PDA

View Full Version : Beastmen & Skaven vs VC's 2250pts with pics & maps!!!

Peegore
16-04-2008, 01:19
Well, another day, another BatRep. This time the Beastmen and Skaven take on the Vampires in a 2250pt battle with objectives.

Here's the link : http://peegorespage.awardspace.com/

I've added a new feature to my newly tidied-up batrep format...mouse-over images. As the name says, when mousing over a photo for each game turn, it will change to a 2d tactical map view of the battle. Hopefully this will help clarify troop dispositions, which would otherwise be difficult to see from a single photo. ( it takes a second or two for the image to load, but once it does it's instant switching... Oh and it needs Javascript running. Most pc's do though)

Feedback on this would be much appreciated... basically is it worth the extra couple of days time and effort. Or is it a tweak too far... you decide!

Of course any other comments are welcome too. I will be spellchecking and correcting later tomorrow. It's 1.27 in the morning now and I'm shattered!

Cheers, Peegore.

Arguleon-veq
16-04-2008, 02:12
Fantastic Report. Loved it.

Would it not have been safer to have the Engineer in aunit for the first couple of turns with Menghil and his boys lurking about?

Congrats on the win.

The changing map thing was a nice touch as you cant see what some of the units are from the pics.

soots
16-04-2008, 04:13
Great report.

FYI, if my vamp isnt magic orientated, the first power i get them, no questions asked and ALL the time, is infinite Hatred. its a must :)

Golden Lion
16-04-2008, 10:38
That was a very well made report! Great to see a combination of maps and pictures and an ingenious solution. Some hours work well spent! Approaching mid-battle I thought the skaven and beasts were done for but some unexpected things can always happen eh!

Agree with the somewhat unlucky placing of the warlock engineer though.

Thanks and cheers.

Peegore
16-04-2008, 11:00
The engineer. I had to laugh... I admit, he was placed with little thought. I had already committed the plaguemonks, censer bearers and skavenslaves to that flank in the deployment, and thought I'd use him to zap the direwolves. THEN, unexpectedly in the deploy scouts phase, Menghil and his band of merry Elves appeared! Who'd have pre-guessed that???

They got first turn, and I'm suprised the warlock survived 1 round of shooting.... But like any game, I never place emphasis on characters too much, so losing him was inconsequential compared to the overall game objective.

Retrospect is such a sweet thing...but staying composed in the middle of a battle when all around seems lost is even sweeter.

As for the Vampire lord and bloodline choice, only Mick knows the reasoning behind that. He has been experimenting with stripping down his characters abilities/items whilst bulking out his army. In this case, I imagine Mengil's unit cost so many points that there weren't enough points left for the characters. But that's the new vamps isn't it! Either tooled up characters OR loads of troops...

Thanks for the feedback so far. I have a feeling the tactical maps are going to be a welcome addition for most people...

Boss_Salvage
16-04-2008, 14:22
Another good 'un Peegore, and well done. Props to the rat swarms and the bestigors for going above and beyond :)

Cool to see Menghil on the field, doing bad things with all those xbow shots.

On the mouse-over maps, I honestly only used the initial one to see who was where. From then I just stuck with excellent pics + good writing ftw. But if others are finding them useful and you don't mind spending the time making them, I say more power to ya!

- Salvage

Fraggzy
16-04-2008, 18:10
great BatRep!:D

Maldred2
16-04-2008, 18:21
squeek!

well done, nice report

Peegore
16-04-2008, 19:25
Cheers all!

Hey, Boss_Salvage! Well observed input as usual. Maybe the mouseover should only be used on the deployment photo. Or at a stretch at the deploy, mid and end game photo's.

Darryl rolled like a demon for the beastmen, but conversely Mick had some REALLY bad dice rolls for his lord and the skeletons... but that's Warhammer 'innit!

And the fact you didn't point out any glaring mistakes means it must have officially gained the 'Salvage Seal' of proof-reading approval ;)

Boss_Salvage
16-04-2008, 20:33
And the fact you didn't point out any glaring mistakes means it must have officially gained the 'Salvage Seal' of proof-reading approval ;)
Ha! Need to get cracking on an official Salvage Seal then don't I :D

I think beginning and end mouse-over maps would do it for me, but maybe polling the populace is the thing to do?

- Salvage

SevenSins
16-04-2008, 21:09
Very nice format, and a good game Peegore. I second you on pre-middle-post tacticals are more than enough :)
You take your batreps very seriously, a boon to the rest of us, keep it up!

Peegore
16-04-2008, 22:46
@Boss_Salvage : Ha! Go for it! It'd be a fun thing to include, a 'Salvage Seal of Approval'.

@SevenSins : Cheers for the feedback. I think pre/middle/end is a good compromise.

As for taking Batreps seriously... I suppose I do to a degree. Although not so seriously I take notes throughout the game. I'd rather enjoy the battle while I play it than book-keep, and rely on memory and the pictures as to what happened. Hopefully this more relaxed approach comes across favourably in the reports.

I have a lot of respect for all posters of battle reports on Warseer. I enjoy reading all of them, and have always appreciated the time spent by members relaying them back to the masses in their own inimitable styles. I just thought if and when I did it, I'd like to do so on a seperate website that allowed a more graphical 'magazine' style format.

To all you BatRep posters out there. Keep up the good work. Props.

Daxio
17-04-2008, 11:59
Hi, I know that I'm rather biased, since I am featured in some of the reports, but even an individual of my tender years can see that a lot of time and effort has gone into your excellent site. Great stuff, keep it up.

Daxio
17-04-2008, 12:17
Apparently i have to post twice to become a fully fledged member of this elitist clan, so here goes.
As regards my bestigor v's VC dice throwing, as all my mates will attest, usually my dice skills are poor, on that occasion they were above average, slightly, while the Todd's were terrible, what can i say... it was about time.
It was a great game and I look forward to the next.

Peegore
17-04-2008, 12:33
Oooh double posting Darryl. There are people on these forums, not even mods, who delight in picking up on things like that. I don't think they've ever even played a game of Warhammer in their life! Their hobby IS checking for forum rule breakers ;)

ANYWAY, nice to see you've finally joined the fold, and will be able to add comments and counter comments about the battle reports.

And yes, you do usually roll like you've microwaved your dice upside-down...

BTW it's an elite clan here at Warseer, not elitist. We'd surely take offence at the second description :D

Thorgrim Brokenfoot
18-04-2008, 07:25
Indeed a good battle report.
I have always wanted to see scaven face VC, the beastemen, just turns it into a nice twist.
Realy nicely done with that many (and good) pictures ;)

yayosh
21-04-2008, 15:17
Cool report man, looking forward to the next one.

Peegore
22-04-2008, 12:34
Cheers for the praise!

Darryl and Mick are playing a game this week that I'm moderating, and I've put together a scenario for it. The teaser for them as to the background of the game is as follows:

As night fell, two stars could be seen falling in the northern skies. One pale blue like a clear spring sky, the other a raging hellish red. As they tumbled to the earth, they seemed to be spinning and spiraling around each other as if entwined, locked in a fierce cosmic struggle.

Two armies looking upon the spectacle in different parts of the land saw this as an omen. Shamen and soothsayers hearing whispering voices on the wind advised their generals the provenance of such an event must surely be sought out, for it could only be a source of godly power...

I'll try and get it posted by Mon/Tue next week...

eagletsi1
22-04-2008, 20:47
Awesome report.

Love your page.