PDA

View Full Version : Quick Chimera Question (regarding versions and purchasing)

Walls
12-04-2008, 01:15
So, here's the problem.

Can you buy more then 1 version of the Chimera? If so I may have screwed myself. I wanted an all Heavy Bolter (turrent AND hull) version but the one I have seems to have something else for the turret, which I am guessing is the multi laser.

Help me?

Chem-Dog
12-04-2008, 01:21
Multilaser is standard if you want heavy bolter you have to convert or buy from Forgeworld. Don't panic, you're not screwed ;)

++++Edit. Link to Forgeworld HB turret > http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/chimbolt.htm
Note that the FW version is actually a Twin Linked Heavy Bolter but it's the closest you're gonna get without a conversion.

Epicenter
12-04-2008, 01:23
Welcome to the joys of converting, Walls! You good news is that you have the correct Chimera kit. The bad news is that you can't find the heavy bolter in a turret...because there isn't one.

Unlike Space Marines which you might be accustomed to having models for most combinations, we in the ghetto reaches of "other armydom" have options that GW doesn't give us stuff for. Certainly Space Marines have a few of them, and Imperial Guard are a lot better off than some other armies, but we options that we have to make ourselves.

If you want to WYSIWYG a turret bolter Chimera, you'll need to kitbash one yourself. Personally I didn't want to bother so I just went and purchased Forge World's twin-linked bolter turret and say it "counts-as" a single bolter in games where Forge World rules are not allowed.

starlight
12-04-2008, 01:23
Convert. :)

You are correct on the Multilaser being the stock weapon.

Anyways, Autocannons are the way to go. :) If they don't like FW, it *counts as* a Heavy Bolter. :)

Walls
12-04-2008, 01:45
Thanks guys. I think I might kitbash using one from a Predator or something.

Chem-Dog
12-04-2008, 02:07
Thanks guys. I think I might kitbash using one from a Predator or something.

Have a look at this http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/imperialguard/painting/treadheads/p1/default.htm for some inspiration, doesn't have the turret gun you're after, but if you're gonna hybridise the Chimera and Predator, it's got some good ideas.

Lord Cook
12-04-2008, 03:02
Is this the wrong time to suggest that the multilaser is generally a better weapon than the heavy bolter?

starlight
12-04-2008, 03:10
For Strength, but not AP. Depends on what you're facing. :p

Walls
12-04-2008, 03:38
I was kinda thinking the same thing actually as far as HB vs Multi-Laser

This is going to be for a Combat Patrol at first, perhaps leading into something bigger (mech IG army if anything). Perhaps I should get more opinions on ML vs HB!

Lord Cook
12-04-2008, 03:39
For Strength, but not AP. Depends on what you're facing. :p

True, but I don't know about you, but much of my opposition is either wearing power armour, or standing in cover. Or is has that cursed KFF shielding it. And multilasers can tackle AV10 better than any other heavy weapon as well.

starlight
12-04-2008, 03:45
Best basic all around weapon *is* the Multiaser. :)

However, I prefer the Autocannon. :) Entirely based on my *army mind*. :)

Remoah
12-04-2008, 04:10
Yeah i prefer the Multilaser. I mean... most armies will be in cover anyhow and those that arent are probably wearing Carapace/Power/Battle armour and so have a better save anyhow.

Bloodknight
12-04-2008, 05:09
Dito. Although I also use one or two chimeras with autocannon turrets once in a while to shoot at dreadnoughts and rhinos.

The multilaser is better against infantry, but the autocannon makes for a better gun for a light tank because it can penetrate up to AV12 and has more range. Also, the FW turret looks good.
But in general, the Multilaser is a fine choice because it kills Meqs and light vehicles better than any other choice.
The HB is not so great, I wonder why they included the option (this does not count for the TL version from Forgeworld which increases the number of hits which might make it worthwhile).
On Sentinels I would however always opt for the autocannon because they IMO work best with a gun with more than one shot that can outrange heavy bolters.

Khornies & milk
12-04-2008, 06:26
If you can get hold of an Autocannon from a HWT it is dead easy to convert the Multi-laser. Also the Baneblade turret sponson and the Hull t/l HB turret are about the same size as the FW Chimera turrets, so just a bit of conversion of those and you'd be set as well.

Desert thunder
12-04-2008, 08:58
Yes it is easy to convert a Multilaser into a Autocannon because it's so skinny, I play with friends so I put a Las-cannon on.

Chem-Dog
12-04-2008, 12:28
I'm a Multilaser fan personally, when you're up against a large number of 3+save armies (as I am most of the time) it's the best all rounder, none of the options open to you negate armour and most of the time S6 is sufficient to be wounding on 2+. The extra shot a ML gives can make a big difference it's handy for popping light vehicles too, leaving your lascannons, Krak Missiles and Battlecannons to concentrate on the hard stuff.

High on my wishlist for new IG releases would be a retooled Chimera and Russ, the models are fine (except for the naff 2nd edition lasguns on the Chimera) but a few more options would be great. a Plasitc Demolisher would be pretty fine too.