PDA

View Full Version : Saurus with spears

Farseer Lektalis
14-04-2008, 23:19
Recently at my local gaming group a question came up when a unit of chaos knights charged my saurus unit equipped with spears. The knights killed 4(most of the rank) leaving 11 left in the unit. The question came up when I tried to take my attacks back i counted my champ(3 attacks) and then 5 saurus from the second rank(5 attacks; 1 per saurus) for a total of 8 but my opponent said that i got 12 attacks(3 Champ attacks, 8 new front-rank saurus attacks, 1 back rank saurus attack) because the back rank moves forward to fill the spaces left by casualties thus giving them 2 attacks a piece.
In the end we rolled off (didn't have a rulebook on hand) and i got 8 attacks but i just want to clarify which way would be right for future knowledge. Thanks in advance for clearing this matter up.

SuperBeast
14-04-2008, 23:42
You were correct.
Models in b2b are killed first, even though they are 'removed' from the back of the unit.

Although, horrendously sporting of you opponent to suggest you got more attacks than you should have done!

Feefait
15-04-2008, 16:30
Yeah, dead models can't fight back. The others fill in after taking that turn to toss aside their friends bodies...

Yehoshua
15-04-2008, 17:00
Hm. What if it's a multi-combat. A Saurus block 5 wide and 4 deep with no champions is charged in the front and rear. If the Saurus took no wounds, they would have 15 attacks to the front and 10 to the rear.
However, if the Saurus take, say, 10 wounds from the rear charge, and none from the front . . . what happens? 10 from models in BtB split as the Lizard player wishes? Only the 5 spears to the front?

2d6
15-04-2008, 17:41
The best way to calculate is to work out who could have attacked at the start of the combat round, then deduct casualties from that number.

works the same if attacking at front and back, but guys killed by units at the front do not deduct attacks from the back, only guys killed by the back unit.

Lord_Ribbit
15-04-2008, 18:01
The real question is why do your Saurus have spears? ;)

- Lord Ribbit -

forthegloryofkazadekrund
15-04-2008, 18:19
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136996

try this

Braad
16-04-2008, 08:39
The real question is why do your Saurus have spears? ;)

- Lord Ribbit -

Because, if they get charged and about five of them die, then they still get a chance to attack. Trust me, it happens, for example when some nasty savage boar boyz find those pesky lizards in their charge path. Okay, I wiped out more then 10, so still not usefull... but that's not the point.

Tiamat
16-04-2008, 08:48
Recently at my local gaming group a question came up when a unit of chaos knights charged my saurus unit equipped with spears. The knights killed 4(most of the rank) leaving 11 left in the unit. The question came up when I tried to take my attacks back i counted my champ(3 attacks) and then 5 saurus from the second rank(5 attacks; 1 per saurus) for a total of 8 but my opponent said that i got 12 attacks(3 Champ attacks, 8 new front-rank saurus attacks, 1 back rank saurus attack) because the back rank moves forward to fill the spaces left by casualties thus giving them 2 attacks a piece.
In the end we rolled off (didn't have a rulebook on hand) and i got 8 attacks but i just want to clarify which way would be right for future knowledge. Thanks in advance for clearing this matter up.

That was very generous of your opponent, I wish more of the folk I faced were that kind.

Sadly though, when the front rank dies, nobody steps up to take their place until the next round of combat.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
16-04-2008, 09:11
if you read the thread i posted you will find out how its done, even if he wipes out the front rank you will still get the second rank to attack back

the beast way of doing it is (5x5 unit)

at the start of combat add up how many attacks you will get from both ranks, in this case 11 incl champ

deduct the number of casualties (lets say 4), so 4 dies leaving the champion and the second rank of 5 to strike back

if there was 8 casualties it would be then the champion and 1 from the 2nd rank

thats the way it seems to be otherwise spears/pikes are next to useless when you are charged unless you are an elf