PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Ogre Lists

TheDudeGuyMan
16-04-2008, 00:30
Hey everyone out there, my friend was asking for some advise on his Ogres, and I didn't know what to tell him. The Ogre army list, when used with MSU, seems like it just has too much frontage, so it can't bring all its arms to bear (because it's just so unwieldy), but you can't rank your units, so your only other option is to have a few really powerful units (with scary characters and junk) which is kind of like saying, "please, shoot me to death, I want to die."

So I was wondering: could you post some of your Ogre lists? Or just post some advise on what tactics you use? Or your character set ups?

Runt Nosher
16-04-2008, 02:13
I found that the most competitive lists I've used with my Ogres are ones that max out on butchers and ironguts and minimalize bulls/gnoblars. The downside to this is we don't really get any magic items that help us cast/dispel spells so you need to take 3 + the obligatory Tyrant. Backed up by one or two units of three naked bulls w/ a bellower for bait/flank charging. After you have that basic core filled just load up with as many Ironguts as you can adding Gorgers/Giants/Maneaters at your discretion. In the rare category I do like Giants but Gorgers are probably more effective for the cost. Other than using Skragg it is pretty tough to really kit out your Power Dice Pool but it is known as being a rather competitive list. One thing I've been thinking of lately is switching out a butcher for a Bruiser to help spread out my H-t-H. I have a tournament coming up in two weeks with my ogres and was also kind of wondering how I should go about optimizing my list.

CarlostheCraven
16-04-2008, 03:51
Hi

My current Tournament List is built around impressive soft scores through a list built on variety (and since I tower at 6'6", have a well-developed beer gut, and scars on my forehead, makes me somewhat resemble the ogres I am playing), I have every ogre type present, and focus on mixing bait, hammer, and support units. So far it is 10-1 in playtest, and 4-0 (3 massacres, 1 solid) in tournament play.

I deviate strongly from the naked bull/max butcher approach, although it certainly has merit.

My list at 2000 pts
Tyrant - HA, Tenderizer, Wyrdstone Necklace, Luck Gnoblar
Bruiser - HA, BSB, Rune Maw, lookout gnoblar
Butcher - Bangstick, Dispel Scroll, tooth gnoblar
Hunter - 2 Cats, Longstrider

Core
3 bulls - LA, Ironfists, Musician
3 bulls - LA, Ironfists, Musician
3 Ironguts, Musician
3 Ironguts - standard warbanner (add BSB here), Musician
20 Gnoblars
20 Gnoblars
8 Gnoblar Trappers

Special
2 Leadbelchers

Rare
3 maneaters, Cathayan Longswords, HA (add tyrant here)

The list has two brutal, durable hammer units, plenty of bait, and just enough support units.

Regarding the magic phase, I cast 4 spells + 1 bound item per turn and find that the returns I get from it for 185 points is fabulous. In my opinion, adding a second butcher gives you dimished returns for your points investment, while if you add a third, you reach an acceptable level of potency, but at a cost of 390 to 520 points depending on build, its too much for my taste.

In all honesty, its the gnoblars that make the biggest difference. I used to play with just 8 trappers, but I finally forced myself to assemble and paint 40 of the little blighters, and in every single game they are fantastic - their greatest feat being a flank charge on a night goblin unit containing a warboss on the bottom of turn 6, breaking him and shifting a minor victory into a solid one.

Cheers,
Carlos the Craven

SevenSins
16-04-2008, 21:32
The too-much frontage problem generally only applies first round. After setting up bait-bulls and ironguts in your first turn you'll have more room to maneuver.
Carlosthecraven: that is an interesting list, I might try something similar although I'd have to find an alternative to the maneaters (and I wonder.... I'm beer-gutted and 6'5", is this a common OK player trait? of cource me being norwegian, we all look like that.. the men anyway)

Malorian
16-04-2008, 21:41
Bruiser w/ tenderiser, heavy armor, sword gnoblar
Butcher w/ bangstick
Butcher w/ dispel scroll

4X 3 bulls w/ extra handweapon
3X 3 irongut
2X 3 bulls
6X 20 gnoblars

2X gorger

This list does very well (I'm sure some of you have seen my battle reports).

