PDA

View Full Version : Will we see any more new (unique) Armys?

Triceron
14-04-2008, 02:56
So it's been roughly 3 years since Ogre Kingdoms, the latest 'new' race in WFB. Now we have the coming of the new Daemons of Chaos. While the Daemons listing is going to be a welcome addition, it's another splinter faction off chaos.

When will we see another true fantasy, historic or cultural archetype that hasn't been fully explored yet? There's so much potential with WFB, I don't see why we're seeing more splinter factions rather than something fresh and new. I can't see it being a problem of running out of ideas or anything, there's a lot of great mythology that hasn't been fully explored yet.

As a non-TT fan of WFB, I'm drawn in by the miniatures and backstory given to all the races in WFB. Classic fantasy races are given a cultural twist to make things interesting. We have the English/French Arthur-esque knights in Brettonians, Mongolian nomads in the Ogres, Mayan/Aztec influenced Lizardmen, Egyptian Tomb Kings. There are still many cultures not fully explored yet, and it pains me to see GW create another army list out of Chaos instead of taking an initiative in a new faction.

One culture I'd really like to see explored is a fantasy-based Persian empire, something tied into fantasy elements too not just as a human-centric race from the middle-east. There are a lot of fantasy archetypes that haven't been explored in WFB as well, like Elementals, Centaurs and Shape-shifters.

While I know GW won't stop adding to their growing universe, they develop and release new armies only once every two or three years, and it's a bit disappointing to see more of the same after waiting for 3 years. I really hope they have something fresh being developed behind the scenes.

Brother Siccarius
14-04-2008, 02:58
probably not till Chaos Dwarfs at the unnamed, unexplained and unknown time of "Later".

Gorbad Ironclaw
14-04-2008, 03:04
Likely not for a long time. It's already a problem getting around to update every army, not to mention redoing models and even more important, having the space to keep all those boxes and blisters on the shelves in shops. There isn't really room for loads of new additions. It's also a case of having to find a niche for any new army. If it's the same as a previous army why go through all the trouble.

][nquist0r
14-04-2008, 03:07
I would like them to explore a Minos concept. Seriously. Minotaurs rule! (But can I get a different hero please? Doombulls suck!!)

Orcboy_Phil
14-04-2008, 03:13
Centaurs used to be part of Chaos and there have been several other centaur like races in the fantasy universe in the past such as the Zoats and the Bull and Boar centaurs of the Chaos Dwarfs. Shape shifters of a sort are also to be seen in the Regiment of Renown known as Beorg Bearstruck and the Bearmen of Oslo which features a werebear, also werewolves where featured in an old norse army list in Citidel journal. Elementals where featured in WFRP so where also proberly in 3rd ed as well.

brassangel
14-04-2008, 03:17
I think it's a bit of a fluff issue too. The nations of the known world in Warhammer are pretty defined, and no matter how large a campaign, or no matter how much land gets conquered or destroyed (*cough* Storm of Chaos *cough*), the borders simply don't change. Also, just because there could be other creature and/or human types, it doesn't necessarily mean that there has to be an entire standing army for them. The fact that so many races all vie for equal power is already far less realistic than a normal fantasy setting; or in say, an entire galaxy full of races (ie: 40k universe).

With several armies needing updates, it's difficult for GW to release everything before it's time for a new edition as it is. I couldn't imagine now that Beasts of Chaos, Hordes of Chaos, and Demons of Chaos are all separate that adding another new army would do the game much good. Especially since other "new" ones like Tomb Kings kind of need updates as well.

TheDarkDuke
14-04-2008, 03:17
Not for quite some time, as the reason they made Ogres was to make an army that was unique which was an army of large models... Ogres were already a popular fantasy idea and they formed a list around them. CD will not be revived as Army Chaos Dwarves. I will say it now, they will be apart of the Hoards of Chaos book, you will probably see IMO a unit of Chaos Dwarves as Special, and the Hell Cannon will be Rare.

