PDA

View Full Version : New Carnifex pictures.

Steel-Mark
20-04-2005, 04:56
Hope you didn't see it before.
Enjoy

[[Links removed]]

10X

taer
20-04-2005, 05:01
Thanks, Great pics. I'm not sure if I really like it or really hate it yet. The crab claws look like crap, and the hunched look...is...something. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Steel-Mark
20-04-2005, 05:07
No problem. I saw these pics a week or two before and was surprised that on Portent I didn't find them.
Personaly I liked the all CC version (first picture).

Inquisitor Engel
20-04-2005, 05:08
Supposedly, these weren't to be released until French Games Day... Care to share how you came about these pictures?

That said, I love it! The Crushing Claws look MUCH better as the bottom set of limbs, which is where they're supposed to be... I wonder what base size that is still...

Wait till you all see the regen head. :D

But still... how came you by these pictures?

StugMeister
20-04-2005, 07:12
That looks sweet! A lot better than the current version, although I must admit that the original version is still my fave.

Delicious Soy
20-04-2005, 07:22
I like it though it is a little overbalanced.

Take that GW rumour prevention! :p

Azroth
20-04-2005, 07:37
I think maybe it looks a bit too hunched over, but I like the crushing claws, and as opposed to almost all the other new nid models, the scything talons actually look sharp. All in all I think it's a good model and a great improvement, but it won't make me start nids.

Brunificus
20-04-2005, 07:50
OMFG :eek: they are awesome!!!!

NAVARRO
20-04-2005, 07:53
:eek: Superb carni lots of bitz to play with... one of the best nid minis and its for sure the best carni GW has ever sculpted... LOVE IT...
i have to see it side by side with a normal size mini... but it looks big.
Awesome stuff really makes me think on a TMC army :D

mattjgilbert
20-04-2005, 07:53
I think it looks pretty menacing. That overbalanced look just means it isn't going to be able to stop when it charges! The momentum will make sure it keeps coming!

Aurelien
20-04-2005, 08:01
I particularily like the last one. The claws look cool, and I *love* the weapons ammunition tube. Of course, its a pair of spherical objects in a flesh sack, which is kinda dodgy, but the detail is nice:)

Nid
20-04-2005, 08:05
Holy hell. If I hadn't just rubbed one out I'd be busy with these pics.

Gregorus
20-04-2005, 08:06
wait... is that me, or the carpace on the one with the claws look different from the other two? will that mean, that they will be giving multiple carpaces as well as heads?

Guardian
20-04-2005, 08:20
NOTE TO SELF:
if eldar don't get some of this kind of luvin...start a nid army.

Wraith
20-04-2005, 08:20
will that mean, that they will be giving multiple carpaces as well as heads?

Yes :)

It's lovely! This new 'Fex along with the new 'Stealers are the best new Nid models I really like them.

The crushing claws actually look like they can crush things now rather than just batter them via being used as a club.

The scything talons are great, so is the venom cannon, and the dual devourers also look really cool.

People have suggested it looks overbalanced - I'm undecided I don't think it does but if it moved any faster than a brisk lumber it may have to use it's fore limbs to steady itself.

Overall excellent model. :)

[EDIT: Notice the VC ST Fex has a head with a nose horn like the Hive Tyrant ;) ]

Imus
20-04-2005, 08:30
Take that down now. I think you have no idea how mad the GW legal dept is gonna go mad! This however is ab incredibly nice model. The size as well judging from the base is immenise. I just wonder how much it will be?

On from were those pics came from. Those are the studio colours as we all no and some dislike. That means those photo's were from the studio and someone has leaked them out. Hmmmm bad news for gw staff, if this is the case they gonna clamp down harder now on new release stuff. This may explain why not many people new about the nid hunters. As much as we wanted to see them i wouldn't of midn waiting till the french gamesday without the hassle. But then again. Oh well nice work i guess, wonder how long they last till they are removed.

Brimstone
20-04-2005, 08:44
Absolutely lovely, I'm going to buy several, especially with a barbed strangler.

I believe that's a 60mm base.

Thanks for the pictures.

charlie_c67
20-04-2005, 08:58
To all those that are worrying, 6 months time is October and one would think the carnifex would be out by then!

Very nice model, if I wasn't about to start uni again I might consider starting a nid army. Ho hum :(

Brimstone
20-04-2005, 09:06
Take that down now. I think you have no idea how mad the GW legal dept is gonna go mad!

If we are asked to remove them by GW then of course they will be removed immediately although it's a little late as they are elsewhere already.
However the last thing Portent wants to do is **** off GW so we would comply with any requests.

Imus
20-04-2005, 09:13
I know thats the case. But it could provoke other action against this site because of that. It was ment to be a big realase for ppl to arrrrr and ummmmmmmm at. Which i am doing now. Gw can't police the world but will try it just may end up killing portent off for gd. I like this place been coming to it for years, i would hate to see that happen. That or i maybe over reacting!

