PDA

View Full Version : Having A Chaos Defiler (HS) "counting as" a Hell Talon (Flyer) Wait, hear me out!!!

toymaker
12-04-2008, 21:53
In the process of scratchbuilding a Chaos Warhound, I came up with an idea for a "Counts as" Chaos Hell Talon. i have a Death guard Defiler that was designed as a fly. i figure that I build a new fly Defiler, nix the Battle cannon but add the Twin linked Lascannon and other Hell Talon weapons. I haven't decided which. Model it like it's flying (i.e. wings outstretched) and put it on a high base. And I figure I'll make GS maggots as the bombs for it. You think I could get away with using it as a Nurgle Hell Talon? or am I just stumbling in the wrong direction?

dugaal
12-04-2008, 22:41
That sounds awesome, actually!
Only iffy part is if you had both in the same army, with one as a defiler and one as a Hell Talon, it muddies the wysiwyg waters a bit (even though one is flying, one not, they will be visually similar yet totally opposite in rules)

Why not modify your current one to be the Hell Talon and try a different concept for another defiler?

edit: ok, might be difficult to modify the battlecannon out, but it could just be some exhaust or intake...

toymaker
12-04-2008, 22:53
Good point.

But if the models are different colors and look somewhat less similar. (I'm thinking of removing the leg armor and leg blades on the fly/talon) Plus having a different face should be enough, right?

Also it would be mounted on a flying base

Another thought. A predator annihilator and predator destructor are the same just different weapons.

Lunk
12-04-2008, 22:57
Wow, that is an awesome idea. I would accept that as "counts as". I mean come on, one is flying and doesn't have a battle cannon, one is walking and does have a battle cannon.

And if your opponent does complain, point out the rhino and predator, and all the other rhino variants! And they don't fly!

Lunk

dugaal
12-04-2008, 23:05
Lol so what is stopping the defiler from taking off and buzzing around? Thats all Im saying. Two tanks both acting as tanks with different weapons is not the best counter to that argument.
Personally I couldn't care less and would rather play against and encourage awesome conversions, but just be ready for a-holes and tourny organizers

Bigbot
12-04-2008, 23:47
I'd welcome it, I've seen the pics of it dude and the idea of it counting as a hell talon is awesome. Just make sure you call the bombs something different (EG larva) and you're away.

toymaker
13-04-2008, 00:21
Well trust me big bot. The new one will look WAY different. And selling my TF's to do it too

Bigbot
13-04-2008, 00:25
Herasy! (ironic considering the armies we do)

wickedvoodoo
13-04-2008, 11:11
I think a nurglesque fly / defiler / hell talon could look awesome nice idea, very chaosy.

I have seen your fly defiler, i think this could definately be pulled off.

Make sure we get pictures when you do.

toymaker
13-04-2008, 18:29
Not a problem. Considering the size of a Hell Talon I figure by doing a slightly larger wingspan my fly one would be about the same size as a Hell talon just swiveled 90 degrees

Müller
13-04-2008, 18:38
modding log needs to be started and linked to!
concider this thread subscribed!

toymaker
13-04-2008, 19:08
All good Muller, when my warhound is done this is next on the to do list

Kaihlik
13-04-2008, 19:15
When I saw the name of this thread my first reaction was, my god this guy is taking the ****, the things people will do to get out of buying the model, but after reading your post I think the idea is really cool. I am a fan of WYSIWIG but I have no problem with people who use the "count as" rules to represent funcky models without rules (what annoys me is people who use it to be lazy or cheesy) especially if they make the model to fit the rules.

Go for it man, just remember to post pics ;).

intellectawe
13-04-2008, 19:34
In the process of scratchbuilding a Chaos Warhound, I came up with an idea for a "Counts as" Chaos Hell Talon. i have a Death guard Defiler that was designed as a fly. i figure that I build a new fly Defiler, nix the Battle cannon but add the Twin linked Lascannon and other Hell Talon weapons. I haven't decided which. Model it like it's flying (i.e. wings outstretched) and put it on a high base. And I figure I'll make GS maggots as the bombs for it. You think I could get away with using it as a Nurgle Hell Talon? or am I just stumbling in the wrong direction?

I love that idea! Good job! You are a true hobbyist!

But... why are you asking strangers on Warseer about this? If you are concerned about what is accepted, you need to ask your local gamers, since none of us will ever know you anyway!

Mojaco
13-04-2008, 19:48
Well trust me big bot. The new one will look WAY different. And selling my TF's to do it too

So, you're basically scratchbuilding a fly-like creature with Talon rules. And it just happens to be based on a defiler.

I don't see a problem..

toymaker
13-04-2008, 19:56
But... why are you asking strangers on Warseer about this? If you are concerned about what is accepted, you need to ask your local gamers, since none of us will ever know you anyway!

Because i have no local gamers. I haven't played a game in over 5 years and have no real LGS to speak of. And of the friends I can talk to about this? 2. Yep. 2. One plays sisters and is in the same boat I am. The other is a Chaos player (Fortunately) so I'm not totally alone, out in the waro

intellectawe
13-04-2008, 20:34
Well, ask them two then. If everyone online says no, are you going to not do it? What if everyone online says yes, and your friends say no?

toymaker
13-04-2008, 20:45
I did. But the more feedback the merrier. Plus somebody could offer a better idea or something that will send me in a new diredtion.

HsojVvad
13-04-2008, 20:57
I love the idea, go for it. Please give pics of it, in progress and final would be great

intellectawe
13-04-2008, 21:13
Your Nurgle Fly is perfect dude. At least show us some pics :)

toymaker
13-04-2008, 21:44
I always do. Better to share my insanity with all of you than have my gf think I'm crazy alone

Isambard
13-04-2008, 21:44
The 'rule of cool' applies. It sounds like a cool idea, if you can make it look good then it should be 'fly' with everyone (heh, like what I did there?)

chaos0xomega
14-04-2008, 02:49
toymaker, I notice youre in NJ, what part, I might be able to help you out with th egame thing...

Chaplain Ark
14-04-2008, 03:07
i say go for it if you can pull it off. That would be one awesome conversion, and unless you get a really uptight player, i doubt anyone will care if you use both.

toymaker
14-04-2008, 04:48
toymaker, I notice youre in NJ, what part, I might be able to help you out with th egame thing...

Way way WAY west NJ. I'm 10 minutes from PA

mistformsquirrel
14-04-2008, 04:52
Having seen your Defly-ler in the modelling section; Hell yes, you HAVE to do this! >.> It would be awesome (and pretty gross too)

chaos0xomega
14-04-2008, 18:17
Way way WAY west NJ. I'm 10 minutes from PA

North or South? I'm in sussex county, 10 minutes from pa and upstate new york...

toymaker
14-04-2008, 18:38
I'm in Warren County. Right near Easton