PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Sounds

Necronartum
13-04-2008, 22:28
Hey guys. I was reading the Ultramarines Omnibus today and as I read the descriptions of firing weapons, I realised - I don't actually know what any of these weapons sound like.

Know I know no-one else does really, but it kind of got me wondering. What do people imagine they sound like? For me, the bolter is the biggest problem. Being larger and more powerful than a conventional assault rifle, I kinda struggle to imagine how they'd differ. More throaty I guess?

The lasgun for me, is quite often described as a hiss, so I imagine it as the sound when a steak hits a hot pan.

Any thoughts? This question applies to any weapon in the 40k world.

Templar Ben
13-04-2008, 22:36
Hey guys. I was reading the Ultramarines Omnibus today and as I read the descriptions of firing weapons, I realised - I don't actually know what any of these weapons sound like.

Know I know no-one else does really, but it kind of got me wondering. What do people imagine they sound like? For me, the bolter is the biggest problem. Being larger and more powerful than a conventional assault rifle, I kinda struggle to imagine how they'd differ. More throaty I guess?

The lasgun for me, is quite often described as a hiss, so I imagine it as the sound when a steak hits a hot pan.

Any thoughts? This question applies to any weapon in the 40k world.

Bolters are mini rockets so it should sounds like a whoosh.

Neknoh
13-04-2008, 22:46
Bolters... difficult... very difficult. I would however imagine something like an Uzi sound what's with the appareantly low recoil etc.

Now, lasguns, I've imagined as cracks, somewhere in between a lightningstrike and a firecracker. You know, not just "bang" but more of a "kabrang"-ish sound... if that made any sense

recceboy
13-04-2008, 23:01
The Bolter sound might sound more like a .45cal "tommy gun" , deep and high powered. .......:)

shade_1313
13-04-2008, 23:07
a lascannon obviously sounds like "freeeem!" ;)

i'd imagine a bolter as sounding like the rocket pods on helicopters, when they fire one after another quickly, although they are described as "roaring", so perhaps lower pitched (although that makes no physical sense, the exhaust ports for the ammo being smaller than even the high pitched rocket pods...)

Logarithm Udgaur
13-04-2008, 23:13
I always imagine the Bolters sounding like the Mk.47 seen here (http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl23-e.htm). They sound sorta like a potato gun on automatic, sorta cru-crum-crum-crum-crump!
Lascannons, of course, go FRREEEEEEEEEEEM!

Burnthem
13-04-2008, 23:29
It would depend on where you're standing, a Bolt round would make a typical rocket sound as it went past you, but if you were the firer it would be the 'Bang-whoosh' noise.

Lasguns vary according to the source, but i prefer the 'Crack/Snap' noise, a mix of both the air immediatly in front of the muzzle being superheated and the Rapid Discharge Generator (3 Ed Rulebook) inside the Lasgun going off.

Latro_
14-04-2008, 00:03
hehe this thread has the potential to get very silly very quickly.
Surely there is a sound recording site somewhere for just such a need as this?

my google skills fail me.

lash of submission:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXvHRnGe940

TheDarkDuke
14-04-2008, 00:13
I think they sound like they sound in DoW.

catbarf
14-04-2008, 00:54
Bolters are mini rockets so it should sounds like a whoosh.

Rockets don't go 'whoosh'. Rockets launched using a conventional explosive launch do not go 'whoosh' either.

In the books, a las weapon produces a loud crack or snap when fired. A bolter is described as producing a very loud bark.

Avaron
14-04-2008, 01:05
All I am sure of is that Ork guns go DAKADAKA..some with more DAKA than others.

Varath- Lord Impaler
14-04-2008, 01:05
Anyone ever seen a movie when all the soldiers line up with muskets and then fire? Then run away so the next line can fire?

Thats the Lasgun to me.

*CRACK*

Xenobane
14-04-2008, 01:16
hehe this thread has the potential to get very silly very quickly.

lash of submission:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXvHRnGe940

No sooner than predicted, the thread takes a silly turn ;)

Why is it that you never see Barry White and a Daemon Prince in the same room at the same time? Could it be... :eek:

Templar Ben
14-04-2008, 01:34
Rockets don't go 'whoosh'. Rockets launched using a conventional explosive launch do not go 'whoosh' either.