Brimstone
20-04-2005, 09:18
We've been asked to remove things before and will do again in the future.

On this occasion they stay until we are asked to remove them or I'm overruled.

cordas
20-04-2005, 09:18
If we are asked to remove them by GW then of course they will be removed immediately although it's a little late as they are elsewhere already.
However the last thing Portent wants to do is **** off GW so we would comply with any requests.

If GW has any sense they will now post these officaly (as they apear to be offical pictures) on sneak peaks. Now that these pics are on the web they will be findable wether they are posted here or not.

As for the pics *COOL*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad that the carni is that big, and that it also looks like its a gameable model, that you can get other models into b2b contact without to much difficulty.

Now we just need the new dex.............

Alex_H
20-04-2005, 09:20
Its too late now the cat is out of the bag :) I have already seen them on three sites this morning.

charlie_c67
20-04-2005, 09:21
Considering Portent has been doing this for 7 years, coupled to the fact that more than one member of the head staff used to be registered here and that Rick Priestly commended Pete for the site, I'd say your over reacting a little. It's within the 6 month window, it's not some half-assed photo and its in the GW colours means it's fair game on the rumour circuit.

Wolflord Bloodangel
20-04-2005, 09:45
:eek: Im in love with justabout every single model in the whole damned Nid range!

:( goodbye money.

Brimstone
20-04-2005, 10:07
I think the devourers are a little weedy IMO but as they have living ammo and are twin linked they reroll both to hit and to wound.

Shame it's S6 max though. :(

Alex_H
20-04-2005, 10:15
It would be over kill if it wasnt..... I mean for example S8 would be instant kill for most troops inc Marines..... as it is its very nasty when playing Eldar or Guard.... hehehe. Oh Mr guard captain.... I have missed you once.. let me re-roll that... ah yes hit........ oh no rolled a 1..... opps now there a 5 you wounded......... ah 3 wounds...... let me see my gun is S8... you got T4.... ahah you dead boyo!

boogle
20-04-2005, 10:20
yeah, makes no odds if they are removed now anyway as most people will have saved them to their computers by now anyway.

Onto the models, the claws look a bit pap to be honest, i like the updated version of the Screamer Killer though, will most likely buy one and try and make an all plastic army

Rabid Bunny 666
20-04-2005, 10:23
looks awesome, i want to do a nid force now, but can't :(

i actually like the crushing claws, but if they are rubbish in person, i have old one eyes floating about somewhere

Scythe
20-04-2005, 10:57
Great model indeed. Can't wait until I've seen it painted in a nice color sceme. Those Scything Talons look awesome indeed. Damn, and I thought 1 of them would be enough. Looks like I'm gonna buy at least 3...

Wraith
20-04-2005, 11:19
I think the devourers are a little weedy IMO but as they have living ammo and are twin linked they reroll both to hit and to wound.

Shame it's S6 max though.

Twin linked I though they counted as two weapons considering two weapons can now be fired by a TMC?

Does that mean you could take two twin linked devourers?

I presonally like the size of the devourers they look stubby and rapid fire like an SMG rather than 'cannon-like'.

will most likely buy one and try and make an all plastic army

Brood Lord as HQ - buffed up with implant attack, other extras and 'mini-lictor' genestealer bodyguard (all infiltrating).

Many different types of genestealers as troops - some basic, some scuttlers, some more 'mini-lictor' 'Stealers (all fleet of claw).

3+ carnifex as fire and combat support.

Rabid Bunny 666
20-04-2005, 11:21
scuttlers?

what is a scutler BTW

Wraith
20-04-2005, 11:25
Acid Maw (re-roll To-Wound, first round only)
Adrenal Glands (+1WS & +1 Int)
Bioplasma (Hits on 4+, S+1 – Max S10)
Bonded Exoskeleton (+1T)
Enhanced Senses (+1BS)
Extended Carapace (+1Sv)
Feeder Tendrils (gain “Prefered Enemy”, also conferred to all nids within 2”)
Flesh Hooks (same as current version)
Leaping (3” assist zone)
Mace Tail & Scythe Tail (‘Fex only – at Int 1and only functions when facing 4+ opponents)
[Mace Tail +1A at full Str]
[Scythe Tail +d3A at ½ Str]
Regenerate (roll 1d6 for each wound lost – Regain 1W for each 6 rolled)
Reinforced Chitin (1W)
Scuttlers (gain “Scouts” ability)
Spine Banks (Frag Grenades & Spinefist)
Spore Cysts (Spore Mine generation)
Symbiote Rippers (+1 to unit size for Outnumbering purposes)
Thornback (Doubles model’s “Counts as”, if on winning side)
Toxic Miasma (opponents at –1WS)
Tusked (+2 on charge instead of +1)
Winged (as “Jumppack “, but can not take Leaping or Extended Carapace)

Rabid Bunny 666
20-04-2005, 11:29
thank you, thems mighty cool

Imbroglio
20-04-2005, 11:37
Wow.... that's massive! I mean I know it was gonna be big, but jesus. It's huge!

