PDA

View Full Version : 2K magic heavy Helves

adreal
15-04-2008, 23:00
Alright I am likly to face 2K of wood elves, but, my opponent wont load out on cheese, so I'm not too worried there, also I'm only using what I have painted and what fits in with the mages, if I had more archers painted, I would probs drop the spearmen for atleast 20 more.......but I don't.

LORD
Archmage
-Lvl 4
-Book of Hoeth
=360pts
Most Likly to take an offensive lore, or lore of shadow's and hope for pit of shades.....
HEROS
Mage
-Elven Steed
-Staff of sorcery
=152pts
Ok he was only chosen because I want to use a full painted army, and well staff of sorcery is pretty good, but I'm unsure, does the +1 to dispell cover all my dispell attempts or just one per turn?
Mage
-Lvl2
-Seerstaff
=165pts
She'll mainly use high magic for curse of arrow attraction and the ward save spell.......oh and drain magic if it will help
Mage
-Lvl 2
-Starwood Staff
=175pts
High Magic again, but can go for the higher to cast spells
CORE
20 Spearmen
-Full Command
=205pts
Nice solid block......and what's a high elf army without some spears?
10 Archers
=110pts
10 Archers
=110pts
I'm not a fan of using a tocken unit of archers (one unit of ten) that sit back and do nothing, with curse and actually having a decent number of them, archers can do wonders (my tomb king army taught me this)
SPECIAL
14 Swordmasters
-Full command
-Banner of Sorcery
=290pts
Okay, I know they are good (set up in 7x2 for max attacks) but they are mainly a fluff choice, and the banner will help my magic phase.....alot
5 Dragon Princes
-Full Command
-Amulet of Light
-Banner of Ellyrion
=230pts
Okay I read somewhere if you want high elf cav, don't bother with silver helms, just go for the princes. Now I don't agree with that too much, but helms have a greater chance of doing nothing on the charge (only 1 attack each) and I need them to punch through whatever they hit....
RARE
RBT
=100pts
RBT
=100pts
With Curse they can only get better.......and I have no eagles painted

The wood elf list will look something like this
Alter highborn with bow of loren and arcane bodkins (worried about this fella)
wardancer nobel
10 archers
some amount of scouts
atleast a unit of dryads
5 wardancers
3 treekin
treeman

thats what I'm sure he will take, he usually uses the wardancers and the treeman in a combo, so I'm sure he will atleast have a level 2 mage to spam treesinging atleast three times a turn (I think it's deepwood sphere, it lets you cast it as long as you have dice...). So im hoping for pit of shades and suck the treeman down, while RBT's go after treekin, then it's just wardancers (dragon princes or swordmasters) dryads (dragon princes, spearmen) archers and scouts (archers, RBTs) adn the alter (dragon prices take the hsots with the ward save spell..........and I guess I magic)

So any advise on how to use the list, what to look out for, and what changes in wargear/ magic items I should consider

GMMStudios
16-04-2008, 03:53
Im a "noob" to high elves, but wouldn't you give the lord a mount of some sort for survivability?

I like the rest of it and it is close to what I am going to make. Have fun!

TheSanityAssassin
16-04-2008, 04:36
Im a "noob" to high elves, but wouldn't you give the lord a mount of some sort for survivability?

The Lord will probably just chill out in an archer unit or some such, so he probably won't need any survivability other than...not getting hit....and with Book of Hoeth he doesn't exactly have points left to spend.

The Swordsmasters, while fluffy, probably won't come in handy at all. I'd either just take more Cav, or take a block of Phoenix Guard to stick your mages in, for 4+ ward saves. It's already clear that the key element of the army is just slinging as many spells as possible and wiping the enemy out that way, so I'd go for a defensive block of infantry that cause fear and are a bit more survivable than something that'll just walk out alone as a fighty unit and get arrowed to death.

Generally I really don't like it...but it's effective where it's meant to be, the magic phase. If that's the way you want to play, then it will serve you well enough.

highway45
16-04-2008, 06:03
Cool list but if yu wnat the SwMasters for fluff fine but other wise Ph guard all the way. But if you use this in many tournys you will get comp hits out the wazoo for that many mages. But if thats no issue then it will preform for you.

Conotor
16-04-2008, 12:46
I'd say you should take out some archers for more RBTs

adreal
17-04-2008, 10:20

na if he hides in a unit he is pretty safe

The Lord will probably just chill out in an archer unit or some such, so he probably won't need any survivability other than...not getting hit....and with Book of Hoeth he doesn't exactly have points left to spend.

The Swordsmasters, while fluffy, probably won't come in handy at all. I'd either just take more Cav, or take a block of Phoenix Guard to stick your mages in, for 4+ ward saves. It's already clear that the key element of the army is just slinging as many spells as possible and wiping the enemy out that way, so I'd go for a defensive block of infantry that cause fear and are a bit more survivable than something that'll just walk out alone as a fighty unit and get arrowed to death.

Generally I really don't like it...but it's effective where it's meant to be, the magic phase. If that's the way you want to play, then it will serve you well enough.

well I don't really have pheonix guard....well I have 5, but they arn't built or painted, which makes them pointless for this army, the Only other cav I could put in would be silver helms, but that just doesn't feel right

Cool list but if yu wnat the SwMasters for fluff fine but other wise Ph guard all the way. But if you use this in many tournys you will get comp hits out the wazoo for that many mages. But if thats no issue then it will preform for you.

This isn't for tournies, right now it's just for a weekend game, and maybe against VC. but i'de probs swap stuff around for them (more rbts, an eagle, more knights, white lions)

I'd say you should take out some archers for more RBTs

Don't have any more RBT's painted, they are getting built, but I have quiet a backlog before I even worry about RBT's