Their really isn't anything really new they can add to make a fully new army, as there are multiple of everything now. Really maybe only a Pikeman style army, but it would still need to be heavily supported by Cav, Cannons, or Magic which is already well covered... so I don't see that happening.

I think what we will really see is expanding of current army books/new models. Eg: Look at the last couple of Army Books:

Daemons: Well they will bring a bunch of new units to the game.

Vampire Counts: Introduced Vargulf, Corpse Cart. Two new things that expanded the list, rather then creating a more necromaner or werewolf army.

High Elf: Multiple Dragons, Lion Chariots. Adds more beast to the warhammer range.

Empire: Brought a bunch of wacky guns and contraptions into warhammer.

Orcs and Goblins: Expansion of Goblins with spider riders, and trolls.

Dwarf: Ok nothing new... but now we are going back aways lol.

Wood Elf: Added a bit more to the "trees" created several new units to the list.

Ogre Kingdoms: Well an entirely new army. That could only maybe get the same feel from an all Minotaur army... but really something completely new.

See what I mean... adding to new books to "expand" the world rather then full armies of repeat units across a whole new range.

Damocles8
14-04-2008, 03:43
I would love to see Cathay and Nippon books....

stevebrown
14-04-2008, 04:01
Ogres were not new race, they have been around forever. Just new models and a few rule changes, I liked the old puffy sleeved Empire ogres best, but the old farm boy looking ones were not too bad either. The Nasty armored ones were also a treat and you used to be able to field them as part of your empire army, Ohhhhhhh I miss the gold old days I want my lead figures and my bits back. steveb

decker_cky
14-04-2008, 04:10
I heard fishmen were back into development...

Varath- Lord Impaler
14-04-2008, 04:32
Ive been wanting Chaos Dwarfs to have a Persian Empire feel. With lots of cheap sacrificial troops in the form of Goblins with Bows, spears and shields. Then Heavy Infantry Chaos Dwarfs with more 'undwarfish' weapons like Spears and Swords.

That would be so cool

][nquist0r
14-04-2008, 04:47
I think it's a bit of a fluff issue too. The nations of the known world in Warhammer are pretty defined, and no matter how large a campaign, or no matter how much land gets conquered or destroyed (*cough* Storm of Chaos *cough*), the borders simply don't change.

Southern Chaos wastes *cough cough* I mean seriously... THAR BE DAEMONS HERE?! Yeah sure, and whatever else GW can sell...

Triceron
14-04-2008, 05:48
I agree with the notion that the more GW adds, the more they would have to update. But let's put one thing into perspective here, they're adding Daemons of Chaos. Even though this is a splinter faction off Chaos, it's just as diverse as Beasts of Chaos is to standard Hordes of Chaos. The entire book and army would need to be revised every time a full on revision comes into play, just like how Undead need to be revised twice, once for Vampire Counts and again for Tomb Kings. They might as well create something new and befitting the universe, drawing from sources that exist yet are not explored.

As for the person who sourced that Centaurs and Elementals exist in WFB, I know they do, but they don't have a lot of representation in either the TT or the Mythos. It's worse than the treatment of Werewolves, which are a classic fantasy staple that GW seems to shy away from for some unknown (to me) reasons.

Running with the Persian idea, I agree that Chaos Dwarves would be fitting. As for the idea of a Pikeman-based army, maybe if the Persian-based race could be based on cats. Half-cat humanoids wielding pikes, like the Sabrecats in Diablo 2. This could tie in more with other mythological beasts like the Sphinx, or Rakshasas. Optional variations could include Tiger-esque/Indian variations, or Lion-esque/North African variation. I just don't want to see another Human-centric race centering on another civilization like with Kislev and Tilea. Persian mythology can encompass many cultures, including Egyptian and Indian. Adding more fantasy element, they could have Djinn servants, and use classic magic carpets or Rocs for air units.

