PDA

View Full Version : Mounted character on monster in unit

koningswulf
15-04-2008, 17:46
Just out of curiosity can anyone says where in the rule it states that you can allow a mounted character on a monster to join a unit?
or is it even allowed? Reason I ask is because we had this discussion without flame tho, just curious :D

It states in the rules that:
Quote:
Monsters always fight individually; they can never join other models to form a unit, except when they are ridden by a character.

Its all depending on if the exception is in regard of a character on a monster being able to join a unit OR if the exception is refering to a monster being able to form a unit with a character something it normally cant do.

As it is in line discussing the monsters ability to form a unit I find it rather clear that the right interpret is that the exception is refering to a monster being able to form a unit with a character.
Not that it allows mounted monsters being allowed to join other units.

On page 72 it says Characters on mounts can join units. The only exception is if there mount has the flying rule. but that rule doesnt say anything about mount as monster being a exception since under monster page 58 it states that a monster model NEVER can join units to form a unit only exception to that it may be used as a mount that makes a unit in itself.
This monster rule should make mounted monsters unable to join units of the rule is read to its letter but the wording on page72 can be interpret differently. Anyone knows for sure?

The two possible interpretetion is
1 the exception is in regard of a character on a monster being able to join a unit
2the exception is refering to a monster being able to form a unit with a character something it normally cant do

Belerophon709
15-04-2008, 19:06
The answer is simple.

The rule says "except when they are ridden by a character".

This implies a circumstance in which it may join other models to form a unit, in this case the circumstance is that is has a rider.

As a ridden monster and its' mount is considered one model (and in fact: one unit, if on its' own), it's not joining the character to form a unit.

The only times a character on a monstrous mount may not join a unit is if a) the monster is flying or b) there are special rules in place to prevent it.

I can also refer to a Direwolf FAQ in which it was said by one of the designers that a mortal chaos character mounted on a Steed of Slaanesh may not join a unit of mounted daemonettes (daemons) unless the rider himself is made daemonic by way of a magic item (chalice of chaos). This implies that, under normal circumstances, it is indeed possible.

Note that if the US of the model totals 5 or more, some of the benefits of joining a unit will be lost.

Hope it helps.

koningswulf
15-04-2008, 23:31
yes I pretty much thought so but wanted to see what people thought about the issue. There is lot of questions regarding this issue in terms on how things are supposed to work like the extra rank bonuses and amount of models needed