PDA

View Full Version : question about chaos gods

x-esiv-4c
14-04-2008, 13:54
Hello.
I was wondering what size Grandfather Nurgle was for example. I understand that spacial displacement isn't a constant in the warp. Are we talking about something the size of a warlord titan? Bigger perhaps?

Thanks.

-x4c

Kurisu313
14-04-2008, 14:13
*spits out tea*

excuse me, but what the hell are you planning to do with that information!?! :eek:

And Nurgle has no 'size', he's not a physical entity.

x-esiv-4c
14-04-2008, 14:14
So what's that thing on the front of "slaves of darkness" ( or that other book )? Just a vastly large unclean one?

EldarWolf
14-04-2008, 14:18
So what's that thing on the front of "slaves of darkness" ( or that other book )? Just a vastly large unclean one?

Yes. G/F Nurgle can't appear in the normal world.

Chaplain of Chaos
14-04-2008, 14:23
The Chaos gods can be as large or small as they like. They have no physical form that they are constrained too.

Neknoh
14-04-2008, 14:26
Indeed, think of it much like Greek Gods if you give them a manifestation in the physical realm. However, in the Warp, they are massive vortexes of pure emotion. So.. well.. any size really. And yes, the thing on the front of Slaves of Darkness is a Great Unclean one, and I'd say a "normal"-size at that.

tortoise
14-04-2008, 15:46
Its Lost and the Damned actually, but yeah, its just a GUO. You can tell because in the background there's more of them.

PondaNagura
14-04-2008, 15:49
the gods if they so wished it could stand right next to you, or even pluck a star from sky and fling it into oblivion...that is if they could enter the mortal plain.

honestly the ghostly apparitions in most of the chaos art, where there's a horde charging into battle, and you can kind of make out a vast entity floating around the horizon, barely in view, bu not quite aware of its size, to me; are represented as the chaos gods presence in the battle. massive, form, not quite within view, no definite detail or discernable features, with no way of actually of scaling them....and not quite physically there

Vault-Dweller
15-04-2008, 12:12
But we know that Nurgle looks like a little ugly toad compared to Gork and Mork.

AdmiralDick
15-04-2008, 14:06

well that depends on how big you thing a Greater Daemon should be. i'm under the impression that the rules and models found in GW works are for the smaller manifestations of GD, not the middle ones. the ones from ForgeWorld are a lot bigger, and the images that can be found in the current Hordes of Chaos book and the previous Codex: Chaos book depict them as being even bigger still.

G/F Nurgle can't appear in the normal world.

The Chaos gods can be as large or small as they like. They have no physical form that they are constrained too

Indeed the Chaos Gods have no physical shape and any description of them is basically hypothetical (if they did look like something they'd look like this). they do not enter the mortal realm directly, but can do so in part through their daemons, the the more powerful the manifestation of the GD the more it is just the patron, or the imaginary image of the patron. which is why in the art work from Realms of Chaos it is much harder to tell the difference between a greater daemon and the image of the God.

as others have pointed out the only 'real' thing about the Gods is that they are shapes fromed from the random sea of psychic energy that is the warp (not that that goes very far to being a defining them as 'real'). and whilst the Warp maps directly onto the galaxy, the distortion of time and space mean that there is no real way of judging size.

even if you could superimpose and image of the layout of the warp over the top of the real world, in an attempt to gauge size, we've never been told how big the vortexes that make up the gods are, just that they are the biggest thing in the warp. however, if we want to make a wild guess, and i really do mean wild, there are a couple of things to bear in mind. actual mass has an effect on the Warp, meaning the more massive an item is in real space the more it deforms the warp (which is one of the major reasons to have a Navigator, otherwise most trips would end with the spaceship re-entering the material universe inside a star that it was dragged towards). also 'souls' have an effect. so the more souls there are in a givern place, the more it will distort the warp. which means the heaviest objects in the galaxy (blackholes and galaxies) and heavily populated places (like Terra), would cause some pretty big disturbances, and if the Gods are the biggest things in the Warp, then they must have more of an impact than those things.

so if you wanted a 'size' based on influence, i would have to say that we are talking on the scale of stars if not much larger.

BaronDG
15-04-2008, 14:49
I think that in to old+ fluff every great unclean one was called Nurgle (apart from a personal daemonic name) and was a facsimile of Nurgle himself, in both appearance and personality!

syntax234
15-04-2008, 18:56
The Chaos gods can be as large or small as they like. They have no physical form that they are constrained too.

QFT. they can take on whatever form they wish. take Slaanesh for example. he can be female, male, androgynous or hermaphrodite. whatever he wishes or whatever will get the task at hand done

AdmiralDick
16-04-2008, 09:16
he can be female, male, androgynous or hermaphrodite. whatever he wishes or whatever will get the task at hand done

what i gruesome thought.

Armilthuan
16-04-2008, 09:42
as others have pointed out the only 'real' thing about the Gods is that they are shapes fromed from the random sea of psychic energy that is the warp (not that that goes very far to being a defining them as 'real'). and whilst the Warp maps directly onto the galaxy, the distortion of time and space mean that there is no real way of judging size.

Indeed. I've heard of a story where an Imperial Null ship passes through the warp. They pass an eye, an insanely large eye. The whole ship is dwarfed in size by that eye. The eye appeared to be that from a Greater Daemon. There are no contraints in the warp, only emotions.