This is is just an idea to show that there isn't a big void of potential. Every new army GW adds still affects their updates regardless of whether they are unique or not, I just don't see why these new armies they're coming out with have to be rehashes of the same thing.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
14-04-2008, 09:48
[nquist0r;2521937']Southern Chaos wastes *cough cough* I mean seriously... THAR BE DAEMONS HERE?! Yeah sure, and whatever else GW can sell...

that has been the current situation for the last 20 years, the whole region is unexplored and its doubtfull they ever will be

a new chaos dwarf army would be great to see and not as part of a bad chaos army cobbeled together

Lordsaradain
14-04-2008, 09:57
I doubt there will be any new armies anytime soon. Chaos demons isnt a new army, it's just a spiltup of the 6th edition chaos(or going back to the way it was in the 5th?). Chaos dwarves might be coming back, but then again, tehy wouldn't be a new army either, would they? Instead, I think they'll continue updating the current armies with more choices.

the_raptor
14-04-2008, 10:28
GW mainly bases armies off the fluff, which is why Chaos are getting preference over a new race. The Daemons book is hardly new either, all they are doing is splitting it off from mortals and giving daemons the emphasis they had in previous versions. The only two major forces that aren't present in the current rules are Cathay and Ind (Tilea is indirectly covered by Dogs of War). And they make Cathay out to be so powerful that it would be hard to get them involved in the Old World without screwing with the background.

We don't need new races to have new game play, they just need to refine some of the current armies to be more true to their fluff (*cough*empire halberdiers*cough*).

And GW have stated that they aren't adding new armies unless they intend to fully support them. In previous years they would add armies and drop or poorly support them between editions.

2d6
14-04-2008, 13:14
GW mainly bases armies off the fluff, which is why Chaos are getting preference over a new race.

The reason chaos get more books, and more frequently updated books than other races is because historically they've always been the best selling army

I heard a rumour a while back that GW wanted to get rid of 3 fantasy races in an effort to reduce quantities of redundant stock. If this were to happen which 3 do you think would go.
I'd say bret, TK, BoC (consolidated into hordes)

Not sure as to the source of the rumour, or that this is likely, releasing a seperate demon list certainly seems to be against the idea.

Ipeninrod
14-04-2008, 14:06
1 word Halflings!
2 words Albion Army!
3 words Lets go East!
4 words Bring Back Chaos Dwarves!

Ipeninrod
14-04-2008, 14:07
Oh I forgot my Question. What are the best selling armies? Facts not Guesses.

explorator
14-04-2008, 15:06

GW does not release that information to the public, so guesses/deductions are the only thing you will get.

Leogun_91
14-04-2008, 16:22
1 word Halflings!
2 words Albion Army!
3 words Lets go East!
4 words Bring Back Chaos Dwarves!
5 words There Are No Chaos Dwarves
I agree on the first 3 statements however.

And I donīt really see the "Not another human realm argument" as humans hardly dominates armybook wise they have more than some but they tie with undead while elves and Chaos have more (chaos will soon).

For non human armys we have halflings, mere-goblins and apemen who all are mentioned in armybooks.

Borzoni
14-04-2008, 17:00
I would love to see a spartan army.

Was always going to try and build a unit using chaos mauraders but struggled to find decent shields.

Characters like Archillies would be superb. And no doubt popular

Triceron
14-04-2008, 20:02
Maybe we could see an army list of Spartan Centaurs. Large units like Ogres with huge tower shields and long pikes, and horse-hair helms.

Goldenwolf
15-04-2008, 01:16
Well from various rumors I've heard:
(1) an Eastern army will appear(whether Cathay, Nippon, Araby or India is debated), or not
(2) The Chaos Dwarves are being eliminated or get a book in 2010
(3) Dogs of war are being eliminated as they are just broken, or they'll just redo the rules of some of them and add them as a choice to 1 or 2 armies.

