PDA

View Full Version : Bone Giant = Dead Stream Tank?

intellectawe
16-04-2008, 03:28
Played against Steam Tanks for the first time today with my Tomb Kings. Game was fun and everything was fine.

I remembered from the TK FAQ that the Bone Giant could not use Relentless Assault on the Steam Tank, so I didn't pay it any mind.

Got home, and looked up some Q's on the TK FAQ. Then I noticed the question about RA and the Steam Tank.

Does RA now work against a Steam Tank now that it has a Wound Profile? I don't see any reason it would not. Is there a FAQ update I may be missing, or is the Steam Tank now just Bone Giant fodder?

fubukii
16-04-2008, 03:35
you have to do a successful wound in order to gain the extra attacks correct? so i dont see why not but i dont see why its that bad, you need 4s to wound it, and it gtes a 4+ save so its good but by no means gonna 1 round kill the poor stank

JayMack
16-04-2008, 03:50
You could get lucky. Those attacks themselves benefit from relentless assault.

intellectawe
16-04-2008, 04:11
you have to do a successful wound in order to gain the extra attacks correct? so i dont see why not but i dont see why its that bad, you need 4s to wound it, and it gtes a 4+ save so its good but by no means gonna 1 round kill the poor stank

Yeah.

You auto hit the tank 5 times. Lets say you wound it 3 times, you get 3 more hits. So lets say you wound it two more times, so you get one more hit. Lets say the last hit fails to wound. That would be 5 wounds the tank has to save. Even if it fails 2, which it very well might, thats pretty decent.

On a side note, what else does TK have that can hurt the tank 'easily'? Would the Casket of Souls do anything to it? I mean, the rider has a LD stat of 10, even though the tank itself does not. I would lean towards a no myself.

Dendo Star
16-04-2008, 05:13
The Casket of Souls cannot affect the Steam Tank. Most Magic cannot.

fubukii
16-04-2008, 05:35
you sure the extra attacks dont have to go through the enemys armour first before the giant gets to attack again? or maybe im thinking about red fury

Lexy
16-04-2008, 07:49
On a side note, what else does TK have that can hurt the tank 'easily'? Would the Casket of Souls do anything to it? I mean, the rider has a LD stat of 10, even though the tank itself does not. I would lean towards a no myself.
Screaming skull catapult seems a fair shot
a unit of four ushapti's might do the trick.
Even a nice block of warriors with the tomb king in it can really make a mess of it (flail of skulls for example)

Jagosaja
16-04-2008, 12:21
Bone Giant indeed gets to get more attacks before saves. He truly could mess up Steam Tank.

theunwantedbeing
16-04-2008, 12:28
A bone giant with a great weapon shreds the steam tank with ease....that said his rules are opponents permission only.

The normal bone giant doesnt do overly well at killing a steam tank..but he'll put a noticable dent in it.

The screaming skull catapult fired magically twice a turn would do a lot more damage though.
St8 d6 wounds no armour save makes a mess of a stank, a st6 bone giant....even with unstoppable assault..not so much.

intellectawe
16-04-2008, 13:54
Gotchya!

I tried to 'Skull' the tank on the first turn, but my shot scattered and ended up killing Karl Franz. In the end though, his Steam Tanks tore me up.

Also, can a Steam Tank 'leave' combat? Or is it stuck in like everyone else? Because my Bone Giant charged his ST in it's flank, and we played it as locking his Tank up.

theunwantedbeing
16-04-2008, 14:04
Yes it can leave combat if it wants, it cant if you surround it though.

Spirit
16-04-2008, 14:08

If i were to raise 5 zombies 1" behind the tank, while having it engaged in the front only, would this be enough to stop it leaving combat?

Chicago Slim
16-04-2008, 14:19
Consider that the tank, when leaving combat, will turn to face the direction it's going to move. I you set up zombies 1" behind where it was in combat (5" from your engaged troops, and parallel to their line), the tank will have plenty of space to fall out by turning sideways (which is only 50mm wide).

Two small units, at the back corners, angled to make a triangle, will keep it stuck in.

soots
16-04-2008, 14:23
Yes it can hurt it, but one turn of grinding and the bone giant is mince meat! Same with anything else i guess. that grind is one nasty sob.

I used to take the stank with no armaments and use it as a tonka truck.

Ganymede
16-04-2008, 14:23
Are you all sure that the steam tank can leave combats in its newest incarnation? I was almost positive that the new steam tank is stuck in combat.

intellectawe
16-04-2008, 14:26
Yeah, I didn't read anywhere that it could leave combat in it's rules. Maybe I missed it? Can anyone with an Empire book give us the skinny?

Masque
16-04-2008, 14:35

What leads you to believe this? The Steam Tank rules make no mention of it so presumably it works like any other unit in this regard.

Mireadur
16-04-2008, 14:41
i just read the rules, tanks can stand and shoot as only reaction to charges. They cannot leave a combat once they are engaged. Engineer inside can only get out and shoot if the tank is not engaged in close combat. Both main canons can be shot in CC. In CC, other than shooting the canons, they can use Steam points in CC. Each one spent will cause D3 S5 impacts on 1 unit.

EDIT: tanks cannot pursuit or.. rush? (dont know translation of this one, but is the movement you get after killing all opponents in the 1st round of combat and if you had charged).

fubukii
16-04-2008, 16:26
tanks can no longer leave combat

Fhoen
16-04-2008, 17:05
EDIT: rush? (dont know translation of this one, but is the movement you get after killing all opponents in the 1st round of combat and if you had charged).

overrun move?

Mireadur
16-04-2008, 23:59
Must be overrun. Thanks :p

Lordmonkey
17-04-2008, 02:58
Hmm.

Lets consider the following, roughly average situation:

Bone Giant makes 5 attacks, 3 wound.
3 RA attacks, 1 wound.
1 RA attack, 1 wound
1 RA attack, 0 wounds.

Opponent makes 2 saves = 3 wounds to the Stank.

Now lets adjust the odds slightly and say the Giant scored all 5 of his initial wounds...

Bone Giant makes 5 attacks, 5 wound.
5 RA attacks, 3 wound
3 RA attacks, 1 wound.
1 RA attack, 1 wound
1 RA attack, 0 wounds.

Opponent passes half his saves, meaning the Stank takes 5 wounds.

The first result represents an approximately average combat. The second represents the TK player getting slightly luckier with two more dice, resulting in two more wounds.

If the Stank has been worn down slightly from massed bowfire, etc, you could feasibly take it down with the giant. I wouldn't throw a Bone Giant at stank will full wounds though, unless you have a better reason than simply killing it

intellectawe
17-04-2008, 03:27
Or the Bone Giant could just spike the stupid thing :)