PDA

View Full Version : What is a Tzeenth Player to Do?

That Guy
12-04-2008, 20:19
When I first heard that there was going to be an all-Daemon army I was excited. I haven't been inclined to build a Tzeenth army before because there was a lot about the Hordes of Chaos book that turned me off. But I love the background of Tzeenth. They are a chaotic power that emphasizes change? Sign me up! The rest of Chaos doesn't really do it for me (Violence/Pleasure/Pestilence doesn't really add up to chaos, in my view, just order of a different sort).

Viewing the new rumors, however, I'm a bit distressed. A pure Tzeenth army seems, well, slightly unpleasant. Maybe this is just people overreacting and underestimating just how fragile those Horrors units are, but maybe people are right and a pure Tzeenth army would be an absurd gunline.

So, here's my (tentative, since the book isn't even out yet) idea: Theme the entire army around Tzeenth, but take units from everything offered. For example, take a Beast of Nurgle and call it a Vortex of Change. The random attacks are there because the creature itself is constantly changing and thus constantly has a different number of arms.

I'm an old-timer I suppose, so I remember back in the day when there were Pink and Blue Horrors. What if Daemonettes were Pink, Bloodletters were Red, and Plaguebearers Green?

This would present quite a bit of opportunity for conversation and allow a more balanced force while maintaining a strong theme and deepening the "Tzeenth universe." Or it's just absurd rambling. What do you all think?

Feefait
12-04-2008, 20:51
Although your heart may be in the right place I can't imagine getting anyone to agree to play such a list. Unless you were to also exclude some units, including Tzeentch ones, which probably wouldn't make sense. Minmaxing combat troops is about the same as creating a magic gunline, people will be complain either way.

BattleofLund
12-04-2008, 20:58
Why not just use the different types, if that's allowed by the rules?

I'm pretty sure that when I started playing in the nineties, what attracted me was the cool models. Restricting yourself beyond what the rules demand means less cool models, or tying yourself in knots ('and THESE Horrors that are red and have knives are actually Bloodletters').

Tzeentch is the god of intrigue; who better to actually broker an alliance and use all the other gods' minions as pawns?

sulla
12-04-2008, 21:32
Although your heart may be in the right place I can't imagine getting anyone to agree to play such a list. Unless you were to also exclude some units, including Tzeentch ones, which probably wouldn't make sense. Minmaxing combat troops is about the same as creating a magic gunline, people will be complain either way.

You do realise that an army led by a Lord of change can have as many Khorne, Slaanesh and Nurgle units as the players wants and can afford?

That said, I would not recommend the OP just use repainted horrors or something similar as your 'counts as' troops. Far better to find or convert distictive troops if you don't want to just use allied daemons. Saves problems where your opponent forgets in the heat of battle that those red horrors really have s5 or the green ones are t4 and regenerate...

Gralph!?!
12-04-2008, 21:38
yeah it would be best if you were to stick to the actual models to keep from confusion in the core unit department, a horror is a horror no mistake about that. the vortex is a good idea but would be a bitch to use or you would get funny looks frm people every so often.

for a tzeentch army i would robably use a couple of units from the other gods anyway, who ever gives you a cold stare for a tzeetch army simple deserves a kick in the gonads since 1: they are **** weak in combat. 2: the magic is easily reduced by killing a unit. 3: flamers are reat but are still a little weak in combat.. 4: the tzeetch army with the exception of the lord of change cannot do anything but magic. 5: a tzeentch army will not be as bad as a dwarf gunline cause they actually have weaknesses (see above)

theunwantedbeing
12-04-2008, 21:42
You could very easily get the right models but paint the lot to look like horrors.
Having all horrors painted different colours could be somewhat confusing.

Although your free to paint all your horrors like bloodletters, and all your bloodletters like plaguebearers, and all your plaguebearer's like daemonettes, and all your daemonettes like horrors.
That'll look pretty good and keep your theme going.
Shouldnt be all that confusing either.