*starts jiggling accounts to find some cash*

*finds a use for credit card*

-- Imbroglio

Brimstone
20-04-2005, 11:41
Twin linked I though they counted as two weapons considering two weapons can now be fired by a TMC?

Does that mean you could take two twin linked devourers?

I presonally like the size of the devourers they look stubby and rapid fire like an SMG rather than 'cannon-like'.

Carnifexes have to take two bioweapons.

Devourers and deathspitters are purchased as twin linked weapons and count as one bio-weapon, so you have room for another.

You can buy two venom cannons and they become twin linked but count as two bio-weapons.

I don't want to see the devourers on a fex become cannon like I just would have liked them to be slightly bigger in size overall.

I recently build a twin devourer fex using the old rules and I used the old metal devourers from 2nd edition as they were much more in proportion than the current version.

Lord Balor
20-04-2005, 11:57
Holy Bejesus, a carnifex with thornback counts as what now! If i grab one of these and the new tyrant i can field three generations of nids, especially with the new Big Bugs army configeration...

Great pics btw!

Brimstone
20-04-2005, 12:03
Holy Bejesus, a carnifex with thornback counts as what now!

20 models :p and you can get it even higher by adding symbiotic rippers.

Eversor
20-04-2005, 12:05
Must... stop... drooling...

Oh the conversion possibilities. Emagine a winged Tyrant built from that.

Sgt John Keel
20-04-2005, 12:17
It would get a meh from me. Flawless sculpt, nice execution and everything, but it doesn't have that special extra that make me need it.

/Adrian

cordas
20-04-2005, 12:30
Shame it's S6 max though.

It would be over kill if it wasnt..... I mean for example S8 would be instant kill for most troops inc Marines..... as it is its very nasty when playing Eldar or Guard.... hehehe. Oh Mr guard captain.... I have missed you once.. let me re-roll that... ah yes hit........ oh no rolled a 1..... opps now there a 5 you wounded......... ah 3 wounds...... let me see my gun is S8... you got T4.... ahah you dead boyo!

Why S6 max.... thats just naff. Yes S9 with 4 shots (assuming Carni has 2 attacks and the dev is Ax2) would only make it a "good" anti-vehicle weapon as it can only glance.

As for killing troops, S6 will instant kill any imp guar, sisters, eldar as they are T3. Why shouldn't it instant kill SM and CSM its a gun on a CARNIFEX for bleeping out loud?

They will still get armour saves, I know that ain't much saving grace for imp gaurd, but as a nid player....... The other thing anout your Guard captain... if he has already lost his XX levels of ablative armour (buddies in squad) then he is dead anyway....

Let me and my carni have a S9 devourer or I will just stick with my S8 Barbed Strangler.

Eversor
20-04-2005, 13:05
<snip> Why shouldn't it instant kill SM and CSM its a gun on a CARNIFEX for bleeping out loud? <snip>
It's still a gun that shoots bleeping worms. I always found it odd that a carnifex could breeed that much more deadly ammo just because it's got more mass than a warrior.

I like this change. Hopefully it will bring more diversity, so we will see something other than four devourers on carnifexes.

de Selby
20-04-2005, 13:24
The third pic appears to be the basis for my avatar of the last few weeks, and as such looks mighty cool.

I was happy to wait for the French GD (by contrast with the rest of GW's rumour management recently, I think releasing the silhouette first, as a teaser, as a great idea). But I'm equally happy to start the party now.

Love the pose, love the big gun (?), heads, backs, and talons. The crushing claws I think would look great as a second pair of arms, behind the talons. The devourers I think look just plain odd, but I don't care.

boogle
20-04-2005, 18:25
seems GW are upset with this being leaked out

Goatboy
20-04-2005, 18:26
Wow, that is one sweet model. Combined with the excellent Hive tyrant a big bug army is looking really appealing right now.

Wraith
20-04-2005, 19:04
Can you imagine a crushing claws twin linked devourer Fex though?

Devourer is 2xA Assault but the crushing claws make the Fex's attacks D6 so thats a possible 12 strength 6 attacks (6*2 obviously) re-rolling to hit and wound at the new range of 18". Now that's pretty nasty and could seriously threaten some vehicles as well. The Fex would also be potentially very good in combat and as such not give up too much HtH prowess.

