PDA

View Full Version : Age of strife & unification stuff

lack0fbettername
15-04-2008, 03:02
what stuff would be present in a unification/slight post unification army?
What would there be alot of?
what would there be none of?

is there fluff on this time period?
if so i need help finding it

-lack0f

Hellebore
15-04-2008, 03:12
No proper power armour. The mkI Thunder armour 'marines' would probably best be represented by a 4+ armour save and S4 (partial augmentation).

The guard wouldn't have been in platoons (the Imperial Army didn't exist).

Most of what is described from that time is 'technobarbarian'. So I'd imagine skirmishing warriors carrying gunswords or polearms with weapons in them.

Hellebore

sabreu
15-04-2008, 03:44
We can examine Necromunda, a notable hive world within the 40k universe, and get an idea on how ancient Terra might have been during the Unification Wars. We know Terra was covered in hive cities and from the similar setting we can draw similarities between the gangers and the technobarbarians of the time. Due to the notable limited resources, the presence of long lost archeotech and intermittent hive wars (and probably entire warzones lost to nuclear/chemical fallout), it would be very similar to Necromunda until the Emperor got around to doing his thing.

PondaNagura
15-04-2008, 03:49
canon fluff? next to nothing.
there's a few mentions in one of the horus heresy novels.

i always recommend looking into other stories/movies from the same time as RT...like heavy metal comics/movie, madmax, dune, older hayao miyazaki films, wizards, highlander : the animated series. stuff like that.

yeah Mk1 armor was common amongst the armies of the techno-warlords. there were probably mutants among some of the population. some genetic modifications, but nothing as advanced or in number as what the Terrawatt clan (Emperor's) had.
probably bionic surgery was done for those who could muster the resources.
superstitious lots...some 'magic' (which could either be spellcasting, psyker powers or some forgotten techno-sorcerories)

most of the planet was a wasteland, poisoned by atomic wars and natural disasters.
then there was wars not only with those of earth, but i'm sure with mars itself for certain centuries.

Damage,Inc.
15-04-2008, 06:07
what stuff would be present in a unification/slight post unification army?
What would there be alot of?
what would there be none of?

is there fluff on this time period?
if so i need help finding it

-lack0f

I AM so glad that you asked! The Unification Wars have been an area of 40K fluff that I have found incredibly interesting and very vague. There is some fluff out there, if you can scour the net right and use older publications as well as BL books. Right now I am compiling the fluff that I can find into some sort of background on the state of Terra in the 28th millenium.

As for a Unification army- there were dozens of super warlords and probably hundreds of lesser souls. As the Age of Strife began and the Terran system was cut off from the colonies by warp storms, the old government of Terra collapsed into many warring city-states. Many of these are named in the HH books and give us a view of what the world looks like.

The first wars were fought the DAoT weapons and an atomic scourging took place. This isn';t stated specifically, but there is a lot of post-nuclear effects on the world including atmoic hurricanes. My guess is that rather than a Cold War end of the world strike, tactical nukes were used to destroy key installations and cities but left a lot of others unscathed. At any rate, the DAoT weapons did so much damage that by the second or third generation of warfare most of it was destroyed.

The populace of Terra began to starve without off world shipments of food and soon the wars were fought over food, water, and land to grow crops. As the nuclear winter grew worse people began to flock to the remaining city hives. Those that were left in the areas between major hives became the techno-barbarians: mad-max style refugees hunting remenants of useful tech and living off the bones of their once thriving culture.

Wars between the city-states were fierce, with millions of soldiers on each side (at least as recounted by a book read by Loken in the HH novels). As the wars raged on even ammunition became scarce and fighting often passed into hand to hand combat. This is where the first powered armor was used (although it may have dated from before this). Originally this armor was a powered carapace that made the wearer 300-400 times more strong in their upper body. Greaves and plated leggings were often worn with this but the exact designs varied as it was all produced locally at each city.

After a thousand years of war even the fuel for aircraft was running low and at one point the vast armadas of aircraft were grounded for good. During this period Mankind nearly lost the knowledge of flight (old WD article).

Cut to about the time the Emperor was rising in power: Terra was divided into quasi-empires where a warlord ruled over many city-states and hives. These men commanded armies millions strong and often waged wars of conquest with each other. Since resources are still scarce it is likely that most wars were fought to a standstill and a perpetual state of WWI happened with no one able to really overtake anyone else.

This is the time period where we find Kalagann of Ursh, Narthan Dume- the half mad half geious Tyrant of the Panpacific, Cardinal Tang, and others. Kalagann was said to be very brutal and also had psykers in his military. His generals fought a psychic war with the Nordyfric sorcerors. He also is said to have made use of mercenary filers so perhaps resources wer enot as tight as the had been. Dume's empire fought agains the Ydonsic Bloc, what I think is part of Malyasia.

Spaceflight was not lost but perhaps just took too many resources to do. Mars and Luna are said to have swayed with Terra for power in the Sol system, but no mention of war between them can be found. Perhaps Luna or Mars invaded Terra in the first place, sparking off the resource wars. Mars did send envoys to Terra around M27 but they were so appalled at the state of the planet that they deemed Terra hopeless and left. This was the time when Mars was sending out Explorator fleets to reach the stars, many with Titan legions aboard. These became Forgeworlds (fluff from Adeptus Titanicus).

Damage,Inc.
15-04-2008, 06:12
Interestingly it is said that the Emperor started his rise to power amongst the techno-barbarians. PErhaps we was hanging out in the in-between areas, staying away from the major urban centers and ended up recruiting the people that lived in the wastelands as his first soldiers.

"Legion" says that there were genetically modified warriors on Terra already- the Geno 5/2 Chiliad. Their abilities so impressed the Emperor that he began his own genetic research program in secret laboratories. The first genetically modified warrior from that program wore powered armor called Formative armor and whooped ass. After most of Terra was consolidated, He set about the Primarch project in Lab 9 under the Himalayas. From the work in that project He made the first Space Marines. So the warriors he conquered Terra with were not actualy marines, although as I understand it some of them made it into the Legions as well.