BattleofLund
12-04-2008, 21:47
You could very easily get the right models but paint the lot to look like horrors.
Having all horrors painted different colours could be somewhat confusing.

Although your free to paint all your horrors like bloodletters, and all your bloodletters like plaguebearers, and all your plaguebearer's like daemonettes, and all your daemonettes like horrors.
That'll look pretty good and keep your theme going.
Shouldnt be all that confusing either.

Would the horrors painted like bloodletters then count as bloodletters you mean? or as horrors? While confusing the enemy seems an excellently Tzeentch thing to do... I forget what I was gonna say I'm so confused. Good one Unwanted!

What would the squid count as BTW?

Lord Obsidianus
12-04-2008, 22:06
That could make a great army.

Conversions would have to be present but if you had a bunch of horrors with axes running around and counted them as bloodletters, I don't think that would be a problem.

For green horrors(plaguebearers) you could model them with arms morphing into shields(to represent better toughness) and Pink horrors could be morphing deamonette claws.

This, if converted correctly, would be a pleasurable list to play against.

Aflo
12-04-2008, 22:14
I'm planning on doing exactly the same thing. I'm not going to use standard minis at all though as I really dislike how demons always look so uniform. I dislike how all demons look the same and so I plan on scratch building most of minis (this will be a sculpting course for me as much as anything). So I'll have the weaker looking, more magically inclined demons serving as the horrors and big, meaner, more combat orientated lumps of mutated abomination as my combat units (probably plaguebearers as regeneration is perfectly in character with the army).

Gazak Blacktoof
12-04-2008, 22:21
Viewing the new rumors, however, I'm a bit distressed. A pure Tzeenth army seems, well, slightly unpleasant. Maybe this is just people overreacting and underestimating just how fragile those Horrors units are, but maybe people are right and a pure Tzeenth army would be an absurd gunline.

I'll be doing the exact same thing with nurgle. Make sure all the units are unique looking and you'll be fine.

That Guy
13-04-2008, 03:01
Thanks for the support.

I agree that it wouldn't be enough to simply paint Horrors a different color. Conversions would be needed. Back in 5th edition Horrors had hands. Fitting some axes onto them for Red Horrors wouldn't be prohibitively difficult.

I'd also be curious if people have any other ideas for renamed units. Green Horrors fits, but seems a bit lacking in originality. Maybe Novomorbim? (Bastardized Latin for to be changed/made anew into disease.) Clearly this isn't my strong point. Any other ideas? All units in the Chaos book would be game.

mrtn
13-04-2008, 14:11
Check out this (http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?showtopic=13520) thread, you'd find it interesting.

That Guy
13-04-2008, 19:08
mrtn, that thread was an excellent resource. Thanks!

theunwantedbeing
13-04-2008, 19:14
Would the horrors painted like bloodletters then count as bloodletters you mean? or as horrors? While confusing the enemy seems an excellently Tzeentch thing to do... I forget what I was gonna say I'm so confused. Good one Unwanted!

What would the squid count as BTW?

I was more thinking....your bloodletters count as bloodletters.
But instead of painting them red, you paint them...green or pink or blue.
So they are still bloodletters and used as bloodletters....but they arent painted to look like bloodletters at all.

That way you'll probably confuse both sides.
Converting them to look more like how they are painted would also add to the confusion.

So bloodletters painted to look like say...damonettes would have claws and corsets and such.
Horrors painted red like bloodletters would get big swords.
Daemonettes,...etc etc you get the idea.

Even go as far as to mess about wih the greater daemons in the same manner.
So a bloodthirster could lose his axe and whip and have it swapped for a big staff of change and have robes on...while a great unclean one would be given an axe and a whip and armour and wings but still look a lot like a great unclean one...but actually be a bloiodthirster.

It'd probably be best to write it down in big bold simple looking writing so you dont get mixed up while attempting these conversions and painting.
Now I'm somewhat confused so I shall stop.

brambleten
13-04-2008, 20:45
sorry, i just cant imagine bloodletters in corsets. i really cant.
it sounds like a cool idea though, i would like to see the finished product.