I hope this clears everything up LOL

TheDarkDuke
15-04-2008, 01:31

Have not seen one in awhile, but I would say a year and a half ago... maybe it was 2 years ago... just after the Ogre release and before WE, the Canadian site had a pie chart of fantasy army sales based off of North America. Chaos and High Elf were the two highest, in % all races were in the 7-8% range other then WE at like 4% and CD at like 0.7% of sales... of coarse WE would have jumped up on par with the averages IMO with the new models. CD well have probably only dropped since they have no models on the shelves at all now.

Fantasy clearly is not 40k where Space Marines and their various codex consume like 50-70% of 40k sales.

DigbyWeapon
15-04-2008, 11:44
In my opinion I think there should be more attention payed to Nippon because they could make some really nice looking Japanese style looking models.
But it is true that they really do need to update quite a few books such as the dark elf and the beasts of chaos book. Maybe instead of a whole new army little things could be added to multiple armies at the same time and expand the hobby from there.

Digby

DigbyWeapon
15-04-2008, 11:48
Also halflings and yes, and Albion army which could be somewhat giant based but not majorly. Also....bring back zoats, and maybe make a wfb version of fimir.

Digby

theunwantedbeing
15-04-2008, 12:06
Cathay....army of ninja's
Nippon...army of samurai

Yawnfest. There's little reason to bring in another race of humans...sure there are 3 races of elves but so?
We've done all the interesting races men get to be....ninja's and samurai's have been used up in skaven and dark elves.
Amazons? lizardmen have that idea.
Assyrians? Chaos dwarves.
Romans! Tomb kings.(or they simply dont exist)
Chaos dwarves will evntualy reappear...eventually.
Nothing else really fits into fantasy anymore..you dont get armies of things like halflings or centaurs or minotaurs anymore.
Zoats....they were all eaten by tyrannids.
Fimir....they raped women to reporduce and lived in swaps as they were all men.

Also...daemons arent a new list in the slightest.

dcikgyurt
15-04-2008, 12:14
Half-cat humanoids wielding pikes, like the Sabrecats in Diablo 2. This could tie in more with other mythological beasts like the Sphinx, or Rakshasas. Optional variations could include Tiger-esque/Indian variations, or Lion-esque/North African variation.

They do exist already, they are mentioned in the Beasts of Chaos book. It explains in the fluff that the traditional "goat" beastmen are just the ones found in and around the old world. It mentions tiger-beastmen, along with an ape-beatsmen in the Southlands. If I had my army book to hand I would quote the page number (or maybe somebody with a copy to hand could do it for me :cool:).

The whole point of many of the army books is to give you rules for an army, how you model it is up to you. I've even seen a 4th Ed 40k Squat army. (Yes they do still exist). If you don't like the races mentioned in the current army books then pick an army boom you like and model it differently, if you have a good background and don't contradict GW then the Fluff-Nazis can't really complain.

Triceron
15-04-2008, 17:49
They do exist already, they are mentioned in the Beasts of Chaos book. It explains in the fluff that the traditional "goat" beastmen are just the ones found in and around the old world. It mentions tiger-beastmen, along with an ape-beatsmen in the Southlands.

Well that's simply cramming in all "beast" possibilities into one aspect of Chaos, having them cover every possible mutation of animal/human hybrid. It's a lazy excuse or fallback reason for not exploring the option further. I mean put it this way, without the fluff about the Old Ones, Lizardmen could easily be taken as 'chaos beastmen of Lustria'. Chaos is a very static faction. It's pure evil and chaos, and it engulfs whatever previous religions those people had and replaces it with the worship of chaos gods. What I'm asking for is a culturally rich new race that isn't just human-centric, or chaos-centric.

I mean what if we had this Cat-people race that had existed before Chaos became spread out in the east. Maybe we could have Humans who have been given 'gifts' by their gods and deities to change shape, and when chaos came around the mid-east some of these people were forever changed, mutated into their forms rather than having control. The shape-shifters would be the Persian influenced new race, and the Chaos subfaction are the ones covered in Chaos fluff, so it's not retconning nor tying this new race directly to Chaos.

