranids even hitting them. The foam holes are too small for most of the troops. So heres the question. What do YOU carry your nids in? Im looking for ideas on what to make/buy. Pictures of what you carry in are greatly appreciated also.

Thanks so much!

Pekel
11-04-2008, 19:42
I carry 2,000+ pts of Tyranids - including a winged Tyrant, two Carnifexes, Raveners, Zoanthropes, and 48 Gaunts - in one of these (http://www.saboldesigns.net/motorpool.html). Never had any problems with it.

bassmasterliam
11-04-2008, 19:43
I carry mine in a bowl of soup.

Mr. Smuckles
11-04-2008, 19:44
My gf totes her nids around in a picnic basket filled with eggshell foam. It's appropriate for the OM NOM NOM-ness.

Adiem
11-04-2008, 19:46
I'm in sort of the same place as you are - very little painted, so it's all in shoeboxes and whatnot. I have found that a few layers of bubblewrap helps keep them all apart though (with some careful carrying), so you might want to invest in some of that while you decide.

Not terribly helpful I'm afraid, but at the very least I sympathise - nids are a pain to cart about! (especially hormagaunts, stupid scything talons!)

leonmallett
11-04-2008, 19:51
I have a case that holds 8x foam trays of GW size (it is one of the Aquila logo GW fabric ones). That takes trays I get from Figures in Comfort, such that I have trays of all sorts of depths and cut outs to fit various model sizes. FiC do their own cases so are well worth a look (click on the link):

Figures In Comfort (http://www.figuresincomfort.co.uk/)

Fay_Redd
11-04-2008, 19:57
take this from a 4 time nid player, there is no safe way of transporting nids, ever never ever ever. hormagaunts always break, metal models.....well that applies to every metal model out there, Nids break thats the short story

Dreachon
11-04-2008, 20:26
I use the spare FW box I have left from my titan, their large boxes can hold a lot and if you keep the packaging stuff you don't have to worry much about chipped paint

stroller
11-04-2008, 20:56
I use laptop posting case - similar size to large GW case and 3 layers of eggshell / apple indent foam for the gaunts. Shoebox for the big guys

FireN.Brimstone
11-04-2008, 21:03
If it were me, I'd put magnets on the bases and just transport them on a cookie sheet or two.

Light of the Emperor
11-04-2008, 21:54
I have seen people use magnets and then putting them in multi shelf metal tool boxes. Works quite well.

My brother transports all his plastic models in boxes lined with bubble wrap. They are varnished and plastic is less likely to chip so there are never any problems. The metal models will eventually get their own box which will be segmented into squares with foam on all sides. That should keep them ok.
The key is to have patience putting them in and out of their transport as the claws get hooked on everything.

Huw_Dawson
11-04-2008, 21:59
Nids break easily...

Metal Hive Tyrants hitting them breaks them EASIER.

Keep them AWAY from the rest of your models!

- Huw

Bookwrak
11-04-2008, 23:08
take this from a 4 time nid player, there is no safe way of transporting nids, ever never ever ever. hormagaunts always break, metal models.....well that applies to every metal model out there, Nids break thats the short story

Hardly.

The Sabol foam trays, carried in whatever is most convenient to you, will keep them safe from just about anything short of being dropped down the stairs.

Norsehawk
12-04-2008, 00:17
I have a sabol case, but when I am transporting a ton of troops, I go with a jeweler's travel case, 3 inch deep wooden trays, Eventually I will get some sheet metal to place in the bottom and magnetize each of the bases. One 3 inch tray will hold near 90 terminators

Theadium
12-04-2008, 00:28
See, my hive tyrant has wings. Each wing is bigger than the tyrant himself. I was thinking about buying a toolbox, possibly getting some adhesive magnets, then gluing washers to the bottom of my model's bases. What do you guys think about that?

Grubnar
12-04-2008, 02:25
I carry 2,000+ pts of Tyranids - including a winged Tyrant, two Carnifexes, Raveners, Zoanthropes, and 48 Gaunts - in one of these (http://www.saboldesigns.net/motorpool.html). Never had any problems with it.

What he said.

It is great because you can make it fit PERFECTLY for the more "difficult" monsters like carnifexes and warriors and raveners and so on.

TheDarkDuke
12-04-2008, 02:41
Uh no problems here using the large half troop/half tank GW carry case... you know you can cut and re-glue foam... not that you need too if you simply plan where you are putting everything.

Bookwrak
12-04-2008, 05:17
See, my hive tyrant has wings. Each wing is bigger than the tyrant himself. I was thinking about buying a toolbox, possibly getting some adhesive magnets, then gluing washers to the bottom of my model's bases. What do you guys think about that?

That's the beauty of Sabol. The foam is perforated, so you cut the slots to fit whatever model you're putting in there. I ended up needing to use the 4 inch deep tray to fit my winged tyrant and fexes, but the only damage they've suffered from travel is my tyrant losing his wings after the army got flown home as checked luggage (and I'd done a crap job of pinning them anyways).

recceboy
12-04-2008, 05:51
I move the gang in Pelican cases, the foam inside can be custom created by pulling out the sections to fit the mini, and then glue the foam onto the underside to hold it. I have two of these ,and they come with handles and wheels.

Angelwing
12-04-2008, 15:49
I use a mix of gw cases, tool boxes and card boxes.
A tip for gaunts in gw cases is to cut out the foam dividers from one row to create one long space. The models stand up normally base to base. being plastic they don't chip and stop each other rattling around.

Gromm Hellscream
12-04-2008, 21:25
I carry my nids in a plastic snack baggy for safe keeping and fresh taste with an airthight ziplock!

dark blade
13-04-2008, 21:11
Take one metal tool box (the barn door style ones with the extra large tray in the bottom)

then i fill my bases with tile adhesave and stick a disk of magnetic tape on the bottom, then i am able to carry them round without being all that carefull and they dont move inside it so i am good to go.!

FashaTheDog
14-04-2008, 14:07
Most of my 'Nids travel in Sabol foam trays in an RCA camcorder case from the early 80s. The trays fit very nicely and with a sheet of foam, which I believe my cats stole, lining the top, nearly everything travels very safe and snug, including a rather spiky and frustratingly delicate thronback 'Fex (I swear, look at him cross-eyes and he breaks). The one exception to this is my trygon. But Forgeworld designed those gorgeous models to perfectly fit in my solution. (http://warseer.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2076&ppuser=17543) I will need a new case soon as my 'Nids are going to overflow soon, but that is an easy solution as those massive old camcorders with plastic case are cheap and fairly easy to find and garage sales. As far as hormagaunts are concerned, I have cannot really comment as nearly all of mine are all metal and can take one heck of a beating with the worst case being bent limbs or an arm falling cleanly off.

Souleater
14-04-2008, 14:57
Bigger stuff goes in a platic tool case. Models are wrapped in tissue paper and have foam strips pushed between them.

My plastic models have had two coats of car lacquer before their matt coat so can stand a little roughness.

I can get about 20-30 painted gaunts in a small icecream tub. Ten to a layer with tissue or bubble wrap seperating them.

I have to confess I'm not too careful packing the plastic Nids.

Fist of Crimson
14-04-2008, 16:57
My wife bought a aluminium briefcase type thing from a DIY store (meant for a tools of some kind or other) and stripped out the inside. She then glued a sheet of steel (from same DIY store) to the inside of the lid. Smaller models have earth magnets in their bases and are stuck to this.

The rest of the case is filled with cheap foam from a fabric store and she cuts out the correct shaped holes for the larger models (gargoyles, fex's, warriors etc)

Works well, was done for under $40 (cheaper than GW case) and took about 2 hours to make.