Edit: Currently 11W-3L-1T

TheDudeGuyMan
16-04-2008, 22:05
Wow those are a lot of units. So, you must throw a few up front, have them flee some charges, then countercharge? Panic tests must get a lot of your men.

What are your thoughts on Yhetees? They'd be able to run around through terrain to get a nice angle on the enemy, especially in an army so packed full like this one. I think I'm going to go read some of those battle reports.

Malorian
16-04-2008, 22:29
I can't find my old post on battleline tactics so I'll just write it again.

This army works in pairs of units. My front line would be the 6 gnoblar units forming one long line (each unit 6X3+2). Behind each of these are alternating units of ironguts or bulls with extra hand weapons. So six units in the front with six units behind them.

This alone does two things:
1. If a gnoblar unit bickers then it only slows down one ogre unit behind it.
2. Everything is nicely lined up for the counter charging.

Behind the line are the naked bulls (to deal with scouts first and then fill in the line where needed) and the eaxtra unit of extra hand weapon bulls where ever they best fit in depending on the terrain.

With the gnoblars I can do several things:
-screen more firepower than you put out during the entire game
-they can move up and redirect units I don't want to deal with
-they can move up (11.9 inches from front of ogre unit behind it), get charged and die leaving the enemy a hard overrun or get charged.
-they can move up and flee a charge letting my ogres charge the opponent
-they can stay where they are and die, so the charger overruns into my ogres behind, and on my turn I counter charge with the ogre units besides them
-pelt dragon riders to death (poor dark elves king...)
-cheap unit to hold table quarters

Because I'm running a screen (and a bickering one at that) it takes me a while to get to the enemy, but by the time my screen is failing me I'm now ready to charge you with all my unwounded ogres and my gorger are in place (if not already eating your warmachines).

I can't remember if it's all my losses, but at least two of them are against tomb kings who can get past these tactics by magically recharging if I bait/redirect them. The tie is also against tomb kings. (Before facing tomb kings I didn't even take the 1 dispel scroll and had the cook book instead.)

TheDudeGuyMan
17-04-2008, 00:04
Haha, I really like that tactic a lot, seems really nifty, and very ogreish--send in the little ones first, big'ns do the clean up. Yeah, the new VC who can re-cast their movement spell will be annoying for this list too, then, I suppose. Very cool though, I like your ideas a lot. Don't be offended if I steal them.

Lordmonkey
17-04-2008, 01:25
An entire list of bulls with ironfists, bruisers including BSB and a tyrant strikes me as effective. I could, however, be going mad. How about this list:

Tyrant, Bullgut, Jade Lion, kineater big name, Heavy Armour, Ironfist - 303
Bruiser, Heavy Armour, Iron Fist - 144
Hunter, 2 kitties - 185
Bruiser, Heavy Armour, Battle Standard, RagBanner - 144

Total Characters: 776

8 Bulls, Ironfists, Standard Bearer - 340

8 Gnoblar Trappers, Snarefinger - 52

Total Core: 1072

Gorger - 75
Gorger - 75

Total Rare: 150

Grand Total: 1998 pts

Cram the 3 bull units together, play refused flank and charge as one. With a BSB and leadership 9 tyrant in range, panic checks will not be an issue, and when you hit, be sure to hit with multiple units to ensure victory. Roll down the line, rinse and repeat.

The hunter is a good distraction who can also go after small units and harass the enemy. The gnoblars work with him. The Gorgers can either assist him by tying up threats, form a formiddable flank, or can turn up to assist the bulls as they sweep around the other flank.

This list isn't unstoppable. It isn't even that good. But then, I don't think that Ogre kingdoms are good anyway.

Voodoo Boyz
17-04-2008, 02:35
You guys are nuts.

I'm currently finishing up my Ogre army to take to a GT at the end of this month and to some other tournaments the rest of this year.

