PDA

View Full Version : The new zombiedragon

Mezziah
14-04-2008, 19:00
Hi all

I thought I'd start a thread on collecting all kind of different VC lists with zombie dragons.

How many of you have used it with the new rules? How did it work? What power/equipment did you have on your lord with it and so on...

The true reason to this thread is that I am currently converting a HE dragon to be my zombiedragon, I even think about using it at 2250p just because It's so damn cool :D

Looking forward to some answers and experience with the new beast :P

Andrew Luke
14-04-2008, 22:10
I have yet to see a viable tactic for a Zombie Dragon that a Varghulf couldn't do for a hell of a lot cheaper. Sounds like a fun little conversion. I would think it would make more sense to field as a true-uber character in a high points game tho...

Malorian
14-04-2008, 22:25
Zombie dragon can take away ranks, and a vargulf can't.

Don't use an uber character, just a simple one that has the blooddrinker to get the dragon it's wounds back.

I posted this some where else but this is how I would outfit the vampire:

-blood drinker
-flayed halbaurk (the 2+ save armor)
-book of vanhels
-dark acolyte

That's it! Keep it realitively cheap and go crazy. Fly to the flank/rear of the opponent and use the book to charge into him.

Darkangeldentist
14-04-2008, 22:33
The tactic I most want to try is Aura of dark majesty plus maybe infinite hatred (rider/mount psychology?) then flayed hauberk with a magic weapon (dreadlance/blood drinker).

Terror and break tests at -1 Ld. Should encourage some people to flee.

Still too expensive for 2000pts though.

SuperBeast
14-04-2008, 22:45
Personally prefer the abyssal terror for points, but one interesting point to note; the cloud of flies means that poison attacks don't affect it...
It's not -1 to hit, it's deduct 1 from to hit rolls - a very different beast as the former makes it harder to hit, the latter makes scoring a to-hit roll of a six impossible!

Mezziah
15-04-2008, 00:55
@Andrew: I can't really compare a zombiedragon to a Varghulf, mosly because of the difference between a single monster rare choice and a monstrous steed for a vampire lord.

@Malorian: Seems like a nice build... Mine was more expensive and was something like this:
-Nightshroud
-Balefire spike
-Book of Arkhan
-Crown of the damned
-Forbidden lore
-Red fury

I didn't buy any armour for the vampire mostly because shooting attacks only hit him on 5+ (because of his mount taking nearly everything) In close combat he gets to strike first even if he gets charged (except if the enemy wants to strike at the dragon).

He is expensive though, about 700p or so... But I find him fun so I just use another "cheap" vampire and a necromancer as my other char-slots to compensate for the high cost.

@Darkangeldentist: Seems like a nice combo but I would personally use it on a abyssal horror instead. Maybe that or even on a vampire mounted on a hellsteed with Skabscrath.

@Superbeast: Nice note. Didn't have a clue that the wording was like that but now that you mention it, it is! :P
That's quite nice indeed...