PDA

View Full Version : GW and Rackham

Nightsword
15-04-2008, 18:52
How do people feel about using Rackham models in a GW army? Is it allowed in many cases i.e. playing in tournaments, stores etc?

Also, which do people prefer:

Gw minis being sold unassembled and unpainted or Rackham models which are assembled and prepainted. I personally prefer GW's sculpts on the whole, and I prefer my minis unpainted but there are a few Rackham models which would fit in nicely in my army, that look better than the GW ones e.g. harpies.

What are peoples' opinions?

Bloodknight
15-04-2008, 18:59
Prepainted minis are the devil. They look like cheapo toys because they (for obvious reasons) cannot clean the mould lines away.

As for the sculpts: matter of taste. I find Rackham's minis by far goofier than GWs (although they had some good metal figures) and prefer the GW style in general, also over Privateer Press's models.

Oberon
15-04-2008, 19:01
I usually use GW models, but sometimes very fitting Rackham model appears when I'm building another army, and then it gets in. Rackham used to make suberb unpainted metal models, that is what they were famous for, and those I use if I use non-GW models. I'd never touch those prepainted things, but that's mainly because "I have seen the light", or what has been before.

Around here other manufacturers' models are accepted, some might note that you have non-gw models but of course you could play with them, never met or heard of anyone forbidding that. I would not make a GW army purely from R minis, as they don't always "fit" in GW imaginery, but some R models are so cool that they just have to be used as centrepieces/characters/special/rare models. For example, my Dragon, varghulf, and few characters are/have been R models, and if I played minotaurs there would be no question which models I'd use.

Lardidar
15-04-2008, 19:01
I hate prepaints... also not keen on many of the sculpts but a few of the old stuff is nice.

Also you could not use the army in a GW store or at a GW (and some indy) tournaments.

Ethlorien
15-04-2008, 19:08
I dislike the prepainted rackham stuff, but I have a fair collection of their metal figures (renamed their Rackham Legends line). I use them for heroes and monsters and such, as I do prefer the detail over GWs (that is not to say that I am unhappy with GWs minis at all).

I don't play in tournaments, so it's a non-issue for me.

tortoise
15-04-2008, 20:49
How do people feel about using Rackham models in a GW army? Is it allowed in many cases i.e. playing in tournaments, stores etc?

Also, which do people prefer:

Gw minis being sold unassembled and unpainted or Rackham models which are assembled and prepainted. I personally prefer GW's sculpts on the whole, and I prefer my minis unpainted but there are a few Rackham models which would fit in nicely in my army, that look better than the GW ones e.g. harpies.

What are peoples' opinions?

Rackham's metals own GW models so badly its hardly even funny. More imaginative, more detailed and better posed.

Rackham's pre-paints are for the most part pretty terrible.

I'm not sure what rackham 'harpies you are referring to however. The only stand-ins I can think of off the top of my head are reapers or gargoyles, neither of which are available as pre-paints yet.

Havesome
15-04-2008, 21:12
The prepainteds suck. The unpainted metal ones are mostly excellent. Rackham's Dwarves (both Mid-Nor and the good guys) are just cooler than GW's. The large monsters are pretty damned cool, too.

From Shadows
15-04-2008, 21:18
Not big on pre-paints, but that is a personal choice.But as far as using non GW figures in your army go ahead it is your army and your money, do not worry what other people think.

Lardidar
15-04-2008, 21:26
Not big on pre-paints, but that is a personal choice.But as far as using non GW figures in your army go ahead it is your army and your money, do not worry what other people think.

However for stores and tournaments like he asked then you may run into problems ... GW stores and tournies are deffinatly a no no.

Independants will depend on who is running it, I have been to plenty that are 'citadel only' and only a few that let you mix up ranges.

In your local non GW club against your regular opponents then it should be fine and dandy.

Oberon
15-04-2008, 21:41
Is it really that strict in UK? In here (northern Europe) no one comes to inspect what company has made your models. Some might remark "fine models you have there, they're Rackham I quess?", or something along those lines, but not even GW store (the only here) denies people play because of other models.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
15-04-2008, 22:36
The prepainteds suck. The unpainted metal ones are mostly excellent. Rackham's Dwarves (both Mid-Nor and the good guys) are just cooler than GW's. The large monsters are pretty damned cool, too.

And this is the thing with Rackham, or at least, as far as I've found. I really cannot find anything good to say about their Stunties. Horrible, ball headed monstrosities. But I still like some of their range. The same goes for my gaming group. There are ranges of Rackham we find laughable, and others we really, really like.

I guess thats the trouble when you go as stylised as Rackham. The sculpts, more than GW (which are largely practical due to ranking up etc) are genuine examples of Art. And as with Art, one mans water is another mans poison and all that!

tortoise
16-04-2008, 00:53
Agreed. It took me forever to find their dwarfs tolerable (although I always liked the Mid-nor 'chaos' dwarfs.