MSU, maxing out on Iron Guts and Butchers is the way to go from what I've found. You'd think that dropping the Butchers down some you could get more units and it'd be better, but it's really not. It's about getting those critical spells off to keep you in the game, either staying Stubborn to stick around after combat or casting the panic check spell 3 times to open up a hole to flank through in a line. Or worst comes to worst, use the Tyrant to combo charge in with a unit of Iron Guts to the front of a ranked unit and break through that way.

Here are my two tournament styled lists:

2000 Points
Characters
Tyrant - 295
Wyrdstone, Tenderizer, Longstrider

Butcher -155
Scroll

Butcher -155
Scroll

Butcher -155
Bangstick

Core
3 Bulls - 115
Bellower

3 Bulls - 115
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

Special
2 Lead Belchers - 120
Bellower

2 Lead Belchers - 120
Bellower

Rare
Gorger - 75

Gorger - 75

2250 Points

Characters

Tyrant - 295
Longstrider, Wyrdstone, Tenderizer

Butcher - 155
Scroll

Butcher - 155
Bangstick

Butcher - 175
Skullmantle
Scroll

Core

3 Bulls - 115
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

Special

2 Leadbelchers - 120
Bellower

2 Leadbelchers - 120
Bellower

3 Yhetee's - 195

Rare

Gorger - 75

Gorger - 75

guillaume
17-04-2008, 02:39
Tell your friend to go here:

www.ogrestronghold.com

it is a great forum dedicated to OK, with hundreds of army lists, and lots of tactica to play MSU or deathstar (10+ models per unit with tyrant and butchers)

Tarliyn
17-04-2008, 02:43
why no standard bearers?

Lordmonkey
17-04-2008, 03:06
MSU, maxing out on Iron Guts and Butchers is the way to go from what I've found. Here are my two tournament styled lists:

From what I can see, way too much frontage in this list. Against CC heavy, you wont bring the whole army to bear, and they will lose to combat resolution. it will also get clogged and bottlenecked in dense terrain. Also, an army with even reasonable shooting will panic this list off the board. Good magic defense, not a great deal else though.

I like the Tyrant build - very good assassin! :)

fubukii
17-04-2008, 04:04
the extra frontage isnt bad if you are playing on a 4x6 with moderate terrain. its actually better if a unit of 3 panics its not as big of a deal as a unit of 8 or 10. In addition more units means u get more chances to flank and or redirect and it makes it harder to flank your units.

Runt Nosher
17-04-2008, 06:02
This is the list that I've drawn up that I thought would be a good take all comers army...

Tyrant - Tenderiser, Wyrdstone Necklace, Luck Gnoblar, Fistful of Laurels
Butcher - Dispel, Skullmantle
Butcher - Dispel, Bangstick
Butcher - Dispel
4 Bulls - Light Armour/Iron Fist, Banner/Bellower, Look out Gnoblar
4 Ironguts - Banner/Bellower, Warbanner, Look out Gnoblar
3 Ironguts - Bellower
3 Ironguts - Bellower
3 Bulls - Iron Fist/Light Armour, Bellower
3 Bulls - Addition Hand Weapons, Bellower
2 Leadbelchers
2 Leadbelchers
3 Yhetees

2248 pts

The idea would be to totally refuse a flank and march up one side of the table with all my bulls out front soaking up damage (hopefully with some toothcracker/trollguts action to help). My Leadbelchers will camp the center of the board trying to protect my flank and potentially my rear against flying stuff. The Yhetees will try and find a way through terrain where ever it appears on the board. My magic phase will probably consist of 3-4 dice spent on Braingobbler/Bonecrunchers and 4-5 dice on buffs for my units. Even though my opponent can also dispel them in his phase it kind of works like a drain magic against potentially over powering magic lists. I have no idea what I will do if I come across a new Daemonic Legion army or a two Treeman list, other than going nuts with my Tenderiser... Any tips? I also don't like having to take 3 scrolls but I am very scared of a magic heavy list like Teclis or the rumoured 14 pd Vamps. With the right spells getting cast in the right situations I like the versatility that this list has, just doesn't have many things to answer the crazy lists like 2 stanks and shiznit.

guillaume
17-04-2008, 14:27
From what I can see, way too much frontage in this list. Against CC heavy, you wont bring the whole army to bear, and they will lose to combat resolution. it will also get clogged and bottlenecked in dense terrain. Also, an army with even reasonable shooting will panic this list off the board. Good magic defense, not a great deal else though.

