PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Characters

minionboy
15-04-2008, 22:55
Okay, so I'm trying to make a competitive 2250 list. There are some great possibilities with vampires, unfortunately however, there are some combinations just too amazing to ignore.

Case 1: Lord + Infinite Hatred + Red Fury + Frostblade. I mean, c'mon. 4 attacks, re-roll all your failed hits, hits get extra attacks, oh and anyone who takes a wound is DEAD! :cheese: Maybe a little vulnerable, but make him a Dread Knight or Avatar of Death and he'll have a bit more protection. Somehow I can see this mounted on a Hellsteed and chopping down ogres, giants, monsters or handling any of those pesky, 2 dragon HE armies.

Case 2: Mannfred + anything. Level 4 sorcerer, raise units beyond full, 6 power dice, knows all the spells, can be given 2 arcane items and a full complement (minus dragon) of mounts.

Case 3: Vlad. Don't you hate it when your Vampire lord dies? Good thing this guy is neigh invincible.

I really am having a hard time picking a general for my future vampire misdeeds, help me!*

*oh yeah, once we get lords figured out, we'll move onto heros!

Malorian
15-04-2008, 23:00
Between the three I'd take mannfred.

Spirit
15-04-2008, 23:49
Why do you need more attacks if you are killing anything with one wound? if he is "killing dragons and ogres and giants" 1 wound is usually enough (ok 3 or 4 with ogres).

And personally, i would go with.

Red fury, forbidden lore (to get bears anger or flaming sword if you want a mount), 4+ ward, and whatever else you want.

Or if you know you WONT be fighting dragons, go for hatred, begile (re roll hits AND wounds) with the sword of kings.

minionboy
16-04-2008, 00:11
Why do you need more attacks if you are killing anything with one wound? if he is "killing dragons and ogres and giants" 1 wound is usually enough (ok 3 or 4 with ogres).

And personally, i would go with.

Red fury, forbidden lore (to get bears anger or flaming sword if you want a mount), 4+ ward, and whatever else you want.

Or if you know you WONT be fighting dragons, go for hatred, begile (re roll hits AND wounds) with the sword of kings.

I don't disagree that 1 wound is enough, but you still have to chew through armor and wards. A character with a 2+ save will still get a 4+ save from the monster killer, plus their ward. However the character is still of little use unless he gets in with some multi-wound enemies.

I'm leaning towards Mannfred if anything for the magical dominance.

TheDudeGuyMan
16-04-2008, 00:14
Use Mannfred, he's a baller.

Arguleon-veq
16-04-2008, 00:32
I reckon a Red Fury Dread Knight Vamp Lord with Dreadlance and a 4+ Ward is a much better option. He is VERY hard to deal with. Stick him with some Black Knights and It will mow down most units. Could even give him Walking Death.

That would give him 4 auto hits, 3.3 wounds. Which give you another 2.75 wounds. Then +1 Res for Walking Death and you have a Combat Res of 7 against almost anything. Even WS5 T4 4+ Save Elite infantry. Who will normally be on about 5 Res.

Thats better than a kitted out Chaos Lord on a Dragon [if charging the front of a unit].

He is also VERY hard to kill. He should win in almost any challenge when he charges. Even against a character with a 1+/4++ he will cause 2 wounds. The Frostblade combo wouldnt get a wound against that.

Manfred is awesome though, so of your 3, id go for him.

minionboy
16-04-2008, 01:35
I'm definitely open to other vampire lords, but I definitely have a strong preference for magic. I think that should be my sign to stick with Mannfred, he's tough and damn good at magic, plus he can hold his own in a fight if it comes down to it.

What do you all do with your hero's though?
I was thinking Flying Horror, Avatar of Death, Armor of Night and Scepter de Noirot just to be really obnoxious summoning zombies all over the place. -3 to shoot at (single target + armor), -4 if at long range. Anyone else have any useful or killer combos?

Gralph!?!
16-04-2008, 02:17
give him the tomb blade, red fury and scepter de noirot and other fancy stuff like walking death, dreadknight and book of arkan, stick him in a unit of bloodknights and charge, watch as that one character and unit will roll up many a unit with there strength, you can funnel your way around by summoning some zombies so you are not distracted by the pretty boys far off, flank charge and over run into another unit and all of a sudden it is your turn, you have killed alot of the little buggers that your enemy controls and now you have your self up to 13 powerdice from one bloke or in your opponents turn it would be 12 dispel dice.

now i would be crapping my self at that, especially since you can spam your necromancery spells like raise dead where suddenly you raise up about 100 sombies in a single turn.

