PDA

View Full Version : High Elves [1000] - Smashy Shooty

Marwynn
17-04-2008, 05:33
I've been trying to come up with a fun, flexible list to kill my friends with. I didn't want to rely on Magic for it, not at this points level anyway, so I tried to balance maneuverability with killability.

Noble
- Great Eagle
- Reaver Bow
- Lance, Enchanted Shield, Dragon Armour
- Will get shot at. A lot.

10 Archers
- Ignored completely or completely ignorable.

5 Dragon Princes
- Standard Bearer
- Banner of Ellyrion

7 Sword Masters

7 White Lions

5 Ellyrian Reavers
- Spears and Bows

Tiranoc Chariot

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Total - 999 points

Now I know it seems sacrilegous to go out into battle without Shadow Warriors or a Great Eagle (other than the mount) but at this level I had too many march blockers and not enough block killers.

The Noble shoots 3 S5 attacks, there's 10 S3 coming from the Archers, 5 S3 from the Reavers assuming they don't flank charge, and 6 S4 from the RBT every turn.

To top it off you have the hardhitting DPs with the Ellyrion Banner, White Lions, Sword Masters, a Chariot, and the Noble ain't too shabby on the charge either.

I think it's a good mix of mobility, range, and close combat. But then again I've been staring at the list for hours and have yet to paint a single one of these...

So please dissect this list!

Potential Opponents
- Empire
- Dwarfs
- Vampire Counts
- Bretonnians
- Skaven

highway45
17-04-2008, 06:46
Vamp hero with wp skill trans helm mounted with magic up grades and some fighty for 200 pts of so
Back him up with a necro with all the spells on a corpse cart so i can hide it in a unit. for 180 or so

2 units of 25 zombies
10 grave guard
and 20 ghouls
that comes to 999

More and more zombies would come out to play and you couldn’t due much about it. o yea i for got the necro raises d3+9 zombies with his scepter.

And if any of your units lose combat to even the most chopped down unit the run and hide because they are so small. and it will only take a little magic for the panic test to start. Pleas ignore the drunk guy rambling!!

but my main point is no magic defence at 1000s is a mistake uless you are very heavy Cav and they yu still have to wonder.

Marwynn
17-04-2008, 10:54
Do you face a lot of magic at 1000 points? Shouldn't I then have some kind of advantage in combat or shooting?

I know the Vampire Counts are tough... But I figure unless the Empire goes with a Warrior Priest and a Wizard at this level I'd be mostly okay (even then I'd let the Warrior Priest's prayers go through and just dispel the Wizard's successful casts). That +1 to dispel results has to count for something hehehe.

Dwarfs? Brets? Probably not. Skaven? Well, maybe Skaven... no clue how those guys are.

Any critiques on the units?

Ptolémée
17-04-2008, 11:22
Mmmh...If you want a little magical defense, you can take:Noble, Elve horse in armor, heavy armor, shield, lance, gem of hoet :)

Your actuall list is good ! I like ;)

Good luck in your party !

Marwynn
17-04-2008, 20:49
I think I'm just gonna weather the magical storm. Thanks, glad you like it!

I'm definitely going to expand this to 1500 and 2000 when I can.

Marwynn
21-04-2008, 10:49
Any other ideas guys? I'm gonna start assembling this soon.

aenarion67
21-04-2008, 10:55
no mages. u ohh u might aswell take 1 lvl1 mage with 2 scolls u get into combat by turn 2 with your cav. all u have to do is to hold his magic off until then. if u face 2 vamps and a necro your going to suffer.

Destroyer of Eternities
21-04-2008, 15:17
are you thinking aboot turning this into a 2000 point
if you are then i'd say get a few mages in there

Marwynn
21-04-2008, 15:37
Eventually yes I'll move this to a 1500 then a 2000 point army. I'm going to be adding Mages there eventually, probably 2 at 1.5k actually, but right now I want to get the rest of the army in working order.

Destroyer of Eternities
21-04-2008, 15:57
have u thought of including phoenix guard and caradryan. I use them in blocks of 20. There really good

Marwynn
21-04-2008, 22:59
Yes I have, in a larger points list. But I'm not going to field a block of 15+ PGs in 1000 points.

I'm thinking about it in a 2000 list actually.

Marwynn
23-04-2008, 16:24
It... did not go well.

The forces were too disparate. I had superstars but not a team... Will return to the drawing board.