In the books, a las weapon produces a loud crack or snap when fired. A bolter is described as producing a very loud bark.

How would you describe a rocket sound then? I know a 107mm sounds like a whoosh to me when it goes overhead and bolter rounds are much smaller.

SanDaru
14-04-2008, 05:49
From what I would imagine a Bolter would sounds like a really loud M14.

Las weaponry to me would sound like any of the laser blasts from Starwars.

Autocannons would be around the 20m cannon used in Svaing Private Ryan.

Plasma Weaponry would sound very fluffy mush like the plasma weapons from Halo.

The_Outsider
14-04-2008, 08:16
Check out Path of Tau (http://pathoftau.com/index.html) - they have a fair few sound effects for tau weaponry.

Spook101
14-04-2008, 08:31
Having to have something to start the propellant, and yet also being a mini rocket, i would think a bolter sounds more like a cross between a musket and that mortar twump, making a deeper sounding bang. This would be followed by a weak rocket propellant sound then followed by a bang like a hand grenade as it impacted/penetrated.

Snowfire
14-04-2008, 08:44
I read this somewhere on here:
Things I have learnt from playing 40k:
Lasguns go FWOOSH
Turbo lasers go TURBO-FWOOSH
Tanks go PIVOT when they turn
and everything else goes DAKKA

Pretty simple when you think about it.

Kaya
14-04-2008, 09:10
My husband actually enjoys it when I make sound effects while moving ships and firing weapons. hahaha

chaotic
14-04-2008, 09:16
buy or borrow the game "fire warrior" and it will let you hear for yourself

Moriarty
14-04-2008, 09:37
S'obvious, really.

Lascannon go 'Freem'

Lasguns go 'Crack'

Everything else goes 'Dakka dakka', 'cept big guns, that go 'DakKA.

Burnthem
14-04-2008, 10:19
Don't take Firewarrior or Star Wars as a good example of sound effects, Firewarrior had a few good ones i admit (Bolters) but Star Wars is probably the least science-based science fiction ever made, its more fantasy than fiction. Besides, Star Wars blaster fire plasma, not Lasers :P

Lasguns - 'Crack'
Bolters - 'Boom/Bark/Crump/Generic loud gun noise'
Lascannons - 'Freeeeeem'
Meltaguns - 'HHmmmmmmm...Ping!' ;)

Kyrolon
14-04-2008, 10:44
My vote for bolter sound goes to the aa-12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn02le8e0nQ

Dragonlv8
14-04-2008, 10:50
pew pew pew, I honestly have no idea, just lots of screams of agony from the enemy....

EldarWolf
14-04-2008, 10:57
Lasguns - 'Crack'
Bolters - 'Boom/Bark/Crump/Generic loud gun noise'
Lascannons - 'Freeeeeem'
Meltaguns - 'HHmmmmmmm...Ping!' ;)

Only 1 amendment, Lasgun - 'freeem'

:angel:

Bassik
14-04-2008, 11:32
These are my sound effects: :p

Lasgun: biew!
Lascannon: DZZZZZ.... BCHOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!
Bolters/sonic weapons: ehehehehehehehehehe!
Melta guns: dudududDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDU!!!!

Ordenance guns: "KABOOM!"
Missile launchers: FZZZZZ-POOG!
Plasma: Fzzt!
Flamethrower: FFFFFFFFGH!
Ang'graths whip: ker-pang!

Lame Duck
14-04-2008, 12:43
las: crack
lascannon: zzzeeeooofff
Bolters; DoohDoohDooh
melta: Khawooorgh

Burnthem
14-04-2008, 14:02
melta: Khawooorgh

:wtf: ?!?! Khawoorgh?!? I told you Meltaguns go 'Hummmmmmmmmm.....*Ping*', just like a Microwave :D

Fay_Redd
14-04-2008, 14:06
well if anyone remembers Fire Warrior on PS2 the bolter on there was pretty darn close to what i would expect, probably not as fast at firing as i would think but damned close, Las-guns. look to DOW (winter assault onwards) and the imperial guard, as far as im concerned the sounds of the las weapons on there are top-notch perfecto. and inkeeping with a few posters, Las-cannons = Freeem.