Of course you could add on a 'Spine Bank' back carapace giving you an additonal spine fist (and counts as frag grenades)...

twisted_mentat
20-04-2005, 19:18
I am so glad i couldn't find anyone to buy my guants...so now i can just get a New 'fex and Hive Tyranid...

if i only i could remember how i got that slimy green look on them...

Dreachon
20-04-2005, 19:21
I am so gonna get a lot of these, the conversions ideasare simply endlss withall the options available to it.

plasmadaemon
20-04-2005, 19:29
i hate the new carnifex, it's too leaned forward and it looks too streamlined.

The pestilent 1
20-04-2005, 19:34
meh.
pretty cool, but not enough to replace my 3rd edition ones with.
to be honest, im not liking most of the new range (the zoanthropes got me... but i have three already)
oh wells, means i have more money to rid myself of that stupid grin on the 3rd edition one and to finish my tyrant i spose.

angelspast
20-04-2005, 19:36
Although the screamer killer holds a special place in my heart... The new carnifex has some REALLY neat parts. He's very crab like.

Anyone else thinking about making a "fiddler crab" carnifex? :D

Black Ambience
20-04-2005, 19:36
Can you imagine a crushing claws twin linked devourer Fex though?

Devourer is 2xA Assault but the crushing claws make the Fex's attacks D6 so thats a possible 12 strength 6 attacks (6*2 obviously) re-rolling to hit and wound at the new range of 18". Now that's pretty nasty and could seriously threaten some vehicles as well. The Fex would also be potentially very good in combat and as such not give up too much HtH prowess.

Of course you could add on a 'Spine Bank' back carapace giving you an additonal spine fist (and counts as frag grenades)...

You sure about that possible 12 S6 shots Immor... erm, Wraith?

As it stands, Bioweapons only use the creature's basic attacks to calculate fire rate (no bonuses for Scything Talons etc, as the rate of fire the attached gun has is little to do with the stabbing claws on the other limbs) - or has this changed with the advent of the V4 Codex? *hopes*

lord_blackfang
20-04-2005, 19:38
Looking good, but how many sprues will it have? I see 2 carapaces, at least 10 arms, 3 heads, 2 tails...

boogle
20-04-2005, 19:42
well you're in the minority at the moment

Kit
20-04-2005, 20:06
Ooh ain't it purty. Anouther addition to my Nid army................the cost keeps on going up and up.

de Selby
20-04-2005, 20:12
seems GW are upset with this being leaked out

Have they said so?

What form has their displeasure taken?

:D

Information wants to be free!!

Wraith
20-04-2005, 20:39
You sure about that possible 12 S6 shots Immor... erm, Wraith?

As it stands, Bioweapons only use the creature's basic attacks to calculate fire rate (no bonuses for Scything Talons etc, as the rate of fire the attached gun has is little to do with the stabbing claws on the other limbs) - or has this changed with the advent of the V4 Codex? *hopes*

Crushing claws replaces the Carnifex's base stats of two attacks with D6 - it is not 2+D6 attacks or anything like that.

But no I haven't read the new dex.

philbrad2
20-04-2005, 20:59
Apart from the 'I need a hug' Brood Lord I've yet to find one of the new Nid models I've seen I a) don't like b) don't want to field in my bug army!

This thing is waht the Carnifex was mean't to be a big badd ass walking bug TANK. Need at least 3 :D

Now if we can add plastic Gargoyles to the 'wishlist' the bugs must have one the the spangliest armies in the game.

:cool:

Coppertop
20-04-2005, 21:05
What a monster! A complete beast! I love it! Certainly beats the last one by about 10x (smiling git) and the one before that buy 1000x (the screaming neckless twit). Unlike the tyrant (which isn't as bad in real life - especially not if it's pinned in a few places and gets a body extension and it's head pushed forward a bit. Even the horn looks in place. Kind of. I still prefer the scythed forgeworld one) the hunched over pose really suits this one.

Can anyone say "BWAAAAHHHHHH! Carnifex DESTROY!!!!!" ?

rikard
20-04-2005, 21:12
Is it my imagination or does the carnifex come with two different carapces? I think its a good model (needs a different colour sceme though) though does anyone know how tall it is compared with the old model

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Marshtomp8/TheTyranidHive_Logo.jpg (http://thetyranidhive.proboards28.com/index.cgi)

invivos
20-04-2005, 21:38
Wow! I love the Fex, great model! I really like that it has some features in common with the FW Hierodule and Hierophant like the openings and chimneys in the back torso :) It´s sort of a Hierodule´s little brother ain´t it? :D Gonna get me a couple of these guys for sure!

ObiWan
20-04-2005, 21:43
I like them a lot, unlike most of the other new figs...

Flame Boy
20-04-2005, 21:54
Wow... That thing's so gruesome it's almost...sexy. Hehe

I'm going to buy a 3rd ed 'Fex just so that when I buy this chap I'll have one from each generation... This one has the nasty screaming face from the first carnifex, the viscious talons from the second and the spiny crests from the first Hive Tyrant model... I love it! Just look at that sledgehammer of a tail! Those are some seriously impressive models...