But again, I'm just sticking to this one example for the sake of debate. I don't think a snippit like Chaos having Cat-people or Skaven utilizing Ninjitsu automatically nulls any chance of having entire races based on these elements, when the complete opposite is happening now where GW is splintering entire races off elements of established races! Case in point, Tomb Kings, Ogre Kingdoms and Daemons of Chaos. The problem is the latest one, Daemons of Chaos, does not explore any new cultures, which is my biggest beef.

WarSmith7
15-04-2008, 18:17
I have a few Ideas.

An army of Native american themed birdmen as an army. Would have some sort of short ranged flight (10') armywide rule.

An army of Insect like humanoids who come from far off island, could have a very greek/ spartan like theme, complete with bone and bristle crests to denote champions. Magic item lists would function like dwarf runes, with a "build your own" theme where heros could take various royal jellies to upgrade themselves or pheremones to affect units they join.

An army of aquatic chaos-fused monstrosities from the depths, could be the new bane of Ulthan (sp?) and the empire. Thats all I really have for these guys.

Of course, ya know, GW could wise up and adopt the PP approach and release armywide updates in various book supplements. Releasing a few units for each army every 6 months. One army missing somthing serious? Bam, new unit to compensate. Cool theme being missed out on or just a fluff mentioned unit never explored, Bam, new unit... Best approach by far.

ReveredChaplainDrake
15-04-2008, 19:01
Well that's simply cramming in all "beast" possibilities into one aspect of Chaos, having them cover every possible mutation of animal/human hybrid. It's a lazy excuse or fallback reason for not exploring the option further. I mean put it this way, without the fluff about the Old Ones, Lizardmen could easily be taken as 'chaos beastmen of Lustria'. Chaos is a very static faction. It's pure evil and chaos, and it engulfs whatever previous religions those people had and replaces it with the worship of chaos gods. What I'm asking for is a culturally rich new race that isn't just human-centric, or chaos-centric.

I've pitched around an idea of "Rock Elves". They live in the mountains, and instead of using arrows, they use gunpowder-type weapons to defend their underground keeps. However, they're not as cultural, rich, or tall as the other Elf breeds, but they do have long beards and short fuses. Plus, for their gameplay special rules, they always get a free hill in all Pitched Battles they play in.

Oh, wait...

Damocles8
15-04-2008, 19:27
Cathay....army of ninja's
Nippon...army of samurai

errr....do you know anything about history? Ninja's and samurai both came from Japan (Nippon)

Cathay would probably be similar to Empire, but with less (or more) powerful/reliable gunpowder units and better overral martial skill.

Nippon would be Feudal Japan (Samurai and ninjas, and Asagi spearmen)

the_raptor
15-04-2008, 22:15
What I'm asking for is a culturally rich new race that isn't just human-centric, or chaos-centric.

Then stop playing Warhammer or pay attention to the fluff. Warhammer is about the Human/Chaos fight (with Orcs thrown in). The older races had their time and have been dying out for hundreds of years. Introducing significant non-human races that aren't central to the impending Human/Chaos Armageddon just doesn't fit the thematic base of the whole setting (especially if they don't add new army styles). And sorry but armies that rip off historic human cultures (usually extremely stereotypically) is not "culturally rich" and really adds nothing to the setting.

Write your fluff and build your army of Persian cat-men (I thought you were sick of human-centric armies?), and people will comment on your cool army. Or just read about the real Persian empire, which is probably a much more interesting subject then the coverage that GW would give it.

the_raptor
15-04-2008, 22:17
Of course, ya know, GW could wise up and adopt the PP approach and release armywide updates in various book supplements. Releasing a few units for each army every 6 months. One army missing somthing serious? Bam, new unit to compensate. Cool theme being missed out on or just a fluff mentioned unit never explored, Bam, new unit... Best approach by far.

