PDA

View Full Version : Necromunda and tau tech

TheBigBadWolf
11-04-2008, 18:45
Following on from my thread in the Necromunda forum, where i was asking if anyone used a tau crisis battlesuit to represent a spyre, probably using the Yeld rules (flyer, laser gauntlets), its basically a straight forward count-as, obviously in urban paint, adorned with human artifacts and writing on it (i like the idea of some hazard symbols in low gothic). I personally love the idea that the Tau would sell or give away their tech as a gift to the High borns of the hive to use, while secretly using the data to monitor how well the suits perform in the closely packed Imperial buildings and urban combat.

I could see the Tau modding the suits for the high borns to output in Low or high gothic and making the life support systems compatable, the data the could collect would be worthwile and also to gain friends in high places should they ever try and attack the hive.

What does anyone else think

dr.oetk3r
11-04-2008, 18:47
Sounds pretty awesome if you ask me. I really like the "Big Brother" aspect of it.

ChaosBeast
11-04-2008, 19:20
sounds nice and tauish to me:
" we dont want to lose fire warriors seeing if our equipment works, will get the imperium to do it for us" :p

kikkoman
11-04-2008, 19:20
You'd go from a tight fitting body suit to something you curl up and sit inside though.

Even if fluff supports it, they're visually very different.

maybe a Stealth Suit would be more appropriate.

Moostikal The Confused
11-04-2008, 19:28
I'd say the spyrers would go for the stealth suits rather than the crisis. they wanna walk about the place not sit down. Still, really good idea here.

TheBigBadWolf
11-04-2008, 19:34
I'd say the spyrers would go for the stealth suits rather than the crisis. they wanna walk about the place not sit down. Still, really good idea here.

I did think about the Tau giving them stealth suits, but i thought that, stealth tech would be to valuable to give to Imperials, and that the normal suit would suffice. Although they would be able to gather more data if their operatives were running round invisible.

Brother Siccarius
11-04-2008, 20:21
There's direct reference in the first Tau Codex to the Necromunda Spire hunter "Off-world rigs" being from the Tau. Leading the mechanicus techie writing about it to suggest purging them. (Obviously it hasn't happened yet)

TheBigBadWolf
11-04-2008, 20:58
There's direct reference in the first Tau Codex to the Necromunda Spire hunter "Off-world rigs" being from the Tau. Leading the mechanicus techie writing about it to suggest purging them. (Obviously it hasn't happened yet)

yeh thats where i got some of the ideas from

Idaan
11-04-2008, 21:07
So how did the Tau get all the way from the Eastern Fringe to Segmentum Solar where Necromunda lies? It can be explained by Rogue Trader involvement, but either way it's a bit of a shoehorn for me.

Bregalad
11-04-2008, 22:07
The Tau Empire is at war or at best a seize-fire with the human Imperium. Giving your enemy your best high tech equipment as a present to test it for you, sounds ... weird.

If Tau technology really made its way to Necromunda, then only via Rogue traders and not with consent of the Tau.

Brother Siccarius
11-04-2008, 22:18
Well, there was a passage in the original Tau book about some Rogue traders working for them as well. At least one report from a Rogue Trader was in there mentioning that he'd actually talked to a Water Caste member on social terms(Was in the information on Farsight)

TheBigBadWolf
11-04-2008, 22:36
Yeh the whole idea is from the few snippets in the old tau codex, i take it there is nothing in the new one, i havent got round to getting it.

I would think that the rigs came from a rouge trader, maybe on instructions from the tau they were to be delivered to someone on Necromunda.

Lord of ???
12-04-2008, 01:03
Well the names for the different spyrer options do have a fairly direct relation in their names to Tau phrases.

Its been a fairly common idea for a while now that those were Prototypes developed by the Tau and were used in this way to have combat testing without the loss of any of their own people.

Damage,Inc.
12-04-2008, 08:28
No, I can totally see this happening. The Tau would give away technology that might not suit them as well- these suits are designed for up close and personal work, and Tau are a ranged race. The suits, while technologically advanced, do not contain all their secrets and are probably made especially with the customer in mind- AKA Humans. This is like when America sell advanced machines to other nations, and strips out all the special electronics inside before shipping. Also, the Tau arrogance of the low tech levels of the Imperium may make them see safe from backward engineering.

The motivation to do so would be to record data on combat in the urban sprawls of hiveworlds, and to better understand how Humans fight and think about fighting. The Tau mindset is very different and being able to view Humans hunting first hand would be very useful to them. Also, Tau cities are very different and the data collected by someone that lives in the city is going to be a lot more useful than third party evalutiton.

kikkoman
18-04-2008, 15:31
Howabout the reverse, Spyrer suits and battlesuits have a common origin, Dark Age human technology

Tau race was hyperengineered by mysterious remnants of Dark Age humans

:0

!!