What do you think the alternate carapace represents? I guess it's either the Toxic miasma, the spore cysts or spine banks, but I'm not sure which. I'd go with spore cysts personally. Then again, it could represent adrenal glands if you use your imagination (I bet something that big with a fast metabolism would need exhaust pipes to get rid of excess body heat... hehe)

Either way, I think it's great, and the gaunt-like heads don't look sills in my opinion, which is a true blessing. I also love the way that bio-weapon has turned the 'Fexes hand into a large egg sac or something similar, it looks lik a large nest sprouting out from between it's elongated fingers, which is actually quite creepy. Those talons look terrifying, and thanks to it being a plastic kit, they actually look sharp instead of huge slabs.

I do think the rules for the claws are somewhat wierd... why would it make the basic attacks less predictable? I would have thought a crushing attack would make more sense, or bonus armour penetration or something. Getting random attacks seems more appropriate if it's arms were turned into huge lash whips.... now that's an idea for an oddball conversion... :)

Wraith
20-04-2005, 22:03
What do you think the alternate carapace represents?

Normal
Spine Banks (Frag Grenades & Spinefist)
Thornback (Doubles model’s “Counts as”, if on winning side)
Spore Cysts (Spore Mine generation)

Out of these options it looks most like the spore cyst carapace.

Cheitan Shadowless
20-04-2005, 22:24
That thing's so gruesome it's almost...sexy.Sigged. :p

I take back everything I said about the Carnifex when the head pictures were first shown on Portent - these are fantastic. With the massive range of sculpted biomorphs available in the kit, the three Carnifexes in the pictures look like three individual creatures, and not just "same guy, different gear". Finally, Carnifexes can be tweaked and altered to very unique appearances - and viciously so! :D

Must. Have. Now. :cool:

malika
20-04-2005, 22:45
I still prefere One Old Eye!

Inquisitor Engel
20-04-2005, 22:50
I'd like to point out just how amazingly sexy this thing is. It's like a Tyrant Guard/Gaunt hybrid on steroids! It's amazing.

And no, GW is not very happy about this leak. I THINK this is from the PDF/slideshow for the French GD, it's certainly too high quality to be a scan, and I don't recall seeing these particular shots in the codex.

Anyway, if I end up doing a Nid army, I'll be using the full compliment of 6 of them. :D

obscenename
20-04-2005, 23:30
The Second One is silly, Because I think the guns on top it would look **** with the claws no top though it would look gay. However the model is SUPERB in every other one and the claws I think those need to be used on every model.

astrocortex
21-04-2005, 01:03
I'll bet GW are really going nuts about this!

Still good to see some pics at last. I think I'll be buying one ...... even if I had just declared my tyranid army complete!

New Cult King
21-04-2005, 01:34
Hell sexy. So, SO good. These Tyranid minis are just excellent. GW - you are blowing me away.

Max_Killfactor
21-04-2005, 03:43
I particularily like the last one. The claws look cool, and I *love* the weapons ammunition tube. Of course, its a pair of spherical objects in a flesh sack, which is kinda dodgy, but the detail is nice:)

My thoughts exactly.

Overall, a nice improvement.

Nid
21-04-2005, 04:50
Compare:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/untitled.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/untitleds.jpg

Ohhhh yeahhhhh

Marsekay
21-04-2005, 05:42
I like this new carnifex.
But yes i also like his "screamer killer" pose.

notdakuningist
21-04-2005, 05:48
Hmmm....somone should do a crab carnifex wearing a leman russ as a shell.
:-)

blackroyal
21-04-2005, 06:47
I got to fess up to the fact I hate the new nids. The third edition range was fine. I really don't know what i don't like about them. They just do not feel "right". Might be the talons.

(oh how sad... this was going to be my 150th or so post)

Scythe
21-04-2005, 08:04
Damn, now that I've seen it compared to a hierophant, it looks even better. They really look simular. Reminds me that I need both for my swarm... ;)

cordas
21-04-2005, 08:17
It's still a gun that shoots bleeping worms. I always found it odd that a carnifex could breeed that much more deadly ammo just because it's got more mass than a warrior.

So why is every gun strengh the nids get based on the strengh of the creature?

You put a devourer on a gaunt and its st2, on a warrior its st4, on a hive tyrant s5 and on a carnifex it should be s9.

Gregorus
21-04-2005, 08:21
So why is every gun strengh the nids get based on the strengh of the creature?

You put a devourer on a gaunt and its st2, on a warrior its st4, on a hive tyrant s5 and on a carnifex it should be s9.because they use their own muscles strangth to throw the ammo out of the "barrel", its as simple as that

Brunificus
21-04-2005, 08:35
I got to fess up to the fact I hate the new nids. The third edition range was fine. I really don't know what i don't like about them. They just do not feel "right". Might be the talons.