Right, because everyone would love to be forced to buy new books and units every six months to stay competitive. PP do not make the same kind of game as Warhammer, they also do not have 25 years of fluff which people expect to be followed and supported into the future.

Wise Guy Sam
15-04-2008, 22:37
Eh as a Skaven player I object to an army of cat-men....

Anywho I love the idea of Cathay ect but I think these Human based armies would be far better for (almost) everyone in a brand new DoW armybook. Maybe even more then 1 or 2 units, the better races could be a bit like Kislev.

Triceron
15-04-2008, 22:48
Then stop playing Warhammer or pay attention to the fluff. Warhammer is about the Human/Chaos fight (with Orcs thrown in). The older races had their time and have been dying out for hundreds of years. Introducing significant non-human races that aren't central to the impending Human/Chaos Armageddon just doesn't fit the thematic base of the whole setting (especially if they don't add new army styles). And sorry but armies that rip off historic human cultures (usually extremely stereotypically) is not "culturally rich" and really adds nothing to the setting.

Write your fluff and build your army of Persian cat-men (I thought you were sick of human-centric armies?), and people will comment on your cool army. Or just read about the real Persian empire, which is probably a much more interesting subject then the coverage that GW would give it.

The fight between Order and Chaos has nothing to do with adding a new race. What do Lizardmen, Ogre Kingdoms and Tomb Kings have to relate to Armageddon in their army books? Chaos plays as much part as their relationship with any other race.

When I say Human-centric armies, I'm talking about Humans. I don't consider Skaven, Lizardmen or any other animal hybrids Human. Mortal Chaos warriors, Brettonians, the Empire and its subfactions (Kislevites, Tileans, Sultans of Araby) are human. From what fluff mentions, there is little talk about any other kinds of sentient races in the east other than humans and mythical beasts. I'd like to see this explored, is that too hard for you to comprehend? Does the idea of something new offend you in some way?

What about like someone else's suggested, an Insect/Arachnoid themed race (that isn't just a Tyranid mirror), or maybe an elemental race of sentient golems, awakened from slumber by Dwarves. What about drawing some Lovecraftian (non Chaos) ancient horrors, like Mindflayers/Illithid? There's so much mainstream fantasy has included over the years that Warhammer has not yet incorporated. Nit picking at every suggestion I have is a moot point. Ultimately I'm advocating the idea of expanding the mythos rather than recontaining and rehashing what we've already seen.

txamil
15-04-2008, 23:51
Eh as a Skaven player I object to an army of cat-men....

That's good.

theunwantedbeing
16-04-2008, 01:24
errr....do you know anything about history? Ninja's and samurai both came from Japan (Nippon)

Cathay would probably be similar to Empire, but with less (or more) powerful/reliable gunpowder units and better overral martial skill.

Nippon would be Feudal Japan (Samurai and ninjas, and Asagi spearmen)

Dont know nor care about ninja's and samurai personally.
Im not an 8-13 year old boy who has just discovered it so find it incredibly uninteresting.

Cathay by the sounds of it simply has no reaosn to exist...it brings NOTHING to the game. Yay lower leadership less tough dwarves *yawn*.
Nippon adds a lot more but we have all those things in the elven and skaven armies...again it adds nothing to the game and in unfathomably boring.

Now a pirate army...far better.
And yes for the record Pirates > ninja's
Although wizards > pirates as they have magic....but they do wear silly capes.

WarSmith7
16-04-2008, 02:22
What about like someone else's suggested, an Insect/Arachnoid themed race (that isn't just a Tyranid mirror),

I was thinking more of a highly organized army, rather than a horde r endless swarm. the core would be Ant-men like Drones and Warriors (or Soldiers). The Specials would be things like Stag beetle riders, Eilte winged warriors, ranged spine throwers, etc. and rares could have massive spider and scorpion murauders and assassins. Heros would have to have moth-man casters with big fuzzy antenna (which would help feel the winds of magic) I dunno, I think visuals before I think about game mechanics.

or maybe an elemental race of sentient golems, awakened from slumber by Dwarves.