SilverScorpion
14-04-2008, 14:09
Assault Cannon: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrap! (one long sound for the entire burst)
Lascannon: Freeeeeeeeem
Turbolaser: Turbo-Freeeeeeeeeeem
Shoota: Dakka Dakka Dakka

FashaTheDog
14-04-2008, 14:32
Damn you Dragonlv8, I was going to say that the moment I read the title. Granted I also had an image of that picture of that cat (http://www.lolcats.com/images/u/07/31/lolcatsdotcomclrru77b0nle3vmx.jpg) the moment I thought of the sound.

If my faulty memory serves, there are a few descriptions of how a bolter sounds in the Horus Hersey novels.

Tom2
14-04-2008, 14:53
In a comic from Inferno the stormbolter sound is Budda-Budda-Budda. This doesnt mean to much to me since I am Dutch but maybe it helps for you.

=Angel=
14-04-2008, 14:59
In a comic from Inferno the stormbolter sound is Budda-Budda-Budda. This doesnt mean to much to me since I am Dutch but maybe you it helps for you.

heh, buddhist bolters. Sounds like image comics.

Imperial primer states that on full power, lasguns have a sharp resounding crack- while on low power a a distinct whine.

I'd hate to think that S3 is high power, so i'm gonna imagine that most of the time las guns are going 'freem freem' , pew pew pew or something to that effect.

Boltguns are frequently descibed as having a howling roar- something I would attribute to the self propelled bolt.

VikingThor
14-04-2008, 18:50
I agree with dragonlv8 and =angel=, all my guns go: pew pew.

The Guy
14-04-2008, 19:38
Why does everybody say lascannon go freem? surely as it's a larger lasgun it would go CRACK???
Boltguns go bark. Think of a BAR But much deeper.
Assault cannons go "fwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *whirl* fwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"
Plasma guns go "click...click...cli-cli-cli-clARGH! HOT!"

Partisan Rimmo
14-04-2008, 19:39
Bolters:

If you stand by the firer you will hear the loud and punchy barking noise of the initial propellant launched the shells and the sound of the secondary stage launching in the air. Since it's quite rapid fire, the effect would be intense, and the secondary stage in particular would be near deafening.

If shells are going past you (dangerous place to be) what you would mainly hear is the doppler whooshing of propellant launched shells screeching past you. I imagine they would hiss like when you've let the gas out of something.

If shells are hitting their target around you, you will hear the sound of your target being peppered with explosive warheads and blasted to pieces. Each individual blast will be loud enough to be a little painful maybe, but not shockwave as the blasts aren't you. They will be raining down on an area though, creating quite a chaotic effect.

If you fire a boltgun at point blank range then Christ, you are going to get quite a noise.
If all this sounds excessive, part of the design brief of a bolt gun is that it is a shock weapon, designed to stun and terrify. It's probably intentional a bit louder than it might need be.

Overall, I imagine them as sounding like a deeper, louder fire cracker. Dawn of War and Fire Warrior also both give reasonable guides as to someone else's interpritation, though in Fire Warrior the Chaos Boltgun you end up using most of the time makes a weird ethereal screeching. But, you know, when in Rome...

catbarf
14-04-2008, 20:12
How would you describe a rocket sound then? I know a 107mm sounds like a whoosh to me when it goes overhead and bolter rounds are much smaller.

From what I recall, the sound of an RPG-7 is more like an initial blast from the launching, followed by a loud, throaty roar as they fly through the air. Not really a little 'whoosh' like a home rocket. And since a bolter uses a conventional method of launching the projectile before the rocket motor ignites, it would sound like a very large gun being fired immediately followed by the rocket flying through the air.

Tehkonrad
15-04-2008, 00:21
lasgun: crack
shoota: dakkadakkadakka
Lascannon: Freeeeem
meltagun: whoosh glurble pop
nova cannon:WAZAAAAAAAMMMMM!!!

space_kitten
15-04-2008, 01:07
FREEEM! (http://tsoalr.com/comic.php?id=158&save-as=000047.gif)

Projectile weapons go dakka
plasma weapons sound like the UT shock rifle
rockets sound like sidewinder missiles...