(oh how sad... this was going to be my 150th or so post)

Thats what put me off doing Nid's after 2nd ed, the models were so crap. These are so much better IMO. The Heriophant is SO gonna be in my new nid army.

boogle
21-04-2005, 10:40
I think the paint scheme is what is putting a lot of people off the new Nids, because even though i don't particuarly like the new Tyrant guard, is looks better in the turqoise than it does in the Albino style

Scythe
21-04-2005, 10:48
Well, that isn't so bad. We don't need as many nid players as there are space marine players currently. I like to have an army that not everyone else around has. And if you look trough the colour scheme, the models look very nice.

boogle
21-04-2005, 10:52
yeah, but as with food, if it looks crap, you may not want to eat it (even though you know the food is nice)

Lion El Jason
21-04-2005, 12:39
AArrggg! So much money... I've already ordered the army box... Now I need 3 of these...

I am still keeping my RT ones though for elites uses...
Not like 'nids have 3 good elites choices anyhow...

Alex_H
21-04-2005, 16:01
You could just buy the battleforce box set three times and expand the horde :)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/Hodes101/Battleforce.gif

Goatboy
21-04-2005, 23:14
Frack that things big. The battle force pic really gives a good sense of the scale of it(for added affect enlarge the pic until the gaunts are full size).

The pestilent 1
21-04-2005, 23:48
*enlarges*
... :eek: whoah!
the things grown on me since i first saw it... still a shame about the tyrant though.
and im still angry about the spiffay new zoanthropes.

boogle
22-04-2005, 07:34
that must mean the Fex is £20-25 pounds and even if its £20, that battleforce is still one hell of a deal (£71-76 worth of Nids)

Lion El Jason
22-04-2005, 09:54
Is that the £50 box?
If so 3 of those may well be in order...

Dr Death
22-04-2005, 17:06
Hmmm, mmmmmm im not all together sure about this model. I still dont like the head- it just looks a bit too...blunt for the terrifying monstrosity, scourge of the imperium. The torso is alright but frankly i think bent over like that doesnt really reflect the brutal killing nature of the Carnifex- it looks vulnerable and defensive. In addition to this, in order to really look any good the long scything talons and preferably a long gun are a must. The large opening onto the head is also a little irritating, combine it with the 3rd ed head and you have something resembling a spiky tortoise.

This model does however tempt me (just slightly) over to the nids. Stretch it out, give it a better head and give it the Carni weapon of choice (4 scything talons) and it may just do something for me.

Dr Death

Scythe
22-04-2005, 17:16
Remember the box comes with multiple heads, so you have some choice in that. And for the bulk bent over, imagine that think coming at you with at full speed. The momentum of such thing is huge, more than enough to justify such killing power.

nick
22-04-2005, 17:31
The images have been removed by request.

Please do not let GW legal send me e-mails as they arn't nice!

Nick

Tom
22-04-2005, 19:28
Nick, it's still in the rumour roundup...

And it's feshing ace.

Note that the pictures will probably be allowed back up tomorrow, since GD France is in fact tomiorrow. Or next week, I can't remember. Even so...

I think I wet my pants.

nick
22-04-2005, 20:30
I would still rather not get any more e-mails from GW legal...

Nick

boogle
22-04-2005, 23:56
ho ho, they must have been really upset at that leaking out, seems GW France aren't that bothered about the picture leaking out as they have a picture of the Fex in the battleforce, whereas the Uk site doesn't: http://fr.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.fr?do=Individual&code=99120106008&orignav=9

notdakuningist
23-04-2005, 00:14
sooo.... can we post the pic again? Has gd france happened yet?

boogle
23-04-2005, 00:29
not sure see what Nick has to say, after Sunday, i beleive there will be no problem as it will have its official unveiling so to speak

Inquisitor Engel
23-04-2005, 01:10
Depends when it goes up. If the slideshow is tomorrow/today, we'll be cool tomorrow.

Flame Boy
23-04-2005, 12:14
The only think I miss about the old 2nd ed 'Nid now that it's successor has turned up is that it no longer looks like it's claws are designed to crush things in a truly epic bearhug, but with those new talons it looks like skewer-city instead. :)

Wraith
23-04-2005, 12:40
Well the second edition never had 'crushing claws' rather than two pairs of scything talons.

I know what you mean though - the 2nd edition Carnifex's two pairs of scything talons were designed to look quite combat effective where as later carnifex's incarnations suffer from looking a bit awkward with two pairs of scything talons. The 3rd and 4th edition carnifexs have to be able to be armed with many different weapons in many different ways so certain weapon configurations (e.g. two pairs of scything talons) end up looking not as good as they might have if the Fex was designed with said weapons in mind.

