PDA

View Full Version : What units complement a double dragon list?

Brother Drakist
15-04-2008, 13:53
All,
Was wondering what your opinions might be on what units would work best with the following.

Archmage on Moon Dragon
Dragon Mage

2x10 Archers
2-3xRBT

The idea is to shoot up the enemy with Arrows and Magic. However I am finding it difficult to settle on what Special units would work with this setup. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ubertechie
15-04-2008, 14:03
Why not swap out the archers for sea guard - they shoot nearly as well plus with some of the banners they can have they can compliment your mages whilst providing protection to your rbt's. Then as specials why not lion chariots as they hit hard and are nice and maneuverable.

Marwynn
15-04-2008, 16:01
I would suggest some march blockers. IE) Ellyrian Reavers and an Eagle. You want to set them up for shots, to delay them and so on.

If you want to generate further mayhem, assuming you're using both of the mages you already have offensively, try a Noble with a Gem of Hoeth. With High Magic he can be a nuisance to cast Drain Magic to draw out dispels, or you can grab other spells that could be beneficial.

For instance, outfitting him like a Reaver with the Radiant Gem and giving him the first spell in the Life lore will allow him to really mess and slow down your enemies. And then they'll have a choice of dispelling that to get to your boys and deal with the magic phase or suffer your own magic phase.

Another unit to consider is the Phoenix Guard. Not very killy but they are tough dastards that cause Fear. Holding some in reserve would be a good idea.

I'd second the Sea Guard if they had Longbows...

Gralph!?!
15-04-2008, 19:19
seaguard are a good little unit to have, they have more potential to stop a unitdead in its tracks compared to archers (a bow is still a good weapon it just has a little shorter range)

a couple of small white lion units with the high strength strike first and stubborn will make them rather in valuable against those annoying units you want to hold up. if you use shadow magic or something that can make them cause fear then you are onto a winning unit. (10 strong with a possible full command) and also lion chariots are good support.

dragon princes will be rather useful since they will probably be one of your few units you want to use in a majorly offensive role. use them to be in thefront charge and the dragon mage to be in the flank so if your enemy has to choose what to do against you then you are still fine since you have 2 threatening units.

Marwynn
15-04-2008, 20:32
seaguard are a good little unit to have, they have more potential to stop a unitdead in its tracks compared to archers (a bow is still a good weapon it just has a little shorter range)

It is true that they are versatile but consider the following:

21 Lothern Sea Guard

vs
21 Spearelves
10 Archers

The difference is 26 points (or 1 point if we give the LSG full command). Now keep in mind that the LSG would either have a frontage of 5 or have to move out with a wider frontage and change formation on the move to rank up again.

With the second set up when the Spearelves get into combat the Archers still get to shoot at other targets.

It's definitely more expensive to go with the Spears and Archers but you have the flexibility of having 2 different units, one with longer range and ability to set up charges into your Spears.

He already does have 20 Archers though. So yeah adding some LSG would give you further arrows to shoot and acts as a nice fallback.

a couple of small white lion units with the high strength strike first and stubborn will make them rather in valuable against those annoying units you want to hold up. if you use shadow magic or something that can make them cause fear then you are onto a winning unit. (10 strong with a possible full command) and also lion chariots are good support.

dragon princes will be rather useful since they will probably be one of your few units you want to use in a majorly offensive role. use them to be in thefront charge and the dragon mage to be in the flank so if your enemy has to choose what to do against you then you are still fine since you have 2 threatening units.

Fear-inducing White Lions would rock! It's a strong spell to get out, requiring 3 PDs to do it successfully.

As a tie-in with your suggestion of Shadow lore you could also conceivably cast Unseen Lurker on the DPs.

Maybe your Archmage can tackle this. Give him the Seerstaff and have him pick those spells out, and especially Creeping Death.

Fear-causing Dragon Princes would also be something else.

shartmatau
15-04-2008, 20:56
I have been thinking about a two dragon army as well. Its difficult because the two dragons suck up so many points. I don't think it will be very useful in less than 3000pts. Its funny cause they made it possible to have two dragons in a 2000pt list but made it hard to play with the points you have left.
I agree that white lions would be useful and would go with 10 archers+20 spearmen over 20 sea guard. I think you will need the flexibility of two units and getting the most out of each rather than getting one unit that splits its use. I think reavers and will be most useful for their flanking when a dragon charges. A chariot could help alot when your blocks get charged and stuck in.
No matter what you do i think it will be a difficult army to play but fun. I mean dragons are one of the most fun things in this game, both game and modelwise. Cheers.