Havesome
16-04-2008, 02:50
And this is the thing with Rackham, or at least, as far as I've found. I really cannot find anything good to say about their Stunties. Horrible, ball headed monstrosities. But I still like some of their range. The same goes for my gaming group. There are ranges of Rackham we find laughable, and others we really, really like.

I guess thats the trouble when you go as stylised as Rackham. The sculpts, more than GW (which are largely practical due to ranking up etc) are genuine examples of Art. And as with Art, one mans water is another mans poison and all that!

Yeah, I can completely understand how someone wouldn't care for some of the Rackham line. I do find myself taking more time painting each Rackham figure than I do GW's. I guess that figures into the art thing you were talking about. Most of the time I played Confrontation, I only had ten models (give or take a few) on the table, so it was much easier to spend more time painting.

grickherder
16-04-2008, 08:16
I haven't seen any of their new fantasy prepaints, but their AT-43 stuff is way, way better than any other prepaint. They're better than a lot of people's "table top standard" stuff. As well I've heard (haven't tried it myself) that they take paint without priming. If you're inclined to add a layer of highlighting or a wash, you can consider them "pre-basecoated."

I don't own any pre-paints, but those AT-43 really raised the bar. When I saw them for the first time in person, I thought the person had repainted them, but they didn't. I imagine their fantasy line will use the same production techniques.

Bregalad
16-04-2008, 09:52
1.) Problem with most tournaments and GW shops.
2.) Different range (e.g. Wulfen), so difficult to include in a GW army.
3.) Slightly larger scale (32mm?), some heroes are a full head larger than GW minis.
4.) Different style, you have to decide yourself what fits.

That said, Rackham has nice metal miniatures and in AT-43 also good pre-painted stuff. I don't have problems with prepainted things, although I love painting myself (still have enough to paint even if buying prepaints). But in fantasy, Rackham prepaints look a bit worse and might not fit your army and stand out. Personally, I borrow from many non-GW ranges where I think it fits (e.g. Mid-Nor Incubi and Larvae for Nurgle), but I will never be in official GW shops or GW tournaments.

Hellfury
16-04-2008, 10:07
Its kind of odd, but I find it best to use GW figs (better looking infantry models) for Rackham's AT-43 game (better rules).

I have seen a pretty snazzy Red blok army using Cadian plastics.

I dont think I would use AT-43 figs for 40K though. The expense of prepaint quickly adds up. Atleast, not unless I had a huge UNA or Red blok army that I already use for AT-43.

Osbad
16-04-2008, 10:55
Use whatever figures you like for whatever game you like. The Officially Official Figures Police aren't going to come and batter down your door!

Fredmans
16-04-2008, 12:29
Whatever makes you tick. I use Rackham to great extent in three of my WHFB armies. Granted, I never play in GW stores or enter GT:s. I really love their metal miniatures and prefer painting them as well. So much character and detail in almost every single miniature. Even Wulfen can be used. I once met an opponent who used them as Chaos Spawns for his Beast army. Looked great, felt right. As mentioned before, the dwarves are a different story, with the exception of Mid-Nor which has to be one of the greatest ranges ever produced by any miniatures' company.

/Fredmans

Bregalad
16-04-2008, 17:34
Its kind of odd, but I find it best to use GW figs (better looking infantry models) for Rackham's AT-43 game (better rules).
For Apocalypse games, I will add some Karmans counting as Crisis Suits (Anakongas, Yeti), Broadsides (K-Warriors) and Piranhas (Easy Trike), as Xeno allies to my normal Tau army. They are the best prepaints so far from Rackham.
As standards, I add Infinity Combined Morat Infantry counting as Fire warriors to eep with the primate look.

Crazy Harborc
16-04-2008, 20:41
I will not use "other minies" in a army at a GW official event or GW store. Any place else.....it's whatever you have....IF it looks right on the table.

As of yet, I don't have any prepainted minies/models. If and when I have a chance I'll check them out.

Opps!!.....I DO have some prepainted cannons, stone throwers and bolt throwers. I think they are from Wizards of the Coast?

starlight
16-04-2008, 20:50
As with any company, there will be a range of models, so you will like, others not so much.:)

As long as it looks good on the table and isn't a source of confusion, game on!. :D

scarletsquig
16-04-2008, 22:01
I prefer having access to both pre-paints and unpainted models.

The 2 are not mutally exclusive, and both have their advantages

I like having the freedom to convert and paint models. It's fun.

On the other hand, there is only so much free time available to me... pre-painted games let me start an entirely new game without any time investment.

Rackham's AT-43 prepaints are excellent compared to the randomly-sold "clix" trash.

Once I leave uni and start a full-time (and hopefully well-paying) job I will probably be mainly buying AT-43 and Confrontation while slowly painting up the odd warhammer regiment/ skirmish game force.