PDA

View Full Version : no 40k movie, but...

PondaNagura
11-04-2008, 20:04
i'd like to see the Bloodquest animation redone. but rather than a full-length movie or anything "just for tv", i could see this as a webseries.

thus each episode could be done in installments. GW wouldn't have to worry about movie money returns, just maybe release a hi-res DVD and collector merchandise. wouldn't have to worry about advertising since it's the internet, and word travels all around the world without having to contact many persons/ad agencies.

plus the animation could either be done in the CGI they intended, with some minor updates (what with better resolutions/graphic engines); or maybe even in high res flash animation (like bitey's castle), or even traditional animation, with a style similar to that of the actual comic.

i'm sure they still have the older script about somewhere, minor tweaks/updates.

granted not every race would be covered, but give it time and there could be other series developed.

bassmasterliam
11-04-2008, 20:11
I think your living in a dream world.

Keadaen
11-04-2008, 21:17
I must concur, as much as it would rock to see it come back to life I doubt we will see a 40k movie until it becomes more of a household name and even then I doubt I would want to see what would happen to it.

PondaNagura
11-04-2008, 21:38
well the advantage of the net is that the only censoring would probably be access to the videos themselves. so you wouldn't need the censoring of head explosions, or referring to death with cheesy 1990's cartoon puns, or replace the word "kill" with "destroy", and then every elite soldier shoots at each other without having anyone actually hit.

the storyline already exists, and the fanbase definitely exists as is...otherwise GW would have collapsed as a company years ago (though they arent doing so well these days, but lets not go into that).

and i'm not talking full length movie as much as (bi)monthly updated series..maybe 10 mins shorts, or varying on how the storyline plays out (the comic itself was written as installments in warhammer monthly, so scene change is already established)

this is just my input on the matter, before another of the monthly "wouldn't it be cool if.." posts, that so frequently popup on these boards.

Richter Kless
11-04-2008, 22:34
A 40K movie just isn't possible. Not for the technological difficulties, but because of the franchise itself.

Right now I want you to look at 40K, and when I mean 'look' I mean looking really good. Than you suddenly realise you are looking at a ridicilous giant in ridicilous looking armour, fighting space Orks, Daemons and Elfs.

All of this looks really good in the books and on the tabletop, but when it is portrayed in real life, it suddenly doesn't look so cool anymore.
This is done by the cheesy lines everyone throws around (The Emeperor protects, blood for the Blood God, etc), the redicilous design of everything (skulls everywhere, spikes everywhere), and the, most of the time, really poorly written plots and stories.

I just don't think 40K will ever appeal to a major audience.

zealot!
11-04-2008, 23:43
Richer, you don't even like 40k so what are you doing on here?

Richter Kless
12-04-2008, 00:09
Richer, you don't even like 40k so what are you doing on here?

I do like 40K, I absolutely love it. But it's just not a setting that can be translated to a movie and done justice.

How is the audience going to relate to the nazistic Inquisitor, the uncaring Commissar, or the ignorant Guardsmen?

A lot of people seem to think that 40K is the greatest source for movies of all time, but it's all so over the top and silly, that you can't make a movie without it parodying itself.

If a movie where made, it would probably be nothing like true 40K.
The main characters would act completely out of character. (Gaunt and Eisenhorn for reference)
The 'Good' guys would probably be fighting for the ideals of freedom and justice.
You would get all kinds of lame comedy and comic relief.
It would cause enough nerd rage to create a new warp god.

Logarithm Udgaur
12-04-2008, 00:16

Best. Reason. Ever!

ewar
12-04-2008, 00:54

Absolutely love it and so very, very true...

As for a 40k movie, it could never be done in live action. I would, however, like to see it done like a good Manga - no need to expain everything, just keep it cryptic, dark and dystopian. Oh, and with giant blokes in space boots shouting cheesy lines and shooting spiky aliens. Job done.

zealot!
12-04-2008, 00:56
If a movie where made, it would probably be nothing like true 40K.

Unless, like, it was.

Keadaen
12-04-2008, 05:05
like...what?

catbarf
12-04-2008, 05:21
GW wouldn't have to worry about movie money returns

What you really mean is, they'd have to worry about getting money since nobody's going to work for free, yet they can't sell it since it's a web-movie.

Snowball's chance in Hell seems most apt.

Hive Mind 33
12-04-2008, 05:33
(The Emeperor protects, blood for the Blood God, etc), the redicilous design of everything (skulls everywhere, spikes everywhere), and the, most of the time, really poorly written plots and stories.

I just don't think 40K will ever appeal to a major audience.

EMO kids would eat it up. Then like old school nintendo they would start to think it is emo. Do we as Nerds and Geeks really want that?

Thats epic

PondaNagura
12-04-2008, 05:49
What you really mean is, they'd have to worry about getting money since nobody's going to work for free, yet they can't sell it since it's a web-movie.

red vs blue

how did you know my true intentions. bah, foiled again!

Logarithm Udgaur
12-04-2008, 10:18
So do we have a name for this new god? I think I might dedicate my next Chaos army to it.

PFC Hudson
12-04-2008, 11:49
So do we have a name fro this new god? I think I might dedicate my next Chaos army to it.

Nerdle? Geekron?

PFC Hudson
12-04-2008, 11:51
So do we have a name fro this new god? I think I might dedicate my next Chaos army to it.

Nerdle? Geekron? Should we start a poll?

bassmasterliam
12-04-2008, 18:21
This new god shall be called flersh, the mightiest of all rotting goat corpses.

zealot!
12-04-2008, 18:37
ok.

unsubscribed :D