Cap'n Facebeard
16-04-2008, 02:47
If you were fighting someone with low magic defence, you could try having multiple Vampires with Lord of the Dead, and a Lord with Master of Black Arts. Save points on troops by taking only small units of Skeletons and grow your own as you walk in.

Of course, vamps vs low magic defence is gonna be pretty nasty no matter what.

Spirit
16-04-2008, 13:55
I don't disagree that 1 wound is enough, but you still have to chew through armor and wards. A character with a 2+ save will still get a 4+ save from the monster killer, plus their ward. However the character is still of little use unless he gets in with some multi-wound enemies.

I'm leaning towards Mannfred if anything for the magical dominance.

Red fury only kicks in when you cause a wound, this means you have to bypass armour and wards with only 4 attacks, regardless of having red fury or not.

Once you do this, the character dies, and you get your extra attacks.

This means that against characters, dragons and giants, the red fury is pointless with the frostblade and against rank and file, he will still kill 3 or 4, which is plenty. Like i said if you know your fighting units of multi wound things (i.e ogres) then it is slightly differant, but to be honest, 4 hatred attacks with auto kill is enough. Because each "wound" will cause about 3 combat res (if i recall multi wound weapons get the full wounds as combat resolution)

What do you all do with your hero's though?............. Anyone else have any useful or killer combos?

I use.

Vampire
Walking death
Hunter in the dark
Armour of night
Sword of might
Talismen of lycni
Battle standard bearer

So you get.

+2 to combat resolution and need to lose a combat by 2 to take a wound, and when other untis get into combat (like the varghulf) you can combine them for an unbeatable combo, nothing will beat these guys by 2 combat res, so you should never take a wound.

3 S6 attacks (or 4 S5 if you go for sword of battle).

You scout with M9 which makes a great march blocker.

You can STILL raise zombies (tbh a unit of d3+9 zombies while your other mages are too far away to boost them will do the same things that my d3+4 will do)

You are -4 to hit basic (you will be in cover if you scout, and if you dont have the flayed hauberk you can always replace the armour, if he miught take wounds in combat)

This one has definitely been my favorite hero so far, he has pinned whole knight units and decimated archers and war machines.

heinrichvoncarstein
16-04-2008, 16:06
imo, frostblade is the worst weapon since.... since.... since ever!!! Everybody who takes a wound AFTER SAVES!! is dead for a 100pts?? :wtf: against most stuff it doesn't even do anything and if you take it you can't take any other magic items. With that said, i would vote for mannfred

Spirit
16-04-2008, 16:19
It might be bad for 100 points, but combine it with infinate hatred and beguile, and not a lot stands up to it.

Its hardly bad for 100 points then, the ability to kill dragons and fly if good enough for me.

A flying character with infinite hatred and re-roll wounds when you fail a -3 LDtest? thatl do me as my second lord in 3000 points. Hes just a missile that kills anything nasty on the board. And when you play ogres... hes just about as bad as konrad, but a Lvl 3 mage! (or lvl 4, if you want).

Jedi152
16-04-2008, 16:27
I'm considering a standard vampire with Hunter in the Dark, Supernatural Horror and talisman of the Lynci.

I figure a terror causing, M9 vampire behind their lines might cause some aggro. I'd be tempted with Sceptre de Noirot (if i can afford it, not got the book on me) to (literally) raise merry hell behind the lines too.

Thoughts?

praesto
16-04-2008, 16:28
Lvl 3 vampire lord on zombie dragon with:

Balefire spike
flayed hauberk
book of arkhan
wristbands of black gold

Red fury, infinte hatred and walking death.

The zombie dragon gains hatred as the rider becomes subject to hatred. Infinte hatred: The vampire hates all enemies. And such psychological effects are transfered to the mount. At least this is how the experienced hammerplayers in my country ruled it.

This dude is 730 points btw., that'l be 1/3 of a 2250 pts army :P.

Karhedron
16-04-2008, 21:08
It might be bad for 100 points, but combine it with infinate hatred and beguile, and not a lot stands up to it.
True but unless you know you are going to be facing lots of multi-wound models it is not that much better than a regular hand weapon.

Spirit
16-04-2008, 22:06
Well yes, but unless your playing in a tournament, most people ahvea rough idea.

I know that in my lgs i might have to face ogres, a giant, a steam tank and a dragon mage. Your probably not going to get an un-tailored list to work well with it, but then again, in 3000 points he makes a good character killer, and you can more or less assume there will be SOMETHING for him to target in that points range.

Mind you if you want a really good character killer, take the sword of kings, the carstein ring, hatred, beguile and flying.

It's a hero killing missile, if you kill the hero, you might win the combat, if you don't kill the hero or lose the combat anyway, on a 2+ you get another go!