Well, you would think so, but I have run an MSU ogre army with some success.

With three butchers and 8 PD, I can attempt 6 spells a turn, as I would cast 4 of them with 1 PD only, and 2 spells with 2PD. Thus in the first turn, I try to augment my units as much as possible, by casting the regeneration or stubborn spells on as many units as I can.

With several units with regeneration and or stubborn by turn 2, I am able to wistand some shooting and avoid panic.

The idea with so many units, is to indeed bring 2 units in combat. It is difficult at first, but movement is key: this demands practice. But when handled well, it can be devastating.

To avoid the issue of buildings and forests, yehtees are one way to make sure units are not blocking one another.

The reason for not including banners WHATSOEVER, is because with an MSU army, you would include 5-6 banners. As you will likely loose 2-4 units per game, you will give your opponent 200-400VPs in the first place.

No banners means no VPs for your opponent.

The second reason not to include banners is that ogre players in general have found that combat is either won by many combat resolution (for example charging a unit in the flank, and killing 4-5 models) or losing by many (charging a 5 rank deep unit with FC and killing 1 model).

Although a generalization, it has hold pretty true so far. Either I send suicidal bull units against large units and they will not need a banner, or I am charging in the side or with 2 units, and I am going to win combat nonetheless thus not needing the banner either (kind of a selfprofessing theory as I put my units in situations where they will win by lots or lose by lots).

Again, for those who really want advice on OK, go and look at ogrestronghold.com

It is a very good forum, and OK MSU are discussed at great length.

But I must say, having started OK last christmas, and have done very well with MSUs

Mercules
17-04-2008, 15:13
The idea with so many units, is to indeed bring 2 units in combat. It is difficult at first, but movement is key: this demands practice. But when handled well, it can be devastating.

Yes, practice is key. While I still sometimes deploy poorly(forget to leave enough space for a unit/character in certain area) I am getting better at setting up my movements.

I now disperse like crazy. Looking at my advancing line will not show a clear line. Instead you will see a unit out front here with units at weird angles to it. I'll wheel, march straight towards the enemy and then wheel again so that if the enemy charges that front unit and overruns I'll still have LoS to charge them in turn.

My goal for each game now is not so much to win, as to always fight with a unit in the enemy's flank and never allow a flee/overrun to contact the wrong unit. Once I have these two things ingrained so they happen automatically I believe the winning will come easier.

Sterling
17-04-2008, 15:46
I was going to make a long post, but everything has been said already. My opinions can be found by reading Runt Nosher, Voodoo Boyz, fubukii, guillaume & Mercules, just reread those posts and picture me saying it with more style ;)

oh, and props to guillaume for the stronghold reference.

Malorian
17-04-2008, 16:52
Voodoo boyz: If I was to run a no gnoblar with that 2000 list basically exactly what I would do. The only thing I would change is take away all the bellowers from the ironguts to get more gear for the butchers.

Sterling: I see I wasn't on that list of people you agree with. You want to throw hands? ; )

Sterling
17-04-2008, 18:17
Sterling: I see I wasn't on that list of people you agree with. You want to throw hands? ; )
You posted a gnoblar-heavy list... while it is certainly fun and it's not a bad list, it's not tournament competitive in my experience. It's usually too vulnerable to animosity and gunlines that use a few war machines (it's fine against standard guns, but not against a cannonball bouncing thru the little green fellas) and your particular list has shaved off too much magic defenses for me to see doing well at tourneys.

