PDA

View Full Version : VC Scouting List

Keller
15-04-2008, 19:21
I have yet to play a game with the new VC book, though I have been toying around with a few lists lately. I have come up with one that is designed for some fast harrassment, backed by some steady ranks.

VAmp Lord - General, Lvl 3 (440)
- Hunter In Dark (scout)
- Forbidden Lore
- Flying Horror
- Carstein Ring
- Night Shroud

Vampire (200)
- Hunter in Dark
- Walking Death
- Flayed Hauberk
- Sword of Battle
- Talisman of Lycni

Vampire (195)
- Ghoul Kin
- Hunter in Dark
- Rod of Flaming Death
- Biting Blade

NEcromancer (70)
- Raise Dead, Invocation

3 x 20 Ghouls w/ Ghast (168 each)
2 x 6 Dire Wolves (48 each)
Vargulf
Black Coach
2 x 3 Fell Bats (60 each)

The Vampires all deploy ahead to combine attacks on enemy units, picking off the lesser ones first. I have been torn whether to use Fire magic for added destruction, or Vampire for raising supportive zombie units with my Lord.

The Necromancer gets deployed in a center ghoul unit, with another on each side, each sandwiching a Vampire unit to enable marching. The Wolves and Bats race forward to lend support to the vampires, while the heavy units trudge into combat shortly there after. Provided the Coach doesn't steal his die, the necro will raise and boost a zombie unit as they advance.

I see the list as being fragile, but it should be able to disrupt enemy lines by forcing alot of damage straight from the start. If the Lord dies, he has the Ring to rejoin the fight from the safety of the ghouls, where he can patch himself back up and continue the fight.

Spirit
16-04-2008, 00:12
Give one of your vampires the battle standard, no magic banner, just the standard. That way if you do lose combat, its not as bad, and if you don't lose, you win by more!

And personally, if i was doing a fast harassment army, i would have 5 cairn wraith, one upgraded to banshee, with an ethereal bsb in the unit. So you have 15 S5 attacks on the charge, with vanhells if you can, +1 to combat res and if you lose (unlikely) then you probably wont take wounds. And you can stand and shoot with the banshee.

Its been my favourite unit combo so far!

2d6
16-04-2008, 10:32
If you're running with ghouls and ghoul kin you might find that using just flight/talisman of the lynci is more effective than scouting.

As scouts have to be deployed out of line of sight they usually can't see anything turn 1 so have to spend a turn moving into the open, to set up a charge on turn 2.

From inside the marching ghouls units you will be able to get first turn charges more often, and this should be a very effective tactic against war machine dependent gunlines.

Even without ghoulkin you will often find that a 18" or 20" move on turn one will put you into as good a position as you could have reached by scouting anyway.

Conotor
16-04-2008, 12:39
DEFINETLY use vampire magic. The dance is the best spell in the game.

Spirit
16-04-2008, 16:20
If you're running with ghouls and ghoul kin you might find that using just flight/talisman of the lynci is more effective than scouting.

As scouts have to be deployed out of line of sight they usually can't see anything turn 1 so have to spend a turn moving into the open, to set up a charge on turn 2.

From inside the marching ghouls units you will be able to get first turn charges more often, and this should be a very effective tactic against war machine dependent gunlines.

Even without ghoulkin you will often find that a 18" or 20" move on turn one will put you into as good a position as you could have reached by scouting anyway.

If you do this against any decent army, they will just flee, then all of your expensive heros are right in the firing line turn 1, dead vampires.

2d6
16-04-2008, 17:52
If you do this against any decent army, they will just flee, then all of your expensive heros are right in the firing line turn 1, dead vampires.

I wasn't recommending it as a force, just pointing out an alternative to using scouting, which IMO is less useful and leaves your characters more vulnerable.
Even if you hold off the charging till T2, where it becomes harder to flee your still much better protected than the scouting approach due to being in units.

If warmachine crew flee you still get to full move engage and spike the machine right?? this being the case where I figured it'd be most useful.

I wouldn't recommend sending your general out in T1 either

I would recommend investing in armour of night for either approach.

Spirit
17-04-2008, 01:14
Well, the other fact is that a flying hero (like a scouting one) only has a max of 4 attacks, but cannot take walking death, or infinate hatred.

This is where i find scouting to be more use full. walking death. S6 with 3 attacks and a bsb means he can go up against units of knights and win. Even if he does lose the combat, he needs to lose by 2 before he takes a wound. He also gets flank charges, which may not seem too good, but it allows him to avoid characters and champions in units for a turn.

People keep saying that vampires scouting and on hellsteeds are fragile, i say nuts to this! Its like saying wood elves are t3 thus must be easy to kill, it just simply isnt true. If i don't WANT the enemy to kill my hero, they wont, except under exceptional circumstances, but then, those circumstances are just as likely to occur when the cannon aims at your vampire in a unit turn one and you fail your look out sir.

I guess its just each to his own but i have only had my scouting vamp killed once, and that was against a (very ***** lucky) high elf on an eagle with the reaver bow, 5s to hit and 5s to wound with 3 shots.. but it happens

Vampires shouldn't really have a NEED to kill cannons. The worst they can do is kill a couple of cheap units or a raisable knight. Again i don't let them shoot my varghulfs and ive yet to come into a game where i have had a problem using terrain to hide.