PDA

View Full Version : white lions, competetive or not

savage_&_proud_of_it
15-04-2008, 20:26
in your opinion are white lion lists (or more specifically charace) competetive, i am a new high elf player so dont really know.

also if any one has any lists etc that would be very helpful

thankyou for your help (i hope!!!)

TheDudeGuyMan
15-04-2008, 23:54
White lions are great, but 1 or 2 units will fill their role, in a 2k-2.25k list. Armies with 3 or 4 units, or, god forbid, ranked blocks of them, are fluffy, but not really competitive. I'd say about the most white lions you could include in a list, but stay competitive, is 2 units of about 14 lions, 2 chariots, and that special character

savage_&_proud_of_it
16-04-2008, 07:16
korhil's his name

thanks for the help

the johnanator
16-04-2008, 08:09
Im also thinking of doing a charce list myself and am intersted why do you think that having more than 2 untis would make the army less competitive?

W0lf
16-04-2008, 16:12
Less competitive?

White lions are an amazing unit.

2x 20 with Fcs and a character in each and your set.

Add in an archmage, 2x 10 archers and 3-4 bolt throwers and your talking.

They are argueably the best of the 3 HE special blocks (lions/masters/guard) and as such are easily competitive.

Nice chrace trick is to put Korhil in a unit of spearmen. Stubborn ld 9 spearmen are sweet.
Oh and dont take lion chariots ever! They look so good on paper but T4 with 4+ save is... shabby for the cost.

theunwantedbeing
16-04-2008, 16:15
3+ save vs shooting, st6 ASF ws5 and stubborn.
Seems pretty damned good to me.
Getting to move through woods without penalty is a fair bonus as well.

ScytheSwathe
17-04-2008, 17:07
My avatar is a girl holding her underwear in her mouth...she has black lipstick on. Please dont guess, it just reveals your twisted minds to us all.
HAHA brilliant!
Anyway, they make for brilliant small flanking units, rank and file and they get a bit redundant. You could take a few squads of 8-10 with ranked up spearmen, that would work quite well

Gabacho Mk.II
17-04-2008, 18:01
3+ save vs shooting, st6 ASF ws5 and stubborn.
Seems pretty damned good to me.
Getting to move through woods without penalty is a fair bonus as well.

For a second there I thought you were writing about the White Lion chariot. :D

[you should have seen the look on my face! I thought GW had just recently added extra rules for the WL chariot!!!]

Gimp
17-04-2008, 18:13
Of course a white lion army is competitive.

2 units of 14 white lions (7 wide, 2 deep) suppourted by a unit of 21 Spearmen (7 wide 3 deep) with that special character and that banner that makes you ignore terrian.

thats 3 units which are stubborn and ignore woods.

suppourted by 2 chariots (the normal ones are better but lion chariots would be fluff)

add 2 units of archers, 2 bolt throwers and some mages and its done

Voss
17-04-2008, 18:17
I don't think I've seen anyone suggest that the tiranoc chariot is better than the lion chariot. 6 S5 attacks in addition to impact hits, cause fear and just the Rarr! factor are worth the extra 55 points.

Gimp
17-04-2008, 18:29
tiranoc is faster which helps with the charge.

and when a chariot gets charged it dies.

Arguleon-veq
18-04-2008, 16:05
That list that was just suggested is pretty much my mates army besides Korhil [takes a Noble with Great Weapon and ring of Fury instead, he takes Lion Chariots over the normal ones].

Lion Chariots have a 16'' charge though. Its fatser than most heavy cav and other chariots in the game. Light cav and enemy light chariots even if they do get the charge on it, will often lose anyway because they are facing 2 S6 and 4 S5 attacks.

Im terrified of the things when my army doesnt have very much shooting as High Elf anti magic usually stops you magic-ing it to death.

Your Mum Rang
18-04-2008, 16:56
I did an all-stubborn army that worked nicely once. it had:

Archmage (Silver Wand and a mix of Stones/Scrolls)
BSB w/ Banner of Sorcery
Korhil

23 Spearmen w/ Full Command + Lion Standard (Add in Korhil)
2 x 10 Archers

2 x 14 White Lions w/ Full Command (one has BSB)
2 Tiranoc Chariots
2 x 5 Ellyrian Reavers

2 x 2 Maneaters w/ Cathayan Longswords (Modelled as Lions fom the Chariots)

It worked really well and with 5 Stubborn units, could get pretty nasty!