I do love me some gnobbos, but not when it comes to "playing for keeps". I had a unit once pass a terror test and cause 2 wounds to an exalted demon :) good times.

when it's time to play for all the marbles and Rhinox Riders aren't permitted (they usually aren't now), then tenderizer tyrant, 3 butchers, 1 bull unit, 8 or 9 trappers, 2 gorgers, 3 leadbelcher units or 2 yhetee units (or a mix of those) and all remaining points spent on Ironguts.

Malorian
17-04-2008, 18:39
Sterling: All I can say is that there are a hundred and twenty insulted gnoblars that can't wait to get their hands on your army...

Do you live anywhere near Fort McMurray?

Mercules
17-04-2008, 19:11
when it's time to play for all the marbles and Rhinox Riders aren't permitted (they usually aren't now), then tenderizer tyrant, 3 butchers, 1 bull unit, 8 or 9 trappers, 2 gorgers, 3 leadbelcher units or 2 yhetee units (or a mix of those) and all remaining points spent on Ironguts.

Some when it comes time to show that you understand how to play, you'll choose a list that will be very likely duplicated to the model across most of the OK players?

I'm sorry but I look at Malorian's list as very Fluffy and capable. That said mine doesn't look like his but I'm really sick of the "X,Y,Z, and the token Bull unit" OK WAAC lists.

It would be nice if people could show up at tournaments with a list that didn't look like a cake recipe they downloaded. Not that the book gives us a whole lot of good options, but lets try something else, yes?

3lwap0
17-04-2008, 19:21
It would be nice if people could show up at tournaments with a list that didn't look like a cake recipe they downloaded. Not that the book gives us a whole lot of good options, but lets try something else, yes?

You just said it right there. The book doesn't give us many options. Go look at the new HE book, or VC. Those guys have options out the wazoo. I'm fairly jealous at the amount of configurable units they have. If you're playing Ogres, you've already decided that you want a greater challenge, and are willing to accept a few inherent disadvantages compared to other armies which don't weigh so heavy in the 'con' column.

WAAC that list may be, but if you're in a tournament and you're not playing for keeps, then why did you even bother trying to compete? The reason you see the same lists is because they're proven, and work (sans a bonehead player). Don't like it? Don't play in a tournament.

Edit: This has been a great tread to see what other OK players run. I see myself trying a few different lists to see how I like them, espeically the gnobbo heavy list. (Gonna have to get more though, grumble grumble)

Malorian
17-04-2008, 19:31
I'm a very competitive player and always go for the win (although not to the extent of WAAC).

People don't like my wood elve list as it has no magic defense, and said it would lose, but I made it though the tournament without a single loss and even had a massacre to my name.

The point I'm making is that there is (even in ogre kingdoms) different ways to make a list and as long as you have a plan and you know what you're doing you'll be very competitive.

Hell you could make a list that maxes out on scraplaunchas and hunters and then take maneaters to tie up any units coming to take them out. Now those are three units that people generally don't take in ogre armies because they "aren't worth it" and yet they could work very well in this case.

Sterling
17-04-2008, 19:45
heck no... I'm in sunny Florida. Why would anyone intentionally live up in the frozen tundra? Besides, upsetting gnoblar is like stepping on an ant's nest... who cares? either kill them or move, just don't stand there or eventually they will overwhelm you.

I would play you online, but I am on the internet via my phone, which makes it tough to access pictures.

Mercules
17-04-2008, 19:53
WAAC that list may be, but if you're in a tournament and you're not playing for keeps, then why did you even bother trying to compete? The reason you see the same lists is because they're proven, and work (sans a bonehead player). Don't like it? Don't play in a tournament.

Why be in a tournament if I am not playing for keeps?

Well, so that I run into different players since they tend to gather in such locations and will often travel farther distances than normal to play. Because playing a game can be fun and challenging and it gets dull facing the same people/armies.

The reason you see the same lists over and over is the Internet. Seriously. Pre-internet if you played a game like this or a CCG you would see all kinds of interesting builds. People might cross pollinate a bit of information, but for the most part you wouldn't get a couple people's op pinion shouting down something else. At least most of the people on Warseer are open minded enough to say, "Hey, if that works for you..."

