PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives for SH

Captin Korea!
12-04-2008, 00:36
Does anyone know good alternatives for the ugly spirit host? I personally find the model silly with dance ghost and what not.

Ben
12-04-2008, 00:45
Use plastic models for any other army (or a mixture) painted in a ghostly fashion, either through successive light grey drybrushes, or in the same way the LotR army of the dead are done.

SuperBeast
12-04-2008, 10:43
With the new style of skellies, I think Marauders would work extremely well.

Pacific
12-04-2008, 11:03
I have used a mix of the old metal empire flagellants, new plastic ones, and britonnian battle pilgrims (fitting 3 to each base).

In terms of painting, I have tried 2 different methods. The first was to use a dark green base, building up with several layers and green ink washes and ending with a skull white/snot green mix so that the ghosts seemed almost luminescent (as has been mentioned, these look remarkably similar to the ghosts featured in LoTR)

However, I found this to be far too bright compared to the rest of my army (which is far more dull). My second method was to again built up colour by drybrushing gradually brighter colours, but instead using black/codex grey mix, with an extreme highlight/drybrush of 2:1 (white/grey).

I think though that using any of the above will be an improvement over the standard, 'white-bed-sheet-saying-wooooooo' model :)

Lordsaradain
12-04-2008, 12:33
Empire flagellants, remove the feet and place the abit off the ground so they look like they are floating. paint them etheral and ghostly.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k242/curseofbeers/Vampire%20Counts%20Mar%2008/IMG_0368.jpg

SuperBeast
12-04-2008, 14:03
Empire flagellants, remove the feet and place the abit off the ground so they look like they are floating. paint them etheral and ghostly.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k242/curseofbeers/Vampire%20Counts%20Mar%2008/IMG_0368.jpg

Much as I hate using the phrase in anything other than an ironic sense, that picture deserves only one response...

ZOMG!!!!

Scythe
12-04-2008, 14:17
Back in previous edition, when wraiths were a nerfed hero choice, I made my spirit hosts consisting only of them, as I liked the models, but wouldn't be using them as heros ever. With the new book, I am concidering buying a single box of the new skeletons, and use them instead, with an 'etheral' paintjob.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
12-04-2008, 14:35
Essentially, all you need is a Monster base, and various models to bung on it.

Urgat
12-04-2008, 14:37
Much as I hate using the phrase in anything other than an ironic sense, that picture deserves only one response...

ZOMG!!!!

Yeah, the whole army was for sale a month or so ago on ebay (I saved all the pictures on my computer, I intend on shamelessly steal almost everything for my own VC army :p). It went at... dunno, a lot, more than a thousand pounds.
I just wondered about one thing: these spirit hosts, along with the wraiths and banshee, used that cotton thing to make mist. It's not new or anything, but it does look wonderful. Well, what I wondered, which has absolutly nothing to do with the previous rambling, was: how they heck did the guy pack that up for shipping w/o ruining the cotton?

_Lucian_
12-04-2008, 15:02
i use nght goblins with zombie arms and the faces cut out of a few to make them looks like robes.... Looks very effective with a pale blue/white glossed finish.

vinush
12-04-2008, 19:52
I use a combination of plastics for my spirit hosts.

Each time I kill a new species' general, a new spirit joins the host. So for example, I killed the Beastman general in a game a while ago, and I added a plastic beastman to the spirit host base in progress at the minute, which made the second model on the base. The first was a Dwarf Thane, and I think the last one will be a Bretonnian Paladin... (Fingers Crossed)

\/ince.

Rubicon
12-04-2008, 20:18
One of my regular opponents has an all female vampire army where the spirit host were witch elves. Suffice to say that said spirit host charged my Witch elves and ate them. All of them.

Thus another base was added to the host, the souls of my dearly departed (and now consigned to my reserve case for being rubbish) Witch Elves

Gralph!?!
12-04-2008, 23:35
i would like to see a unit made from the lord of the rings shade model which does make a really nice spirit host.
if not then the flaggelants are great for it (notecing because of the above picture) and really anything with robes can be made into a spirit host.

Overt_Spy
13-04-2008, 02:39
i would like to see a unit made from the lord of the rings shade model which does make a really nice spirit host.
if not then the flaggelants are great for it (notecing because of the above picture) and really anything with robes can be made into a spirit host.

Yeah, the lotr shade looks great, but is there only that one pose?

isidril93
13-04-2008, 08:54
flaggelants look cool but i suppose that you could use any model...but they wirk best with model that have a lot of cloth

Xavier
25-04-2008, 23:24
Yeah, the whole army was for sale a month or so ago on ebay (I saved all the pictures on my computer, I intend on shamelessly steal almost everything for my own VC army :p). It went at... dunno, a lot, more than a thousand pounds.
I just wondered about one thing: these spirit hosts, along with the wraiths and banshee, used that cotton thing to make mist. It's not new or anything, but it does look wonderful. Well, what I wondered, which has absolutly nothing to do with the previous rambling, was: how they heck did the guy pack that up for shipping w/o ruining the cotton?

It was wrapped in cling film, and required delicate unwrapping, but it did mostly survive the transit, and though the cotton wool is obviously very delicate it is durable enough to transport in a case.

But as has been said, this is one of the ways you can represent spirit hosts. Another way is any random infantry regiment painted up like, army of the dead really, looks quite nice, far better than then GW models for the hosts.

javaguru
25-04-2008, 23:28
I have a regular gaming group. I used models from my opponents favorite armies to make my hosts; It's a nice taunt.

Ipeninrod
26-04-2008, 03:16
I used Lotr Ringwraiths. A mixture of the black robed ones and the as they appear with the ring on.

soulcrusher
26-04-2008, 09:28
lotr shades look nice and why not just convert your spirit host with green stuff and maybe add a sword / broken spear from the skele kit

Lewis
26-04-2008, 09:39
I'm planning to upgrade my awful standard models to Wardancers at some point (with the grey-white paint job) the movement in the models will give a nice floaty ethereal feel.