PDA

View Full Version : Well that was stupid...

Darkseer
13-04-2008, 21:16
To get into Fantasy, I ordered a Night Goblin army on the cheap. (I like the character too)

My friend was going through the rules with me.
From the looks of things, a single hit from his Screaming Skull catapuly (firing heads of the enemy) will send my army into a panic due to their paltry LD6, herding the whole lot off the board in a single turn. :cries:

Is there anyway I can stop this from happening?

logan054
13-04-2008, 21:27
yeah, dont fail the leadership tests :)

Lord_Squinty
13-04-2008, 21:32
Yes, it probably will send a whole unit fleeing,
But in a goblin army - thats one unit out of about 20 :)
Also - you can rally once you start fleeing.
Dont worry about it too much

Warlord Gnashgrod
13-04-2008, 21:32
well, it won't send your whole army off the board, unles you only have one giant unit. LOL

That's just one of the characteristics of all goblin armies; low general leadership and things that cause auto panic tests aren't good. I don't know the O&G book; is there any magic items that can make your units immune to panic? Those would help. Also, i would suggest trying to take out the catapults asap, with wolf riders, spider riders and the like.

unforgiven555
13-04-2008, 21:37
From the looks of things, a single hit from his Screaming Skull catapul

Goblins are going to have tremendous leadership issues against a fear causing army. I would suggest rowdy grott's big red raggedy banner - to allow a reroll of all failed panic tests. I'd suggest taking a goblin war boss for your general, with ld 8. Still, if he's taking Sculls of the Foe you're failing about half of your tests while using your general's leadership, and alot more on your base LD5. You're in for a very tough time ahead of you. O&G in general have problems against undead due to fear - goblin based armies are especially in trouble. Maybe take on unit of orcs and an orc general to get access to LD9. You'll have similar troubles against the casket of souls.

Wolf riders can be used to hunt down the SSC, if he doesn't protect his SSCs very well, but count on a couple units of them as they'll fail their fear tests and being unable to charge.

Shamfrit
13-04-2008, 21:56
Big Red Raggedy Banner - BSB in the line, problem solved.

stonehorse
13-04-2008, 22:14
All part and parcell of being a Night Goblin.

Just remember that there are a few factors with the Screaming Skull Catapult.
-Your opponent has to guess range
-Your opponent has to roll both the scatter and the Artillery dice.
-Your opponent will have to go through the to hit any partial and wound as normal
-You get your any svaes you may have.
-You may fail your Leadership test, which can be re-rolled by taking Rowdy Grott's Big Red Raggedy Banner

If they flee they flee... Night Goblins are more of a fun army, not designed to be the all winning armies that people tend to field.

VetSgtNamaan
13-04-2008, 23:38
They are certainly a very fun army to play. Huge hordes of night gobbos with fanatics, pump wagons and wolf riders. A recipe for much fun and mayhem.

Oh and I almost forgot to get more leadership you can just put orc heroes and the like in with your units since they generally have higher leadership than the gobbos.

theunwantedbeing
13-04-2008, 23:58
It was worse last edition when a fleeing enemy within 6" caused you to panic as well.
You really could go through the whole "my army fled off the board on turn 1 from a single hit" type thing.
Now you'll just lose chunks of it....lol

Urgat
14-04-2008, 00:50
You'll have similar troubles against the casket of souls.

Casket of souls can be easily dealt with by fielding stone trolls, though. Just have them see the casket, and hop! two additional dispel dies to counter it.

Draconian77
14-04-2008, 01:39
I hate this rule, it makes a 165pt upgrade on what is already a palty spellcaster absolutely useless. Not saying your wrong, just that I think the ruling is dumb.

Gobbos will flee against Undead alot, its always a hard fight. You can try reduce the damage by taking several small units of 20 instead of the more commen 25-30 but at the end of the day you just met the rock to your scissors.

Lord_Byron
14-04-2008, 03:21
Convert a Black Orc Warboss to look like a night goblin and lead your army with him. ;)

Ganymede
14-04-2008, 04:30
I'd suggest you take some orcs.

I appreciate your shot at theme, but building a goblin force with no orcs is like building a peasant force with no knights.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
14-04-2008, 05:59
I think this showcases how Orcs and Goblins are meant to be taken together. An all goblin army, while fun and fluffy, is actually only part of an army list. The leadership then becomes a huge issue. But there are tons of Tricksey Traps and Sneaky Schemes you can use to overcome this thing... and, litterally, I'm pretty sure that if you use Skarsnik his Sneaky Schemes could mean his catapult can't come into play at all!

Now that I've said it, I will ask: how do other people play this? If a unit is delayed by Skarsnik's Sneaky Schemes, and that unit does not move, can it come into play from the board edge like other units, or is it destroyed?

