PDA

View Full Version : Elysians' or Death Korps?

BishopBlack
12-04-2008, 01:00
I have a dilemma :(
I seems that the Death Korps are extremely popular,
or is it just me?
I was wondering whether the Elysian Droop Troops might be a more individual choice and a better one?
I like both regiments but need the wise of Warseer to help! :confused:
Please give reasons THANKS.

Chem-Dog
12-04-2008, 01:33
Having just had a quick look at your DK project log I'd say go with them they look great.

I have to admit that I think the DK look brilliant and when painted well (like yours are ;)) they look truly astounding.

Romanus
12-04-2008, 01:44
Go with the Death Korps mate, they have alot more character then the Elysians do. Once you finish these puppies might be an idea to do a small force of Elysians to support them, thats what I'm doing anyway :)

Cheers, Rom

Vaktathi
12-04-2008, 01:50
Death Korps, I prefer their look and fluff :D

shade_1313
12-04-2008, 02:06
this was a little tricky to answer, as i opted for "get em both!" myself, as well as chaos renegades. but if i had to choose just one, i'd go death korps for looks.

galahad67
12-04-2008, 02:30
my choice was death Korps

1 hq
2 junior officer squads
4 squads
1 grenadier
2 gren transports
3 thudd guns
crews
2 commisars
Quartermaster squad

whee

now that winters over I can wash, assemble and spray them with primer!

Lord Cook
12-04-2008, 02:56
It's like choosing between redheads and brunettes. I just can't. They are both gorgeous in different ways. For a small army (say... 1.5k) I'd probably go Elysians, but for a huge sprawling collection, Krieg has far more options.

corncob77
12-04-2008, 02:59
death korps all the way if I had money I'd totally play them

Slaaneshi Slave
12-04-2008, 04:24
Both!

I have a nice mixed Guard army with a 120ish strong Cadian gunline, supported by 70 Krieg Grenadiers, which is soon to be supported by 5 Elysian units in Valkyries. What then? One of the new Reavers to support my existing one, and maybe a flight of Lightnings. Guard are awesome. :p

Darkane
12-04-2008, 04:32
Gaurd are indeed awesome.

I'd personally say go for the Death Korps of course as I collect them myself. Plus the stuff you've already got looks incredible. I wouldn't think that you should let the fact that they are popular dissaude you from collecting them. Although if both are an option, I would also say you should eventually go for both if you like them.

starlight
12-04-2008, 04:41
Cadians, then Elysians. :)

:p

Death Korps are nice, but not my style...

shade_1313
12-04-2008, 04:53
as far as the popularity of the death korps as an army goes, does anyone else in your local game group, or the store you play at or whatever, have any? the point is that they are very popular FOR A FORGEWORLD ARMY. they simply cost too much for all but us real loons to buy, and so you're not likely to be lost in the crowd... and when you do come across someone else with a DKoK army, i'd guess there'd be that unspoken recognition of a fellow nutter... er... i mean dedicated FW buyer. ;)

AllisterCaine
12-04-2008, 09:58
The elysian fluff is very nice and I think their equipment looks awesome, very mobile and compact; fits into the drop troops scheme. However I do think the Dkok models look much more badass.

Evil_Toast
12-04-2008, 10:06
I'm going go right ahead and cast my vote for the Cyber Germans . They look absolutely brilliant , and the Rough Rider horses with the gas masks are by far the best models in the range IMHO .

(Hopefully next week at Salute I will be able to make my first purchase . At least this way I have months to paint them while I wait for FW to post the rest :eyebrows: ... )

SonofUltramar
12-04-2008, 10:16
I'd say go for Death Korps as your models so far are amazing and an army painted to that standard would be awesome to play with and against.

Elysians are a trickier army to use and as you Sig says Painter not Gamer you'd probably find the greater variety of DkoK more fun to paint and easier to use.

On the whole I personally prefer Elysians as I like their look and love the background more than DKoK but it is very close. Frankly i'd do both if I could afford it but thats me not you?

Hope that helps:)

edit: just so you know I didn't vote as I think you should do what you want and there is no option "because you have some"

Chaos and Evil
12-04-2008, 10:56
I prefer Elysians, for obvious reasons.

Koryphaus
12-04-2008, 11:09
It's like choosing between redheads and brunettes. I just can't. They are both gorgeous in different ways.

Nice.. ;)Actually a really good comparison really, because you're really going to love either one or the other, and they're both going to cost you heaps of money:evilgrin:. But of course its always worth it.:p

I've played a FW DKoK army, and love how the models look, but having read Dark Apostle, I'd have to go with the Elysians. There's something so awesome about plummeting to earth with only a small grav chute to break your fall...:eek:

BishopBlack
12-04-2008, 18:44
Thanks for all of your input people!
It's closer than I actually thought it would be so far.

Keep the votes coming!

starlight
12-04-2008, 19:00
Nice.. Actually a really good comparison really, because you're really going to love either one or the other, and they're both going to cost you heaps of money. But of course its always worth it.

I've played a FW DKoK army, and love how the models look, but having read Dark Apostle, I'd have to go with the Elysians. There's something so awesome about plummeting to earth with only a small grav chute to break your fall...