Eversor
23-04-2005, 13:32
The only think I miss about the old 2nd ed 'Nid now that it's successor has turned up is that it no longer looks like it's claws are designed to crush things in a truly epic bearhug, but with those new talons it looks like skewer-city instead. :)

Just snip of the joint closest to the body. File and shave until you have a good fit, and mount them on "sideways". Looks like the new carni's scythes will be ace for this

Or you could just buy the old scythes from mail order ;)

Flame Boy
23-04-2005, 19:31
Well the second edition never had 'crushing claws' rather than two pairs of scything talons.

I know what you mean though - the 2nd edition Carnifex's two pairs of scything talons were designed to look quite combat effective where as later carnifex's incarnations suffer from looking a bit awkward with two pairs of scything talons. The 3rd and 4th edition carnifexs have to be able to be armed with many different weapons in many different ways so certain weapon configurations (e.g. two pairs of scything talons) end up looking not as good as they might have if the Fex was designed with said weapons in mind.

What I mean was that the Carnifex use to be base strength 7, right? It could pool it's 4 attacks into one Str10 crush attack... in my mind that looked like the 2nd ed Carnifex would grab the victim with it's 4 scything talons and crush it like a massive set of Hydraulic jaws. I guess some people could imagine that it trampled people, but that's how I imagined it anyway.

The Judge
23-04-2005, 21:11
Why has the link been removed?

Brimstone
23-04-2005, 21:19
Why has the link been removed?

Because GW asked us to.

They stay removed for now on Portent.

boogle
23-04-2005, 21:35
plus they weren't supposed to be released until at least tomorrow (after GD France)

Nazguire
23-04-2005, 22:00
plus they weren't supposed to be released until at least tomorrow (after GD France)

Don't you just hate press leaks ;)

Too me the Carnifex looks amazing, but the crushing claws don't look vicious enough. Rather it seems to me that they look like novelty hands you buy at badly stage wrestling events.

But the venom cannon/devourer/fleshborer whatever it is looks great, as does the head and the scythes

Jonathan =I=
24-04-2005, 08:42
Lucky I Saved the pics to my computer :) Its my background right now :D

Scythe
24-04-2005, 09:10
As most of is have, undoubtly. They were a little too late to correct that leak... ;)

But the venom cannon/devourer/fleshborer whatever it is looks great, as does the head and the scythes

The carnifex armed with the crab like crushing claws as upper limbs has devourers as lower bio-weapon, and the one with scything talons a venom cannon.

Black Ambience
24-04-2005, 10:16
As most of is have, undoubtly. They were a little too late to correct that leak... ;)

The carnifex armed with the crab like crushing claws as upper limbs has devourers as lower bio-weapon, and the one with scything talons a venom cannon.

That was a Venom Cannon?! Looked much more like a Barbed Strangler to me - stubby, lacking in the traditional "spike" at the end of the cannon, and the supporting arm was outfitted with the seed bearing sac that the older Strangler version had... Either that, or two days of not seeing the picture has warped my memory! :p

Wraith
24-04-2005, 11:10
It was a Barbed Strangler...

Alex_H
24-04-2005, 11:20
Do we know of anyone going to GD France?

Scythe
24-04-2005, 11:52
Sorry, did I type venom cannon... I ment barbed strangler of course... ;)

Inquisitor Engel
25-04-2005, 19:23
Heads the size of a Guardsman? Yes please.

Bruen
25-04-2005, 21:13
You can buy two venom cannons and they become twin linked but count as two bio-weapons.

If thats the case whats the point of the rule about monstrous creatures being able to fire two weapons in a shooting phase? And if they could as two bio-weapons who would ever take this option?

I would not put it past GW to give with one hand but take away with the other.

I don't understand why GW has this fetish with twin-linking. This habit of forcing twin weapons to be twin linked is annoying.. It would be fine to have the option of single, twin linked or twin coaxial but they seem to have a vendetta against the last option.

Brimstone
25-04-2005, 21:39
Well you could buy a strangler and a venom cannon and fire both or buy two sets of twin-linked devourers or deathspitters and fire both.

Scythe
27-04-2005, 11:23
Well, a strangler and a venom cannon together wouldn't be such an effective combination, but I can see a point in having 2 twin linked devourers or 2 twin linked deathspitters together.

Brimstone
11-05-2005, 05:48
Finally a picture of the Carnifex I can post on Portent.