There is more to going to a tournament than winning and loosing. When the chips are down... wouldn't you rather have your opponent looking at your army and trying to second guess what you might do instead of looking at the same list he has fought time and time again although with a different body on the other side of the table?

Heck, in playing Magic the Gathering I've built entire decks out of, "The worst card in the set." I had someone state card X was the worst card in the set. I disagreed and then put my money where my mouth was. Sure enough it was that card that shut down people's decks the way I played it and decked them out. The great thing about it was that I could take on 4 of the 5 "metagame decks" and do well. The Goblin deck of the time absolutely owned me because I couldn't stall him and then set up my tactic using the "worst card". This was FUN to take to a tournament because people started playing it and had no clue what I was playing and how to deal with it. Their weeks of prep against the top decks was worthless playing me.

Sterling
17-04-2008, 21:03
okay, Ogres don't have a WAAC army list. Anyone trying to win at all costs would simply pick a different army... Empire cannons and stanks or something. Ogres have great models, feel and fluff, and the only 2 reasons to play them is that you like the feel of ogres the best or you are broke (Ogres are the least expensive army you can buy... I can build over 1k points of ogres for $100)

I love my Ogres. I have tried a lot of lists, including massed bulls, no butchers, SLU, 2 units of 5 leadbelchers, double slavegiants and a hunter. I tried a scraplauncher, but it mysteriously smashed itself after the 4th time the dang nightmare of a model broke and became a bull rhinox rider. They are all fun, and I have been able to play and win a game or two with all of them.

that said, I have never met with more millitary success than when I play as I said before with the list we see so often. Every tourney I play is open-list, so I'm not going to surprise anyone with items. Most of the people I meet in tourneys have played for fun a lot, and they all know what my units do as well as I do. Surprises aren't common except from new books.

The point is that this thread is not for the "off-the-wall" whacko lists, or the surprise listsn or the gimmick list... it's for the competitive list. It's for the list that has the best chance of winning against the other competitive armies.

Malorian
17-04-2008, 21:17
It has nothing to do with surprises, it's about having the tactical fexability to deal with anything, and the gnoblar list can do that. If you're shooty I don't care, if you're magic heavy I don't care (unless your magic does crazy things like forces me to move or lets you double charge), if you're cav heavy I don't care... basically no matter what your list is this can handle it.

The only thing that gets past the gnoblar list a shooty army on a big hill.

This sounds quite a bit more competitve than a list that suffers when ever you are up against warmachines and shooty armies (that tournaments are full of).

Mercules
17-04-2008, 21:35
that said, I have never met with more millitary success than when I play as I said before with the list we see so often. Every tourney I play is open-list, so I'm not going to surprise anyone with items. Most of the people I meet in tourneys have played for fun a lot, and they all know what my units do as well as I do. Surprises aren't common except from new books.

I don't know... I think the 3 Hunter and 4 Scraplauncher list would be a surprise to most players and while they will know what the units do(for the most part) they won't know what the army is capable of.

The point is that this thread is not for the "off-the-wall" whacko lists, or the surprise listsn or the gimmick list... it's for the competitive list. It's for the list that has the best chance of winning against the other competitive armies.

I agree. That being said the best list is not always the most common or the one that wins the most for most people, it is the list that best matches your tactics and style of play. Again we are at the point where we are wishing for more options in our list. :)

So... when someone says, "Hey how about unit X" I get really tired of the, "Just go with Ironguts, they are the best unit we get." and "Drop that and take a Tenderizer." You have to admit it sounds a lot like, "Play like me or you won't win."

Runt Nosher
18-04-2008, 01:31
I do agree that the Butcher heavy Ironguts lists are a little too pre-fabricated but I feel like I came to the conclusion of this list by myself. I advance ordered the ogre army deal +book and a battalion before they were released and have happily played them since. I found pretty early on that the Gnoblar section of the book (fighters/trappers/scrappers) have too poor of a Ld value to go unsupported by characters. And then what? Babysit my gnoblar units with my Tyrant or go F%!@ S&*$ up with my tenderiser?

