PDA

View Full Version : Rhinos vs. Running

Battle-Brother Wags
15-04-2008, 00:00
What do most of you plan on doing for troop mobility in 5ed? Opt for cheap rhinos for a "guarenteed" 12" move the first turn or just have your guys literally run across the board?

I'm thinking of this in relation to my SW army that I haven't really used much since I realized they couldn't be very effective unless they were all drop pod or mechanized, neither of which styles really fit my desire for the army.

So do you think that spending the points that would be used for rhinos or other transports better be used on getting more boots on the ground to run across the board?

In the case of a rhino, you can get a couple basic SMs for a tradeoff. So if you only lose 2 guys on the march across the board per unit, its basically square.

Make sense, or no?

Halfpast_Yellow
15-04-2008, 00:27
Rhinos easily with loss of entanglement and stronger damage charts, not even a fair comparision. Though naturally there will be some overhype for the 'extra D6 inches & do-nothing' run rule. I am sure...

starlight
15-04-2008, 00:40
...or we could wait to see what the rules *actually* say...? :p

That's my plan. :p

intellectawe
15-04-2008, 00:58
...or we could wait to see what the rules *actually* say...? :p

That's my plan. :p

Or, we can actually discuss RUMORS here in this RUMOR forum.

Mad King George
15-04-2008, 01:13
i will always use rhino, because they draw fire protect my troops give me cover, give me cover if blown up ect ect

Joewrightgm
15-04-2008, 01:23
I play Dark Angels and Black Legion: I heart my 35 pt rhinos with smoke and spot lights.

I'll definitly be using them much more aggressively now with the new damage charts.

Mad King George
15-04-2008, 02:02
can you move your rhino 12"s jump out run into cover move int orhino next turn and move 12"s

AfroCelt
15-04-2008, 02:07
I know it's not the same, but I'll still be using my trukks come 5th ed :)

Kirasu
15-04-2008, 02:25
You can move 12" with rhino deploy 2" then run d6.. Is there really a discussion on which is superior?

12 + 2 + d6 > 6 + d6

Gerrok
15-04-2008, 02:41
I'd also like to add that rhinos also do more then transport your troops. Even a squad that hasn't embarked can use the rhino as cover, and you can park an empty rhino in front of a devastator squad if he ignores it. I don't think I'd buy a rhino for every squad in my army, but I think for the points 2-3 rhinos are well worth the cost (just don't buy extra armor).

Hellebore
15-04-2008, 03:14
You could drive a rhino up 12" and run the unit up behind it. The rhino protects them from shooting and the running moves them further forward.

Hellebore

Halfpast_Yellow
15-04-2008, 05:13
You could drive a rhino up 12" and run the unit up behind it. The rhino protects them from shooting and the running moves them further forward.

Hellebore

..Or you could just stay in the Rhino, not put you hands in the fate of rolling a good D6 roll, be protected from shooting, and have the choice to deploy behind it if it gets wrecked for cover from enemy shooting, and be in a far better position if the Rhino survives?

Seriously, there really isn't any comparison given the Rhino buffing.

Mandragola
15-04-2008, 08:56
Seriously, there really isn't any comparison given the Rhino buffing.

Agreed.

It's wrong to compare one turn's movement as well. Bear in mind that in the dawn of war scenario, one third of games, loads of your stuff will be in reserve miles from the action. You will really want a rhino to get there.

There's no rule that says a rhino always dies after moving 12". Not for people who remember 3rd edition anyway.

Odd_Motorbike_Guy
15-04-2008, 09:54
I'd be a Rhino man, in the absolute worst case scenario it's mobile, placeable terrain. Brilliant.

Battle-Brother Wags
15-04-2008, 12:56
Does the leaked PDF of the 5ed rules make it clear that you can run after disembarking, or is it just one of those things that it doesn't say one way or the other?

Drek
15-04-2008, 13:36
I play Dark Angels and Black Legion: I heart my 35 pt rhinos with smoke and spot lights.

This worked in 4th Edition but I think more people will be getting Extra Armor in 5th, which brings those Rhinos back up to 50 pts. Remember, in 5th Edition, you can not longer disembark if the vehicle is stunned.

Does the leaked PDF of the 5ed rules make it clear that you can run after disembarking, or is it just one of those things that it doesn't say one way or the other?

It says you can run instead of shooting. It says you can not move further then the 2" disembarkation move in the MOVEMENT phase if the vehicle moved. It says nothing about negating the Run rule in the disembarking rules so, I would take it that you can.

TheBigBadWolf
15-04-2008, 13:39
Or, we can actually discuss RUMORS here in this RUMOR forum.

not really rumour though is it, more like tactics

Battle-Brother Wags
15-04-2008, 14:34
not really rumour though is it, more like tactics

Tactics based on rumors :-)

Or in other words, should I paint my rhinos for use or let them sit on the shelf some more seeing as they won't be seeing the battlefield much . . .

OverchargeThis!
15-04-2008, 15:03
Wow. I hadn't considered disembark + run. I play blood angels, and their overcharged engines sound even better. I'm not sure what the ruling is on a transport moving 18" in terms of whether the squad inside can disembark. But if they can, 18" move + 2" disembark + D6" run lets you put lots of troops downrange in the enemy field very quickly.

Drek
15-04-2008, 15:08
Wow. I hadn't considered disembark + run. I play blood angels, and their overcharged engines sound even better. I'm not sure what the ruling is on a transport moving 18" in terms of whether the squad inside can disembark. But if they can, 18" move + 2" disembark + D6" run lets you put lots of troops downrange in the enemy field very quickly.

You can not disembark if the vehicle moved over 12"

Zanzibarthefirst
15-04-2008, 15:11
isnt the disembark and run arguement the same as the deep strike and fleet?

Dynamo
15-04-2008, 15:17
I'd say so. Makes perfect sense to me.

Zanzibarthefirst
15-04-2008, 15:25
and from the thread somewhere else, most people apart from the pedantics say after DS you cant move at all

craig1181
15-04-2008, 17:30
in a way im stuck on this one aswell, i have a BA army and my rhinos have the overcharged engines rule (4+ moves 18' but if you get a 1 you stall for the turn) which is good but obv a risk. so would it be easier to just drop my rhinos and take the troops?

craig1181

starlight
15-04-2008, 17:36
For the new cost of Rhinos, they simply aren't worth *not* taking. :) Far too many uses for the points...although I prefer Razorbacks, but that's me. :)

Drek
15-04-2008, 18:29
and from the thread somewhere else, most people apart from the pedantics say after DS you cant move at all

Actually, in the new DS Rules, it states specifically that you can run after DSing. It does say they can not move further in the movement phase but then goes on to say they can shoot normally or run.