PDA

View Full Version : An effective elite army...

Wolfblade670
15-04-2008, 13:17
Ok, so I've been looking to get into playing Warhammer for awhile now, and I've decided I want to use a CC heavy elite army, preferably one that's easy to paint (I play Guard in 40k, so the one thing I don't need is another hoard army...).

I've been seriously considering both mortal Chaos and Dwarves (Though I can only afford one). Chaos would be Marauder and/or Warrior heavy, while with dwarves I was hoping to avoid a SAD list and instead focus on CC (I rather like the slayer list, but the Doomseakers are gone from the online store...). I've also wondered about the possibility of building a knight heavy VC list by taking two units of ten skellies as core and then globbing on the cav, but I'm not sure how viable that is. Any suggestions?

P.S. I don't like elves...

vinush
15-04-2008, 13:58
I abhor chaos in all its forms, and I think VC's are going to be (pardon the pun) done to death.

Go Dwarfs. The stunties are the bestest! (from your options at least)

\/ince

Solasun
15-04-2008, 14:00
Elite Heavy Infantry army?

Looked at Ogres at all? They fit the niche quite well.

<_< You';ll find you can make most anything work though. List building is of less importance in Fantasy, that's the movement phase. Although find something that can eat dragons.

Huw_Dawson
15-04-2008, 14:07
High Elves.

Everyone and their Granny is starting them, but if you're looking for a small yet elite army, you simply cannot go wrong with them.

Or DE in three months.

- Huw

Cartoon
15-04-2008, 14:30
I'm building an all mounted Slaanesh mortals list, and while I haven't played it, it sure is a lot of fun to put together. :cool: I love the Slaanesh lord model, and as a bonus I've heard that mounted chaos can at least hold it's own.

The_Dragon_Rising
15-04-2008, 14:45
Lizardmen saurus heavy? Some of the best heavy infantry, personally i feel they are better than chaos warriors due to cold blooded, but otherwise mortal chaos.

Arodan
15-04-2008, 15:20
Bretonians: I think they are very elite but cav-heavy. The only problem may be the painting-difficulty.

Ogres: Monstrous (=not too elite but big and ugly:D)

Chaos: The warrior heavy chaos army looks great but warriors have some balance problems in this edition.(I still prefer them:angel:)

Lordsaradain
15-04-2008, 15:32
Khorne Chaos Mortal = über pwnzor elite

If you specifically don't want a horde army, dont get any marauders; (except perhaps one unit of marauder horsemen) get warriors and knights, give them mark of khorne and make some chosen too.
Chosen of Khorne are incredibly capabable in melee but expensive, so you'll have a small elite army, just like you want.

Lord Raneus
15-04-2008, 15:48
Bretonnians are a pain in the butt to paint; they're elite, and certainly very effective, but the painting....

I'd suggest either a Khornate Chaos Warrior force, as mentioned, a Dwarven CC army, or an Ogre army. I, personally, would suggest you do Ogres as they are a much rarer army, and it's always nice to play an army that no one else really does.

Gorbad Ironclaw
15-04-2008, 15:53
If you are looking for what would be the hardest, then VC from the list above.

I'd stay away from chaos for the moment, as it's likely redone very soon. CC Dwarfs can work, it's just not as good as VC(IMO). Another option would be Brets, they are fairly elite and will play very well used like that.

Emeraldw
15-04-2008, 16:30
A CC Elite army can be done with many armies. Hordes of Chaos jumps to mind quikcly but certainly High Elves and other elite type armies can do the same. I think the question to ask is, what kind of elite? High T, High Str? Low T, High Str? Grand Magic? Shooting of some kind in the list? Cavalry or infantry? See there are a lot of different armies and they can all be made to play different ways.

Of the ones you mention, I think Hordes of chaos are your best bet. Vampire counts have elite special and Rare units, but not so great core. Dwarves are rather slow and need the shooting to really bring the fight to other races. You can run CC but it doesn't work as well imo. Hordes are probably the best. However you are in a difficult position because this November the new Hordes book is released with new models. You can be certain however that Warriors and most like Knights will not be changing. Marauders will surely be in the list as well.