Although, in my experience, redheads and brunettes are *way* cheaper than blondes. :( I'm sticking with my redheads. ;)

Now *that's* why I like Elysians. Very Gurkha in their *get it done* attitude.

In an early engagement a unit of Gurkhas was to be dropped into a position by aircraft. When hearing that the drop was to take place from 300ft, the Gurkha officer asked if it could be done from a lower altitude. The shocked British officers tried to explain that the parachutes wouldn't have time to open below 300ft. The Gurkha officer enquired, "Parachutes?"

:eek:

*That's* what I think of when I think of Elysians. :D

BishopBlack
13-04-2008, 15:03
Aren't Elysians' meant to be an elite force?
Therefore small and less expensive.
Dose anyone have pictures of theme painted with respirator heads?

Lord Cook
13-04-2008, 15:41
Aren't Elysians' meant to be an elite force?
Therefore small and less expensive.

An elite force, relative to other Imperial Guard. However at the end of the day they are still guardsmen. You will need quite a few, to say the least.

SonofUltramar
13-04-2008, 15:48
An elite force, relative to other Imperial Guard. However at the end of the day they are still guardsmen. You will need quite a few, to say the least.

Not if you put some of them in Valkyries then support them with Thunderbolts and Vultures. I'm pretty sure if you were to do that you could get the model count down to under 60 in 1500pts?

That said it will stil lcost a fortune money-wise either way?

Axel
13-04-2008, 15:51
if using the IA lists, Elysians are imho more effective and variable then DKoK. DKoK is about using artillery.

Personally I have a DKoK force, since I like the flavour of WWI that hangs about them, the doom of Verdun and the Somme.

Spacker
13-04-2008, 19:00

Also depends on which list you use - the IA3 Elysians are similar in structure to a Codex IG army, but the D-99 list in IA4 is made up of veteran squads rather than platoons.

Me, I prefer the DK - the only parts of the Elysians I like are the lasguns (which I use on my Cadian conversions).

BishopBlack
14-04-2008, 21:24
If I were to do Elysians' it would be the D-99 list as they seem cooler and the stat lines they have are cool!
Are the D-99 company only effective against Tyranids?
Keep up the votes (:

catbarf
14-04-2008, 23:56
I'm considering stocking both for my Forge World E-store, and this thread is going a good way towards convincing me which to weigh more towards. Thanks everyone!

I recommend whichever you like the look of. Don't go by rules- Forge World models are all about the looks, and you can just use whichever rules you prefer.

Scorpion
14-04-2008, 23:57
Elysians.

Why? Because everyone and their mother has Death Korps. They've become so cliché it's not even funny anymore.

One other reason why they've become so cliché is that they reinforce the "this is a very dark and gritty future where only dark and gritty people live and we have very dark and gritty equipment and we will die for the Emperor VERY DARKLY AND GRITTILLY!!!" mindset. The Elysians, on the other hand, allude to a side of the Guard that isn't very often touched, neither in the Fluff or in the tabletop: the well trained, well equiped Guard that doesn't throw it's men to the enemy lines like grenades nearing the expiration date!

jobi
15-04-2008, 00:18
That's a hard question.

I think the DKoK look cooler but everyone that can afford them is running them. I would do a true Elysians drop list just to be different. (they look cool too, but I think DKoK are badass.)

TheOneWithNoName
15-04-2008, 01:11
One other reason why they've become so cliché is that they reinforce the "this is a very dark and gritty future where only dark and gritty people live and we have very dark and gritty equipment and we will die for the Emperor VERY DARKLY AND GRITTILLY!!!" mindset.

Very true. Elysians have that look of real soldiers not found in most of the other lines and not burdened with skulls and Aquilas, which is why I love them.

burning crome
15-04-2008, 02:17
I'd go with elysian purely because a fast moving strike force dropping from the sky seem more 40K to me than so want-to-be russians with masks?? Any way it your army plus it dose'nt have to be a stright DKoK or elysian list you could go for a bit of a hammer and anvil approch

EmMeTt
15-04-2008, 12:21
I do both the Death Korp and the Elysians!

Its a wonderful life...

The Highlander
15-04-2008, 12:31
It's like choosing between redheads and brunettes. I just can't.

Good taste (but I prefer redheads).

Arch-Traitor Horus
15-04-2008, 12:37
As your sig says your a Painter not a Gamer go with what ever you want to paint
But i prefer the elysians to answer your queston

BishopBlack
15-04-2008, 12:56
@ Scorpion: It's funny really,
one of the reasons for this poll was because I thought everybody was doing a Death Korps army.
But as it turns out so far in the poll @ 87 votes the Elysians' have 45.98 and the Death Korps have 54.02! Which as you can see means that Elysians' are just as popular as the Death Korps.
Who'd of thought it? lol

catbarf
15-04-2008, 16:06
@ Scorpion: It's funny really,
one of the reasons for this poll was because I thought everybody was doing a Death Korps army.
But as it turns out so far in the poll @ 87 votes the Elysians' have 45.98 and the Death Korps have 54.02! Which as you can see means that Elysians' are just as popular as the Death Korps.
Who'd of thought it? lol

Not really. Death Korps people will vote for Elysians because there are so few of them.