Templar Ben
15-04-2008, 01:11
From what I recall, the sound of an RPG-7 is more like an initial blast from the launching, followed by a loud, throaty roar as they fly through the air. Not really a little 'whoosh' like a home rocket. And since a bolter uses a conventional method of launching the projectile before the rocket motor ignites, it would sound like a very large gun being fired immediately followed by the rocket flying through the air.

I am thinking that "whoosh" in my head and "whoosh" in your head sound differently. When is Warseer going to upgrade to voice forums? ;)

Lame Duck
15-04-2008, 01:20
:wtf: ?!?! Khawoorgh?!? I told you Meltaguns go 'Hummmmmmmmmm.....*Ping*', just like a Microwave :D

You obviously havnt used my microwave then...:wtf:

As for the rocket/missile sound...not so much 'woosh' as 'sheeeww' but imagine those 300 spartans hollering it, not tom and jerry.......what?

We could put all of these in some kind of dictionary methinks.

Logarithm Udgaur
15-04-2008, 03:18
I am thinking that "whoosh" in my head and "whoosh" in your head sound differently. When is Warseer going to upgrade to voice forums? ;)
I really do not want to hear how geeky we all sound.

macattac
15-04-2008, 04:03
lasguns, lascannons, and any thing else las imo, would be a crack as the air around the laser beam becomes superheated, rapidly expanding. kinda how lightning makes thunder. for autocannons I think of the old ww2 anty air guns on big battle cruisers on the north pacific:p. as for melta waeapons, hehe, think of the sound the nuke made, only with a strong hiss and a sizile.

Dr.Clock
15-04-2008, 07:23
...pew-pew!

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

p.s. seriously, though? I'll admit to walking around campus and visualizing marines on the library and deciding where the best defensive positions on it would be. Or seeing SM scouts lurking on the corner before being assaulted by striking scorpions. Or thinking about what it would be like if a column of Eldar tanks came over the cliff at home. Or pretending I had a shuriken catapult and shooting it at passing cars. I wish I had a bolter...

Luisjoey
15-04-2008, 07:30
Guys play dawn of war to see the weapons sounds :D

Sephtar II
15-04-2008, 08:13
Lasgun: pew pew pew pew pew pew
Las pistol: tew tew
Lascannon: FREEM!
Bolter: dum dum dum (you ever play starcraft? the guy in the cutscene on the space station with a semi auto big blasty pistol thing. that noise)
Heavy bolter: Duvduvduvduvduv
Flamer: Fwffffffffff
Plasma gun: FEEEEEEEWWWWwwww hiss
Melta:fffffffffffffpop pop
Shruiken weapons: ft ft ft ft ft ft ft
Bright lance: Tsim (kinda like flicking a crystal wine glass)
Vibro-cannon: Wununununununununuuunnnnuuuuunnnnnuuuuu
D-Cannon: Shkeeerrwww tseashrearnnnnnn(thats what a warp rift sound like:))
Scatter laser: vip vip vip vip vip vip vip
Rail-gun: zip BOOM

Just a few suggestions :D

KaldCB
15-04-2008, 08:14
lascannons go "freeeeem"

Trogdor
15-04-2008, 11:04
For the record, I think the most appropriate noise for the lasgun would be 'plib'. Or maybe 'zwip'.

dblaz3r
15-04-2008, 11:07
I'm in the pew pew club :)
Was that 'plib or 'pleb' for the lasgun? :p

Tommygun
15-04-2008, 11:23
Shokk Attack Gun goes: "Let me Out! Let Me Out!"

Snowfire
15-04-2008, 11:44
Shokk Attack Gun goes: "Let me Out! Let Me Out!"

+1 Internet to you sir

Trogdor
15-04-2008, 11:56
'plib' for the lasgun. I'll keep 'pleb' for myself, ta! :)
Tyranid weapons, anyone? I'm for 'splort' myself.

Arch-Traitor Horus
15-04-2008, 12:09
Plasma guns go "click...click...cli-cli-cli-clARGH! HOT!"

lol That made my laugh alot

I imagine a Bolter Firing like the BAR in Call of duty 1 on slow fire mode

buzzkill
15-04-2008, 21:14
this is the best laser sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I49A09-o9ls&feature=related