PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Siege

Dux Ducis
12-04-2008, 09:25
Is it me, or has warhammer siege declined in popularity?

You used to regularly see scenarios, gaming guides, etc. for siege games in WD and the BRB.

In fact, 6th edition BRB had a very large appendix dedicated to Warhammer siege with wargear, rules, etc. and warhammer skirmish. This really lended another dimention to the game.

The general lack of scenarios in the 7th ed. BRB compared to the last is poor as well.

What do you guys think?

Peegore
12-04-2008, 09:44
We ( my gaming group ) found the seige rules to be a little tedious to play to be quite honest. I think we played a couple of games early in 6th edition then never bothered again.

As for scenarios, we enjoyed scenarios in 6th ed. The lack of them in 7th edition prompted me to make objective cards. These allow players to bring a standard army ( i.e. 1000pts vs 2000pts faffiness ), draw an objective card each and start playing! They so far have proved very popular, and make a real change from pitched battle with standard VP's.

The link to my BatRep site in my sig has the cards and rules to print off should anybody fancy having a go...

Fraggzy
12-04-2008, 09:46
well, i havent seen many senarios including a siege lately, but me and some friends have bought a castle for siege games and are using it regulary. its fun not only playing the same.

Urgat
12-04-2008, 09:53
We ( my gaming group ) found the seige rules to be a little tedious to play to be quite honest. I think we played a couple of games early in 6th edition then never bothered again.

As for scenarios, we enjoyed scenarios in 6th ed. The lack of them in 7th edition prompted me to make objective cards. These allow players to bring a standard army ( i.e. 1000pts vs 2000pts faffiness ), draw an objective card each and start playing! They so far have proved very popular, and make a real change from pitched battle with standard VP's.

The link to my BatRep site in my sig has the cards and rules to print off should anybody fancy having a go...

Oh, I'm so checking that, thank you. Just a question, though: through your battles, have you noticed any balance issues?
edit: lol, what did you want to translate by "Quel jeu sortant de warhammer c'était"? :)

Peegore
12-04-2008, 10:59
@Urgat - The objectives so far have proved very balanced. The instructions I give may need a little re-write for the sake of clarity. Put it this way, my group are really enjoying them.

Oh, and as for the "Quel jeu sortant de warhammer c'était"?, I thought I'd rely on Babel Fish vs my own pidgeon French. I think it was something like " What an interesting warhammer game" or words to that effect. But upon posting the image, then out of curiosity re-translating back through Babel Fish, it was ruddy gibberish! I should have trusted my own limited knowledge of French instead. How does it translate to someone in the know ( i.e. you? ). Purely out of interest.... I get "Which outgoing play of warhammer it was":wtf:

I apologise sincerely for the abuse of the French language btw!

Urgat
12-04-2008, 12:06
"What an interesting warhammer game"? Mmh...:
"quelle partie de warhammer passionnante!". Not exactly litteral (passionante is stronger than interesting), but that's how I'd say it. Lol, no need to apologize, I abuse english language everyday :D

I've read your objectives, it sounds very nice, but I can see ways of abusing some objectives, by swarming them with wolves on the first turn for exemple... some people (like me) can field a lot of very fast units.

Dux Ducis
12-04-2008, 12:44
I do agree it can become monotonous, however with the right wargear (towers and burning oil.... mmmmm) and no obivous typecasting of armies (no dwarfs defending, Skaven attacking, etc.) it can be pretty fun. At least it makes a break from pitched battles.

Peegore
12-04-2008, 13:07
@Urgat - I shall replace my poor french with your excellent version! Many thanks! BTW, you lot are really lucky to have her (Melissa Theuriau) as a news presenter. I'm jealous:cries:

Regarding objectives, they are considered 'contested' until the game is finished. So a unit of Direwolves would indeed get to an objective very quickly. But could it HOLD the objective until the end of turn 6? At the end of the game, if BOTH sides are within 6" of the objective, therefore both contesting it, it is considered not won by either side, unless one side has a unit strength of greater than 50% of the other.

I really will try and clarify how it works on the website...

Back on topic, although we don't use Seige rules anymore, we are finding the 7th ed 'combat in buildings' rules more than sufficient for use in battles where a nice defensible cluster of houses or a small fortified area is used. The rules have been streamlined very well.

Urgat
12-04-2008, 14:45
Regarding objectives, they are considered 'contested' until the game is finished. So a unit of Direwolves would indeed get to an objective very quickly. But could it HOLD the objective until the end of turn 6? At the end of the game, if BOTH sides are within 6" of the objective, therefore both contesting it, it is considered not won by either

I thought I saw a couple objectives that just required to hold them for like a turn to win, sorry if I misunderstood.

On topic: well, I'm currently building a large castle (not for me though, for my chaos friend), because that siege will be the conclusion of our little narrative campaign. I'm a bit at loss though as to how to play said siege. The current opinion of myself alone (didn't talk about it with my friend) is that I will just use my old siege rulebook (the fifth edition one), and adapt during the game if problems arise. One reason would be that I don't feel like checking the 6th edition rules (probably not much different anyway), another would be that it makes me feel like it would finally serve a purpose (I bought that damn book, I want it to be useful at least once :p), and a last reason would be that I don't have much of a choice otherwise, do I?
We'll have to adapt some things though, for instance, we will both field lots of ogres, and ogres in sieges are not allowed to do anything beside raming walls and doors, which is a bit lame, so...ladders for them too, or something else? Questions, questions...

Orkman
12-04-2008, 21:53
Siege is really fun with a bunch of friends over. I agree I think its time for a WD article much like the Legendary Battles one from this month. I'd play it.

Fraggzy
13-04-2008, 11:35
if annyone are interested me and some friends are gona play a warhammer siege, Dwarves and Empire against Druchii and Orc's. We might make a battle report about it, if we do i can post the link here

Dux Ducis
13-04-2008, 12:30
Don't tell me the Empire and Dwarfs are defending....:rolleyes:

Fraggzy
13-04-2008, 17:11
yeah they are, but they usualy use no magical defece at all, so..... LETS GO FOR MAGIC!:)

FurryMiguell
13-04-2008, 21:19
Yeah, magic is the way to go! Against those two guys at least. We both know Thorgrim Brokenfoot is no good at anti-magic stuff, and the empire player is even worse!

I think Empire and Dwarfs are born to defend castles... Whatever happens, they end up defending anyway! Could try to do it vice-versa though. might be fun!

It seems to me that the siege rules dont have a very high priority for GW. They seem to not care that much; might be due to the low popularity for siege games(?). They are truly great fun though, worth giving it a go!

Cheers:D