PDA

View Full Version : Just some VC questions.

AngryAngel
11-04-2008, 21:48
Hey all, I'm just making sure of something. Which would be a better screen unit for the blood knights. Dire wolves or Fell bats ? Why ? As well would either do in a pinch for the other ? I ask because I'm getting some fell bats pretty cheap off a friend and am wondering if some dire wolves would be a good add on eventually. I do like the idea of zombie wolves.

As well in special would Spirit hosts be a good addition ? Do you think they could do enough with the etheral rule and if so how many would be the optomal size for the squad ?

Now last one for specials, mostly I've been liking the idea of grave guard and black knights. Should I run multiple squads of either ? Whats their good size. I was thinking of around 20 for the grave guard and something like 7 or 8 for the black knights.

For rare I really like the feeling of a black coach. However I got the blood knights nice and cheap off a friend so what would be a good second rare unit to use with them ?

I want to get some Cairn wraiths perhaps with a banshee, and a black coach as other rare choices. Should I keep the Varghulf in mind as well ?

I'm seeking some experience here a no bs assessment of my options what do you, esteemed vampires of the net have to say.

Lordmonkey
12-04-2008, 02:25
Hey all, I'm just making sure of something. Which would be a better screen unit for the blood knights. Dire wolves or Fell bats ? Why ? As well would either do in a pinch for the other ? I ask because I'm getting some fell bats pretty cheap off a friend and am wondering if some dire wolves would be a good add on eventually. I do like the idea of zombie wolves.

Well, for 80 pts you can have either 4 Fell bats or 10 Dire Wolves. I would choose the Fell Bats. Some advantages over Dire Wolves:

Flying. While both can keep up with cavalry, flying units are skirmishers. This means that enemy shooting is at -1 to hit them, making them last a lot longer. Also, fielded on large bases, 4 bats will achieve a maximum spread of 310mm (including 2" cohesion) whereas 10 wolves will only manage 250mm. Finally, since the bats are skirmishers, you can 'bend' your screen to cover your troops from several angles.

The thing about the bats is they occupy a special choice, whereas the wolves do not. In my experience, it pays to have a unit of bats in every army to deal with enemy war machines, as screens for your missile troops, or even just to deny the enemy from marching!

As well in special would Spirit hosts be a good addition ? Do you think they could do enough with the etheral rule and if so how many would be the optomal size for the squad ?

At 65 pts each I would take two or three in a unit. if you want to use them as a missile screen, you obviously need enough to cover the width of the unit you wish to protect. With a move of 6" they make excellent flankers, or alternatively they can 'tarpit' smaller enemy units that have no static combat resolution, such as most skirmishers (not dryads!), for the entire game!

Now last one for specials, mostly I've been liking the idea of grave guard and black knights. Should I run multiple squads of either ? Whats their good size. I was thinking of around 20 for the grave guard and something like 7 or 8 for the black knights.

20 is a good size for Grave Guard. Since they can now be ressurected at a rate of d6 per cast of IoN, as well as the fact that they have lots of armour, you dont have to worry too much about them getting shot if you have a good wizard nearby. It's suprisingly easy to have them all whittled down to 7 or 8 models, only to revive the entire regiment just in time for a round of close combat with a rather bewildered enemy!

For rare I really like the feeling of a black coach. However I got the blood knights nice and cheap off a friend so what would be a good second rare unit to use with them ?

I want to get some Cairn wraiths perhaps with a banshee, and a black coach as other rare choices. Should I keep the Varghulf in mind as well ?

The thing about the coach is that, being a chariot, it can be taken out with one str 7 hit. Also, it 'eats' power dice, so you need to be careful where you position it in your force - this can be strategically limiting at times. For 200pts, it can be a headache. On the other hand, its very, very deadly and once it becomes ethereal, extremely difficult to destroy. The Varghulf is a good alternative choice. It's extremely fast, slightly cheaper and also causes Terror. The Cairn wraiths are a good way to provide a missile screen for your infantry units, and the banshee can win you games if used correctly :) With regards to the Blood Knights, using some bats as a frenzy control screen is an excellent trick devised by some cunning genius somewhere on these forums - try it! :)

Hope this helps! :)

AngryAngel
12-04-2008, 05:19
Thank you very much for your insight on the matter. I appreciate the feedback. I'm looking forward to the Fell bats now. Think I'll take a pass with the spirit hosts as I'll let the cairn wraiths do their job. I'll keep kicking around the idea of the black coach.

If anyone else would care to post give their 2 cents I'll be more then happy to read and take it into consideration. As I'll be putting an order in for some of this tommorrow.