TheDudeGuyMan
15-04-2008, 17:16
Warrior heavy chaos armies tend to be... poor. If you want an elite infantry army, go with High Elves or the new Daemons. If you want elite cavalry, Chaos mortals will do, but IMO Vampires or High Elves would do better. I have a bias against Chaos mortals if you couldn't tell.

Gaftra
15-04-2008, 17:18
have you considered the new daemons? you can build an army around some VERY hard hitting terror causing or chariot riding models in pretty small number because of the massive points sink.

monsterofthedeep
15-04-2008, 17:56
i would also say if you want a small elite army elves are the way to go. The High Elves fit this niche perfectly and if you want something a little more gritty then the new Dark elves will be out in August(most probably). of course it may be that you dont like elves which is fair enough.in which case i would wait for the new mortals of chaos book. or of course ogres.

so ye i voted chaos because from what i have seen of them dwarfs struggle without a decent firebase and i have yet to see a cavalry heavy vampire list under the new book,although i guess such a list could be good.

mrtn
15-04-2008, 20:07
How fast do you want to build the army? If you're a slow painter and/or poor (money) you could start on a chaos army now, check the WD list that will come in a couple of months, and if that seems to be on the right track, finish the army when the new armybook comes in November.

Chaos Warriors are considered overpriced ATM, but one unit of chosen should be usable now, and most likely after the revision too, as it seems likely that CWs will be buffed in some way.

Mike KK
15-04-2008, 20:20
tbh small elite army. then high elves fit the bunch but as you don't like elves i would say not dwarves because too slow and get picked apart before you get to combat

chaos mortal are rubbish unless you spam tzeencth because such a low model count for something that gets raped by lore of metal

sauras as mentioned above work well as one of the best infantry block units they are very nasty supported by stegadons/ kroxigors they tough bunch to shift also cold bloodied means harder to get unlucky on leaderships

W0lf
15-04-2008, 20:32
Anything but dwarves.

In 6 turn games all fottslogging CC dwarves are terrible ineffective. They just dont get enough time in CC to do their thing.

the_raptor
15-04-2008, 20:39
I don't believe you can make a dwarf CC elite army that is competitive. Dwarves have little manoeuvrability, and thus get punished badly for taking a small army. Also the slayer list isn't legal any more AFAIK.

Draconian77
15-04-2008, 20:45
Lizardmen. Easy to paint, elite as long as you dont Skink spam and very good in combat with very nasty characters and supporting units(Kroxs/Stegs/Terrs/Saurian Cavalry)

Wolfblade670
16-04-2008, 06:26
What about an elite BOC army? Could that work?

the johnanator
16-04-2008, 07:46
It could, espically if you took a Doombull as a general and then minatours become Core (if i remember correctly) But in saying that it is kinda similar to ogres but far more expensive to buy and IMO the figures arent that flash. I think daemons are wicked, I am considering a force of them but i really like nurgle and i cant see plastic being made for them anytime soon so i think i will go khorne. Also remember the HE rule that changes the orginisation chart, this helps make a very elite CC force.

Good luck either way.

The Red Scourge
16-04-2008, 10:03
Ok, so I've been looking to get into playing Warhammer for awhile now, and I've decided I want to use a CC heavy elite army, preferably one that's easy to paint (I play Guard in 40k, so the one thing I don't need is another hoard army...).

I've been seriously considering both mortal Chaos and Dwarves (Though I can only afford one). Chaos would be Marauder and/or Warrior heavy, while with dwarves I was hoping to avoid a SAD list and instead focus on CC (I rather like the slayer list, but the Doomseakers are gone from the online store...). I've also wondered about the possibility of building a knight heavy VC list by taking two units of ten skellies as core and then globbing on the cav, but I'm not sure how viable that is. Any suggestions?

P.S. I don't like elves...

Well.. If you'd wanna do slayers, I've got some for you.

6 Doomseekers
15 Slayer Pirates
and 2 Dragon/Daemonslayers.

Wanted to do one myself, but I lost interest – wanna do some beasts instead.
So if you've got a fair bid, I'll part with them.

BTW: They are still virgin e.g. not painted.

CaptScott
16-04-2008, 10:11
Chaos. Hard as nails, uber characters, great painting/conversion opportunites, small numbers, throw in some trolls/ogres/dragonogres/giants. Its got all you could want (except the new codex, which is not too far away)