The next big lesson is that Large units of bulls don't really work en masse, only in moderation, because of their large frontages. So then you have to go MSU and Ld 7 doesn't bode very well when your screens flee through your own troops at least once per game. This is where the Iron Guts fit in well with their Ld of 8, being able to generally take care of themselves.

The last conclusion that a theoryhammerist will come to is that MSU has a pretty big weakness to armies that have a lot of Magic Missiles/Shooting. This is where the extra butcher help shines. You cannot access any items that add to your ability to dispel incoming missiles, the only thing that really helps is casting Toothcrackers and Trollguts like its going out of style. The only way to ensure you're getting these spells off is to have more than 8 PD in an army and you CAN NOT have any more than 8+ a lvl 3 Bound Item in under 3k points...

When you add all these things together you get the competitive list that everybody has shown their subtle variations of in this thread. I do no think I would fear any Gnoblar units if I had a Terror causer in my army, or enough shooting/magic to cause panic tests. I would gladly let you screen your army with your Gnoblars while they get peppered by RBTs and my Dragon gets around to your flanks. There are far too many weaknesses in an Ogre army to be exploited and the lists that are being posted here are the ones that micromanage our inadequacies best.

As per the infamous Shooty Ogre army I have tried 3 Scrappies + 2 Hunters and 6 Maneaters and Tyrant with Handguns and it really cannot pump out enough damage to make an impact before combat hits. Hunters have no equipment options so they are basically stuck with 4-5 attacks at S5ish, which isn't bad in a unit, but they are hard to support. Scrappies need at least 3 units of Gnobbies, sure with the Hunters you could make them all Trappers but they are more or less gonna get in your LoS and botch your shooting phase, especially if they are running away or bickering. Maneaters are ok but are far too expensive for what they are, stubborn does mean a lot to a Butcher free list but you can get easier access to it with your spell list, as well as the oh so necessary (at times) magic missile/braingobbler and Regeneration MR2...

I guess all I'm trying to say is I don't think I necessarily take a cookie cutter list, its just there isn't enough synergy amongst our entire army to warrant taking certain units in a competitive environment. Ironguts+Butchers+Tenderiser+Lead Belchers on a flank just compliments the process which Ogres need to take to win. IMHO this basically means guarding your rear with the 'Belchers, thinning ranks and shrugging off enemy magic shooting with Gut Magic, and combo charging with whatever makes it across the board. It's a tough copse that us ogres have been given but it is ours and I will defend my right to it with my life :D.

senorcardgage
18-04-2008, 20:30
heck no... I'm in sunny Florida. Why would anyone intentionally live up in the frozen tundra?

Why would anyone intentionally live in Hurricane central and want to be surrounded by senior citizens?

Sterling
18-04-2008, 20:47
I'll make it real simple:
up there, it gets too cold, all the women wear huge overcoats and long johns andthermal underwear.
down here, it gets too hot, and all the women wear Bikini's made of dental floss.
It really wasn't that hard a decision. ;-)

yeah, every once in a while our house blows away... but oh well.

I just wish there were more players down here.

sugarwookie
20-04-2008, 18:37
This has been a pretty good thread and although late I thought I'd throw a question out there for you. I'd really like to buils a list at 2K with Skrag and a lot of Gorgers. Has anyone done this with any success and fun: I think it would make a cool looking army and was curious on your thoughts.

wOOkie

pkain762
20-04-2008, 19:20
i've been trying to find a place for my gnoblars... cause i just started an OK army.... and the first two battles they just died..... but who cares right they're 50 pts for a unit of 24 of them......

they finally won close combat... i was very proud haha.... even though it was just a unit of zombies w/a necromancer..... but hey...i'm still proud of them.... haha

but seriously.... i've gotten some good ideas from this thread on how to better use the gnoblars.... i've been putting them in the center.... but i think i could better use them closer tot he flanks.....

or get enough gnoblars and just run a unit of gnoblars in front of each ogre unit haha that'd be funny to see

kain