Latest sneak peak.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/43237729.jpg

The Beast
11-05-2005, 12:44
Well, a strangler and a venom cannon together wouldn't be such an effective combination, but I can see a point in having 2 twin linked devourers or 2 twin linked deathspitters together.
I could see the value of having a BS on the carni now with a vc. Since the bs has an armor value it would be great against most transports since it can get a ord. pen. hit. And if it misses the vc can always slow the thing down again if not stop it. It's always great to get an annihilated result on that rhino with the SM Command squad in it. :D

Scythe
11-05-2005, 17:49
As far as I know the barbed strangler still only uses the ordnance blast for hits determination, it isn't acctually ordnance (hence it doesn't scatter and doesn't roll on ordnance damage). Also I don't know if there's a maximum S on the strangler like there is with deathspitters and devourers. Could be wrong tough.

Anyway, I heard the strangler is now S-1, so a S9 weapon with penetration would be quite nice anyway, tough probably overcosted due to the template your not using against vehicles.

Azazel
16-05-2005, 15:44
Venom Cannon max STR 10
Barbed Strangler max 8
Those are the only two Im certain about. Most others have them as well.
6 or 7 for Death spitters and 5 for most others IIRC.

Forgotmytea
16-05-2005, 16:13
Finally a picture of the Carnifex I can post on Portent.

Latest sneak peak.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/43237729.jpg

Not as bad as the Tyrant, but I still prefer the old one :(.

pestario
16-05-2005, 17:11
I must be sick, but looking at that picture, Hive Fleet albino is growing on me

Flame Boy
16-05-2005, 18:00
I must be sick, but looking at that picture, Hive Fleet albino is growing on me

That's the Tyranid cerebral parasites at work... don't worry, the feeling of liking the albinonids is soon replaced by excruciating pain, paralysis and death. :p

I like it on the bigger 'nids, they have more carapace, so they don't look like they've been rolling around in icing sugar... :rolleyes:

boogle
16-05-2005, 21:36
much prefer Behemoth myself

M@L@L
17-05-2005, 00:07
The new fex is better than I expected. That's silouhetes (sp?) for ya.:D Hopefully the tyranid monstrous creature design rules are still valid as both the new and old fex as well as the old tyrant would make great templates.

Nid
17-05-2005, 01:25
So when's the official purchase date for the Fex?

Scythe
17-05-2005, 07:24
Venom Cannon max STR 10
Barbed Strangler max 8
Those are the only two Im certain about. Most others have them as well.
6 or 7 for Death spitters and 5 for most others IIRC.

Having received the codex last weekend, you're correct. Barbed Strangler is max S8, tough it is beyond me why it has 2 different pts values for S9 and S10 carnifexes. Deathspitters are S7 max, all other weapons (well, except vemon cannon) are S6 max.

M@L@L
18-05-2005, 23:00
Just a quick non carnifex related question. What kind of biomorphs can the hive tyrant take in the new dex? I ask because I like my commanders to look unique and if there are some pretty decent ones for the tyrant, like feeder tentacles or acid maw, it would give me a good opportunity to break out the green stuff.

Scythe
19-05-2005, 07:23
(out of memory, so I could miss some); bascially every upgrade he could get before (tough wings being 0-1 per army). He also has access to acid maw, ripper base (forgot its name) and toxic miasma (WS7 Tyrant anyone?), but that's it for biomorphs. However most of the pts values got reworked, so most upgrades are quite usefull now. Also, the Tyrant has access to a new psychic power (shadow of the warp) and bio-weapons got reworked (devourers and deathspitters being twin-linked for a single bio-weapon choice).

Yorkiebar
20-05-2005, 11:02
So when's the official purchase date for the Fex?
According to the online store, the second of July

The Beast
31-05-2005, 12:29
As far as I know the barbed strangler still only uses the ordnance blast for hits determination, it isn't acctually ordnance (hence it doesn't scatter and doesn't roll on ordnance damage). Also I don't know if there's a maximum S on the strangler like there is with deathspitters and devourers. Could be wrong tough.

Anyway, I heard the strangler is now S-1, so a S9 weapon with penetration would be quite nice anyway, tough probably overcosted due to the template your not using against vehicles.
How do you figure that it isn't actually ord.? In 3rd edition I always shot it as ordnance because it said it was and ordnance weapon in the codex. I don't have it in hand atm but I remember looking for it before. Could you please tell me how you came about this conclusion? I know you're probably right because several others on portent (before server crash) also believed that. I just can't prove it in my games.

gLOBS
31-05-2005, 13:12
It was never ordinance. It used the ordinance template because thats what the template itself was called in 3rd. Ed. It was and still is an assault weapon.

The Beast
01-06-2005, 12:10
I just assumed that it allowed you to move and shoot the ordnance gun. How do you figure that it doesn't take the rules for both?

GodHead
01-06-2005, 12:41
Wow, so much for Portents rumor capacity. It's pretty sad how low it's been brought.

Scythe
01-06-2005, 18:11
I just assumed that it allowed you to move and shoot the ordnance gun. How do you figure that it doesn't take the rules for both?

It states it uses the 5" template (large blast), it doesn't state ordnance....;)