PDA

View Full Version : Tau Manta

murat27
14-04-2008, 10:16
Has anyone here bought and used Manta in their games of 40k?

I think it is a great model but the price and practicality of using it in a game seem to go against it.

Lugging a 12.5kg model around a table could soon get a bit annyoing and basing it so it is stable would seem pretty akward. It would be a bit soul destroying to see your several hundred Manta topple over and probably destroy a few hundred more of the models and crashed on.

Bregalad
14-04-2008, 10:20
The Epic Manta is a good alternative gamewise and moneywise, though still not cheap.

Deamon-forge
14-04-2008, 10:28
i was thinking of geting a manta last year, but in the end i could not bring my self around spending nearly 900 on a hunk of resin, but i will get one some day, maybe be when i come into a lot of money.

I would like to see a ll the parts you get in the manta, as all these people iv herd say "iv got a manta but no pictures?"

murat27
14-04-2008, 12:15
I like the Epic model as well. To be honest I think that 40k scale is not suitable for a Manta size flyer (I'm not convinced it is overly suitable for any fliers that are not done abstractly). But I felt when I used to play Epic (or Space Marine when I played it) that fliers worked quite well and felt appropriate for the battlefield and that the Manta looks like it would fit in.

It would be good to see what the kit looks like unbuilt. I can't imagine they have sold too many of them though. It seems to me more of a prestige model that you would buy just to have more than anything.

bringerofdecay
14-04-2008, 12:18
I like the Epic model as well. To be honest I think that 40k scale is not suitable for a Manta size flyer (I'm not convinced it is overly suitable for any fliers that are not done abstractly). But I felt when I used to play Epic (or Space Marine when I played it) that fliers worked quite well and felt appropriate for the battlefield and that the Manta looks like it would fit in.

It would be good to see what the kit looks like unbuilt. I can't imagine they have sold too many of them though. It seems to me more of a prestige model that you would buy just to have more than anything.

think they've sold 22 or something similar, they've probably made the money back at least

Killgore
14-04-2008, 13:04
I'v always thought a Manta could be constructed out of foamboard if you know what your doing with a hot wire cutter

create the basic shape then attach the numerous Ion cannons, railguns and burstguns :D

can probaly be made for less then 50

Mad King George
14-04-2008, 13:15
this guy at my local has a manta and i think 4 tiger sharks

chaos0xomega
14-04-2008, 18:24
If I had the money, part of me says I would buy a manta, the other part of me would rather scratchbuild, as the manta looks too small. Dont tell me other people haven't noticed? It looks to bulgy and unstreamlined, not the way it is depicted in the artwork.