Darkseer
14-04-2008, 06:44
It was worse last edition when a fleeing enemy within 6" caused you to panic as well.
You really could go through the whole "my army fled off the board on turn 1 from a single hit" type thing.
Now you'll just lose chunks of it....lol

That's what I thought still happened.
It's not so bad then.

sulla
14-04-2008, 07:23
Is there anyway I can stop this from happening?

Have gorbad lead your army and you have few worries. :D

Urgat
14-04-2008, 14:22
I'd suggest you take some orcs.

I appreciate your shot at theme, but building a goblin force with no orcs is like building a peasant force with no knights.

Pah, I've faced undead many times with my all gobs forces in 6th edition, and the victory/loss ratio was well balanced. Fear isn't that big of a deal, there's lots of ways to circumvent it (we do have units immune to psychology, fear and terror causing units and so on). A regular goblin lord has enough Ld to make your lines hold, you have all manners of artillery to crush elite units, skelettons ain't any better than gobs in hth, and you can get bazillion dispell dies to stop the enemy magic phase. Sure it's probably easier with orcs, but it's nowhere near as impossible as people think with just gobs.

Ixquic
14-04-2008, 14:24
Casket of souls can be easily dealt with by fielding stone trolls, though. Just have them see the casket, and hop! two additional dispel dies to counter it.

Just as an aside that doesn't work. MR only works when you direct a spell specifically at that unit. If that unit gets caught up in bubble effect or a global spell it doesn't help.

Lhel
14-04-2008, 14:35
Just as an aside that doesn't work. MR only works when you direct a spell specifically at that unit. If that unit gets caught up in bubble effect or a global spell it doesn't help.
I wish you was right. If you look at the Tombking FAQ this is covered all to clearly. One or more unit which can see the casket gives you the extra dice to stop the CoS activation. I seldom bring mine for the light of death effect though, the -1 to casting and general "player being all to careful to avoid the casket with expensive units" effect is usual more then enough to make up any points it may cost.

Ixquic
14-04-2008, 15:00
I wish you was right. If you look at the Tombking FAQ this is covered all to clearly. One or more unit which can see the casket gives you the extra dice to stop the CoS activation. I seldom bring mine for the light of death effect though, the -1 to casting and general "player being all to careful to avoid the casket with expensive units" effect is usual more then enough to make up any points it may cost.

That sucks since in 7th it doesn't work that way but since they have it written in the army book/faq I guess Tomb Kings get screwed.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-04-2008, 15:25
That's what I thought still happened.
It's not so bad then.

Indeed it's not. Gobbos need no longer fear the 'Ripple of Panic'

And yet some still wonder why they went up in points.

Peril
14-04-2008, 17:36
I do still wonder. The changes to panic do not in any way cover a 50% increase in points, especially with animosity being worse, and the Raggedy Banner being changed.

Darkseer
14-04-2008, 22:09
Ah well.
It's a laugh and I can have squigs.

If I took this too seriously I'd be playing an intensely homosexual army...like Elves.

DoktorZinieztro
14-04-2008, 22:30
If I took this too seriously I'd be playing an intensely homosexual army...like Elves.

:D Being a DE player, that made me laugh... Really loud! :D

Fun is the key, to hell with everything else and "competitiveness" at the lead of it all.

P.S.: At least, DE have GIRLS among their ranks.... But now that I come to conjure up a rather twisted image, those girls could be the "chicky best friends" of the ponce gathering or just...

Those brave enough to be in drag for all to see.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-04-2008, 22:45
Hmmm...Dark Elf player here, with pictures of myself in Drag....

Dare I unleash my beauty upon Warseer once more?

Eldarion
14-04-2008, 22:51
DE have GIRLS among their ranks.... .

Yes, trannys............

High elf player skips down the road, picking soft flowers as he goes.

:D

DoktorZinieztro
16-04-2008, 17:35
DE have GIRLS among their ranks...

Yes, trannys............

High elf player skips down the road, picking soft flowers as he goes.

:D

:eyebrows:

And now, you all see the real reason for the "eternal hatred" the Druchii feel towards the High Elves...

How do we come back with a retort to something like that!?:(

Ouch!:p

Fredmans
17-04-2008, 11:20
Indeed it's not. Gobbos need no longer fear the 'Ripple of Panic'

And yet some still wonder why they went up in points.

Gobbos need no longer fear the "Ripple of Panic" since they fear everything else in the Warhammer World anyway. The few troops they do not fear are most likely to break them anyway.

And on a side note, I do still wonder why common goblins with spear, shield and light armour costs 5 pts/head. I think a "Dark Elves" amendment to Common Goblins in the current army list would be justifiable, if GW plan on selling any Goblin Regiment boxes at all.

/Fredmans