PDA

View Full Version : Colleges of Magic Army, opinions?

Grey Seer Skretch
14-04-2008, 11:14
Morning! Hope all y'all reading this are having a nice day :D

I'm a total hopeless case for settling on one army, last week was contemplating dwarves but decided i'd get bored, and I think I have now settled on the concept of a heavily magic-themed Empire Army, based around the idea of a particularly powerful and influencial wizard and a number of his colleagues (one of whome WILL be called Rincewind...). The main unusual feature of the force will be a Level 4 Wizard as Lord choice (Gold...i think..the alchemisty guys) then 3 level 2s, 1 Bright (living arty), 1 Life (healy hippie goodness) and 1 of Light (calming soothing magic of glowy goodness).

So whats peoples take on this? Is it an oft' tried list? Or something a bit original? And would it really work?

Frankly
14-04-2008, 11:26
LoL I think thats a great idea.

Any ideas on what units your looking at.

Grey Seer Skretch
14-04-2008, 11:38
LoL I think thats a great idea.

Any ideas on what units your looking at.

Yeah, well I've got a vague notion of this wizard having quite a lot of political and financial pull, fluff-wise, so was going to have a couple of units of state-troops (25 swordsmen, 25 spearmen) each with a det of 10 halberds and a det of 5 handgunners, then I've got 8 knights anway who i'll use, along with 5 pistoliers, and back this up with one or two cannons, some scouting huntsmen (merc treasure hunters the wizard hires to gather info for him) and a goodwill pressie from Nuln, probly a hellblaster or rocket battery.

anarnii
14-04-2008, 16:50
if your planning on themeing this army heavily (and it seems like a good theme) try modelling the warmachines so there not just friends from nuln but insstead they are magical inventions.... so a helbalster could be a whirling system of crystals and pipes with a team of trainee wizards to operate it. Im sure there some good ideas out there in the vein of the lizardman machine of the gods, acts as a stonethrower but is a weird mechanism on top of a dinosaur which creates lightning strikes.

in the method of thinking, just look at what the rules are, igonore model and fluff, and think about what the rules could represent with other model and fluff. good potential for a really fluff and unique wizard army, good luck!

Von Wibble
14-04-2008, 17:54
To add to that, outriders could be mounted wizards with staffs pointed menacingly at the enemy....

Thematically it could be good if Rincewind got Aldred's Casket - to represent spells just coming into his head. Of course, flees 4d6, Ld2, -6 to cast, but casket works on a 2, 2+ ward, and luggage (counts as steam tank!) would then add to the flavour in friendly games! And something to represent an obsession with potatoes.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
15-04-2008, 03:38
it would be fun but it would suck if u miscasted... I should take a list with teclis and a dragon mage. That would be a hoot. ;) What kinds of troops would you take?

Lord_of_end_times
15-04-2008, 03:46
I love your idea man. When you get it together post some pics. One Love
-Gorka

Frankly
15-04-2008, 06:56
Yeah, well I've got a vague notion of this wizard having quite a lot of political and financial pull, fluff-wise, so was going to have a couple of units of state-troops (25 swordsmen, 25 spearmen) each with a det of 10 halberds and a det of 5 handgunners, then I've got 8 knights anway who i'll use, along with 5 pistoliers, and back this up with one or two cannons, some scouting huntsmen (merc treasure hunters the wizard hires to gather info for him) and a goodwill pressie from Nuln, probly a hellblaster or rocket battery.

Ideally game wise you'd most likely want to buy units of hand gunners to get H.Rifles to snipe off other mages so you can control both magic phases.

Grey Seer Skretch
15-04-2008, 09:58
ok, first off thankyou to all who have posted so far! :D wasn't expecting that level of feedback and its got me really excited and inspired, I love the ideas for the conversions to represent crazy magical devices...one thing that occurs is (heretical though it may be) the warmachine range has some lovely 'crazy alchemical steampunk' gubbins I could loot for conversions...any more ideas along those lines are v welcome lol! With regards to the miscast thing, I guess thats just part of the game, like when you go for a gunline you fear the artillery dice with a passion...tbh, a certain degree of 'random exploding wizard syndrome' is good for a giggle anyway so long as the game isn't too serious...

The Anarchist
15-04-2008, 22:27
I would advise some Greatswords, they can realy hold your line, they would make a realy great anchor. also might want 2 units of outriders, your army depends on dominating the magic phase, so you want to have something to remove any enemy magic users, thats what your fast cav are for.

also you will deffinatly want some special magic items, things such as volans ring, and the doomfire ring, something to just add to that crucial magic phase.