I think if any army could do the golem theme, its the chaos dwarfs.

What about drawing some Lovecraftian (non Chaos) ancient horrors, like Mindflayers/Illithid? There's so much mainstream fantasy has included over the years that Warhammer has not yet incorporated. Nit picking at every suggestion I have is a moot point. Ultimately I'm advocating the idea of expanding the mythos rather than recontaining and rehashing what we've already seen

Nah, i'm in full agreement with the concept, but much like the skaven, I just figured that this new terror of the deep ones could have a familiar origin.

Grimstonefire
16-04-2008, 20:20
First I'd like to see CD. If GW intend to release one new army per edition, my 8th ed wish list would be a fantasy equivalent of Tyranids (bug armies living underground).

WarSmith7
16-04-2008, 21:16
First I'd like to see CD

Who wouldn't?

Ipeninrod
17-04-2008, 04:06
Doh I forgot about Kislev. That should be an army onto itself. Should make it fairly decent and diverse from the fluff but match up poorly against Chaos.lol.

explorator
17-04-2008, 14:51
First I'd like to see CD. If GW intend to release one new army per edition, my 8th ed wish list would be a fantasy equivalent of Tyranids (bug armies living underground).

Just say no to Chaos Dwarfs. 'Nids is Fantasy? Nah. Skaven and Night Goblins kind of have the living underground thing covered.

I still like the Mongol Hobgoblin idea, which might help bridge the (geographical) gap between East and West. Hobgoblins are not unique, but then niether were Ogres, who have been part of GW lore for many years.

Triceron
17-04-2008, 18:20
Don't Ogres have some of that Mongol part covered?

And I kinda feel those Goblin dudes in the Ogre Kingdoms should've been Hobgoblins in the first place. They're not quite goblins, but they are...

Cap'n Facebeard
18-04-2008, 04:27
Now a pirate army...far better.
And yes for the record Pirates > ninja's

The most sensible statement in this entire thread.

mrtn
18-04-2008, 15:40
Don't Ogres have some of that Mongol part covered?

And I kinda feel those Goblin dudes in the Ogre Kingdoms should've been Hobgoblins in the first place. They're not quite goblins, but they are...The hobgoblins are busy either serving the chaos dwarves or ruling the steppes under Hobgobla Khan.

plantagenet
18-04-2008, 19:25
I would like to see a third undead book that concentrates on the Necromancers....

Perhaps this army could see some Werewolves... I know they are hinted at in other areas but really think overall they belong more in an undead setting. Just because they can I also think Werewolves should hate Vampires ....

Perhaps an army book in the style of the Kislev one?

Overall though I feel that once Choas Dwarfs are back that the need for new complete armies is probably unnecessary. It already takes 7 or 8 years to redevelop an army already.

Hence my personal preference would be to see smaller army books like the Kislev one that add additional models to an exsiting ranges to give a new twist or camapign packs or summer campaign scenarios that add some new models to all races.

soulcrusher
18-04-2008, 20:09
i think that the armys they have atm are fine, maybe chaos dwarves will come back ( who cares i certainly dont ) and if there are other human empires dotted around the place then who do they fight? nomad ogres?

it would be best to stop updating current armys because as soon as i finish my space marines they will be getting re - released and should work on making heroes / allies better.

spartans sound good but whats the point? there fearsome in combat but have no cavalry ( they wernt introduced into greece until after the persian wars ) and no war machines , they would be useless to

Lord Raneus
18-04-2008, 20:40
Well, there's already Araby miniatures....for Warmaster!
This leads me to hope that we will see a WHFB Araby army before too long.

What I'd really like would be an Ancient-Greece style army with the core being slow-moving, elite, and heavily armored hoplite phalanxes, supported by a myriad of mythical creatures, ranging from Medusi to Centaurs.

Also, a nice, easy way to get a "new" army of sorts would be to put Kislev as an armybook in its own right; maybe with the CD, GW? ;)